Walmart.com Tries To Make My Wife Smell Like A Dude

If Stephen wanted Burberry London for Men, he would have ordered some for himself. But he was after a gift for his wife, and thus ordered Burberry London for Women at what seemed to be an excellent price. He says Walmart.com didn’t care and sent him the cheaper men’s variety anyway, then wouldn’t replace the product and only offered a refund.

He writes:

I recently placed a perfume order for a bottle of 3.3oz Burberry London for WOMEN from Walmart.com. The total cost was $27.14 including tax, an excellent deal Of course, the Burberry was intended to be a Christmas Gift for my wife so timeliness was of importance. Unfortunately, when the product arrived via courier on Dec. 10 it contained a bottle of 1.7oz Burberry London for MEN.

I attempted to swap for the correct product at a local Walmart store, but they could only offer a refund because of the price difference. So, I called Walmart.com and was on hold for over 45 minutes before a young man named Andy at the South Flordia call center answered. He had no clue what he was doing and our called ended up lasting for 1 hr. 35 min. He consistently refused to let me speak with a manager, what is up with that ?!?!

I found a comparable Burberry for WOMEN product in 1.7oz. since the Burberry London was now out of stock and asked Walmart.com to send me two bottles of this perfume for a total of 3.4oz. They would not do so since it was $45 per bottle. All I was offered in the end was a refund and $10 Walmart.com credit. I plan to give the Bentonville Headquarters a call on Monday because there is no way I will ever shop Walmart.com again. Now, I just need to convince my wife that Walmart is the anti-Christ.

P.S. There are hundreds of other people experiencing this problem as the deal was originally listed on Slickdeals.net and other bargain hunting websites. I’m guessing that Walmart did not want to send out the 3.3oz bottles so they sent out the cheapest Burberry Product which is the fragrance for MEN.

If you’ve suffered a similar Burberry gender mix up, let us know.

Comments

1. Mr. Fix-It says: "Canadian Bacon is best bacon!" says:

Mox-Ups? What’s a mox-up? o_O;

2. FatLynn says:

Contact the AG.

3. nosense22 says:

Why not take the refund and shop elsewhere? You wasted > 2 more hours of your time.

4. baconsnake says:

Oh, you saw it on Slickdeals….

And you’re wondering why Walmart is not going to do more than offer you a refund? You know that you roll the dice when there’s a deal like this. Don’t act like a newb.

• longdvsn says:

+1. Many of the best ‘deals’ on slickdeals are price mistakes or other human error. You hope it comes as planned, but you don’t complain when you don’t get it. I love slickdeals…but I’ve been around long enough to not complain when I don’t get a really sweet deal that was likely a mistake.

Now, Walmart wasn’t perfect either. Walmart should have just canceled orders if they had no intention of fulfilling the correct order. It was very irresponsible for them to send out a different product – which means people have to either go through a mail-in return or drive to a store.

• MMD says:

Um…no.

If a deal is offered, it should be honored. If it’s a mistake or otherwise can’tbe honored, it should be canceled and refunded. Instead of foisted an unwanted, unannounced product substitution on their customers. Are you really defending that practice?

• stock2mal says:

Agreed. I took advantage of a deal week before last for a set of Wii controllers and a quality game for $35 + shipping and tax. They charged my card, then canceled the game portion of the order, sending just the controllers. It was a price mistake, so they should have either sucked it up and honored it, or canceled the entire order. THEN, they finally adjusted the price down to $25 total for the controllers (which I am not willing to pay because I didn’t really want the controllers, I wanted the game) without consulting me. After a few hundred nasty emails and phone calls from everyone they had done this to, they decided to compensate everyone with $10 gift cards. I hate that it takes this much complaining to get Walmart to do the right thing in the first place, and in some cases it takes negative press if the complaints don’t do the job, as with the Iron Man 2 pre-order debacle a few months ago. After I spend my $10 gift card, I will no longer give Walmart my businesses in-store or online. I already avoid them like the plague, only venturing in if I absolutely needed something or if a deal was really good. However, I will no longer shop there period.

5. FireJayPa says:

OK so what’s the big deal. They offered you a refund plus some credit for your trouble. Take the refund and make your purchase elsewhere.

Oh and why would you buy Perfume from walmart for your wife? Just go to Macy’s and buy some nice smelling stuff already.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

It’s possible that he wouldn’t have purchased it at all if it weren’t $27.50. I looked on the Macy’s website and 1.7 oz of Burberry for Women is $58. The 3.3 oz is $78. For what it’s worth, the 3.3 oz is $39.15 on Amazon, which is a heck of a lot better than $78.

6. unpolloloco says:

So…you have a refund and a $10 gift card. Sounds like a win to me……….

• MikeM_inMD says:

And a wife who isn’t getting the scent she wants … with 25 years of marriage under my belt, THAT sounds like “a lose” to me.

• deejmer says:

SO then buy it elsewhere, you’ve already said WalMart is the anti-Christ…..take your money back, plus $10 of anti-Christ cash, and buy it somewhere you think might NOT be the anti-Christ?

• Rachacha says:

This is not like a priceless one of a kind family heirloom, this is a bottle of perfume. They refunded the money and gave $10. While you may want the product for the price that was advertised, they did make good on their mistake. You still have 11 shopping days before Christmas…that is 10 days earlier than most men start shopping!!!

• George4478 says:

Next time tell the wife to pick something that’s available from someplace other than Walmart.com. Then you won’t be limited to using this and only this retailer.

Oh, wait….

• aloria says:

It’s a bottle of perfume, not a Faberge egg. I can think of at least 3 places off the top of my head where I’ve seen that particular scent sold (Sephora, Macy’s, Amazon)

7. DanRydell says:

Sounds like the original “deal” was a mistake to begin with, so refund + $10 seems reasonable to me.

8. daemonaquila says:

Blame the OP for where he tried to shop or where he found the deal… “Oh, quit whining and buy something nice elsewhere…” Amazing.

Of course wronged consumers can just walk away, take their licks, make do, avoid the abusive corporation, etc. That’s not the point. Some people understand that it’s important to fight back because they are only one out of hordes of people who are being screwed, and because if one corporation gets away with flagrant bad behavior, it will expand that behavior and so will other corporations that realize how easy that is to get away with. If you don’t want to fight the good fight, then don’t discourage others from doing so.

• TheRealDeal says:

They offered him a refund and additionally offered him a $10 credit. That’s certainly more than reasonable in my book. It’s a timeless thought that just because you managed to get a deal on something (through a screwup or whatever other reason), that a retailer is now obliged to get you that item at that price. It doesn’t work that way. However, the retailer DOES have to refund your money due to the discrepancy. Many, many companies will honor their arrangement and therefore honor the price, but that’s the difference between excellent customer service and what is required by law.

• Azuaron says:

Required by, say, false advertising laws? If a store advertises a specific price for a specific product, they must honor the advertised price.

• jesirose says:

Unless it was a mistake they have caught and acknowledged. You’ll see price corrections in stores for misprinted ads. They don’t have to honor those if they put up a sign saying they made a typo.

• TheRealDeal says:

Wal-Mart, while not honoring their stated price, refunded the original poster’s money and offered him an additional credit. They made him whole and actually did better than that.

• Brunette Bookworm says:

But not until he complained about not getting what he ordered. He was sent something he didn’t order and had to spend hours trying to figure out why.

• veritybrown says:

Apparently this “deal” was promoted by another site, not by Walmart.com. Stores DO have a right to correct pricing errors (if they didn’t, especially when the mistake could be taken advantage of by millions of people on the internet, not just a few dozen at a b&m store, they’d be driven out of business). Instead of being a willful attempt to defraud him, it’s possible that the wrong SKU might have been associated with the product in the computer system, which would mean that the computer THOUGHT he meant to buy the men’s scent. The store refunded his money and gave him a $10 gift card for his trouble. Yeah, it sucks that he didn’t get what he ordered, and it sucks that he spent so much time with CS, but he still has plenty of time before Christmas to buy his wife this fragrance elsewhere. If he’s not willing to pay more for it than the mistaken price, that’s between him and his wife.

• RandomHookup says:

Except that most advertisers are not responsible for pricing mistakes and must correct them as soon as they notice. The remedy is to refund any money and that’s it. The customer isn’t harmed in any way, except he didn’t get the item he wanted at the price he wanted (not unlike an item being sold out).

• Red Cat Linux says:

I hope his wife has a sense of humor about why the only thing stopping him from buying her the gift she wanted was the principle of the thing.

He was not wronged in any way. There was a goof in the pricing. The company gave him $10 for their error. Some will honor the price, and often in online deals, some will not because of the sheer volume of people taking advantage of it.

It’s not like the old days when some random customer holds their feet to the fire. Now days hundreds of customers may attempt the same thing at the same time.

9. Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

Convince her it’s the Anti-Christ?

Does she read Consumerist?

10. soxfantoo says:

You spent an hour and 35 mins on a call trying to get them to honor a deal that was likely a mistake to begin with.

Perhaps you should find a better use for all the free time you seem to have.

11. Baxterjones says:

Sephora – learn it, know it, live it.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

I can see how he bought it from Walmart.com because it had the best deal – I would be tempted to try it as well, since it was $10 below Amazon.com. But there’s somthing about giving someone a gift from Wal-Mart that just irks me, even though I know the product is the same.

12. pop top says:

I love how the title isn’t about how Wal-Mart.com isn’t honoring their deals, but that A CHICK MIGHT SMELL LIKE A DUDE. OH NO.

• ellmar says:

No kidding. I usually laugh at all the anti-Phil comments, but lately Phil, your Philishness is pissing me off (see also; wives, nagging – in robocaller piece).

13. Red Cat Linux says:

I’m having a hard time feeling bad for this OP. Speaking as a Slick Deals reader:

You gambled $27.14 and got $37.14 back. Good deal.

You still have a present to get. Are you more concerned about the deal, or paying a lousy 12 bucks more to buy the damn thing at Amazon and get on with your life?

Additional cost to you: $2.00

Now go spend your $10 Wally world bucks on something else you need.

14. phonic says:

Classic useless Phil article.

Consumerist Feature Request – Allow us to filter out certain authors so we don’t waste our time reading stupid articles based on misleading titles.

15. tbiscuit360 says:

I am sure it was definitely a mistake. A 3.3 ounce bottle of Burberry London for 25 bucks is crazy. Even the 1.7 ounce bottle is a deal.

16. esp13 has a pony named Steve says:

“Now, I just need to convince my wife that Walmart is the anti-Christ.”

Sooooo…… Jesus wants you to smell like Burberry London for Women and Wal-Mart doesn’t? I guess that qualifies as Anti-Christ-ish

17. Warren - aka The Piddler on the Roof says:

DUDE SMELL LIKE A LADY..!

Wait. That’s backwards.