Laptop Borked By Dell Tech Gets Replaced After Consumerist Post

Angel is happy to report that after his story went up on Consumerist, Dell reached out to him and will be replacing his laptop.

“They contacted me and they’ve been working with me since. I took pictures of the laptop damages and it just looked brutal, so they will send me a brand new one,” he writes. “Just wanted to say thanks! Thanks Consumerist!”

Hooray! Enforcing best practices through public shaming wins again.

PREVIOUSLY
“On-Call” Dell Tech Takes Over 7 Hours To Screw Up Your Laptop, Makes You Miss Your Date

Comments

1. Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

Insert default statement about how it’s sad that it takes public shaming to make a company do the right thing.

2. Hi_Hello says:

Cool.
    The smart thing to do is return it, get your money back and buy something better. It might even save you money.

3. Alvis says:

Can WE see the pictures?

• Griking says:

Dell is in a no win situation, either they eat the repair cost themselves or they say no to the customer who then whines about it publicly on The Consumerist. That generally leads to everyone accusing Dell of being a terrible company even though nobody here even saw the laptop in the first place, they just automatically take the consumer’s side because of course all companies are evil and all consumers are honest innocent angels.

Really, what did you expect Dell to do in this situation?

4. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot says:

Why is “doing the right thing” such a hard concept for companies to understand, and its only done after a public shaming?

• Griking says:

Because perhaps the laptop DID have water damage and fixing it for free wasn’t necessary the right thing? Id did however turn out to be the lesser of two evils for Dell however

5. evilpete says:

That is good to hear but I what did Dell have to say?

• c!tizen says:

Probably spouted off something about policy, 3rd party tech… blah blah blah, not affiliated with Dell… blah blah blah, per your contract… nag nag nag, understand your frustration… yada yada yada, 15 to 20 business days… whaa whaa whaa, thank you for choosing Dell we’ve enjoyed violating your most holy of holies… enjoy your next piece of garbage with a Dell logo!

6. TooManyHobbies says:

Hopefully they’ll review the criteria that they use to find tech companies to work with. And charge the cost of that laptop to whatever weak-assed company allowed someone clearly unqualified to change a light bulb to work on a $4000 laptop unsupervised.

• Chaosium says:

“And charge the cost of that laptop to whatever weak-assed company allowed someone clearly unqualified to change a light bulb to work on a $4000 laptop unsupervised.”

Yeah, it’ll probably be covered under the insurance company for the onsite contracting company.

7. u1itn0w2day says:

How dare you expect a company that got caught cooking the books and taking kickbacks to give good customer service. Not enough shame for this company.

8. jpdanzig says:

Then there was the time Dell knowingly sold computers they knew were going to fail… Oh — that’s all the time!

• u1itn0w2day says:

These guys should be out of business by now. They should be the Gateway of the new millenia.

• Chaosium says:

“Then there was the time Dell knowingly sold computers they knew were going to fail”

Every manufacturer did. I don’t recall any recalls for the bad capacitors.

“Oh — that’s all the time!”

Well, yeah. Components are bound to fail (I worked for a few OEMs in the past) with a large enough scale of shipped systems, the manufacturers have a specific tolerance for how many failures are and are not acceptable.

9. SassySoy says:

hahaha. thats great. :D :D

10. Forrest says:

I contacted The Consumerist multiple times to do an update to a story that was posted by me, and they ignored me. I wish there was some sort of way to ensure that updates were consistently published, especially when a company goes above and beyond to right a wrong.

Maybe I should do an EECB lol.

11. misterfweem says:

Dell definitely had arms because it reached out for me.

Arms! I can’t wait to get a look at this thing!

Alice, I’m gonna ask you a couple of standard questions . . .