Toyota Must Fork Over $32.4 Million More In Fines

The thrashing continues for Toyota, which has had to recall more than 11 million cars since the Fall of 2009 thanks to myriad problems, including bum gas pedals and steering relay rods. The car company has coughed up $16.4 million in government fines, and now will pay $32.4 million more.

The Associated Press reports Toyota decided to pay the fees at a board meeting in Japan. The company still could be slapped with civil and criminal lawsuits.

So take heart — no matter how bad a year you had, Toyota’s was probably worse. Well, unless you’re Blockbuster.

Toyota to pay $32.4 million in extra fines [AP via MSNBC]

Previously: Toyota Recalls 1.53 Million Cars

Comments

1. Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

I would think someone who lost their job and has been unemployed this entire year and went into foreclosure has had it worse than The Buster or Toyota.

Merry Christmas!

2. UCLAri: Allergy Sufferer says:

I really wish Consumerist would put the Toyota recalls in some context so we could see just how bad it is. I’d like to see how many cars are recalled per cars sold worldwide, and see how that compares to other manufacturers.

I’m not saying Toyota has handled any of this well, but it’s annoying that we see so few comparisons and so little context.

For example, data presented like this is interesting: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Chart_mfr_data_99-00.jpg

3. Buckus says:

Toyoda will pay for this with the money he finds in his couch.

• UCLAri: Allergy Sufferer says:

While the Toyoda family could pay it, they’re actually by no means fabulously wealthy like most American entrepreneurs. Very few Japanese CEOs and entrepreneurs gain incredible wealth– the only exception I can think of off the top of my head is Son Masayoshi.

• ParingKnife ("That's a kniwfe.") says:

Yeah the Japanese, whatever other issues they find themselves dealing with, actually seem to have the CEO-pay thing about right.

4. ElizabethD says:

Cue all the Toyota diehards clamoring that they still love the brand, and quoting single data points (“My Corolla has 200K miles on it and has never given me a bit of trouble!”). Totally in denial about the degradation of a once proud brand and its former manufacturing standards.

Still loving my Hyundai. (The latest of three I’ve owned.) Former Toyota and Subaru owner here.

5. Scamazon says:

Huh, I guess GM gets a pass for all their recalls and unintended acceleration issues. Seriously, I need a new car and I want a better deal, keep on picking on Toyota

6. blinky says:

Have you noticed nobody’s complaining that Priuses (Prii, to be technical) are running away? It’s like they all got better by themselves!

I hate hysteria.

7. gman863 says:

Mr. Toyoda admitted on CNBC the company’s foucus on becoming the world’s #1 automaker came at the expense of quality control (and presumably safety as well).

Until I can quit thinking “Toyotathon” should actually be a fund raising event for crash victims and their families, they won’t get any of my business.