Yes, You Can Buy A Chia Pet For Your Pet

I wanted to file this under “new and exciting products,” but it’s not new. Just new to us. Sure, you can buy c-c-c-cat grass and grow it at home any number of ways, but do those other ways come with annoying commercials? THEY DO NOT.

Chia Snoozing Kitty Cat Grass Planter [Official Site]

Comments

1. Holybalheadedchrist! says:

Did we just collectively go full-retard?

2. Larraque eats babies says:

My cat’s a dumbass and would eat the dirt.

3. DanRydell says:

This stuff is older than the Internet.

My cats don’t care much for grass, but they do like to eat my christmas tree and then throw up.

• haggis for the soul says:

Yeah, cats don’t want what we buy for them, they much prefer the stuff we try to get them to stay out of. They won’t touch the catgrass I grew especially for them, but if I bring a houseplant home, my big cat Norman will NEED to sit in the middle of it, trampling it down so he can play jungle kitty. I don’t even put up a Christmas tree anymore because the cats think they’re the ornaments and won’t stay out if it.

4. Oranges w/ Cheese says:

The last time my cat got grass, he threw up ALL OVER the house. No.

• ubermex says:

This is a common misconception. Cats eat grass when they’re in stomach distress to RELIEVE it. Your cat was going to be sick either way and tried unsuccessfully to relieve it by eating grass.

• pop top says:

That is true, but some cats just love to eat grass. My cat eats cat grass all the time and never throws up afterward.

• jesirose says:

So, it was a coincidence that “Oranges” gave the cat grass on the day it was sick?

It must be a coincidence too that I only ever take my dog to the field with tasty grass on the random days he would have thrown up anyway. Weird.

• AI says:

No coincidence. Cat’s eat grass specifically to get sick, in order to bring up swallowed hair as well. This prevents them from getting a larger hairball later that may get stuck in their system.

• Beeker26 says:

That’s the whole point of eating grass, to make them vomit up hairballs.

5. Oranges w/ Cheese says:

Also, this is misleading! Where other chia items are actually chia seeds, this is wheat grass. It should be Wh-wh-wh-wheat-grass!

6. selkie says:

Mine are all about instant gratification, so they get the $2 catnip plants from the Publix produce department instead.

7. cheepers says:

I’m just happy that there’s an “Actually About Cats” tag.

8. blacknoi says:

I bought this for my cats last year (same sylvester pot and everything). My cats LOVED it. I put a ziplock bag over the top of the dirt to keep the moisture in, early in the growing process.

Then I pulled the bag off and my cats “mowed” the rest for a few weeks until they ate it all.

Highly recommended! YMMV depending on how your cats react to eating it.

9. Hoss says:

I not a cat expert, but wouldnt this encourage the felines to chew on other plants??

• blacknoi says:

My 2 cats never bothered with our other indoor plants after eating the chia-grass.

• Kimaroo - 100% Pure Natural Kitteh says:

It’s actually supposed to be the oposite. Cats that are craving greenery will nibble on house plants, but if cat grass is availible, they will eat that instead.

• AI says:

In the same way as having a scratching post encourages cats to scratch other carpet; not at all.

10. Kimaroo - 100% Pure Natural Kitteh says:

I had one of these. My brother and his family gave it to my cats for Christmas one year. They both ate some of it, but Bastien ate it so much that it died. He loved it.

I should get them some more cat grass, actually.

• blacknoi says:

I’ve seen “refill” packs on amazon for 5 dollars. But I suppose you could always just buy wheat grass seeds for the best price.

11. edicius is an acquired taste says:

They have this for dogs too. My wife got it, though we haven’t actually grown it yet. She’s cleaning up the vomit if it’s a failed experiment.

12. evilpete says:

I got one of these a couple years ago..

just wheat grass in a cute pot, my cats mostly ignored it

13. evilpete says:

This may be good in a city/Urban area where your can not get out, but if you live a suburban area with lawns then this is useless.

14. lordargent says:

My cat grass experiment was a complete disaster,

the cats would grab a big mouthful of cat grass, then take off, dragging the grass, and the container full of dirt, along for the ride.

/the container needs to be heavy enough to withstand a full frontal attack from a bowling ball sized black cat.

• elkosteve says:

This.

This is what our cat did too. Ended up with dirt and grass dragged around the house.

• Beeker26 says:

+1. This made me lol. You can replant the seeds in a heavier pot if needed. No reason you have to use the Sylvester one.

15. friendlynerd says:

I got one of these last year at a white elephant type gift exchange – it grew really well but my cat could not moderate her intake. Once I let her have it she cropped the whole pot in like an hour, and then barfed it all over my house.

It went in the trash after that.

16. Nighthawke says:

Just refill it with something more worthy: catnip!

Plant it, put it up in a sunny spot, then feed kitty and watch the fun.

17. catkins says:

Was that a Metalocalypse reference to Dr. Rockso? C-c-c-c-catnip!

18. gman863 says:

I’m waiting for the California Chia Pot with a different variety of “grass”.

19. Kibit says:

I have this, but for my dog. :) I like Tweety Bird! :D

20. Jennlee says:

My stepfather gave me one for Christmas a couple years ago. Cats didn’t care for it, but it seemed like a fun idea. Cha cha cha chia!