Should Tron Guy Be Allowed To See Tron Movie In Tron Suit?

If you’re not familiar with internet legend Jay “Tron Guy” Maynard, well… that’s him in the picture. And while he’s known around the world for his handmade suit that replicates the look of the original Tron costumes, Tron Guy’s local cinema doesn’t want him wearing the suit inside the theater.

Talking to the TMZ, Tron Guy says he talked to his local theater to give them a heads-up that he’d be wearing the suit when he came to see Tron: Legacy. Unfortunately, he says, the “adamantly” said he wouldn’t be allowed into the building dressed like that.

Tron Guy says that he thinks the theater’s reasoning for the refusal is that it would be “too distracting.”

No one seemed to bother when I showed up in my homemade Matt Damon suit to last night’s showing of True Grit, so I’m all for Tron Guy being allowed in. What do you say?

TRON Guy’s Costume — Banned from Movie Theater [TMZ via AVclub]

Comments

1. PsychicPsycho says:

If he turns the lights off, why not?

• macoan says:

That’s my thinking. Don’t have the lights on while the movie is playing – but is no different then all the star wars geeks who dress up and waited in line to see the movie.

• kathyl says:

Yep. Suit – lights = good to go. (Or it should be okay, in my opinion.)

I’ve seen all sorts of sci-fi/fantasy movies in theaters with people who were dressed up. It’s not a big deal. The lights WOULD be a deal-killer, though.

• Chest Rockwell says:

Seconded.

Of course, this article doesn’t address the phenomenon of someone wasting so much time and money on Tron, a shitty, shitty movie.

2. ubermex says:

Theaters allow WAY more for star wars movies.

• redskull says:

Yeah, there were tons of people waving lit light sabers around at the premiers of all the Star Wars prequels, so I don’t see the problem here.

• you-toe-pee-an says:

I can’t tell if you’re ignoring the obvious or if you’re making an off-color joke about Mr. Tron Guy’s “light saber” which is very lit indeed.

3. jennleighh says:

I guess it depends if he can turn the lights off. I hate sitting behind someone who’s texting in an otherwise dark theater, so I can’t imagine sitting behind him with his glowiness.

But the costume is super-creative, so if he can switch the lights off I say let him in.

• Megladon says:

Well, given the actual actors costumes had battery power for only 12 mins, think how much time this guy has it for…. It should be out long before the movie starts

• MrEvil says:

Actually the actors’ costumes weren’t lit on set. The light you see in the original film you see was added in post production using a technique Steven Lisberger himself had developed. Don’t know about Legacy. Look forward to the DVD/Blu-Ray release.

4. hypochondriac says:

How bright are the lights? Can they be turned off? If they can’t be turned off then no he shouldn’t be allowed to see the movie dressed like that

5. pz says:

Just wear some tear-away pants and a light jacket over it, and then just take it off when you get inside.

6. Holybalheadedchrist! says:

He should have had a cameo. Missed. Opportunity.

7. jtheletter says:

Two words: Moose Knuckle.

• ScarletsWalk says:

I can’t look away!

On topic: he should not be in the theater with his lights on when the house lights go down unless every single person in there doesn’t mind.

And I would mind.

• kajillion123 says:

I’m more concerned about his weird butt

8. Straspey says:

I’m assuming this is not NY City.

I can make the point by using just five famous words…

“The Rocky Horror Picture Show”

thankyounext.

• mianne prays her parents outlive the TSA says:

There’s a huge difference between going to a midnight screening of a 35 year old cult classic film at an art house theater and seeing a first run feature at the local cineplex.

• sqlrob says:

Depends on the theater. There’s a theater here that would welcome him.

• JennQPublic says:

The shenanigans that take place at RHPS didn’t start 35 years into it. Although I don’t know how long the movie had been out for before they did start- I’m not that old.

And yet, I know every line in that movie. RHPS must be one of the greatest cinematic masterpieces of all time!

9. Angus99 says:

Tron Guy also feels mistreated that he was not incorporated into the marketing of the film, and thinks he is partly responsible for favorably preparing public consciousness about the franchise.

Not being allowed to wear his costume to the movie is just further proof of the obvious conspiracy to deny him his rightful place in history.

10. VeritasNoir says:

Tron guy’s presence is the *only* reason I would see the movie in theater.

• bogartbrown says:

I agree– the theater could use him as a marketing asset!

• Bagumpity says:

THIS. Huge missed opportunity. Had they thought about it, they would have taken a half-page advert in the local paper with “Tron Guy to Attend Tonight’s Showing, sign autographs afterward, etc.”

I would have definitely attended, and I don’t particularly like Tron. Tron Guy is cool. Anybody who is willing to put his dignity (and package) on the line like that deserves an awkward pat on the back (with as little actual physical contact as possible- don’t look down! DON’T LOOK!).

11. VOIDMunashii says:

As long as he can turn the lighting on his suit off, sure… although throwing a pair of shorts on over it might make things more pleasant for the other patrons.

12. MDSasquatch says:

As long as their ain’t no kids in the theater; then I would be okay with this guy showing up dressed like that

13. Griking says:

The fact that he called the theater in advance to warn them of his dress shows that he knew that would likely be a problem.

14. FuzzyWillow says:

If I owned a movie theater, I would want TRON GUY there. That would be awesome.

15. MaelstromRider says:

I don’t blame them. They don’t want Creepy Tron Guy there, and all the attention he, and his clearly outlined junk, will bring.

16. There's room to move as a fry cook says:

It’s electro-luminescent wire. It does have a switch.
    Sexy photos here: http://www.tronguy.net/TRONcostume/

17. Kodai says:

Anyone who wants to walk around like that in a Minnesota winter is clearly insane.

18. Mole90 says:

And a cod piece please.

19. Ben Popken says:

20. dpung says:

If he hadn’t asked in advance, they would have let him in, no problem. People dress up for movies all the time. But he gave them time to think about it. Pays to be respectful, right?

21. legotech says:

Tron guy needs to find a Transvestite to teach him how to tuck his junk so he’s not quite so……

22. Larraque eats babies says:

The movie came out last week and ‘tron guy’ still hasn’t seen it?? Guess he’s not really that big a fan

• There's room to move as a fry cook says:

He has seen it. From the Angus99 link above:

Tron Guy’s review:
      “The filmmakers even go so far as to show a (mostly) accurate re-creation of a SunOS 4.0.1 X console. (The only blooper was that the machine type was an i386.)”

23. FilthyHarry says:

Not only should he be allowed to, but for his nerd-bravery, he should be allowed to touch a girl’s boobie.

24. OSAM says:

I think the bigger issue isn’t the light of the wire, but his persona. Having TRON GUY at the theatre will attract a lot of people, will cause disruptions, distractions, etc, just because it’s TRON GUY.

25. daemonaquila says:

No problem if he turns the lights off once the movie starts. I suspect that’s what the management *really* said. It’s basic common sense and good customer service to the many OTHER people who’ll be in the theater. If you tell people not to play with their glowing cel phones during a movie, as a courtesy to others, you don’t let Mr. Shiny-Glowy man sit in the audience like a theater light.

26. vastrightwing says:

Let him in! It won’t bother me since I’ll be waiting at least 28 days or longer after the DVD release WINDOW to stream it on my TV.

27. brit2380 says:

Even if he keeps the light’s on, it’ll be the same as people who keep their cell phones on to text people. Just as annoying!!!!

28. HogwartsProfessor says:

Sure, why not? He can turn the lights off when the movie starts. Lots of people come to the theater dressed up for nerd movies.

29. MGlover54 says:

I’ve done costuming on and off for 15 years. Movie theaters generally love costumers there on opening nights and for promotions. They give us free passes and generally good accommodations for a few hours of “work.”

Tron guy, on the other hand, has a bit of a bad reputation. The “moose knuckle” is priority #1. Priority 2, he’s just kind of creepy in general. It’s one thing for a stormtrooper with a helmet on to parade around a theater, it’s another thing for an out of shape guy in a half assed costume.

A lot of it has to do with the quality of the costume. A theater isn’t going to be very happy with a cardboard stormtrooper at a SW premiere. In the group I was a part of, if we had a guy show up like that, we would tell him to leave. Same goes for his suit. He doesn’t fit the part very well and his costume looks like crap. It’s a good effort on his part, but nowhere near a screen accurate costume. If he put some more time and effort into it and maybe shed a few pounds, it wouldn’t be as much of an issue.

• ParingKnife ("That's a kniwfe.") says:

Some people put costumes on for, you know- fun.

• JulesNoctambule says:

Don’t you just sound like a lot of fun to be around.

• El_Fez says:

Ah, be it the Klingon Diplomatic Corps or a Civil War re creationist group, you gotta love a Costume Nazi!

Dude, not everyone has 2 grand to throw at a Vacuum formed customized Vader outfit like you do.

30. inkling79 says:

He should have been at the premiere. Nobody was talking about TRON 6 years ago, then this guy shows up. Hell, he’s probably responsible for Disney deciding to make a sequel.

31. anime_runs_my_life says:

I don’t see a problem with it. It’s like telling Harry Potter fans they can’t dress up as their favorite character. It’s going to draw a lot of ire and a lot of negativity with the theater. I’m just curious as to what chain is banning him. And are they just banning him totally or just banning him from wearing the costume. If it’s just the costume, find another theater to go to. I’m sure any theater manager worth their salary would welcome the free publicity and potential revenue if people hear that “the Tron Guy” was at their theater.

32. Audiyoda28 says:

Have we looked at the picture???

Middle-aged white dude in 1980’s glasses wearing skin tight spandex body suit.

The movie is, after all, rated such that kids might be in the audience.

33. ThyGoddess says:

If he turns the lights off. It’s distracting.

34. cryptique says:

How long before Letterman turns this guy into a regular feature?

Can a guy in a Tron suit…

- hail a cab in New York
    – get a hug from a complete stranger
    – etc.

35. angelmvm says:

Good lord man! smooth over the junk.. MY EYES ARE BURNING!

36. scoosdad says:

I used to be friends with a woman who worked for a time for Harrison Ellenshaw at Disney, and worked on the original Tron. She’s now an author and filmmaker. Hi Jean!

37. simplegreen says:

no, no.. tron guy shouldn’t be allowed to wear his costume in any place. geez man come on.. seriously.

38. NotEd says:

All I can say is that his ostume is a hell of a lot less dangerous that some of the costumes, complete with real, functional swords, I saw at an opening night showing of one of the “Highlander” sequels years ago.

I know it wasn’t “Highlander 2: The Suckening”, as no one was hurt that night.

39. Cleo256 says:

At a showing of Tron: Legacy, Tron Guy should have the same Celebrity Rights that let Madonna get off an airplane 2 hours before everyone else. Let him wear his costume, I say, lights and all!

40. synergy says:

Why is it people have a problem with “his junk”? How juvenile. These are the same people that wouldn’t have a problem with a Leia slave girl outfit. Oh but if it’s tits and ass half hanging out, it’s ok. /sarcasm

• MaelstromRider says:

Princess Leia outfits don’t show camel toe, which would is equally as inappropriate as ‘moose knuckle’.

41. XianZhuXuande says:

Another vote for ‘if he turns the lights off, welcome in’.

42. NumberSix says:

He’s Tron Guy. Of course it’s ok.

43. AI says:

When I saw Star Trek Generations in the theatre, there were a row of people dressed as Klingons and a row of people dressed in Starfleet uniforms greeting the guests as they entered. These people were fans, not employees of the theatre. It was one of the coolest things I’ve seen when going out to a movie, second only to Star Wars IV Special Edition in 1997.

If the theatre thinks the Tron guy is ‘distracting’ they are just further showing how out of touch with reality they are.

44. madfrog says:

Anyone want to take bets on the fact that he probably still lives in his parent’s basement?

And, if you are going to wear something like that that leaves nothing to the imagination, the only apporpriate places to wear it are:
    1) Your parent’s basement
    2) In a dark movie theater

• MrEvil says:

Ah, I always love the “Probably lives in his parents’ basement” comments. The guy is a programmer and sysadmin for IBM maintaining their Hercules project. He also has a private pilot license and has owned an airplane (I remember him trying to sell it not too long ago). It’s a fair bet that he doesn’t live in his mom’s basement and he probably makes more money than you do.

45. dush says:

People bring their stupid light up fake lightsabers to star wars movies, why can’t this guy have his light up fake tron suit?

46. chaosnoise says:

Go to anyone of the theaters IN Minneapolis proper and they’ll have no problem with you coming in dressed up. You may need to do a photo op with the staff but that’s about it. :P

47. Warren - aka The Piddler on the Roof says:

“Eric?”
    “Peter?”
    “My God, I haven’t seen you since high school.”
    “What are you doing now?”
    “I’m the red guy.”
    “Oh my God.”
    “What are you doing?”
    “I’m the green guy.”
    “No kidding?”
    “Yeah.”
    “Hey, is that Stacy Beecham?”
    “Where?”

BA-ZOOOOOSH!

48. Mcshonky says:

Not with that camel toe showing am I letting him in…………..

Buy bigger socks for stuffing dude!!!

49. FlashFlashCarCrash says:

It’s a LIGHT UP SUIT of course they don’t want it in a movie theater

50. Thanatos says:

Turn off the lights and we’re good. It’s in NO way more distracting than the idiots that come into the cinema talking and behaving like 3 year olds. Last movie I went to, the guy (around 30 years old) that sat two rows behind me talked to his momma on his cell phone the WHOLE movie and told her everything that was happening onscreen!! That was 8 or 9 years ago and I haven’t been to a movie since…..I just invested a ton of cash into a nice home theatre.

51. Frank says:

Just turn the lights off…that seems simple to me.

52. piscesdreamer222 says:

I once was a manager at a movie theater and I think they missed a huge opportunity here.
    The man was kind enough to call ahead to make the theater aware he was wanting to attend. The theater management should have jumped on that.

They should have either gone the cash cow route and added an additional screening for him and let the other customers decide if they wanted to watch the movie with him, and made a big to-do about it ala “WATCH TRON WITH TRON GUY!”, or quite simply held a completely private screening for him – Not because he is a meta-celeb but because he is obviously someone that truly relishes the experience of watching a movie, and movie theater folk (used to) love their own.

In an age where the only customers still wanting to go to a brick-and-mortar location to watch a movie are those wanting to use their HD Flip to record the move and torrent it later, it would have been a nice gesture, and a touch of class to set up something for a true fan. Not to mention it just feels good to remember what the service and entertainment industry is all about in the first place. I can only wonder how many news stories we will hear about why movie theaters are failing in the few months it takes TRON: Legacy to go from the theater to the top of our Netflix queues…

53. pegasi says:

dude definitely needs to update the costume, too retro for the new movie, plus he either needs to wear a jock to hide his junk, or needs to learn a new technique on how to make it not so noticeable……eeewww!

54. valen says:

Two suggestions:
    1. Kill the lights (at least for the movie part).
    2. Dance belts are your friend.