Find Foreclosures Using Google Maps

You can check out foreclosures all over the US just by drilling down in Google Maps.

1. Enter any address in Google Maps
2. Click “More”
3. On the left drop-down check the “Real Estate” box
4. Check foreclosures
5. Shazam, all the foreclosures show up like a sudden onslaught of pimples.

It only shows foreclosures currently on the market and won’t show any foreclosures that have already been sold by banks.

This trick has been around since ’08 but the system seems to have gotten stronger this year.

Google Map Foreclosure Tricks [The Big Picture]

Comments

1. Mr. Fix-It says: "Canadian Bacon is best bacon!" says:

Coming Soon for 2012 — Google Financial

2. ReaperRob says:

A lot of the ones in my area are in the large, expensive subdivisions.

• Rachacha says:

There used to be several in my neighborhood that was a subdivision that was built between 1999 – 2003. We were fortunate to purchase early, and we paid a fair price for our home, however, shortly after we signed our contract, the builder bumped prices up $10K, and another $10K a week later, and $20K the week after that and so on. We signed our contract in 1999, and moved in in mid 2000. We could have sold our house the day that we closed and doubled our investment based on the price the builder was selling for. At the height of the market, homes were selling for 3x what we paid for our house just 4 years earlier. Many of our neighbors who bought at the peak paid twice as much as their house is currently valued for. Many went into forclosure, but there are still a few that are able to keep up with the payments who are hoping they can at least break even when they go to sell.

The house next door to me should be in forclosure but no one can figure out who actually owns it as the bank that siezed the property immediately sold it to another bank but the paperwork was not properly filed. If it wasn’t for the fact that the pipes burst a couple of years ago and flooded the house and it is now mold infested, I would just start squatting there and claim squatters rights

• haggis for the soul says:

I thought this would be the case for my area, but I only saw one in the expensive part of town. Most of the foreclosures are homes on the cheaper end of the scale.

• Michaela says:

Same with me.

Actually, I was more surprised by the number of foreclosures than the styles of homes. We really didn’t have that many…

3. ArcanaJ says:

Yeah, that was depressing.

4. FireJayPa says:

Well that explains why my neighbor hasn’t been around.

Looks like someone couldn’t pay the bills.

5. Dilbitz says:

There is no “real estate” option for me. Hmmm….

• uberbitter says:

You can get to it through the Earth and Satellite icons in the upper right hand corner of the map.

• Rathina says:

Click on the “More” box near the Earth/Satellite boxes, not the “More” link on the left hand side by the address.

• INsano says:

I just typed in “city, State real estate” and that popped up the menu in maps for me. Don’t know why it would be different…

6. MaytagRepairman says:

About half of the homes for sale in my neighborhood are foreclosures and I estimate I’m underwater by about 20-30k. Ouch. I need to stay where I’m at whether I like it or not.

7. msingerman says:

All I get are listings for a street without a specific address, and when I click on the link I am taken to some webpage trying to sign up for a $10/month listing service. Thanks, google.

• rawley69 says:

You can at least get an idea what’s around and cross-reference on your local newspaper’s classifieds website. At least that’s what I do.

8. evilpete says:

This is *NOT* new.

I had this bookmarked on my smartphone for over a year

9. evilpete says:

Al note a majority of the listings ate not of foreclosures ready to sell but of people late on a payment or two this year.

It also seems that once a home is added to the list it is not removed even if the mortgage is made current.

10. Coles_Law says:

Off topic, but is anyone else seeing everything on the page as formatted to center?

11. UltimateOutsider says:

Holy sh*t. It’s far more than I expected- and I even felt that a lot of folks here could in no way afford the houses they were in. I just had no idea how MANY there were. It’s kind of terrifying.

• INsano says:

Everything will be fine, the NAR(National Association of Realtors) comes out every couple months and says we’ve hit bottom…

The Fed just gave the banks 600B in QEII a few weeks back and that prompted…mortgage rates to rise from 4.0 to 4.7…wait what? What does this have to do with housing prices? Well when mortgage rates go up, it makes it less likely a home owner in trouble can refinance, and it also drives housing prices down because they have to compensate for higher interest…which pushes more people under water…and puts more short sales and foreclosures on the market…

The short version: this 30 year real estate bubble will take a while to unwind.

12. MedicallyNeedy says:

This and anywho.com and call up the owners. Tell them to tell the banks “Show me the paper”! They don’t have it!

13. Draw2much says:

There were more than I was expecting in my area, but it’s not as bad as it could be. The nearest big city to me–Dallas/Ft Worth–is pretty bad though. One big blog of foreclosure. D:

14. somegraphx says:

this is so amazingly sad. While I’m sure that some of these individuals made poor choices, I’m sure many more were duped by financial advisors and mortgage companies.

When we went to put a SMALL addition on our SMALL house, dozens of financial “experts” tried to oversell us a mortgage. I was told to borrow 3-5X what I needed and then put the extra money in the stock market so that the house would “make me money.” Some banks wouldn’t lend me money because I wanted “ONLY” 100K. Even my father said I was an “idiot” for not borrowing more and investing.

We were chastised for selling our stocks and munis to pay for the addition and not leave the money invested and borrow more.

Flash forward 3 years–my husband is unemployed (almost a 99 weeker!). The stocks and munis (even the “safe” ones) tanked months after we’d SOLD ours. Our small mortgage that was only what we actually needed to build (and build without going over budget) is affordable with just my income (something my husband and I had always made a priority).

At the time, we were told we were stupid for not “investing” but having a house we aren’t worried about losing to foreclosure is the best investment we ever made.