Calculate How Many Days Of Work That New Shirt Will Cost You

DaysToPay is a handy little site that quickly shows you how long you will have to work in order to buy something. Enter the cost and your hourly wage or yearly salary and it shows you just how much of your sweat is going into that new Xbox Kinect.

“If you knew you had to work 3 Days, 6 hours and 41 minutes to pay for a shirt, would you still want to buy purchase it? Maybe you do, maybe not. The app is just here to help with a little perspective when you want it,” writes the developer.

You can even configure it to include your income tax and factor in for your miscellaneous daily and monthly expenses in the calculations.

A good little site to bookmark and add to your mobile phone’s homepage, especially if you find yourself needing to throw a little cold water on your impulse purchases.

DaysToPay [Official Site]

RELATED
Force A Reality Check With This “Real Cost” Credit Card Tool

Comments

1. MamaBug says:

Eh. I don’t think it’s entirely accurate, esp when you work more than 50 hrs/week.

2. obits3 says:

This is great. Once I started my first job at BK, I would think “Wow, this CD cost 3 hours of work.”

3. fff398 says:

mmmm so if I don’t have a job right now….if I put in an hourly rate of 0 dollars an hour….I get my item 4 days ago. GREAT!

4. earthprince says:

I don’t find much use for the site, but I do generally think in terms like this sometimes to convince myself not to buy something. “Does this trinket really have the same value to me as an hour or two of working?” Sometimes that’s all I need to put it down and not buy.

That being said, everyone has their interests. There are some old toys I’d pay hundreds of dollars for, while also refusing to pay full price for a shirt from the Gap. This price-to-work comparison takes a backseat in these cases.

5. SimplyStating says:

If that is the case.. Wow depressing.. lol.. Guess buying that new computer just got put into a new light lol.. All the sudden feels like a teenager whose parents said NO.. lol

6. FrugalFreak says:

nice Google Adsite with a calculator.

7. frank64 says:

It doesn’t take into account your taxes, which means it will be about 25% more days than it says, of course depending on how much you earn and local taxes.

That is a huge miss on their part.

8. Gulliver says:

This may work for those who are hourly or a straight salary, but as a commissioned sales person I can work one hour on some clients and earn $20,000 and work 1000 hours on another and earn zero. My earnings are based on what I sell. I never like to look at selling my time to people. I sell my abilities and performance when it comes to my earnings. In 2009 I made more money than I did in 2008, yet worked fewer hours.

9. WhiteWolfAniu says:

Not useful at all. I work two different jobs in the USA, with different pays, and different taxes taken out.

10. ElizabethD says:

Now that I’m paid hourly, this almost makes sense. Not that I prefer to be paid hourly. 8-/

11. lchen says:

As a freelancer I make a lot if I count by the hour, but not much by the number of jobs a year.

12. laughingisfree says:

It’s going to take me 2 weeks to buy friends.

13. lordargent says:

Hot damn, that’s one expensive shirt.

/obvious answer

/I grew up poor so I know the value of a dollar, now I pay more in taxes in a year than I made at my first adult job and every once in a while I have a WTF moment (as in WTF, I used to live on THAT?)

• Erika'sPowerMinute says:

My WTF moments tend to be yours, plus, “WTF we have a hard time making ends meet when we make almost 3X what we did ten years ago and we’re pretty frugal?! Screw, you expensive world, and most especially the dental and orthodontic communities.”

14. Rachacha says:

I find the privacy disclaimer a bit amusing:
    ” Don’t worry about privacy issues because no information is sent over the internet. All calculations are performed directly in your browser”

Umm, last time I checked, your browser connected to the internet and IE/FF/Chrome did not have a built in calculation engine so either they are naking use of system resources or they are transmitting data over the internet.

• Rachacha says:

OK, I take it back. I went to their website, disconnected from the internet and plugged in some random numbers, and it actually seemed to calculate them correctly. Damn this modern internet and its fancy tubes.

• JJ! says:

While I haven’t actually looked at the page source, there’s a number of ways to do calculations locally in a browser – JavaScript, java applets, etc. Seems likely they’re using JavaScript, which can be done entirely locally. The only time data would need to be transmitted is in the initial download to your browser.

15. jaydez860 says:

Greeeeat… To pay for the estimated expenses of my wedding I have coming up next year I would have to work 445 days…. yikes. Then again it is nothing compared to the lifetime of work to pay for the marriage itself.

• Erika'sPowerMinute says:

Time to scale back there, dude. We eloped and stayed in a B&B for a weekend for a grand total fo $400 and ten years later we’re just as married as the zillion-dollar blowout goobers. (Actually probably more married ’cause lots of them got divorced : )

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

I agree – either he makes very little in comparison to the very reasonable costs, or he;s spending way too much. 400+ days is A LOT of days to work to pay off a wedding.

16. Cicadymn says:

With my salary and monthly expenses it would take me approximately: 2388 days (6.5 years) 07 hrs 23 mins 51 secs to buy that $65,000 T-Rex tooth/diamond coated iPhone 4.

I’m going for it.

17. Blueskylaw says:

A more important number is that you worked the first 231 days of 2010 working for the government just to pay your taxes.

18. dolemite says:

I don’t quite understand how it calculates.

For example…if you put in 40k a year, it says it takes 1 day to pay off 100 dollars.

If you put in 80k a year, it says it takes 4 hours. How does it go from 26 hours to 4 when you double your pay, but expenses stay the same?

• Alter_ego says:

I think the “day” is based on how many hours you work a week/number of days a week. So it’s 1 work day, or 8 hours, and that gets divided in half to 4 hours when you double the salary.

19. Hi_Hello says:

Does it take into account you bills and living expensives?

In HS i use to think, 2 hrs of work and i can buy this and that.
    Now I have to work this much hours to pay the bills, cover the saving, cover transportation cost, food, rent, and now i have extra money.

20. duncanblackthorne says:

Gee, am I the only one who thinks this looks like just another way to gather data on consumers? I have a nice handy little calculator that comes with Windows, I think I’ll use that instead, mmkay?