Insider Shares Some Hacks To Save You Money At Starbucks

Over at Reddit, a Starbucks coffee artist has decided to share all the secrets to scoring discounts and free stuff that they’ve learned during their time behind the counter at the coffee colossus.

Among the suggestions in the lengthy post:
For Espresso Drinkers:
“If you want espresso, avoid the options already on the menu board. Americanos cost just a little more than a cup of brewed coffee, but packs more of a caffeine punch because it’s espresso and hot water. It tastes like coffee and you can sweeten it just like you would your normal cup of coffee. More bang for your buck. If you want an extra shot, don’t ask for one. Ask for a “grande Americano in a tall cup”. That way, they charge you an extra 30 cents, instead of an extra 70 cents for the shot of espresso.”

For Frappuccino Fans:
“If you and a friend are out and want a Frappuccino, ask for a Venti split into two tall cups. Iced venti cups are 24 oz. Tall are 12. Viola. Two talls would cost you about 6 bucks, a venti, 4.”

For Those Who Like To Make New Friends:
“Also, make friends with a barista. They will most likely hook you up with free drinks a lot. Further more, if you get to be really good friends, Starbucks baristas get a weekly coffee/tea/VIA markout. My boyfriend’s parents and my parents never have to buy coffee because I get it for free. Furthermore, we get partner shopping days around the holidays, 40% off everything. Starbucks is a great place to get presents for those people you don’t know very well (distant co-workers, secret santas, teachers, etc) and you can save a lot of money by asking a barista you know to buy it for you.”

Read all the barista’s tips over at Reddit.com

Comments

1. The cake is a lie! says:

Here is the best idea… If saving money is important to you, how about you cut out the $7.00 runs to Starbucks and just brew it at home? Seriously…

• Gravitational Eddy says:

really. The full package of S-bux coffee is only $8 here. It makes more than 100 cups as well.
      At home. In my kitchen. Without having to patronize an ex-burger flipper.

• jason in boston says:

Some people leave their homes for things like jobs and real life?

• Blueskylaw says:

And you are so busy with life that you don’t have time to brew a cup of coffee at home?
        Perhaps your personal chef or limo driver could brew it for you, assuming you are friends with them.

• speedwell (propagandist and secular snarkist) says:

I’ll have to remember to book some home trips into my next business trip. I’m sure British Airways would love to run me home and back so I can save six bucks on a cup of coffee.

• The cake is a lie! says:

Again… the advice wasn’t meant for you. You are too important to pay normal prices for coffee and absolutely should be paying $7.00 for a $1.50 cup of coffee.

• kaldurak says:

Since when is their Coffee $7? A Grande Coffee at the Starbucks down the street from me is $2.00 I find that to be an acceptable cost considering most gas station coffee and restaurant coffee here is about $1.75

• bsh0544 says:

You know last time I checked Starbucks doesn’t charge $7 for a simple cup of coffee. I don’t know where your crazed hatred of Starbucks is coming from here.

• Qantaqa says:

Okay, everyone stop feeding the troll. He is obviously undercaffeinated and cranky.

• YoorCriptonite says:

Just walked out of Starbucks, $1.96 for my grande bold coffee, that’s after tax. Reasonable enough.

• Etoiles says:

I actually don’t have time to drink mine at home. I can brew it in under 5 minutes but you get busted for drinking on the Metro — provided you can even hold onto the cup and keep it warm for the 15 minute walk to the station, followed by the 45 – 75 minutes of standing, waiting, running, and being shoved around a train — and by the time I get to work it’s gone manky.

(I don’t go to Starbucks every day, only once or twice a month as a treat, but I do buy a $1 coffee in our coffee-shop downstairs most days.)

• Nigerian prince looking for business partner says:

If the concern really is transportation, I highly recommend investing in a nice Stanley thermos. I was sent one in a care package when I was serving in Bosnia in the mid-1990′s and it followed me on every deployment when I was in the Army. It’s indestructible and can easily keep coffee hot for half a day. I take it to work with me every day and never had any trouble with it in the subway when I lived in Philly.

• The cake is a lie! says:

Then someone should invent something that keeps hot things hot and cold things cold that you could take with you on the road.

I made the suggestion for people trying to find ways to save money. If you have extra money pouring out of your pockets, then by all means you should continue to overpay for your coffee because you are too important to make it at home or put a coffee machine in your office.

• DanRydell says:

First you need a device that will brew your coffee at a precise time every morning, because who has time to make coffee in the morning? Obviously not people who have time to stop at Starbucks.

• The cake is a lie! says:

That sounds complicated. You need to come back to earth and live in this reality. The reality is that we have no other choice than to go to Starbucks. I mean, if someone else made coffee and let you buy it from them, then maybe we would have some choices, but Starbucks is the ONLY place that sells coffee and we are all subject to whatever price they want to charge for it.

• ParingKnife ("That's a kniwfe.") says:

The reality is that we have no other choice than to go to Starbucks.

You’re high as damn kite with a picture of a troll printed on it.

Caribou Coffee (sitting there now)
              Seattle’s Best (One down the road from me right now)
              Waffle House (every other street corner here)
              Dunkin’ Donuts
              And now frickken every fast food joint has coffee that’s basically the same price.

• hawguy says:

Back when I was still drinking coffee, it took me about 4 minutes to make a double espresso Americano, fill my insulated mug, and clean out the espresso maker.

Took me around 5 minutes to park, walk into Starbucks and order, so it was a net win in time, and net cost savings in dollars.

I suppose if I had a Starbucks in the basement of my building it might take only 2 or 3 minutes to order my coffee, but still, it doesn’t seem that making it at home cut into my work hours.

• owtytrof says:

Yeah, striking a balance between convenience and cost effectiveness is just stupid! Do EVERYTHING yourself at home!

• The cake is a lie! says:

So driving past gas stations that sell your $7.00 Starbucks coffee for $1.50 seems to make sense to those of you out there striking the balance? ooooookaaaay…. DO NOT try to tell me that people drinking at Starbucks are interested in convenience and cost effectiveness. That is about as ludicrous as someone saying they bought the $6000 Rolex instead of the $8000 Rolex because they are on a budget.

• Silverhawk says:

Drop the exaggerated pricing thing already, it’s getting old. Starbucks brewed coffee isn’t that much more expensive than the gas station, and their coffee drink prices are in line with the Mom & Pop shops I see. And gas station coffee and Starbucks coffee are NOT the same thing. Starbucks isn’t great stuff, but it’s a level better than the gas station.

I roast, grind and brew my own coffee at home, but once in a while even I like to grab a cup at Starbucks.

• minjche says:

How people choose to spend their money is really not of your business and is no place for you to be so self-righteous and judgemental.

• MMD says:

Ok, we get it. You hate Starbucks and everything it represents. What, exactly, is your motivation for posting in a story that’s obviously not targeted at you?

• c!tizen says:

I don’t think he hates Starbuck’s and everything it represents, I think he was pointing out the irony in the story. People willing to overpay for something that is easily available much cheaper elsewhere shouldn’t really be concerned with money saving tips about said product.

• theduckay says:

your standard gas station coffee and starbucks coffee isn’t exactly the same thing. Personally, I dislike Starbucks coffee…but I can understand why people go there if thats the particular kind of coffee they like. And if you just get a basic non-fancy drink, its really not that much more expensive than elsewhere.

• Nigerian prince looking for business partner says:

It really depends on the gas station. I think Sheetz and WaWa have very good coffee.

• minjche says:

As a lover of Wawa, I must declare that Wawa is not a gas station, it is a store WITH gas station.

Wawa started as a dairy company, and still has many of its original stores that have no gas pumps (last I checked on their website, about half of their locations don’t sell gas).

I only say this because I’m obsessed with Wawa and find their being referred to as a gas station as demeaning :-)

• Nigerian prince looking for business partner says:

People do love their ‘wa. When I lived in Philly, I did a lot of work in Montgomery Co. and don’t think I ever saw one w/out gas. I had several coworkers who were obsessed with their WaWa coffee and we always had to stop on our way to job sites.

• minjche says:

I’m from Bucks County, just north of Montgomery County, and yeah almost all of the newers ones have gas pumps. Fun fact: The ones with 20+ gas pumps are commonly refered to as “super-Wawa’s”.

Also, it’s Wawa, no capitalization of the second W. It’s the name of the town the dairy company was founded in, which is in turn named after a Native American tribe (a tribe whose fav. animal was the Canadian goose, hence the logo).

• MMD says:

His comments further down the thread are what led me to post my comment.

I guess I don’t see how patronizing Starbucks and wanting to save a little money have to be mutually exclusive. If you can get what you want for less by ordering differently, why not do it?

I’m just tired of the irrational stereotyping of people who shop at specific stores or buy specific brands…it clouds the real issues in a lot of the stories on this site. Check out today’s Gap story – half of the comments are just Gap hatred and blame the OP for shopping at the Gap rather than looking at the advertising practice in the story.

• winstonthorne says:

“Trip trap, trip trap….”

• The cake is a lie! says:

One needs a point beyond stirring the pot? I just wanted to see how many Starbucks patrons would jump to the defense of their favorite place to spend money. Mission accomplished!

• mikeP says:

If you are too lazy to brew your own coffee and have no problem spending hundreds of dollars per month on it, then I cant imagine you would commit to learning various arcane ways to save a few cents.

• Michaela says:

Or you could possibly spend 14 hours away from your home everyday, and feel that carrying a stupid empty thermos for the majority of that time is lamer than spending about two bucks on a cup of joe…

• theduckay says:

whats with you and the “$7″ thing? A regular coffee at Starbucks costs around $1.40. Your exaggerations are pointless.

• minjche says:

$7.00?

[citation needed]

• DH405 says:

While I don’t frequent Starbucks, opting instead for a local shop that makes an amazing quality product, there are some problems with the “do it yourself” message there.

If someone is an espresso drinker, like I am, making a GOOD shot of espresso at home requires a lot more than your run of the mill Mr. Coffee. You have to invest in a good grinder. I’m currently about to purchase a Baratza Virtuoso grinder for $150 (refurb.) Then you need a good espresso machine. How much does that cost? Sky’s the limit.

• The cake is a lie! says:

If money is tight and you have to find places to save it at, your daily intake of Espresso may just be one of those things you have to cut back on. I’m only saying that budget conscious people should probably look into cutting out the things which cost the most and are largely unnecessary to go out for. I’m not saying Starbucks is evil, I’m just saying the best way to save a buck is to avoid giving it to others as often as possible.

However, if you have the money and enjoy the product, then by all means go there. I just don’t like hearing people cry poverty when they are able to walk into work with their gourmet coffee every morning while smoking $20+ worth of cigarettes every week. People could save a shit load of money just by cutting out some of these unhealthy habits. But again, if you have the money and aren’t trying to save any, then I’m not telling you where to shop.

• eyesack is the boss of the DEFAMATION ZONE says:

I’ve also not met a steaming device on an espresso machine that didn’t suck (though I haven’t gone very high up the price ladder).

I have a $15 French press that I love for black coffee; if I want a latte or something with foam, it’s just not worth it to buy the equipment and do the work most days. Fancy coffee drinks have quite a few steps; if I’m looking for something to wake me up, I’m not yet in the mood to go through those steps.

• quail says:

Espresso doesn’t require an expensive machine. Get a stove top Bialetta. You can get one often from discount stores for about $15 to $20. Then learn to make your milky foam on the stove as well with a sauce pan and a whisk (or use an immersion blender for a quicker & foamier froth).

• joako says:

Where the hell is starbucks $7?

2. Gravitational Eddy says:

If only it weren’t Starbucks….
    How come there’s not a place called Folger’s?

3. SiD says:

It’s good coffee but still too rich for me. In NYC I got for the $1 McDonalds coffee.

4. Blueskylaw says:

“Also, make friends with a barista. They will most likely hook you up with free drinks a lot.”

But in order to make friends with a barista, I either have to be a really cool person or spend a lot of money on coffee, which defeats the purpose of trying to save money.

• DanRydell says:

Or just buy a Macbook

• The cake is a lie! says:

I thought that was a requirement to sit at a table at Starbucks already?

I sense a pattern… People who are willing to overpay for their computers are also willing to overpay on everything else too, from the looks of it. I mean, if they can spend $3000 on a computer that has the same computing power of a Windows machine that costs half as much, then it seems reasonable that they’ll pay $7.00 for a $1.50 coffee. I’ve got to start targeting Apple users more…

• c!tizen says:

which defeats the purpose of trying to save money.

• ludwigk says:

Dude, if you go to Starbucks every morning, the thing will pay for itself several times over. Spend money to save money.

• Holybalheadedchrist! says:

Tell them you have friends who are professional singers/artists/actors/novelists/philosophers, basically anything that doesn’t make money. It always amazed me that people who made extra-low wages, like baristas typically aspired to be even lower-paid artistic types.

(I am a novelist, btw, and clean up on free coffee whenever I ask about someone’s book/sketches/audition/spoken word thing)

5. Kimaroo - 100% Pure Natural Kitteh says:

My favorite Starbucks “secret” is the Short size that isn’t on the menu. After a few years of ordering Talls and having to throw some away nearly every time (I can finish a Tall if I’m litterally starving and don’t order any food with it) I started ordering the Short, which is the perfect size for me. I think I found out about it a couple of years ago from another Consumerist commenter. I get to order an addorably small coffee, AND I don’t have to feel guilty for throwing some of it away because I can’t finish it.

I need Gingerbread latte now, dammit.

• OSAM says:

A short is, to the rest of the world, not much more than a shot glass. I can easily toss back a quad Venti if I set my mind to it.

• BarbiCat says:

I like the short, personally. I don’t get to go in to coffee shops a lot, but when I do have a free morning, sometimes I’ll take my daughter to Starbucks and we’ll split a short hot chocolate and a muffin. It’s small enough that I know we can finish it, and not have to worry about trying to drain a giant cup or lugging around something that’s going to spill all over everything in the car.

6. jesirose says:

Too bad their coffee is the worst. I only get coffee drinks as a treat, and I just go to the QT. A 24 oz latte there? $1.40. Same as their coffee. And it takes way better than Starbucks.

• The cake is a lie! says:

Exactly. People drink their coffee at Starbucks so they can be trendy. If they were interested in getting coffee, then they would just stop at one of the 200 gas stations they passed on their way to Starbucks and get coffee.

As a sidenote and a warning for anybody in my office who reads this… The next person who says they are “going out for a Starbucks” is going to get shot in the face. …by a nerf gun. …with a thumbtack on the dart.

• ZenMasterKel says:

I agree that SBUX coffee isn’t that great, but their espreso drinks are tasty and it makes my day at work go by much smoother.

• jesirose says:

I used to drink Frappucinos all the time. I thought they were ridiculously overpriced, but my (now ex) husband loved the place. When I was introduced to PROPER coffee, I realized how AWFUL the Starbucks stuff is. And my feeling that it was overpriced was justified.

I personally don’t even like plain coffee. I like flavored stuff. But I can get that at the gas station. They even have frozen drinks.

“The coffee at my office tastes like jet fuel and the coffee at most gas stations I’ve frequented isn’t much bettet. I’ve never understood the venom spewed against SBUX on this website.”

- The coffee at my office is awful too. I tried it once. I threw it out. I asked them what it was… Starbucks. I had no idea, and I still could tell it tasted like shit.

“I find it hard to believe that all the haters are reasonable people. I know a few people that have snickered at my SBUX purchases at work, and said they couldn’t afford a $6.00 cup of coffee. Really?!? A Venti Americano is $2.76. These same people have no problem spending $7 on a pack of cigerettes.”

-Well, I don’t smoke, and I don’t blow money on vices like that. I stopped drinking soda as the price went up. A $6 coffee is a lot. I personally think a 2.76 coffee is still too expensive for me, because it’s 1.30 over what I would pay a day if I drank every day. It’s unreasonable for ME to spend that much on coffee. I don’t make fun of people who do spend it though. Just because I’m saying it’s crappy tasting and expensive, isn’t me “snickering” at anyone else.

The article is about saving money – yes, it’s about saving money at Starbucks, but seriously there are so many better options that would save a TON. If you’re worried about saving money, consider the Starbucks drinks a treat and only have them occasionally.

• Erika'sPowerMinute says:

I bet the coffee in y’alls offices tastes awful because no one has cleaned the coffeepot since someone put it in the office in 1992. Run a full carafe of white vinegar through it, dump it out, then follow with four rinses of water (using fresh water every time). Problem solved.

• Gramin says:

I’m with you ZenMaster. I have a few issues here…

1: It’s my money and I’ll spend it on whatever the hell I want to. Bring on the overpriced coffee. I enjoy it so much that I go there twice a day. And, clearly, lots of other people enjoy it too. They’re always busy when I walk in.

2: This brings me to the next point. They’re always busy. If Starbucks was half as bad as the haters here claim, then it wouldn’t be so damn large. But they are. They’re gigantic. You can’t walk two blocks in the Loop without running into a Starbucks. And, again, they’re always busy.

• ParingKnife ("That's a kniwfe.") says:

I agree, even though I prefer coffee from Starbucks’s competitors and dislike the taste of their coffee. It it’s so trendy, why is it on every damn street corner? It’s so downright pedestrian it’s almost vulgar. But people persist with the notion that a place is trendy if it’s occupied by people who… what? Sit quietly? Read? Converse? Get work done? Are generally (albeit not always) sober? It seems to me the only trend is to call heavily commercial and well patronized establishments “trendy” so certain people can feel superior.

• Brie says:

>People drink their coffee at Starbucks so they can be trendy.

Or über-picky with six modifiers in their drink – which Starbucks encourages. My facepalm was when I found out you can order your drink with “two Splenda” or whatever. And here I’d been putting Splenda in my own coffee.

I drink Starbucks on road trips because I know I can get soy milk there. And Starbucks are master-planned to be near freeway exits, which is handy when I don’t feel like circling unfamiliar towns. And the baristas are always friendly to me even when I’m not a regular.

7. Skellbasher says:

Decent tips if you like Starbucks, but why do we persist on calling such things ‘hacks’?

• Hoss says:

Circumventing the Starbucks profit machine is too many words

• Big Mama Pain says:

Seriously, there is so much bullshit in the post that it’s not worth even paying attention to it. Most of the money saving things like manipulating the menu pricing is easy to figure out if you pay attention- all the other stuff is a load of crap.

• pot_roast says:

boingboing and lifehacker.com absolutely ruined the term “hacks.” That’s why. :/

8. kaldurak says:

Actually – While Espresso has more caffeine per ounce, a tall Americano only has 200mg of caffeine and a tall Coffee has 350mg of caffeine. The Americano just tastes like it’s “stronger’ because of the way espresso is brewed with the hot water being forced through the tightly packed grounds.

Honestly the lighter the roast – the more caffeine you are going to get out of coffee. A lot of the caffeine is literally cooked away in during the roasting process and you don’t get much of a darker longer roast than espresso. So any ‘lightly’ roasted coffee is going to have the caffeine kick you are looking for more than a tall Americano.

• lettucefactory says:

Beat me to it. If you’re looking for a straight caffiene rush, then your best best, cost-wise, is going to be drip coffee.

• kaldurak says:

It’s just always been a pet peeve of mine. I hate overhearing people talk about how their single shot tall americano has ‘sooooo muuuuch caffeine’ in it. :ugh: Yeah. Make it a quad shot tall for me please :o

• Brunette Bookworm says:

This is why I like a local coffee place where I get a drink they call “The Terminator.” Their brewed coffee with a shot of espresso. I like strong coffee but not always just straight espresso, especially since I drink it black.

• denros says:

I had some epicly-caffeinated single cup vacuum-brewed the other day, that packs a serious punch. I’m willing to bet that’s actually the highest mg / serving brew I’ve ever had.

• coconutmellie says:

Thank you so much for mentioning this. I think the barista who wrote the article needs to go re-do his Coffee Passport.

9. lukesdad says:

“Americanos cost just a little more than a cup of brewed coffee, but packs more of a caffeine punch because it’s espresso and hot water.”

I would just like to point out that – in general – there is more caffeine in a cup of regular brewed coffee than there is in a shot of espresso. Stronger taste /= higher dose.

Two shots of espresso have roughly the same caffeine content as a 12oz cup of coffee with the same beans. Even then, the regular coffee has a slight edge.

Some “insider.” This is like Coffee 101 man. Maybe 201, but still.

• MaxH42 thinks RecordStoreToughGuy got a raw deal says:

Beat me to it…heavier roasting actually reduces the caffeine content, plus espresso is usually served in much smaller servings (in this case, watered down)!

• jennesy says:

THANK YOU! Espresso has less caffeine than brewed coffee (and a LOT less than a light-medium roast coffee like the -blech- Pike Place roast).

10. Andnowlights says:

“”Also, make friends with a barista. They will most likely hook you up with free drinks a lot.” … not at the Barnes and Noble cafes, unless you want them to get fired. Can’t speak of Starbucks, but at the BN cafes if an employee is caught by management doing that, it’s an automatic dismissal. It’s a plainly stated consequence on loss prevention posters.

• lettucefactory says:

I’ve had friendly baristas throw in an extra shot or upgrade my size, but never outright give me a free drink for the hell of it. I’ve never worked at Starbucks myself so what do I know, but everything I know about retail business tells me that free drinks for friends and family are seriously frowned upon.

• earthprince says:

I would not want an employee to give me a free drink for this reason. Adding a few shots of espresso, however, is not a problem at all to me.

11. Why is this on Consumerist? says:

Viola?

12. earthprince says:

The Starbucks-Apple app calculates nutrition on its drinks, including caffeine. I started ordering Americano’s a while ago because of this.

13. octowussy says:

Are these just “tips”? I don’t understand the use of the word “hacks” in this context. It just sounds obnoxious.

14. TacomaRogue says:

IMO Starbucks has really gone down hill lately. The other day I ordered a dopio espresso, my usual drink, and the flavor made me gag it was so burnt tasting. I’d blame it on the location (warrenton, or anyone?) but even at home in the Tacoma/Seattle area I have yet to find a good location. Luckily I live in the land of coffee and have found a better, less expensive, coffee place (my mom’s house!) but I miss my espresso-cranberry bliss bar holiday treat combo.

• PhineasNanerpuss says:

With that flavor profile your shots likely sat before being handed off to you, If you ask for your shots to be repulled there should never be an issue.

• TacomaRogue says:

I did ask for new shots, I’ve been drinking their coffee since I was 7, I know what their old shots taste like… but even the new shots (that I watched them pull). And shots from various other locations have not been great. The over-all quality has declined in the last 4 years or so.

• RvLeshrac says:

I’ve never had a single cup of coffee, mixed coffee beverage, or even canned coffee drink, with the Starbucks name on it that didn’t taste horribly burnt.

Their tea has largely been fine, though they steep tea for all of about four seconds before cooling it down with milk, unless you beg them not to.

15. PhineasNanerpuss says:

Hate, hate, hate pieces like this.
    You can get a cup of drip coffee at starbucks for ~1.40-2.50 for short-venti (large) also depending upon local pricing.
    When people talk about the $7 cups of coffee, you’re looking at heavily modified (multiple shots, milk upgrades, ect.)
    There is a degree of value to be had at a Starbucks, you just need to be looking in the right spot.

As for the article, there are some blatantly false items, (don’t have to buy 2 pounds to get a free drink, 1 is sufficient if you have the registered card at the appropriate level of perks. 15 transactions not 10 for free drinks) some unethical ones, but some truth.
    If you come in a lot, or even come in occasionally and are civil with me I’d have no problem comping the occasional drink if you’re having a crummy day or forget your wallet or whatever.

TL/DR: Some truth, some false, be a human being.

• Nigerian prince looking for business partner says:

What is a milk upgrade?

• babyruthless says:

Soy or organic milk costs more than conventional cow’s milk.

• PhineasNanerpuss says:

Getting your drink made with soy, heavy whipping cream, 1/2 and 1/2.
        Afaik starbucks doesn’t offer any organic milk any longer, pretty sure it was completely phased out 3 ish years ago

• babyruthless says:

Wait. Can you get a drink made with heavy cream instead of milk? Like, could I, if I wanted to, get a latte made with cream? And then have a heart attack and die?

16. Etoiles says:

When I was in high school, a bunch of girls from my school worked at CVS and a bunch of guys from the high school worked at the Starbucks across the street. We would occasionally “forget” to check their IDs for cigarettes or “forget” that we weren’t related by blood to them and let them use our discounts, and they would routinely “forget” to charge us for our drinks or “forget” that we asked for talls and “accidentally” make us ventis.

In a related story, I spent about 80% of my senior year of high school chock full of caffeine.

17. banmojo says:

I eschew society and it’s overpriced caffeinated beverages!!! Just take a dried up cow pucky and steep it in hot water for 2 minutes, add cream/sugar to taste, and enjoy! I’ll bet you won’t be able to tell the difference between my recipe and that WhoreBucks crap :^)))

18. Jane_Gage says:

I pay people to wait on me so I get social interaction without the burden of making “friends.”

19. bruce9432 says:

McDonalds is as good as SBX

20. Stubtify says:

Join Starbucks Rewards.

Free Syrup ($.50 now)
    Free Soy Milk

Free coffe/Tea refills (even flavored tea).

Free drink after 15 drinks.

21. JohnDeere says:

starbucks has the nastiest coffee i ever had.

22. SugarMag says:

Other tips:

If you buy the Starbucks beans from a grocer/Target…the bag is a coupon for a free tall house blend. In the a.m. that is all I want and I haven’t paid for drip coffee in two years. (note: I dont buy coffee out everyday, maybe 2 days a week if it is free)

If you complain at all to Starbucks corporate, they send you free drink coupons. If you complain everyday for the same uncorrected problem they will send you coupons everyday. I received a total of 24 coupons in two weeks – coupons are good for any drink, no matter the price.

If you are a rewards member the syrup price is waived (30cents I think). You also get a free any-drink (expensive or not) if you buy a pound of beans and use your reward card.

I havent paid for a Starbuck coffee in over a year. I have bought beans, but that is something I would do anyway. Nice to get something free for it.

23. Weekilter says:

Americanos at fancy coffee places is a rip-off. They charge you an extra 75¢ or a dollar to add hot water to a shot of espresso.

24. sonnetfm says:

viola = a string instrument and old lady name
    voila = the word OP is looking for

at least it wasn’t written “walaaa!!”

25. Jay911 says:

Calling people “baristas” is part of the reason people get annoyed at places like Starbucks. You’re a clerk/cashier/drink server. Get over it. It’s like calling someone a “sanitation engineer” or “petroleum transfer specialist”.

26. Bye says:

The first suggestion was the last one I read.

There is NOT more caffeine content in espresso vis a vis a drip coffee. They are usually equal if not a little more caffeine in the drip coffee due to the extraction method.

27. sonnetfm says:

viola = a string instrument and old lady name
    voila = the word OP is looking for

at least it wasn’t written “walaaa!!”

28. sonnetfm says:

Also, why would I buy a gift for a distant co-worker??

29. junip says:

I used to order iced americanos with white chocolate syrup and just add a little half and half to it. Tastes just like an iced white mocha and waaaay cheaper. But I gave up starbucks a long long time ago when I decided I didn’t want to drink all my calories anymore.

30. Amy Alkon says:

If you’re just nice to your Starbucks barrista, they’ll probably tell you how to make your coffee cheaper, if it’s possible (short of staying home or going somewhere else). Get off your mobile phone and say hello, for starters!

31. abz_zeus says:

Starbucks, seriously? I like coffee and in a recent trip to the states I had a hard job finding a good cup of coffee. The best was brew my own super strength Starbucks Sumatran. There was no Javan anywhere & I mean coffee from Java

32. donovanr says:

This is really sticking to the man. Whoa knock another 30 cents off and we’ll take’m down.

As Bob Dillon sang, “Pay less at Starbucks or get out of the way.”

33. stevied says:

Here be a trick to save money….

……… Don’t drink the burnt dog hair served by Starucks.

34. Megladon says:

barista = coffee jocky. Call it what it really is.

35. parv says:

Speaking of expense at Starbucks, I used to have single or double shot (plain) espresso. 12-16oz (sometimes 20 oz too) Americano almost every other day; most of the time in paper cup. The monthly expenditure came out around $ 35. Add to that gas money & vehicle wear & tear for driving 2 miles in the town.

Here in Hilo, Hawai’i, 12 oz Americano costs $ 2.08, tax inclusive, in ceramic cup ($ 2.10 in paper cup); 16 oz costs $ 2.45 ($ 2.55); double shot espresso costs about $ 1.93.

Since last 2 months, I have started brewing my own coffee, mostly at work; I visit Starbucks for espresso occasionally. A grounded coffee beans bag of about 12 oz costs around $ 10-12 + tax, and lasts about 4-5 weeks while making coffee at least once in 5 days in a week. Add $ 2.79 + tax for a Melitta #2 40-filter pack (6 100-filter packs are coming via Amazon from CONUS soon). I haven’t counted my Starbucks expenses yet post work coffee brewing, nonethless estimate would be about $ 20.

In the end, it’s a wash on saving money on coffee intake; only way to have significant difference would be to make coffee at home on weekends too. Savings on driving expense and wear & tear are certainly there during weekdays.

(A Yogurtland & a Jamba Juice being next door certainly does not help the wallet, especially on weekends.)

• parv says:

“… I used to have single or double shot (plain) espresso. 12-16oz (sometimes 20 oz too) Americano almost every other day; most of the time in paper cup.” — parv

Horrrible! Make that to be ” … I used to have single or double shot (plain) espresso, 12-16 oz (sometimes 20 oz too) Americano almost every other day, most of the time in a paper cup.”

36. jedifarfy says:

First, save your money, buy a coffee pot, and do it yourselves.

Second, the espresso example is full of wrong. Brew caffeine > espresso caffeine. Order a cafe au lait (brew with milk) and a flavor add if you want. You get more caffeine, better flavor (ew espresso flavor), and half the price without being a jerk.

Third, when you order a venti frap in two tall cups, we know what you’re doing and hate you for it. Cheap bastards. BTW you’d be horrified at the chemicals you’re drinking. Have fun with your cancer!

Fourth, I highly doubt any barista will last long who “hooks you up” with free drinks and uses their employee discount to get things for you. It’s usually against company policy. So, if you don’t like them and hope they lose their job, go for it!