Netflix Will Stream Disney Shows 15 Days After They Air

Donning a pair of metaphorical mouse ears, Neflix cut a streaming video deal with Disney that advances the service’s quest to give viewers reasons to can satellite and cable TV.

In its announcement of the deal, Netflix brags that several unspecified Disney-owned shows, from channels including ABC, Disney Channel and ABC Family will start streaming on Netflix as early as 15 days after they first air.

New to the streaming party will be Ugly Betty and Brothers & Sisters. The first two High School Musical movies will also be available, saving you the indignity of having to hide your DVDs whenever people come to visit.

What shows and movies do you want to see Netflix lasso in to its streaming stampede?

Netflix signs deal with Disney, more TVs and movies in 15 days [PR Newswire via TekGoblin, Slashdot]

Previously: Report: Netflix Offering Big Cash For Access To In-Season TV Shows

Comments

1. Mr. Fix-It says: "Canadian Bacon is best bacon!" says:

There’s not a lot I watch on TV these days, most of which is kind of special interest:

~Auction Kings
    ~Pawn Stars
    ~American Pickers
    ~Canada’s Worst Driver/Handyman
    ~Doctor Who (Can’t wait!)
    ~Shatner’s Weird or What?

…That’s about it.

2. Awesome McAwesomeness says:

I’m so glad I put my faith in Netflix and canned cable. It just keeps getting better!!!

3. SPOON - now with Forkin attitude says:

ooh I want that mug

4. RyGuy1152 says:

Modern Family please!

5. ARP says:

Go Netflix Go! Give me TV shows within a few days of airing and I can drop my cable. I’m willing to pay $25+ if you get basic and premium cable shows (Walking Dead, Breaking Bad, Dexter, etc.). He’ll, I’ll even tolerate intro or bottom of screen ads if the catalog is extensive enough and you get new shows to me within a few days.

6. theblackdog says:

Mad Men! I would love to see this show streamed the day after a new episode premieres rather than have to wait until it comes out on DVD later.

• Kimaroo - 100% Pure Natural Kitteh says:

I’d love them to carry even the old seasons of Mad Men. That’d be so great so I could catch up.

7. Kimaroo - 100% Pure Natural Kitteh says:

I know it would probably never happen, but I could dump cable if they got Food Network shows on Netflix. (Good Eats, especially) They already have some from the Discovery Channel, but nothing new, so new Mythbusters as well.

• catastrophegirl chooses not to fly says:

food network and DIY for me….
      even getting the DVD of good eats doesn’t quite cut it because they aren’t all in there though

• Kimaroo - 100% Pure Natural Kitteh says:

The DVDs don’t have all the episodes? What the hell? I’ve been coveting them for a while, but haven’t dropped the cash. I’d want the whole set…….

That really sucks.

• catastrophegirl chooses not to fly says:

i haven’t seen them but my sister tells me she wanted them until she investigated and found out that it’s all mixed up and only some of the episodes, the ones the producers thought were more entertaining or something.
          entertaining is great, but sometimes you really need the recipe too.

8. BuddhaLite says:

Netflix please get HGTV shows. If my fiance can get House Hunters I can get her to give up cable.

• notserpmh says:

Get a Roku. It has Netflix streaming and a user create HGTV channel that has House Hunters and other HGTV shows. They start at about $60, so keep the cable, buy one, get the wife’s approval, and then cancel the cable. If she doesn’t go for it, you are only out $60 and you still have a really nice Netflix streaming box.

By totaling up our yearly savings (as opposed to just monthly), like the car insurance people do and presenting that with a working Roku to my wife, we cut our Dish with no trouble. Basically, all I had to do was say, here is $1000 over the next year and all you have to do is watch TV a slightly different way with about 15% less shows than you watch now. Is that “insert favorite show here” really worth $1000 to you?

• wednesdayaddams says:

Just go to the HGTV website. They have up to 12 episodes of each show…

Antonio Ballatore olivejuice!

9. MarvinMar says:

Phineas and Ferb. Until they get a clue and release full season sets, having them all on Netflix streaming would be OK.

10. Dhornet7 says:

I want all the old Vault Disney stuff. Give me The Monkeys Uncle, That Darn Cat, any Kurt Russel movie.

11. chiieddy says:

Tron. I wanted nothing more than to show my husband (the Luddite has never seen it!) Tron before taking him to the next one so he gets all the proper nostalgia. Unfortunately, with the Disney – 10 year release cycle, it was last out in 2002 and Netflix doesn’t have it available to rent.

• Sian says:

I am astounded there isn’t a special Blu-ray TRON release, or any TRON release since the 2002 20’th anniversary DVD edition. Are they waiting to bundle it with Legacy for $55 or something?

12. HogwartsProfessor says:

I want WE shows. Give me back my Bridezillas and Amazing Wedding Cakes. I can’t watch them online and I lost the channel when I downgraded my DirecTV. :(

13. wednesdayaddams says:

I find it interesting that people forget that most shows on cable can be found for FREE on the shows websites already. Current episodes….no hulu or roko or any other subscription needed!!

Netflix is amazing don’t get me wrong, I dumped cable over a year ago and got Netflix and will never look back…

Buy guys come on…even Stargate Universe is streaming all it’s episodes now…current episodes. lol

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

There are two significant issues with your reasoning:

1) Not every show on a network is also offered for streaming through the network’s website.
      2) The networks’ websites don’t directly stream to your TV. You would have to hook up your computer to a TV to do this. If you already have Netflix, this is eliminating that step.

• wednesdayaddams says:

1) I said “most”

2) Who said you have to watch it on your tv? Doesn’t a laptop screen or computer screen still allow you to “watch” these shows?

I don’t understand your argument.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

Who wants to watch on a 15 inch screen all the time? Just because you can doesn’t mean it’s optimal or you want to do it. Not to mention that many people enjoy watching TV together, and that makes watching TV on a small screen even more cumbersome.

• wednesdayaddams says:

To beat this dead horse….

Free is free is free is free. (internet access included and may vary)

BUT if you want to spend the moneys…..

“Most” “newer” (ie last 5 years) flat screens have HDMI ports for fairly cheap cables to attach to computers that have “newer” graphics cards (reasonably prices as well if wanting to upgrade) that allow you to watch streaming stuff…on your tv.

It didn’t cost me much to watch teh nets on my tv..I didn’t have to buy a new tv only upgraded my video card (i installed myself) because I couldn’t even watch youtube on it before. Total cost >$150.

No subscription needed. I thought the reason to dump cable was to save money, why do I want a $60 Roku sub? That would pay for cable….

• wednesdayaddams says:

I mean “internet access NOT included” and..

to each his own. :)

14. Oranges w/ Cheese says:

Maybe they’ll choose Castle, but I doubt it. Dexter would be nice.

15. Oranges w/ Cheese says:

Maybe they’ll choose Castle, but I doubt it. Dexter would be nice.

16. Geekmom says:

Oooh.. And I asked for a Roku player for Christmas! Awesome timing! We don’t have cable.

CRAP this means I’ll never get the kids out of my room if they can watch Disney channel shows on it! >.

17. masterage says:

Wait, ABC Family, right?

Who’s Line Is It Anyway. Bonus points for both international and domestic versions.

DO IT. DO EEEEET