Terrorists Beware: Toledo Express Airport Gets A Full-Body Scanner

‘Tis the season to give, and it seems Toledo Express Airport in Ohio is the newest recipient of some fancy holiday largess: This week it was announced that the regional airport, boasting five departing flights per day, will receive a full-body scanner. Our tax dollars at work!

Toledo’s WTOL 11 reported the security upgrade, adding that crews are being trained to operate the equipment.

The airport’s few daily flights for Delta and American ferry customers to other points in the Midwest, including Chicago, Minneapolis, and Detroit — just 45 minutes away by car.

See below for the TSA’s newly updated list of airports with full-body scanners:

* Albuquerque International Sunport Airport
* Tampa International Airport
* Toledo Express
* Tulsa International Airport

Full body scanner added to Toledo Express Airport [WTOL.com]

Comments

1. bite back says:

Former head of Fatherland Security, now lobbyist for airport scanner manufacturer is certainly earning his pay.

2. FuzzyWillow says:

MHT does a fair more amount of business, they don’t have a scanner.

• FuzzyWillow says:

Maybe the people who frequent Toledo Express Airport are connoisseurs of security theater. Support the arts!

3. Robofish says:

It’s a waste of money. I’m upset that BWI has one.

• Rachacha says:

Question being, while BWI has one (several I believe) have you EVER seen it being used? BWI is my preferred airport, and I travel typically 30,000 miles/year by air, but I have NEVER seen the unit at BWI in use, and I have only been asked to step into one of the new scanners once. If these scanners are the latest/greatest technology in thwarting terrorism, one would think they would be used as often as possible. If they are not being used, they simply become props in Security thea…never mind.

• falnfenix says:

it has been in use…not frequently, because apparently it’s often broken, but they do use it.

• tsukiotoshi says:

Last time I went through BWI (early November) they were shepherding one line through the scanner but it was jamming everything up so much that by the time I got there the TSA guy looked at me, looked back at the scanner, then sent me through the normal way.

• Red Cat Linux says:

They were working in Early November. I’m not flying if it means having to go through those things. On my return trip, the airport had one, and only one. Everyone else used the metal detectors.

• Megalomania says:

BWI is hardly a small airport, although there are tons of good reasons to be angry about the scanners in general.

4. chiieddy says:

Funny. Portland, ME doesn’t have one? That’s where the terrorists for 9/11 actually boarded.

5. SecretShopper: pours out a lil' liquor for the homies Wasp & Otter says:

Holy toledo! five departing flights per day, they definitely are a terrorists playground and need invasive security measures

6. danmac says:

I’m jealous…why don’t we have one in Yakima, Washington? I guess it’s because we have only 4 daily flights to Seattle…how will I ever feel safe now? I just have this feeling that the strip mall on Yakima Avenue is a prime terror target, and now I can’t sleep easily knowing that the TSA is there to protect me :(

7. AngryK9 says:

I am waiting for one to be installed in Nantucket Memorial.

• Tim says:

Actually, Nantucket Memorial is the second busiest airport in Massachusetts, with an average of 448 aircraft operations a day (much more in the summer, much fewer in the winter, of course).

• GrayMatter says:

They did body scans in Nantucket
      ………
      …..
      …..
      ………

(A prize for the best limerick. A better prize for a printable one. An even better prize if the printable one is actually funny.

• The cake is a lie! says:

There once was a terrorist in Nantucket
        Who thought he would try his luckett
        He got on a plane
        Made it go down in flames
        And they collected his remains in a bucket.

• amuro98 says:

They once did full body scans in Nantucket.
        The people complained but endured it.
        “Come get scanned.” said the guards,
        “They make great Christmas cards.
        And can be downloaded for free on Photo Bucket.”

• The cake is a lie! says:

They did body scans in Nantuckett
        Most passengers just said ‘fuckit’
        The TSA was certianly tested
        Half the travelers were arrested
        While the rest looked for words that rhymed with Nantuckett

• The cake is a lie! says:

They did body scans in Nantuckett
        I had to empty all the contents of my pockets
        I endured the body can
        I proved that I’m a man
        And at least nobody touched my junk-ett

• Straspey says:

They did body scans in Nantucket,
          Open your shirt and please un-tuck it.
          They can see in your ass,
          That you’re carrying some grass,
          A gloved agent will now deconstruct it.

• mk says:

They did body scans in Nantucket
      The TSA said “you can suck it”
      Our freedoms are done
      The terrorists have won
      Live free or die – guess we fucked it

8. DevsAdvocate says:

It’s not even funny anymore how dumb the government is…

• Chaosium says:

It’s not so much “dumb” as willing to lie about efficiency for the sake of theater and propping up the ex-DHS head who now lobbies for the Rapeyscan machines.

• The cake is a lie! says:

I read something recently which was a perfect analogy to what our government is doing to us right now. It is scary how accurate this is. My aunt was a victim of domestic violence and was ultimately shot and killed by her ex-husband moments before he killed himself. It scares me how closely the following analogy, and the fate of my aunt, seems to resemble our government right now…

Right now we are a woman getting beaten by her husband/boyfriend. We can throw a fit and leave or call the cops and the violence will end. Or we can say, as so many do, ‘he isn’t really this bad, he did it for my own good, I did something I shouldn’t have, etc’. And the beatings will continue and get worse and her quality of life and confidence will degrade into nothingness. She will get used to the beatings and take them as the new normal.

Many people look at women in abusive relationships and say, ‘how did that happen, why does she stay?’ The answer is because she didn’t put her foot down when it started.

9. MuffinSangria says:

DHS and TSA, not a brain cell among them.

10. Blueskylaw says:

See below for an updated list of America’s safest cities:

1). Toledo, Ohio

11. Nighthawke says:

Oh and remove the “e” from Corpus Christie. It should read as Corpus Christi (CRP).

I might not hurt to include the airport codes due to many cities have more than one airfield capable of passenger service.

12. The cake is a lie! says:

I don’t agree with the scanners, but it actually is a good idea to beef up security at these smaller airports. Think like a terrorist for a minute… Say you need to get something TSA doesn’t allow on a plane from LAX to JFK. LAX has heavy security, so you decide to hit an airport with minimal security and a greater chance of getting your contraband through. Then you get on a plane from that airport to whatever routing it takes to get you to LAX so you can proceed with the plan. Maybe you are just passing the supplies off to another passenger who will then pass them to another and another and so on. I’ll bet you could sneak all the pieces required to really do some damage through a number of minimally secured airports and then assemble them on the other side of security at whatever location you wanted to assemble them at. It is the little airports connecting into the major ones that are the real security threat.

• evnmorlo says:

The logic of anti-terrorism has no limits. Lots of small towns receive millions of dollars in DHS grants because they are so insignificant that they could become significant targets. Yet with all the expenditures and oppressive measures taken there is no need for new terror attacks.

• The cake is a lie! says:

Our own government has become the new terrorist… It is sad and true.

To quote something I read recently:

• c!tizen says:

Ok, thinking like a terrorist…

Fuck getting on the plan, lets just launch a guided rocket at it.

• The cake is a lie! says:

Silly boy… thinking like a terrorist would have put you in the middle of the plane wearing explosives to be detonated over a city. Terrorists are suicide machines. They don’t typically fire rockets. ;)

Ok, I’m being a little too literal, but whatever. ;)

• amuro98 says:

Thinking like a terrorist…means I wouldn’t bother with the airports at all.

If I wanted the most ‘bang for my buck’ I’d be looking at other places where lots of people gather but have little – if any – security. Like they did in that one episode of Lie To Me where a bomb went off in a shopping mall.

Or if I wanted to just cause mass confusion and chaos, study the infrastructure of a city and learn where its power distribution centers are. Heck, blow the right ones and you could take down a large chunk of the grid. You can thank the last Die Hard for that one.

13. Phil James says:

Whats sad is that i live here in Toledo, Ohio and I fly out of Detroit! I usually have a friend or family take me to the airport and give some gas money!

• cromartie says:

I lived in Toledo for years. Never flew out of TOL. I don’t understand why anyone does, frankly. If you live east of Secor or north of Dorr, DTW is much easier to get to. Airports, like other businesses, are about location, and that one is one of the worst there is.

14. hotdogsunrise says:

Interesting… body scanners in Rochester, NY, but no other upstate city. I’m not surprised that the government thinks Rochester is filled with terrorists!

How do these airports even get picked?

15. Chaosium says:

Stop using that image for full-body scanners. It’s old technology, and not the much clearer images stored perpetually on full-body scanners.

16. sir_eccles says:

Woohoo, Xmas bonuses at Rapiscan and the Chertoff Group!

17. dilbert69 says:

I’m 100% opposed to the scanners, but putting them in small airports with few flights makes sense. Were I a malefactor intent on smuggling contraband, one of these small airports is precisely where I’d choose to board.

18. AntiNorm says:

As much as I loathe the TSA, I opted out of one of those scanners last week, and I was surprised at how non-gropey the patdown was. I was also surprised at how professional the TSOs involved were about the whole process. No snark, no attitude, just a patdown, and they didn’t even touch my happy sack.

19. Joseph S Ragman says:

Wow … five daily flights … wasn’t that long ago there were easily ten times that number of flights by noon …

20. BorkBorkBork says:

So basically, if you’re a terrorist, just fly out of any airport that’s NOT listed above. Brilliant.

PS I opted out of the backscatter on Sat at SLC – they just ran me thru a metal detector and sent me on my way, no pat-down required. Security theater at its ‘finest.’

21. Sparkstalker says:

Richmond is on the list, but Norfolk isn’t…and I’d bet Norfolk is busier…no sense whatsoever. But that pretty much is the MO for the TSA.

22. theotherwhitemeet says:

Why aren’t the TSA employees allowed to wear dosimeters? If the body scanners are as safe as they say they are, the TSA should have no problem allowing their employees to wear one.