Do Not Move Your Xbox While A Disc Is In The Drive

B learned the hard way that Xbox 360s like to eat games when you flip the machine from vertical to horizontal orientation while playing. He sought out the publisher for a replacement and has been stuck without the game for several weeks while the company spins its wheels. Note: the disc pictured is not B’s.

He writes:

I purchased Fallout New Vegas within days of it being released in early November.

During a play session my Xbox was changed from vertical to horizontal orientation. This resulted in the disc in the drive (Fallout New Vegas) being damaged and rendered unreadable.

On November 8 I called Bethsoft to ask how to pay for a replacement (the retailer refused to return it even though it was well within the 30-day warranty window saying I was on my own) they responded very quickly with an email explaining that I would need to respond with my address and some other information and that they got that, that I would be able to return the disc to be replaced. I had to call back on November 15 to ask about my RMA number, which took 24 hours to receive. I sent back the disc on November 19th and they got it the following week.

After waiting a good 10 days or so I called again the week ending December 3rd only to be told that there were no discs available. So I waited another week and called again to be told “no discs available”. At this point it is becoming a farce as they tell me things like “we have to order them from the distributor” and other plausible yet totally weak excuses.

At this point it has been 7 weeks since I first started on this odyssey and I am perturbed that I have yet to be able to actually play this game, even given the glitches that I have heard of.

I would just like them to send me a replacement disk so I can get to playing.

It’s tough to find an example of anyone talking to a game manufacturer and getting a replacement disc in a timely manner, but seven weeks seems ridiculous. On the other hand, B is sort of lucky that Bethesda is processing his warranty request because the disc was mangled as the result of his own actions.

Comments

1. Grungo says:

“During a play session my Xbox was changed from vertical to horizontal orientation.”

Translation: “My Xbox fell over.”

2. c!tizen says:

a.k.a. it fell.

3. Hi_Hello says:

wow. I didn’t know the would replace a disc that you damaged.

• AustinTXProgrammer says:

They should. You aren’t paying $50+ for a $0.10 piece of plastic, you are paying it for a software program that isn’t destroyed.

Games publishers should be setup to replace any disc of any age for $10 or something. I would gravitate to the publishers with good customer service.

As it is, they want to quash used games, but still treat the disc like a physical product when it suits them.

• lordargent says:

$10 is too high.

It should be like $2 + shipping, we’re talking about a 20 cent piece of plastic. The extra $1.80 would be for labor costs (taking the disk off a shelf and sticking it in a mailer).

• jefeloco says:

Exactly, replacing a disc he destroyed through negligence. This joker has no claim to stand behind when it comes to Bethesda not overnighting him a disc (or whatever he expected). While I agree that publishers “should” have some sort of replacement program for unreadable discs (and they typically do replace them without much hassle if the disc was incorrectly pressed or had other manufacturing defects), the fee should be high when it is unreadable due to negligence; it is not their fault that you broke your disc, no matter what you paid for it.

My brother decided to move his PC back when the original Unreal Tournament came out. He was loading up the game at the time and I’ll never forget the sounds, oh the sounds! First there was this scuttle-like shift sounds, followed by a high pitched zing and ending with what almost sounded like a .22 as the disc literally exploded in the drive. Amazing, and not the manufacturer’s fault.

4. pythonspam says:

And by that he means it fell over – perhaps a sibling/feline preferred it in the horizontal orientation…

5. lance55 says:

I learned this lesson long ago when the 360′s first came out. My roommate moved my Xbox (while it was OFF) to a different shelf – one that was slightly angled, maybe just a few degrees. After playing a game for several hours, the disc became extremely scratched and unplayable. Talk about a low threshold.

• brianisthegreatest says:

This doesn’t sound right.

• lance55 says:

When I walked into the room (he was playing the box) I could hear the disc slightly making contact as it spun in the tray. It was not tilted very much at all, but he should have been smart enough to figure it out.

• EtherealFlame says:

This happened to us as well. Ours was laying on the power cord (we werent aware of this at the time) and slightly tiled. R.I.P. Left 4 Dead and Half.com to the rescue.

6. ClemsonEE says:

I thought this was common knowledge ever since the xbox 360 came out and hundreds of people complained about it? DO NOT MOVE XBOX WHILE DISC IS SPINNING!

Either this guy’s xbox fell over and he’s lying about it, or he just got his xbox…

• Cleo256 says:

Really, you shouldn’t move any disc while it’s spinning in any player. Portable CD players put a lot of engineering design into trying to minimize skipping and disc damage while playing a CD.

The XBox 360 became notorious not for damaging disks if you move it while spinning, but for damaging discs in the tray when the system was off. That was a novelty.

• TooManyHobbies says:

Yeah, this is a big “duh” for me. It’s a gyroscope when it’s spinning. It doesn’t want to change orientation and if you force it, the disc will warp and hit the reader.

• Robofish says:

I wouldn’t even move the ps3 or wii while the game is running. I’ve moved them both when they are OFF and there is a disc in there. No issues with that.

• Myotheralt says:

I done know about common knowledge, but I think it is in the XBox owners manual.

• Satertek says:

It’s not common knowledge to PS3 and Wii owners. We’re spoiled with slot based drives instead of trays. Not only can I rotate my PS3, I can drop my it a few feet onto something soft and it’ll keep spinning safely and happily (had to demonstrate this to my roomate to explain why I rotated the 360 while it was spinning), while the same drop with a 360 will nearly shear the disc in half.

7. gorby says:

“Xbox 360s like to eat games” when you flip them around… yeah, that whole “rotating objects have a rotational axis” thing is totally Microsoft’s fault. If the console fell over, then it shouldn’t have been left on an uneven surface. If he actually moved it, then it’s still his own damn fault.

8. ehrgeiz says:

I had rockband broken this same way but it was because the xbox was knockeded over causing the xbox to mark a big line in the middle of it making it unreadable. I used a disc repair tool and it smoothed it out and it worked just fine again.

9. brianisthegreatest says:

Got a bit of a sense of entitlement don’t we? This is how spinning drives work. You move the drive around while the disc is spinning inside, and you’re going to scratch/scuff the disc–bottom line. Please make sure your console is in a permanent position at least while you’re playing a game. Please don’t cry when you’ve made the mistake of ruining your own stuff. Is the game publisher to come out and hold your unstable xbox upright for you, so this doesn’t happen in the future?

OP is bad.

• sqlrob says:

The publishers like to whine that we buy the license, not the media.

Well, if that’s their line, they need to suck up the bad with the good.

• cbutler says:

THIS

• brianisthegreatest says:

Right. So, if I take one of my physical copies of a PC game, take out the paper with the license on it, make it unreadable, I should go ahead and get that replaced.

It doesn’t really work like that for the Xbox. Since you have no option of keeping a license separate from this game disc, I would think you would be sure to keep that game disc in working order, which is also your license to play.

Also, I have no sympathy for people who have problems with consoles and the media that goes into them. Stop playing console games. My PC Fallout New Vegas can’t get scratched. Also, the license exists under a managed account–that need not be represented by physical media. Maybe this guy should have bought a version of the game that was a little more permanent. Plus, he could have made it look a little better, that’s never a bad thing. ;]

• dee1313 says:

Excellent point.

• Applekid ┬──┬ ノ( ã‚œ-゜ノ) says:

I tried to buy the Xbox that takes cartridges instead but I couldn’t find any.

• brianisthegreatest says:

Yeah, if only any of my three laptops I’ve had didn’t scratch discs when I moved the unit. How dare Microsoft not defy these odds with the Xbox. Physics is tough.

• Sidecutter says:

Um. How is the OP entitled, exactly? He admits the mistake was his. He isn’t expecting to necessarily receive a free replacement.

From the OP: “On November 8 I called Bethsoft to ask how to pay for a replacement…”
      He contacted Bethesda with the intent of paying a reasonable fee for a replacement disc if necessary. They gave him instructions, he followed. They have not yet asked for any kind of replacement fee, but if they do…he has already indicated he would pay it. His problem is that they haven’t bothered to continue the process in a reasonable fashion after he followed their instructions and he would like them to get on with it.

• brianisthegreatest says:

If guess entitlement is justifiable by the idea that he was willing to pay a reasonable fee. Um… Ok.

• Sidecutter says:

He’s asking for a replacement and is willing to PAY (not only willing, but expected from the outset that OP would need to do so). By definition, this is the exact opposite of entitlement. Entitlement would be asking for something for free.

“My disc was damaged. Can I purchase a replacement disc for the game from you, publisher?” and then following the provided instructions from the publisher is a world apart from “My disc is damagd! You owe me a new one!”.

Again, the OP isn’t complaining about not getting a free disc, the OP’s complaint is that the company is not following through on their end of a process that they have in place to assist customers who need to obtain a replacement disc due to damage. The OP did what was asked of them by the company, they simply want the company to complete the process. That isn’t unreasonable or entitled at all.

10. MaliBoo Radley says:

I believe this very issue is mentioned in the guide that comes with an Xbox. There are warnings. Not exactly blaming him, but don’t think it’s on Bethesda to replace the disc.

• supersat says:

I know that the Wii game manuals warn against making backups and saying that they are “not necessary to protect your investment” or something along those lines. The only way publishers can say this with a straight face is to offer disc replacements. Otherwise, making a backup and modding your XBox to play it seems like a prudent thing to do.

11. Larraque eats babies says:

Can it recognize it at all or is it just locking up randomly? I scratched my L4D2 disk a couple weeks ago when my xbox moved. Huge scratch around the disc. The xbox would still read it and recognize it but wasn’t able to play it.

If that’s the case, rent a copy and install it to the xbox hard drive – then see if the original disc still works far enough to recognize the game.

12. dohtem says:

Not just Xboxes, DVD and CD Players too. When you are moving them, take the discs out.

• AllanG54 says:

I don’t know about CD players. The one in my car will stop playing for a few seconds after I hit a pothole or bump in the road but it’s never ruined the CD.

• ludwigk says:

CDs rotate much slower than DVD drives, so they’re much less problematic when it comes to bumps. DVD drives can spin so fast that the centrifugal force will occasionally shatter optical discs.

13. tedyc03 says:

Take a spinning object with some velocity and momentum, change it from a vertical to a horizontal position, and what do you EXPECT is going to happen? If you said “failure” you guessed right! Consumerist, you can’t defeat the laws of physics.

14. Cyclone says:

Ya know, I really want to rag on the OP for moving their 360 or having it fall over whilst in the middle of gaming but I recently learned the hard way that shit happens.

I have my PS3 oriented vertically with a controller plugged in and charging while I was waiting for GT5 to install. My dogs were running around being idiots as usual and tripped over the USB cable changing my PS3 from vertical to horizontal orientation. Absolutely livid, I watched as it continued acting normal and the game installed just fine.

Later I pulled out the disc to examine it only to find that there was not a single scratch. Perhaps the OP should have purchased Fallout New Vegas for the PS3 instead? :P

Actually I realize the difference in drive types really helped with my case. The slot load PS3 (and even the Wii) drive mechanism keeps the disc in place much better than the 360. This is why cars have slot load cd drives since they are designed to be moved around and PC’s have tray drives that are not. A sudden fall like that for a console with a spinning disc at a few thousand RPM’s sucks either way. Too bad for the OP, hope he gets his replacement disc. If not, live and learn.

15. GuyGuidoEyesSteveDaveâ„¢ says:

Or “my Xbox was changed from vertical to horizontal orientation.”?

16. zegota says:

Even if you could put Microsoft on the line for this (which is honestly stupid, as there are multiple warnings not to move the xbox while playing a disc), I have absolutely no idea why Bethesda would be culpable. You might as well go to the retailer you bought the disc from and demand a refund. It makes just as much sense. I’m normally pro-consumer, even to a fault, but this is ridiculous. It’s people like this who have buried the “customer is always right” catchphrase.

• Mythandros says:

That catchphrase has been revised and changed. In MY industry it’s: “The customer is right, untill they’re wrong.”… or the other, more accurate one: “The Customer is always wrong, unless we tell them they’re right.”

Sounds much better this way.

17. Reading_Comprehension says:

“If you’ve ever accidentally ruined a new game disc, what did you do to replace it?”

I would start by admitting my own dumb-ass mistake. This is a clear-cut case of “blame the OP”

18. EJ25T says:

This has been a known issue for years. It’s even noted in the setup guide/manual that comes with the console.

“Remove discs before moving the console or tilting it between the horizontal and vertical positions.”

Granted, it doesn’t tell you why you shouldn’t do such a thing, but there you have it.

19. Alvis says:

So, there really IS a legitimate reason to mod your system to play “back ups”?

20. sqlrob says:

They need to suck it up and deal and send him a replacement disk (Note: I’m not saying for free, but I’m saying for a lot cheaper than $60. $10 maybe?)

They like to claim that we buy a license, not the disk. But then when something like this happens, we bought the disk? Uhh, no. Pick one model, you don’t get both.

Fault here is completely irrelevant, except in the free vs. not free argument.

• MrEvil says:

Actually console games sold on disk are sold as a product, not a license. Most computer software bars you from re-selling it in the EULA or that the license is non-transferable. Console games don’t have these limitations and are protected under the first sale doctrine.

• sqlrob says:

Right. That’s why they’re attempting to kill used and/or whine about it right, since it’s a product?

And if you look, there’s EULAs on the console games too.

21. nutbastard says:

xbox did you a favor. While New Vegas is a little bit closer to the mark than F3 was, it’s still an extremely flawed and shoddily put together game.

Remember MYST, and how amazing that game was? And remember PYST, the crappy parody gag game? That’s what the new Fallouts are to the originals, hollow parodies. They took a first rate RPG and turned it into a third rate RPFPS. Why are NPC’s talking to me about how things will be different when Caesar is dead, when I’ve already killed him, and there’s no dialogue option to express this? Why do I have a complete satellite terrain map that shows every mountain and road but none of the destinations at the beginning of the game? Where are there no random encounters when fast traveling? Why won’t that chemist ever make any more drugs? How does a faction know I’ve killed one of theirs when there are no witnesses? Why can’t i even ask about power armor training? Why is blackjack so easy to win? How do the gun runners manufacture brand new weapons and yet no one’s figured out how to make even a rudimentary car or motorcycle? You have energy cells, and you have electric motors.

Good riddance, call MS and thank them for sparing you of this horrible imitation of a video game.

• zegota says:

Yes, it’s a far cry from the original Fallouts, that strove for 100% realism and accuracy at every moment.

/sarcasm

• nutbastard says:

i’m not asking for realism, I’m asking for consistency and the implementation of the trademark game mechanics that really put the polish on the first 2, namely map blackout, random encounters, and a dialogue system that actually has consequences.

• Hooray4Zoidberg says:

In Fallout 2 my stupid companions would sometimes follow me into a small room and stand in the doorway blocking my exit leaving me no recourse but to the re-load my last save. One time that last save was over an hour ago. Occasionally events wouldn’t trigger or friendly NPCs would just dissapear.

This isn’t exactly new to the series. Now that consoles are online, console gamers getting treated to the same business model PC gamers have endured for decades “Release now Patch later”. Pro tip, never buy a game until it’s been out at least a month.

• nutbastard says:

in fallout 2 you can right click on a companion and ‘push’ them one hexagon at a time until they are out of your way. this was in response to that exact issue in fallout 1. so i hate to break it to you but all that reloading was entirely unnecessary.

• grumblingmumbles says:

Please continue on folks, this man is just angry he didn’t enjoy something other people like due to differing tastes.

• plumbob says:

ITT: blah blah blah I’m a douche

• Mythandros says:

Your opinion of the game is completely irrelevant to the post and not really needed, or wanted.

If you aren’t going to contribute something to the article, don’t comment.

We aren’t looking for your opinion on a game, we’re looking for your opinion on this situation the OP is going through.

Personally, I think the OP is entirely on the line here. Bethseda shouldn’t have to replace the game disc.

Yes, I understand that sh!t happens, but the op needs to take responsibility. I say go out and buy a new game disc. You messed up, you fix it.

• Mythandros says:

All one has to do is look at your avatar beside your name and that speaks volumes about you as a person. I’m referring to the middle finger, by the way.

I think that’s a large part of why you are being called a douche in this thread, also.. your post was completely irrelevant to the topic.

I know your avatar is the perfect example of what a douche would have beside his name, a big middle finger to everyone.

22. chucklebuck says:

I launched a few swear words, sucked it up, and bought another copy since it was my fault, not the game manufacturer’s or the store’s.

• Alvis says:

But that $60 you paid was for the license, not a physical disc. No reason to pay for two licenses. If you didn’t want to request a replacement from the publisher, you should have just pirated it.

• chucklebuck says:

Actually, I bought it used, so who even knows what applies in that case. But it definitely wasn’t $60, it was more like $20. Yeah, I could’ve pirated it, but then I’d also have to spend the time rigging my PS3 to play copied games and a bunch of other stuff I really don’t want to spend time doing.

In the end, I broke the thing, so it didn’t really bother me (aside from the original being pissed at myself for being stupid) to spend money on another copy.

23. stock2mal says:

I learned this lesson a week or two after I got my 360. I had my Burnout Paradise disc in the drive, and the unit was on. I was running a new optical cable at the time, and rather than turn it off, I pulled it out, it slipped, and tilted forward. It left a nice deep circular scratch around the center of the disc. Luckily, I was able to get it resurfaced and it plays fine, but it would have been my fault. Sure, it’s a design flaw by Microsoft, but they warn you about it in the user manual. Expecting someone else to replace the disc free of cost is is pure douche-baggery on the OP’s part, perhaps asking for a deal on a replacement disc is in order.

24. Jimmy60 says:

I went to the store and bought a new one. Just like I have done with every product that I managed to ruin through no fault of the product. It’s called taking responsibility for your actions.

25. Buddha says:

There is a bright yellow sticker on the dvd drive of the xbox when you buy it that says, Do not move the Xbox while there is a disk in the drive. They don’t put it there for shits and giggles.

I’m surprised they even agreed to replace your disc, since this was no fault of the game company.

26. horns says:

Doesn’t seem that complex!? Don’t move your Xbox while playing it. In other news, I put diesel fuel in my regular gas Honda and Honda is sending me a replacement.

27. neekap says:

Find a friend that wants to buy the game, have them buy the game, swap the disc with your damaged disc and have them go back to the retailer to get a swap stating the game was like that when they opened it? You’d probably want to go to a different retailer. It gets the job done, and both of you get the game without “cheating” the system.

• aen says:

That’s exactly what I would call “cheating” the system.

• neekap says:

How is it cheating? The damaged disc will be marked as damaged by the retailer, who will undoubtedly have more clout with the manufacturer to get the disc replaced. It’s not like the retailer is getting screwed out of the game. They’ll either get credit for the returned defective unit or it will be replaced with a working disc.

The OP is very unclear as to how his system went from vertical to horizontal. It could have very well been an accident, and I’m not going to assume the console was moved or knocked over intentionally.

• halo969 says:

It still doesn’t make what you’re suggesting right. It’s dishonest.

• neekap says:

The end result still winds up being the same. The OP gets their disc replaced and everyone is made whole. What should they do? Fire off an EECB and wait months?

28. IT-Princess: I work in IT, you owe me $1 says:

I’m sure I’ll get flamed for this but… I’ve damaged discs many times and I go into Best Buy and replace them. For an extra $5 and knowing that my Xbox likes to chew on and scratch my games through no fault of my own… it’s worth it.

29. aen says:

The same thing happened while I was playing MW2, my Xbox was switched, by my dog, from vertical to diagonal. The disk was rendered unreadable.

I looked into getting a replacement…probably weeks of waiting around, plus $20. I ended up trying out toothpaste to get it to work. That had some success. Starting the game happened successfully intermittently, but once it was started, it worked fine.

So after enough frustration with a disk that worked only half the time, I borrowed a copy of MW2 from my brother, installed it to the hard-drive and viola, the game works each time with my scratched disk (even faster too since it’s working off the hard-drive).

• DataShade says:

Toothpaste works. It has to be *paste,* not gel or foaming bubbles or whatever new crap they have around. Get a lint-free cloth, preferably something with a tight knit or designed for glass polishing, get the cloth damp, put a tiny bit of paste on the cloth, then polish the disk with motions like tracing the spokes on a bicycle. Don’t wax on, wax off; back and forth from the center to the rim, pressing just hard enough to feel a little friction heat.

It’ll look like you’ve totally ruined the surface of the disk, but that’s because you have – you need to buff down the outer layer where the damage occurred so that there’s no more jagged tears in the plastic to interfere with the laser.

My wife’s cat knocked down my XBox with a copy of Mass Effect in it, two days after it came out; I can still play that “ruined” disk today.

30. Skellbasher says:

The simplest way to replace your disc is to go buy the game again at a retailer.

You broke it. You replace it. This wasn’t a failure of the disc under normal usage. Why should Bethesda do anything to replace it?

• Shadowfax says:

Because of the EULA. You aren’t buying the game when you buy the game. You buy the right to use a copy of the game on your machine. You don’t lose that right just because the physical media the game came on broke. The guy’s responsible for the cost of a disc, but doesn’t have to buy the content again.

According to the EULA.

Funny how the companies that tell us how many different ways the EULA keeps us from using what we bought, are so much more reticent to honor their arguments when it doesn’t work out so well for them.

• stevenpdx says:

So, if your favorite book falls into the toilet and is ruined, the publisher should let you have another copy of it for the cost of the content only?

Sure, you’re just paying for a license to use the content, but it’s your responsibility to keep the media in good condition. Don’t move your Xbox while it’s running, and don’t drop your books in the toilet.

• DataShade says:

Are you trying to troll? Your favorite book doesn’t come with a EULA. Your favorite book is yours, and yours alone, until you wish to sell it. You could take your paperbound book, cut off the paper binding and glue, and rebind it into a leather sleeve. You *can’t* legally do anything with the software you buy that isn’t allowed by the EULA; you don’t actually own the game, in a legal sense, you purchased the rights to use a copy in the manner prescribed by the publisher.

31. damageinc says:

Same thing happened to my Guitar Hero World Tour disc. I traded the bum disc to Gamestop (who didn’t even look at it) and just bought a used copy on ebay. Cost me a little out of pocket but hey, sh*t happens.

32. Geekybiker says:

Early 360 drives actually had a fairly well known problem with this. The problem has long since been corrected, but turning your unit on its side shouldn’t ruin a disc. I know its not a good idea, but it may not be 100% his fault.

33. valueofaloonie says:

I think I speak for everyone when I say…duh.

34. nopirates says:

here’s an alternative:

my xbox was bumped while playing red dead redemption, rendering the disk bootable, but causing failures while playing.

i went to blockbuster, rented red dead for less than $10, installed the game on my xbox hard drive from the rental, and tested the installation using the damaged disk. it worked.

35. VOIDMunashii says:

I’m kind of surprised that Bethesda is doing anything. That’s really cool of them, even if they are taking their sweet time with it.

Personally, this is why my Xbox stays horizontal; I live in constant fear of it RRODing again as it is, no reason to tempt the gods of accidental damage any further.

36. Zombini says:

Yes, it may have fallen over, but this kind of damage is easily preventable. You can move the PS3 from vertical to horizontal with no disc damage. Same goes for the PS2. And before anyone accuses me of Sony Fanboyism, you can do the same with the Wii too.

360 specialists Llama had a look inside the 360, and found the issue can easily be fixed by adding some extra pads. In fact, these pads are found on one of the six or so drives the 360 uses.

37. TheGreySpectre says:

Someone moved my xbox while a game was in it and on and it it put a huge deep circular scratch in my rockband 2 disc. What I did to remedy this was I installed the game to my harddrive using someone elses Rockband 2 disc, then just use my disc for disc checking purposes and it works great. Or at least it worked great until I got rockband 3 and stopped worrying about it.

38. TheGreySpectre says:

THere is a reason laptops generally have disc drives where you place the disc on something that holds it in place instead of just placing it in a tray.

39. ARPRINCE says:

RTFM! There’s a warning about this.

40. AI says:

When I first got my 360, I used it in the vertical position. I went to eject PGR3 one day, the system made a horrible grinding noise, and then the drive opened. The disc somehow managed to get eaten WHILE being ejected. I actually got Best Buy to give me new disc by saying that since I bought my 360 and the game from them, they could either replace the disc, or replace a defective 360 for damaging the disc.

This case, however, is completely different, as the Op admitted he moved the console while the disc was spinning. The developer doesn’t have to replace discs that the Op damaged himself.

HOWEVER, since music and game publishers have been arguing for years that you merely own a license when you buy a game, not complete rights to do anything to your physical copy, I’d argue that the publisher should replace the disc for a reasonable fee as the Op already has a license for the content.

41. framitz says:

Failure to understand gyroscopic forces at work. Must have bent the disk while rotating, lucky if it didn’t damage the drive too.

42. Myotheralt says:

>If you’ve ever accidentally ruined a new game disc, what did you do to replace it?

Suck it up and bought a new copy. The company makes no liability claim that it will work if you abuse it.

43. Pax says:

…. you know what?

I’m going to blame the OP.

And it really IS his fault. I bought my Xbox 360 – an original Elite model – some three years ago, now. When I first opened it up, there was a warning – prominently placed, in large font, on a flier I couldn’t NOT see plain as day – not to move the unit while a disk was in the tray. Not even with the machine OFF … let alone, while it was on, and accessing the disk!

OP failed to heed the warning. OP is paying the price for his choice.

And that assumes that the first few commentors are worng, and it was intentionally moved, rather than falling over. IF it fell, well … act of God and all that. There’s a reason my unit has NEVER been in a vertical position while playing games: I didn’t want to risk having it fall over, and destroy a game.

44. Tedsallis says:

Hey the same thing happened with my car and I am still waiting for them to send me my replacement!

45. The Marionette says:

“and other plausible yet totally weak excuses. “

yet the op using a plausibly yet totally weak excuse as to why they should get a replacement disc.

46. Gulliver says:

A couple of other notes for the OP:
    1. Do not place your disc in a 350 degree oven prior to putting inside the XBox
    2. Do not draw on the disc with a nail prior to inserting it.
    3. Do not pour liquids inside the XBox
    4. Pounding the game with a hammer MAY cause the game to not play properly
    5. Stupidity on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.

47. dangermike says:

I’m surprised any company would take any action for something like this. There are are warnings and disclaimers all over warning that moving the console with the disc inside can cause damage to both the disc and the drive. If they’re slow, let that serve to reinforce the lesson to pay more heed to the products’ manuals.

Next, you’re not missing much. I absolutely love fallout and new vegas very nearly made up for trashing the franchise has taken in this decade. Unlike Fallout 3, New Vegas actually feels like a Fallout game. But if you remember how buggy Fallout 2 was, and you multiply that by the sheer crapulence of the Havok engine and factor in Bethesda’s atrocious QC, well, just remember the old mantra “Save early, save often.” As happy as I was for the first few hours of the game, when I started to wake up to how poorly paced this pile is and watching it crash, on average, every 1.5-2.5 hours, it started getting tedious. When I finally got to the end, with the game clock around 90 hours, and watched the game crash during the closing vignettes 2 out of the three times I finished it, and with the horrible disappointment to just how the two endings paths I followed played out, I just couldn’t bring myself to care enough to play through the other 2. It’s going back on the shelf, I’m not going to bother with any of the DLC, and I have serious doubts as to whether I would ever purchase another Bethesda release.

48. _Rand_ says:

Manufacturers will typically replace disks, without a software key, for a small fee, like $10.

And this is the issue.

As the op says “On November 8 I called Bethsoft to ask how to pay for a replacement” so I’m assuming he was prepared, and DID in fact pay for a replacement disk.

If Bethesda is dragging their ask on sending him a disk he PAYED for, something needs to be done.

49. _Rand_ says:

I’d like to point out for all the people blaming the op, from his email:

“On November 8 I called Bethsoft to ask how to pay for a replacement”

So stop bitching at the guy and actually read the post. He is apparently prepared to pay for a replacement disk.

Game manufacturers often have a replacement disk policy that costs a smallish fee (typically $10) asking people to actually send you a disk you PAY for is not even remotely out of line.

• Pax says:

That works fine for games that require a CD-Key. IOW, for PC games.

Not so much for Console games, though – the disk IS the key to play the game. So someone unscrupulous could [b]claim[/b] their disk was destroyed, and ask for a “replacement” … and really, be getting a second copy for only five or ten bucks, because their first copy works JUST FINE.

Reticence to provide inexpensive replacements on the publisher’s part, where Console games are concerned, is entirely and completely understandable.

50. duncanblackthorne says:

He’s lucky that he didn’t damage the lens inside the drive itself when the disc went smashing into it at full rotational velocity.

51. chirish1025 says:

Here is what I did when my Icky teen pulled a similar move with the brand new halo reach. We borrowed his friends copy and saved it to the hard drive. When he plays halo he just puts in the unreadable disc and it works beautifully. Forget buying another disc

52. wickdchameleon says:

My car has a cd drive. Well it has a 6 CD Changer. However I driven miles over potholes, bad roads and god knows what, still the cd continues to play fine.

An expensive piece of toy like an xbox should do better.

• Ouze says:

false equivalency is false. More specifically, remove the shocks from your car and then drive over a pothole 8 to 10 feet deep with then CD playing.

• Admiral_John says:

The movement of your car as you drive isn’t trying to change the axis of the rotating CD. If you flipped your car while you were listening to a CD chances are the playing CD would be trashed.

53. djudd says:

This actually happened to me on a Playstation 2. I was playing Star Ocean: Till the end of time and was like 200 hours in when I kicked the controller cord and the disk took massive damage.

The guys at GameStop helped me out (thank god) but truth be told the onus was on me since I did it. This is really one of those lessons learned kinda deals….some good advice with borrowing a copy, installing to HD and then seeing if your disk can still be used.

54. stevied says:

No sheit sherlock

55. Michael the Great says:

It only takes 2 months to get a disk replaced when the manufacturer didn’t have to replace the disk anyway?

Oh, I didn’t know I shouldn’t oh, turn my dvd player sideways while it was running and now I want a replacement disk? What the crap!

56. blaster009 says:

I used to work at a video rental chain (not Blockbuster) and we’d see this problem ALL the time with XBox 360 games.

If memory serves, the laser-head just rams against the disc as it wobbles. I could be wrong (it’s been about 4-5 years now) but I seem to remember there being a way to prevent this, which involves opening the XBox and putting rubber pads on the inside of the case, so in the worst case the disc would rub against that and not the laser head. Obviously even if this works though you void your warranty.

57. RogerX says:

That’s epic clownery. I just bought an Xbox and it states no less than five times in the manual, on the box, on the splash screen and on the game sleeve “WARNING: DO NOT MOVE CONSOLE WHILE GAME IS IN USE. THIS WILL CAUSE DAMAGE TO YOUR GAME DISCS.”

58. davebu3 says:

Your fault, this is clearly stated in every xbox manual. Microsoft will replace (for a small fee) any game discs they published because of this issue, or at least they used to. And honestly, did u expect it to just be ok?

To bad you cant rent one from blockbuster and keep theirs and give them ur destroyed disc anymore as they are all closed…

59. Admiral_John says:

1) I have to echo the sentiment… “changed from a vertical to a horizontal orientation) means it fell over which means the disc inside would not be covered by any kind of warranty.

2) If he did move it intentionally then the disc, IMHO, would still not be covered by warranty. A spinning disc is a like a gyroscope and if you move the XBox while it’s spinning the disc is going to try to maintain its orientation and probably get trashed in the process.

Sorry, but the poster is out of luck here… either scenario isn’t the fault of the store where he purchased the game, nor is it the fault of the manufacturer. This is no more a warranty-worthy situation than it would be if he broke it in half by stepping on it.

60. regis-s says:

It is the owner’s fault that the disc was damaged. But Besthesda did agree to replace it. Seven weeks seems to be a pretty unreasonable length of time to wait. Which seems to be the point people are missing.

61. damicatz says:

This is a flaw in the XBox 360′s design (one of many I might add; either the XBox 360 was designed by the most incompetent engineers ever or Microsoft is going a bit too far in the cost-cutting. Or more likely, both.).

I’m sorry but even with the disk spinning, a single fall shouldn’t cause the entire disk to be damaged. I tested this theory with my laptop CD/DVD drive, moving the position from horizontal to vertical and back to horizontal, multiple times and the test discs never got damaged. The easy solution to this problem is to use a drive with a tray rather than a slot load drive.

62. Corinthos says:

My wife did it to a rental while she was cleaning and I was playing games. She was going to pay for it when we took it back but the cashier told us not to worry about it.
    I’d just eat the cost of the game and be lucky that they are replacing it at all.

63. rambo76098 says:

You’re lucky you didn’t damage the 360 too. Retailer should have exchanged it.

64. Kid U says:

I am stunned that Bethesda is even entertaining his request. He screwed up his own game disc….

65. glasscocked says:

I thought it was common knowledge not to move your 360 while it is on.

66. luusyphre says:

I had a physics experiment that explains this in highschool. If you hold a bicycle wheel in your hands by the skewer (so the wheel can spin freely in front of you), and then have someone else spin the wheel, you will notice that it is very difficult to tilt the wheel from the vertical orientation where you start to a horizontal orientation (like the xbox disc). That is because the centripetal force is pulling the wheel out and away from itself in the direction it’s spinning, and you have to fight that force when you try to tilt it. So basically, in the xbox the spinning makes the disc want to stay vertical, and by turning it on its side, it’ll likely bump up (or crash) against the top and bottom of the disc compartment. This happened to me when using an external CD drive that uses the same tray system (not the kind that grips the disc, but the kind that is in a desktop PC or the xbox). I tilted the drive while it was reading and the disc started grinding inside the drive. It scuffed up the edges of the disc, but it was still readable.

67. GrandizerGo says:

Well once the company sent him instructions on how to return the disc for replacement, 90% of the comments about it being his fault are absolutely MOOT!

As it says, they gave him instructions to return the disc for replacement. He did, he held up his side of the bargain. I don’t care if he put it in the microwave. They agreed to replace it so they should.

Then we should be reading about how this company went “Above and Beyond” due to the OP’s own fault.

68. legalkill says:

My son did that to mine that was a b-day present that i did not even get to play yet. He bumped the desk that it was resting on good enough to cause the spinning disc to scratch. Fortunately I did receive the new S with the 250 Gb hard drive. We rented the game and installed it from the rented disc. The scratched disc is scratched in the middle so the game will still read the necessary disc info to allow me to play from the hard drive installation. Its a decent work around as I have been installing all the games I currently play (keeps the helicopter noise down while my wife sleeps). I did not bother trying to get a new disc however. Just a suggestion on a quick workaround. Costs you the price of a rental but no waiting.

69. Dave says:

I had the same problem and fixed the Disc myself. I simply took it to the Garage, and polished it with Scratch-X Car Wax Scratch Remover. Works like a charm, and really what’s the risk? The disc doesn’t play to begin with. Every Disc I’ve done this to, went from unplayable to perfect… Just make sure to wipe off all the wax and residue when complete.

70. PortlandBeavers says:

I ruined a CD-ROM drive years ago by moving a PC that had a disc in the drive.

I had an Xbox game that started skipping at one point. The early Xboxes could scratch discs, but this problem was overshadowed by the Red Ring of Death issue. I just ran it through a CD repair device made for music CDs and it played fine after that.

71. dee1313 says:

I’ve done the same thing. I took the disc to GameStop and explained what happened, and they still bought it from me for the same price they’d buy that game (Oblivion for $6) in a good condition. I guess they could repair it?

Personally, I didn’t think it was Bethesda’s responcibility to replace a disc that a newbie destroyed when I was showing them how an xbox worked (I was explaining that they could put it on its side or set it up right when my friend promptly changed how it was sitting while it was loading Oblivion).

However, I think it was wrong for Bethesda to take the disc back and not send another.

Ideal resolution when it’s not distributor’s/developer’s fault: Bethesda sends a copy of the disc and makes the consumer pay for shipping and the basic cost of the disc, after receiving the damaged disc as verification that the person receiving the new one did buy it. However, if this solution did work, people would use it to replace their scratched to hell discs as well, which would be plenty of work for Bethesda’s distibutor. Add a reasonable fee, good to go. After paying the shipping, cost of disc, and potential reasonable fee, this would only be beneficial when total cost of replacing the disc is less than the cost of purchasing a used copy.