Doritos Bag Contains Only Three Chips

Reader D said that he opened up a small bag of Doritos Nacho Cheese chips to find only three chips and one “chiplete” inside.

UPDATE: Doritos: Sorry For Only 3 Chips In Your Bag, Here’s Some Free Coupons

The bag appeared puffed up and full like a normal bag, but upon opening, it turned out to be largely air.

doritos3oz.jpgNearly beside himself with laughter and having both free time and a scale on his hands, he weighed the bag and its contents. It came to .3 oz, far fewer oz than are listed on the side of the bag.

I’m inclined to believe it is real because of the lack of cheese dust lining the bag. Had there been more chips in the bag that he removed, I think there would be a visible powdering of cheese dust on the sides, along with some cheesy crumble bits at the bag’s bottom.

In any event, if you encounter a defective food product like the one pictured above, should document its defects in writing and with photographic evidence. Note any manufacturing codes that may be on the package as well. You can then call the company’s customer service line and they will probably send you some coupons. Hang onto that evidence so you can send it to blogs.

chipsies.jpgIn this case, if you prefer, since the bag came with a Taco Bell meal deal, returning to the franchise and lodging a complaint with the manager or calling the official customer service line might net you some coupons as well.

Comments

1. samonela says:

Story of the year!

• ChuckECheese says:

I smell a Pulitzer. It’s about time, Ben.
      In related news, I recently had a bag-ette of Lay’s potato chips at a local sandwich place. The official weight of the bag was 1/2 an ounce – 14 grams. It held 9 chips.

2. Applekid ┬──┬ ノ( ゜-゜ノ) says:

Well, now that we mentioned that whole Taco Bell + Doritos thing, am I the only one to find it completely odd that Taco Bell hands out Doritos instead of their own nachos and cheese with those $2 value deals? I mean, obviously it’s cheaper and that’s why they do it, but, that’s kind of like going to the Wonka factory and getting handed a Hershey bar when you arrive.

• MikeF74 says:

Taco Bell is owned by Pepsi/Frito-Lay, right? So they are giving away their own chips (in a sense).

• YoorCriptonite says:

Taco Bell is owned by Yum! Brands, who has a lifetime contract with PepsiCo, who owns Doritos. Shazam!

• LastError says:

Taco Bell’s own nachos are really kinda bland and tasteless. They are meant to be eaten with sauce or salsa or beans or something. They don’t work well by themselves.

As others have noted, Doritos is a related brand and it comes in a handy easy to serve bag, which is one less thing a Taco Bell clerk has to assemble. Less work means less time means more people served.

It does nothing for me. I don’t WANT Doritos with lunch. I go to a restaurant to eat food that is NOT a strong memory of the boring bologna sandwich lunch I used to eat in school.

It might be better if Taco Bell offered the “plain” version of Doritos, which is a naked unflavored corn chip. It’s not sold everywhere. So it would be sort of special.

• caradrake says:

I kinda feel the same way, but it is still a deal even without the 25 cents bag of chips (or is it higher due to inflation?). I get their gordita supreme, which is $1.87 by itself. Or I can add 13 cents and get a drink (mmmmm, baja blast) and chips, which I usually save for when I want a snack or share it with my kiddos.

3. deejmer says:

Good thing he is a drug dealer and has that handy digital scale! NARC!
    /s

• Cheap Sniveler: Sponsored by JustAnswer.comâ„¢ says:

or a user. Gotta keep an eye on those unscrupulous dealers, ya know.

• nutbastard says:

i don’t think an eightball has ever been sold that weighed more than 3.4 grams.

• Cheap Sniveler: Sponsored by JustAnswer.comâ„¢ says:

Remember when a nickle bag of weed was $5 and weighed 1/4 ounce? Ahh, those were the days. Nowadays, I could market my clean urine. (I hear there is a shortage, they keep asking me to donate at work)

• Excuse My Ambition Deficit Disorder says:

Well, I’m inclined to believe the lack of “drug” residue or dust on the scale means he could possibly be a Chip Bag Weigher rather than a drug dealer.

4. VOIDMunashii says:

It’s one of those 100 calories bags.

5. rahntwo says:

.3 oz is about all the Nacho Cheese Doritos I can stand anyway. Now pork rinds are a whole nuther subject. Bring em on!

• caradrake says:

Mmmmm, barbeque flavored pork rinds. Sooo tasty, and comes with the free satisfaction of being able to gross out my husband. :)

• macruadhi says:

umm, chili/cheese pork rinds, somebody out there listening, please add the pizza seasoning they use on pringles to pork rinds!

• Cheap Sniveler: Sponsored by JustAnswer.comâ„¢ says:

I make my own delicious pork rinds at home. Seriously: But only when I roast a whole pig. Then it’s worth the time and money to set up the turkey fryer to deep fry. I roast a mean pig. Mmm.

6. Andy Dufresne says:

It’s official. The terrorists have won.

7. Cheap Sniveler: Sponsored by JustAnswer.comâ„¢ says:

I make my own delicious Doritos at home.

• catastrophegirl chooses not to fly says:

i actually was home sick recently and had plain tortilla chips and wanted doritos so badly but couldn’t drive to get any. ended up mixing taco seasoning and the powdered cheese mix from kraft mac n cheese and shaking it on the tortilla chips. it was pretty good. not as cheesy as doritos but close

• Cheap Sniveler: Sponsored by JustAnswer.comâ„¢ says:

powdered cheese mix from kraft mac n cheese actually contains no cheese:

whey, milkfat, milk protein concentrate, salt, sodium tripolyphosphate, contains less than 2% of citric acid, sodium phosphate, lactic acid, milk, calcium phosphate, yellow 5, yellow 6, cheese culture, enzymes.

In fact, in Canada and Europe, it can’t be legally sold as “Macaroni and Cheese”, it’s called “Kraft Dinner”.

According to Kraft:

…any product with the “Real Kraft Cheese” tag contains “a cheese ingredient that meets the high standards for taste, quality and performance consumers expect when buying a Kraft-branded cheese product.”

Store brands actually have more cheese than Kraft.

• nonsane says:

This rumour has been around for a while, hate to see people spreading it more. and it’s a cultural thing to sell it as Kraft Dinner in Canada.

the not being legally sold in canada as macaroni and cheese is bullshit.. we have cheetos and all the other faux chees flavoured items, and they are labeled as such despite similar ingredients

• Rena says:

My god! HE’S STEALING CHIPS!

Well, pirating at least…

• Griking says:

Isn’t this getting old by now?

• Cheap Sniveler: Sponsored by JustAnswer.comâ„¢ says:

“I make my own x at y” never gets old.

• ZenMasterKel says:

It would get old if half the people that post on this site weren’t retarded. I make my own ____ at home. People still eat doritos? People still eat at Taco Bell? Taco Bell sucks! Doritos sucks! Oh the humanity. You need to email carpet bomb the CEO of Frito Lay and Taco Bells because your bag only had three chips.

Good lord, some people get bent out of shape over the slightest things. Why do people waste their time with this crap. This site occaisionally has some good stories and tips. It really does. But recently, it seems to be a bunch of nutcases overreacting to every little obstacle that they encounter in their mundane lives. If you’re still at the Taco Bell, just go to the counter and talk to them. I’m sure they’ll give you another bag. If you’re already at home when you discover the evil bag is light, then just breathe and calm down. It’s going to be alright. Don’t waste time and money over what amounts to a .25 bag of chips.

8. sonnetfm says:

Did he not feel the the bag before he bought it? I’m pretty sure an empty bag does not feel the same as a full bag.
    Although, Doritos + scale…maybe he wasn’t in the proper state of mind to realize this.

• enalzi says:

He bought it with a Taco Bell meal, so they either put in on a tray or in a bag and gave it to him.

• OSAM says:

So why didn’t the employee who put it onto the tray say something? I’m cynical and all, but surely there’s ONE Taco Bell employee that wouldn’t have simply shrugged and moved on.

9. CaptCynic says:

Um… contents may have settled during shipment?

settled into a state of quantum flux rendering them without mass.

10. Reading_Comprehension says:

hey at least it didn’t have two chips

11. BBP says:

In my day, a bag of Doritos was only one chips and some crumbs and I had to walk forty miles to get it… AND I WAS GRATEFUL FOR IT!

You kids and your fancy ass “GRAB BAGS” of Doritos…

• Nisun says:

What are you talking about? Did you ever try Frito’s?? Every bag had a Frito Bandito that would rob you for your chips… I remember opening a bag and the Bandito came out and put a gun in my face… He stole my chips… AND I WAS GRATEFUL FOR IT!!

12. Arcaeris says:

Well he did say it was a “small” bag…

13. chrismar says:

I had a similar experience with a can of soda. The soda apparently leaked out through a tiny hole in the bottom of the can that was virtually impossible to see unless you were looking for it. I tried contacting the manufacturer (Coca-Cola) and they simply said “Thanks, someone will be in touch soon”. 5 months later no one has gotten in touch (despite multiple attempts on my behalf to reconnect) and I still got 11 cans of soda for the price of 12.

• Ayumi~n says:

I had that happen too. Called up Coca-Cola and the guy was like “Wow, that’s strange.” He took my address and told me to keep the package. About 2 days later, I got a coupon for a free 12-pack and a letter that told me I could toss the package.

• catastrophegirl chooses not to fly says:

ayumi~n, i had the same experience in 2007. two different twelve packs of college themed cans had cans which clearly had less than an inch of cola in them before i opened them. i picked them up and immediately felt the difference. i called, two coupons for free twelve packs arrived within a couple of weeks.
        sorry that they didn’t get back to you, chrismar.

• RandomHookup says:

Usually it’s easier to go to the retailer. Big old Coca-Cola loses things in the Bermuda Triangle of consumer marketing.

14. Hungry Dog says:

That bag must have been mislabeled and it should be the weight watchers nachos.

15. katarzyna says:

I had something similar happen to me once. My reaction: I shouldn’t have bought that bag of chips in the first place, and the universe was just helping me out.

16. HogwartsProfessor says:

Oops!

I had a vision of the open bags traveling down the line and a big hose poofing chips into each bag a la How It’s Made and the hose going FFFFRRRRRTTT!!! And just these few chips fall into the bag.

17. Grungo says:

Digital scale is hiiiiiiiigh-larious!

• grebby says:

There are lots of people who cook (food, not meth) and weigh their ingredients….

• tsalaroth says:

Just about anyone in culinary arts as a trade or educational study.

• Egat says:

However, few of those need or own a scale accurate to 1/10th of an ounce.

• s0s has a chewy nougat center says:

Wrong. I’ve never done weed, or any other drug (I rarely even drink). I do, however, bake artisan bread and other goodies. My scale is accurate down to 0.1 ounce, and to the whole gram. An accurate scale is absolutely essential for getting the best results, when you’re baking by weight.

Anyone who’s serious about their baking, or about dieting, probably also has a scale with similar measuring capabilities. They’re cheap, and easy to come by.

• JennyCupcakes misses her grandson says:

I was going comment, I’m on a “diet” (more of a lifestyle change) and I use my scale to measure out portions. Granted, I have been known to party with M.J. but I never used my scale to measure that stuff.

P.S. Diets + pot do not mix.

• Happy Tinfoil Cat says:

people doing shrooms have to have an accurate scale or they could die.

• HungryGal says:

I use a digital scale at work… for mixing ink colors and computing postage. However, its splattered with ink and thus obvious its used for thus. (we also have a fancy smancy ‘counting scale’, a bank money counter, and a boring shipping scale with only one decimal point.)

But yeah… there are plenty of legal reasons to weigh small things!

• drjayphd says:

It’s probably safe to assume that’s not being used for meth anyways, considering if it was, whatever teeth he had left wouldn’t be firm enough for chewing…

• Rena says:

Lots of scientists out there too.

• tbiscuit360 says:

If you read Cooking for Geeks, the author argues very well how bad measuring solids by volume is because of how much variation you can have. 200 grams of something is always 200 grams of that thing… 1 cup of something is not always ‘1 cup’

18. fsnuffer says:

It is not a plot by some secret anti-carbohydrate society. It was some sort of mechanical error. No story here

19. c!tizen says:

shrink ray?

20. Happy Tinfoil Cat says:

Here, give me the bag of chips. smash, smash, smash.
    Happy now? You got a thousand chips.

21. lance55 says:

Where did that scale come from? Do you have a side business?

22. MacUser1986 says:

I knew chip bags were getting emptier and emptier but this is ridiculous!

23. The cake is a lie! says:

Dammit, Phil… I’ve had enough of your…. wait a second. BEN??? What are you thinking posting stuff like this?

• wrjohnston91283 says:

Hey at least this isn’t a story where the OP is cleary wrong and trying to get a company to honor a coupon that’s expired or complaining about an advertised price they misread.

24. Buckus says:

Dorito’s Lite!

25. Pax says:

Quality control fail, is all. I’m sure this happens some small percentageof the time, and 99.99999% of those under-filled bags are removed from the production line before final packing and shipping.

This is just the one-in-a-bazillion that managed to get through, is all.

• Clyde Barrow says:

Exactly. Back about 13 years ago, I bought a cake of Degree deodorant and when I pulled off the plastic cap, there was a sharp, edged piece of plastic which has fallen right on top of the cake. If I hadn’t been paying attention I could have easily cut open up my underarm like a razor. I was working as a quality engineer at the time so I wrote corp a note, sent them the deodorant, and they sent me a bunch of non-expiring coupons. It was cool. They can use the processing code on these products and go back to determine exactly what time and area that these products were made to try to eliminate this happening again, but things like this do happen.

26. italianbaby says:

dorito’s is owned by frito lay, a division of pepsi co and taco bell is a division of yum
    all under pepsi co.
    basically, it’s all in the family…

• Cheap Sniveler: Sponsored by JustAnswer.comâ„¢ says:

Incestuousness

• Max5695 says:

Pepsi does not own Taco Bell. Yum! Brands, Inc. is an independent company. They broke away from Pepsi in 1997.

However, Yum! Brands does have a lifetime contract to use Pepsi products.

27. sirwired says:

You really don’t have to take photographic evidence for publishing here… this is a pretty straightforward manufacturing defect for which coupons are routinely sent without quibble.

28. stevied says:

General Mills took care of me quite well.

Noticed my fav granola bars were a little short. Ignored the first one. Second one in the package was short as well. I called CS when the 3rd one was short.

Got some coupons for a free box and save half off or something for a couple more boxes.

Before anybody else tries this, always remember those production codes mean something to companies. I know my products, General Mills knows theirs as well. The most likely cause for the bars to be short was then end of a production line. The production codes better match up with what you claim. If they do, then freeby heaven. If they don’t, your name goes on the fraud list in my company (and I suspect others as well).

• sharkzfanz says:

Im sorry but im glad I do not buy products from you….. To think you would assume just since the a person complaining is the only one from that production line it was fraud thats nieve. One package can be damaged or wrong. It slips by QA and into consumers hands. Relax and dont assume so much. Remember the saying Assuming makes and @$$ our of you and me….

29. Zowzers says:

My spoon is to big!

30. wetdog2 says:

Why is this an article? Call the 1-800 number on the back and they’ll send you some coupons for more Doritos so you can stuff your face. Sheesh.

• RadarOReally has got the Post-Vacation Blues says:

It’s an article so consumers who might not be a savvy as you know what to do and what to expect if it happens to them. Chill.

31. neverreallyshocked says:

At least they won’t be accused of “downsizing” the packaging!

32. sjgarg says:

This past Sunday we had a product error incident.

My roommate drinks Lakeport Ice on a regular basis and when he opened his latest case (24 bottles), one bottle was mis-capped or something. The cap was off to one side, not on it tightly at all, the beer wasn’t completely full and it was flat.
    Photos: http://superjay.timduru.org/lakeport/.

He wanted to chalk it up to fate, but I went ahead and e-mailed Lakeport using the e-mail address from their site and explained what happened and attached the photos.
    I received a response from Anheuser-Busch InBev-Labatt Brewing Company Ltd. on Monday and they told us to call them.
    I called them thay morning and spoke with an agent and she said they saw the images. She asked for the production code from the case and took down our address.
    She told me they take their quality control seriously and they will look into the production line to see what happened.
    She will also send us a voucher/check for a free 12-pack of Lakeport for our trouble.

33. gmacek says:

Don’t take too much offense, Consumerist, but this didn’t really deserve an article. Unfortunately this person got a bad bag from the production line. I seriously doubt we’re trying to call out Doritos for someone only getting 3 chips in the bag. Like someone else said, call their customer service, get some coupons, and move on. Nothing more to see here.

• Scorps1 says:

I agree…. It is a LAME story of which lately there have been a few. Personally I think that if the Consumerist wishes to remain relevant they need to stop publishing crap like this. The OP worked way too hard to make an issue out of this.

Not working for Frito-Lay but working in the industry, Frito takes quality control very seriously and would bend over backwards if you call their customer service number. Their route drivers lose their jobs if they have outdated product in stores and the product is still good for a long time after the best by date.

34. dvdchris says:

There…are…FOUR…Doritos!

35. Levk says:

Well you see the commercial was right the bag of chips is free and you get what you paid for!

36. ZzFDKzZ says:

Hahaha

37. SagarikaLumos says:

Coincidentally, I recently bought a meal at Taco Bell, and found that 3 Fire sauce packets were nearly empty, too. They appeared regular thickness, but only had about a drop of sauce inside. Fortunately, they had given me about 5 and 2 of them were ok. When the first one was like a wet fart, I had already decided to open all of them, regardless of content, to see if any more were empty. I guess the factory had a bad batch that day.

38. gamblepsu says:

I’ve found a couple empty unopened cans in my 12 packs from both Coke and Pepsi…I used to keep them, but they are long gone now.

39. Excuse My Ambition Deficit Disorder says:

I now have a name for the little broken pieces at the bottom of the bag…”chiplete”…..Thank you OP for putting a name to the almost forgotten, left behind pieces.

40. yessongs says:

That bag is too small anyway! Get a bigger one.

41. ZenMasterKel says:

42. mike says:

Um…Shrodinger’s cat anyone?

The bag of chips was actually filled before he opened it. The fact of opening said bag made the chips disappear.

43. a_pink_poodle says:

Oh that’s Dorito’s new FUN SIZE chips!

44. narcs says:

after eating at taco bell did you really need more than 3 chips afterwards?