Burger King Tempts No One With Brussels Sprout Whopper

Be glad you’re not in the UK right now, because we know you’d be beating down the doors of your local Burger King just to get your hands on the limited-time-only “Sprout Surprise Whopper,” featuring that most beloved of burger add-ons, Brussels sprouts.

Brussels sprouts are apparently associated with the holidays in the UK (maybe they are here too, though I’ve never come across it), so the King has created a Whopper topped with sprouts and emmental cheese.

Said someone in charge of culinary development at BK UK with a completely straight face:

We believe that taste is king, and as such, we wanted to create a recipe that would challenge existing sprout perceptions, and genuinely make sprouts a flavour to be reckoned with.

Judging by this statement on the BK UK Facebook page, it appears that even in Ol’ Blighty the response to the Sprout Whopper wasn’t exactly oohs and ahhhs: “[S]orry to hear some of you weren’t too keen on the idea of the Sprout Surprise Whopper yesterday, but we’re confident that The King can make even Brussels Sprouts taste good!”

Burger King creates festive brussel sprout burger [Marketing Magazine]

Comments

1. Miss Dev (The Beer Sherpa) says:

This sounds nasty (but all BK does to me) – but I love Brussels sprouts. They’ve just received a bad rap…

2. Blueskylaw says:

Avacado whopper yes, brussel sprout whopper no.

3. RadarOReally has got the Post-Vacation Blues says:

Brussels Sprouts are a Christmas tradition in Britain, as you said. I’d be interested to try it.

4. Hotscot says:

I love Brussels sprouts too..I boil them till cooked, drain, then add a tablespoon of sour cream and coat them. Delicious.

Farts though…that’s another issue..

• RadarOReally has got the Post-Vacation Blues says:

Oh my god, my mother roasted them for Thanksgiving this year. Cut in half, drizzled with a little olive oil, salt and pepper… I like them ok, but these were out of this world. If you’re a sprouts fan, you must try it.

The other thing I saw on a cooking show was pan-browning them in a similar manner.

• JulesNoctambule says:

Roasting is the way to go. Whole garlic cloves, olive oil, a little salt — heaven.

• CrankyOwl says:

In my family, Brussels sprouts are known as fart balls. My mother steamed them lightly first and then sauteed them with butter & onions, then seasoned them w/nutmeg. Mmmmm.

5. Ilovegnomes says:

Oooh if it is deep fried, remove the meat patty and then you’ve got a really cool veggie burger. I’d try it.

6. livinginpoverty...nowinsmalltownuppermidwest says:

I’ve tried to suggest to fast fooderies to make sweet potato(yams) fries, or mashed sweet potatoes, if they want to offer veggies to us. They seem to be about the cheapest veggies out there, and can be adapted to the fast food menu.

• Southern says:

White Castle usually has Sweet Potato fries around this time of year. I don’t have one close to me any more, though, so can’t verify if they are still doing that or not.. a quick google search says they are, though.

• Cheap Sniveler: Sponsored by JustAnswer.comâ„¢ says:

A local chain (Arctic Circle, Utah) offers sweet potato fries year – round. My wife would kill me if I went there and didn’t get them. And Fry Sauce.

• varro says:

Burgerville (SW Washington and Oregon) has sweet potato fries…

• erinpac says:

Longhorn & Applebees have them.

Could have sworn I saw some at one of the fast food chains… perhaps was a trial cause I can’t figure out which one…

7. JulesNoctambule says:

Is that extra patty the sprout-and-cheese bit? If so, I’ll take one minus the beef — I love Brussles sprouts!

8. jen says:

Brussels sprouts are good (roasted, with a little olive oil and some salt), but they have no place in a BK. They shouldn’t be allowed within 500ft of a Whopper. You don’t go in to a BK looking to add to your vegetable allowance for the day.

9. NashuaConsumerist says:

I’m sorry, but I LOVE brussel sprouts (when cooked properly) and I really want to try this…

10. stuny says:

Is the first time Consumerist has turned into a recipe exchange?!

11. KeithIrwin says:

Properly prepared, they go great with beef, so honestly, that doesn’t sound all that bad to me. I’m not sure I’d count on Burger King to really do them justice, but it has the potential to be good, if not the likelihood. If they halved them and did them on their flame grill, they might be quite good.

12. Applekid ┬──┬ ノ( ゜-゜ノ) says:

The deliciousness of vegetables is directly proportional to the sum of the amount of a) butter, b) cheese, c) batter applied.

13. OnePumpChump says:

Brussels sprouts are really dependent on preparation. You boil them or steam them they’re gonna taste bland at best. You’ve got to grill them or bake them for a half an hour or more at high temperatures to have them be really good. The photo naturally doesn’t show any evidence of that, but it’s Burger king…they’re not going to do that regardless.

14. Intheknow says:

Whoppers – the only burger you can taste for days……….Way too much “char” flavor!

15. Intheknow says:

I’ll take the Brussels sprouts, but you can keep the Whopper.

16. Daverson says:

I would eat one of those.

17. Cheap Sniveler: Sponsored by JustAnswer.comâ„¢ says:

Wow. The only way to make it better would be to make it with a liver patty.
    /sarc

yuck

18. PLATTWORX says:

Burger King continues to step in it. Two BKs near my home right across the street from two McDonald’s. The McDonald’s always have a line at the drive-thru and packed parking lots, the Burger Kings are usually dead with no wait.

When will they fiqure out how to run a restaurant?

19. pbj_sushi says:

I hate fast food, but I love brussel sprouts (a LOT) and emmental cheese. I would try that in a heartbeat.

20. Michaela says:

If it were vegan, I would eat it. The only time my family makes me Brussels sprouts is Christmas, even though they are my 2nd favorite veggie (1st is asparagus).

21. shufflemoomin says:

No surprise at the suspected nationality of those against adding more vegetables to a fast food menu…

22. varro says:

Brussels Sprouts = good. Brussels Sprouts by Burger King, not so much.

Steam them for four minutes (NO MORE!), then sautee them in olive oil with garlic. NOM NOM NOM.

23. TuxRug says:

That actually looks quite delicious. Anyone want to give a total stranger round trip plane tickets to England for Christmas?

24. Press1forDialTone says:

I would love to at least try it here in the US.
    I think Brussels sprouts are also underrated.
    And they are seriously and I mean seriously good
    for you, like broccoli and cauliflower and yams and
    hominy and celery and ….. I’m sorry I just got carried
    away. Meat (any kind lean) in moderation and veggies
    in moderation and fruits in moderation and exercise in
    moderation will keep you able to eat just about anything
    you want and be healthy too.
    Good advice gramps, really good advice now if I (as a young
    person) would just take it.

25. Plasmafox says:

Brussels sprouts are great.

Weird, because I hate cabbage.

26. bananaboat says:

The only healthy item on their menu that won’t clog your arteries.

27. toadthetoad says:

I love brussels spouts. I literally eat them 2-5 times a week. The only vegetable that is better than them is asparagus. I would love to give this a try.

28. daemonaquila says:

I’d try it. I love brussels sprouts.

29. chiieddy says:

Brussel Sprouts are still in season and one of the only fresh veggies still available in many colder climates. My father-in-law generally picks them from the garden on Thanksgiving morning in Maine and we have them with dinner. Sometimes they make it to Christmas but usually not. The UK is a bit warmer than Maine. :-)

30. a_pink_poodle says:

Should have gone with the cucumber whopper.

31. Rhinoguy says:

There is an independent Burger Palace (not it’s real name) in North Carolina that fries many varieties of veggies, including carrots, sweet potatoes, jalapenos and apples (okay, that’s a fruit). They are all quite good, but the okra is tops. We have teased the owner many times about “if it fits in your fryer you will sell it”. He says “If you will buy it, I will fry it.” So we brought him a frozen squirrel….
    He might try sprouts if he got a money back guarantee from the supplier. I would try them a least.

32. wrbwrx says: