Traffic Camera Enters Drivers Who Obey Speed Limit Into Lottery

The winning entry in “The Fun Theory” contest is a traffic camera that instead of just ticketing speeders, it also enters people who drive the speed limit into a lottery. Randomly selected winners get paid out of a portion of the tickets paid by the scofflaws.

Before they put in the camera, the average speed was 32 km/h. After, it was 25, a 22% reduction.

It’s a neat idea. I’d also like to see it compared to the before and after on an intersection where they just put in the punitive speed camera, though. Not to mention some of the slowing down might just have been due to people wondering what this device they hadn’t seen before was doing on the streets.

What do you think, would this work in the real world?

Comments

1. Robofish says:

Speed Camera = evil. I’ve never been ticketed but I don’t agree with them being on and ticketing people in construction zones when THERE IS NO CONSTRUCTION at the time. They were only meant to be on during the construction times. It seems our Maryland representatives do not agree no matter how many times people write in. Of course when you watch it write 5, 40 dollar tickets when driving past one exit you see the money grab this thing is. grrrrrr /end rant

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

Most state governments allow for petition-led laws and referendums to be added to the state elections. You should get proactive.

• dangerp says:

Makes me glad these things aren’t legal in California. It’s wrong on so many levels, including the ones you just mentioned.

• nrich239 says:

I got a lovely picture of my car through one of those.
      Then after looking up the website, my rage boiled over.

Current tickets given as of 10/31 is over 182000.

• Cameraman says:

Saturday night, I was doing 60 on the 695 (because when leaving Baltimore I like to go as fast as possible, that’s why), when all of a sudden FLASH. I thought the world had ended and am very surprised I didn’t hit anything before my night vision came back.

Why do I have to go 50 mph when there is no construction going on? Am I going to kill an orange cone?

• Rachacha says:

I think I was “flashed” in that same section of the beltway (late evening on a Sunday with little traffic and no construction). 60 days later and I still have not received a ticket in the mail. We will see if one actually shows up

• S says:

I wonder what happens if your ticket becomes lost in the mail.

• HeroOfHyla says:

From what I understand, them mailing the ticket doesn’t count as you being served, so you don’t really have to pay until someone physically shows up to give you the ticket. I’m not a lawyer though.

• SMP says:

The cameras on the Baltimore beltway give you a 12 mph buffer. I go through them going 60 mph (the signs say 50 mph) every day (at least when all the idiots don’t slow down to 45 mph and block traffic). I’ve never gotten a ticket from them.

• wackydan says:

Perhaps due to construction the road itself is considered a hazard and speed should be lowered appropriately. In many cases, with uneven pavement and lane shifts, the reduced speed limit is warranted.

• zigzagdance says:

They have a white SUV they park on the median. It has some crazy black camera mounted on the hood. It’s either facing north or southbound, i’ve never seen two though. Watch out for that and you should be safe.

• gfonner says:

Reduced speed zone aren’t just for the safety of workers, but also our safety. During construction projects, lanes are narrowed or traffic patterns change. By decreasing your speed, you’re also helping to keep yourself and your fellow motorists safe.

• lordargent says:

What about the roads that have narrower lanes but higher speed limits. Where is the consistency.

/There’s one curvy road on the way to downtown where the speed limit is 50, and I think to myself, they’re crazy for setting the limit this high.

And a few blocks away, another road into downtown where the speed limit is 40, and I think to myself, they’re crazy for setting the limit this low.

• longdvsn says:

My problem is that they’re most often put up for revenue generation. The city gets money for each ticket – either directly, or a cut of what the third-party collects (often 3rd party companies are the ones maintaining the cameras).

I actually like this speed camera – at least some of the theory behind it. Money collected from speed cameras (and red light cameras, etc.) should be given back to those who obey the law…not put into the pockets of the city that needed a new way to tax people, and especially not into the pockets of a third party corporation. That way, you can at least know that they care about SAFETY – and not about the $$$.

So…to summarize:
      Speed Camera = pure evil if operated for-profit by third party company
      Speed Camera = pretty evil if operated by city as revenue generation
      Speed Camera = mostly alright when revenue goes right back to those who obey the law and create a safer environment.

• Snoofin says:

• Limewater says:

“Dont run red lights and speed and you dont need to worry about it. Dont sit in intersections waiting for the light to turn red so you can make a left turn because you are too impatient to wait several light cycles to make that left turn. I really hate people who do that.”

That rule varies from state to state. In a lot of places, what you describe is exactly what a driver is supposed to do.

• XTC46 says:

Its legal to block intersections in some states?

I get pissed when I am trying to go north through an intersection and a line of traffic caught going east/west which then blocks the route north/south and causes traffic jams in that direction.

• Limewater says:

No, blocking the intersection isn’t legal. But, if you’re turning left on a circular green, in a lot of states you’re supposed to go ahead and pull out into the intersection and wait until the way is clear, even if that means waiting until the light turns red to complete your turn.

You still aren’t supposed to pull into an intersection when you know that the road is already jammed on the other side.

• dwasifar says:

So you’re the clown who holds things up at the light.

The people you hate are trying to make traffic flow better, and in many (if not most) areas, are obeying the law. They’re not just doing themselves a favor, they’re helping out the guy behind them too.

It is legal to enter an intersection on the green even if you have to wait to exit it, so long as you are not stuck there blocking traffic when the light changes. In most cases, two or three more cars can get through the left turn that way, if the first car gets out there into the intersection while the light is still green.

I don’t know what state you live in, but I suggest you consult your state’s Rules of the Road publication the next time you go in to renew your license. You might be in for a rude shock.

• James says:

It DOES matter why they are there.

Cities change the timing of lights to shorten yellows. That means more $$ for red light cameras.

If it is about safety, then how about adding a half second or even a full second to the yellow. It reduces as much, if not more, crashes. Add a half second to the red light before the other side turns green.

And speed cameras are the same, if you want to reduce speeding. First set reasonable speed limits. Doing 55 across the open parts of Montana, Arizona? How about a 5 lane road (2/2/Center turn) with a speed limit of 25? Dramatic shifts in speed limits? I’m reminded of the Dukes of Hazzard, where signs will magically appear so I’m doing 20 over.

Most of these ‘safety devices’ are for revenue generation. Some cities in Texas have turned them off (but not dismantled them) because they didn’t generate enough revenue.

James

• kcvaliant says:

Not saying I have seen this..

But kids with paintball guns reek havoc on those cameras.. Takes a while for them to realize the lens is covered and needs to be wiped off..

2. fs2k2isfun says:

Cool idea, but I have major privacy concerns with the government photographing cars and analyzing the data like that.

• physics2010 says:

Honey it says you won the lottery for driving safe on March 5th down next to that big hotel. Weren’t you on a business trip on March 5th?

• Bella_dilo17 says:

Maybe it can be that they have a sticker next to their license plates/register.

3. Darkrose says:

When I was driving back from Florida to Pennsylvania this Thanksgiving weekend, there was a temporary speed camera set up in southern South Carolina. I don’t know if it did ANY business considering traffic was backed up for about 3 miles and people were passing at 15 miles an hour…

Gotta love tax dollars at work.

• nucwin83 says:

Ridgeland. They’re violating SC law that prohibits speed cameras because they claim that since the cameras are manned, that the officer’s observation is the primary evidence, and that the photos are simply ‘assisting’ the officer. The state AG office doesn’t agree, and I’d think you could easily get the tickets thrown out if you tried.

4. Mike says:

This is such a good idea that there is exactly a 0% chance the US will ever try it.

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

Where was this implemented? I can’t see the video if it’s there.

• dangerp says:

cynical much?

• Mike says:

I just got back from a long driving trip through Europe. After you spent weeks safely driving a BMW 100 MPH plus on the Autobahns you realize just how stupid we are as a country when it comes to driving. So yes, I am cynical.

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

Given those readers often state a speed 5-10 mph off, I trust my speedometer more. This in particular since I actually keep my tires routinely at recommended psi.

• majortom1981 says:

The autobahn was built to handle those speeds. Many of the roads here in the US arent.

Here on long island the roads were built for 45mph >There are accidents all the time of cars wrapped around trees because they were doing 100mph.

The only road ment to go fast on here on long island was built by the vanderbuilts and was taken up and repalced by a slower road. (he built it to race on lol).

• c!tizen says:

We’ll implement it, a variation of it anyway. Instead of entering the “good drivers” in a lottery, they’ll be ticketed for not reporting the speeders. Capitalism FTW!

5. APriusAndAGrill says:

I have gotten several tickets, I just reply that I had allowed my work to use my car and some employee was driving at the time. If they can’t prove it was you, they usually drop the tickets anyways.

I like this idea but I see a problem of people abruptly slowly down to be under the speed limit, and causing accidents.

• Tim says:

Also known as perjury.

You’re supposed to just say it wasn’t you. They can’t force you to say who it was ,,, Fifth Amendment and all. But if you say it was someone else, and they decide to prove it was you (it has your photo), that’s perjury.

• APriusAndAGrill says:

Cool, they never do. I look like every other upper 20s guy. I guess they feel its not worth proving. This being in a county that goes to court 500 times a year out of 15,000 felonies.

• Gulliver says:

You are mistaken that you are entitled to drive. You do not have to pay the ticket, they do not have to renew your license. Speeding is a CIVIL infraction on most states. If that “unknown employee” took the car and killed somebody YOU are legally responsible if they decide to sue you. You can turn around and sue the “unknown employee”, but the victim (the state) can sue whomever they want. Unless you provide proof you received those tickets and had them dismissed on perjured statements you are a liar. Oh wait, you already have proven you will lie to ANYBODY if it fits your needs, so I am sure you would NEVER lie on line.

• Coelacanth says:

How is just saying, “it wasn’t me!” any different than saying “it was somebody else?”

Perjury is perjury.

• APriusAndAGrill says:

And I don’t say who it is, just that it is an unknown employee.

• SabreDC says:

And in most states, the tickets are the liability of the registered owner even if the owner isn’t the one driving.

6. meb says:

1. Drive around the same block 5,000 times per day at or below the posted limit.
    2. ???
    3. Profit!

• Hi_Hello says:

hahahahahha

• LionMan says:

Better:

1. Figure out on the picture where the license plate would be.
      2. Find camera
      3. Put sticker with your license plate on it right where the license plate would be on picture.
      4. Get money that would normally go to other motorists. (replaces ???)
      5. Profit!!!

7. You Can Call Me Al(isa) says:

They have added some speed cameras in school zones around Madison. I think it does get people to slow down in that area, but they are definitely not accurate. You can never tell which car it is detecting and once it clocked me at 29 when my speedometer said 27.

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

As always is the case with those things. It’s TSA-level Safety Theater. It’s not accurate, so you can’t use it to judge your speed. You also already know what speed you’re going; so, all these do is to try to shame and/or scare you into obeying the law, assuming you weren’t doing so anyway.

• qwickone says:

That’s so weird. I have never had a speed camera clock more than my speedometer. In fact, it’s almost always under (by 2-3 mph). Could my car manufacturer (Acura) make my speedometer show a higher number on purpose? It was like that in my old Acura also, so I don’t think it was just a fluke.

• Mike says:

Your speedometer in your car is actually not as accurate as you would think. If you have a smart phone, download a speedometer app and use GPS to calculate your speed, it can be much more accurate. Speedometers in your car are affected by a number of things, tire pressure, size, etc.

If there was only a 2-3 MPH difference that is actually pretty good.

8. MercuryPDX says:

I really don’t see the state/city/county government giving up ANY portion of the fines they collect for this. Even more so for scofflaws, who DON’T pay tickets

9. cgalleria93 says:

The idea is that random individuals will get a few dollars and speeders will still get tickets. Nothing fun about it. The average speeds comparison at the end of the movie doesn’t mean a thing. Even if no one won any money, they would find that a camera would curb individuals’ behavior.

10. spamtasticus says:

Does everyone realize the biggest problem with red light cameras is that if they did what they are meant to do, lower red light running, they would become unmaintainable as a result of becoming unprofitable for the private firm that installs them. Therefore there is no way that any of these cameras is actually making us safer by curving accidents. Data has shown that that the cameras decrease side impacts slightly but increase rear end impacts significantly yielding an increase in accidents where deployed.

• Snoofin says:

They only increas rear end collisions because of the assholes who tailgate. If people wouldnt tailgate they would have plenty of time to slow down. People need more patience

• Fett101 says:

Nonsense. It’s because people slam their brakes on when the yellow light comes on for fear of getting a ticket. Doesn’t help that many times they shorten the yellow light time when they install cameras.

• Snoofin says:

Yeah and if they slam on their brakes the person behind will have plenty of space to stop if youre not tailgating.

• shepd says:

I see you live somewhere without freezing rain or snow. I suppose I *could* leave 300 feet of space (Approximate stopping distance for my car loaded with passengers at 60 km/h with cheap all-season tires installed, which are permitted here), but then I would get ticketed for obstructing traffic.

(Of course, I have winter tires because I don’t have an insurance claim wish, but still…)

• Gulliver says:

Thats ridiculous. The law states you must be at a distance which allows you to stop if the car in front of you should be forced to slam on their brakes. What if a dog, or child ran in front of the car. The fact that you rear ended somebody will in almost every instance lead to you being cited for at fault.

• ecwis says:

This is probably the most annoying things about the cameras. I live right next to one and the second the light turns yellow, people slam on their brakes. I guess they don’t understand the lights and they just do it out of an abundance of caution. They certainly don’t want to get a $100 “ticket!”

• spamtasticus says:

Agreed. Idiots tailgate. If they hit someone then it is their fault and they should face the consequences. But that is not the point here. If the cameras are about making us safer and not about revenue generation then the fact that they cause more accidents than they prevent is very telling about their motivation. Add to that all the stories of yellow light shortening, the choices of what intersections to tape and the other corruption cases and you get my issue.

11. MarvinMar says:

Perhaps that decrease in average speed was from people slowing down to see what the camers was all about.
    Once they know..Speed back up.

If this really worked, All they would need to do is place 1 overturned car and 2 cop cars on the side of the freeway every 10 miles and there would be no more speeding.

12. muscles says:

I imagine that this would result in people slowing down just long enough to be registered by the camera, and then speeding up again. It would probably have effects similar to rubbernecking.

13. Snoofin says:

People always complain that they are only put up for revenue collection but It doesnt matter WHY they are there. If people wouldnt break the law there wouldnt be ANY revenue to collect. Dont run red lights and speed and you dont need to worry about it. Dont sit in intersections waiting for the light to turn red so you can make a left turn because you are too impatient to wait several light cycles to make that left turn. I really hate people who do that.

• JayDeEm says:

The basic problem is that no matter how much we might want people to just do what they’re supposed to do, some will not (intentionally or unintentionally depending on your bias). Traffic cameras emerged as a way for local governments and a couple private companies to profit from this reality. For all of the reasons discussed time and time again in endless threads on this topic, they tend to cause more harm than good. Their continued existence is completely dependent on their failure to change driver behavior.

Just to reiterate, their very existence is threatened once they begin to serve their stated purpose. I lived in Phoenix for 4 years and saw them come and go, none lasted more than a couple years because once drivers got wise and the bulb stopped flashing, they became a financial liability and were removed. If they were truly about safety they would have stayed up despite the fact that they now cost money to operate.

• S says:

If speed limits were set by engineers, more people would be willing to obey the speed limit.

There is a road near where I live that has a 20 mile long, almost straight stretch punctuated only by a caution light. At the caution light there is a gas station, 6 houses, and a cemetery. The rest of the road is void of buildings until you reach either the interstate, or the next town of considerable size. Three miles before you get to the caution light, the speed limit drops from 55 to 45. One mile before the light, it drops to 35. You never have to stop as the light blinks yellow for that main road, but for about six miles you must watch your speed or risk being pulled over by state police or sheriff officers out to make their quota.

I can guarantee you that an engineer did not set these speed limits.

• agb2000 says:

You are supposed to pull into the intersection when the light is green and wait for a time to turn left. It’s the law.

• Snoofin says:

You might want to reread your driving manual. I just checked mine and there is no time I should run a red light which is what youre doing sitting in an intersection

• Gulliver says:

Are you stupid or just dense? If the light is green, you are to move to the middle of the intersection until traffic clears. You are to COMPLETE the turn when it is safe, PERIOD. You might want to talk to your state police, or local agency. If the world lived like you suggest the entire world would be stuck sitting at a fucking red light during rush hour. I know plenty of streets where people would NEVER get to make a left hand turn. Please learn the law before you open you mouth.

• Snoofin says:

Have a little patience instead of trying to rush home from work. Yes maybe youll have to wait through 10 or 12 light cycles but you will eventually get through the light by waiting.

• dwasifar says:

I can’t tell if you’re a troll or just an inconsiderate ignoramus.

If you want to park your car, do it in your driveway, not in a traffic lane on a green light. You may not have anywhere special to be, but other people do. Go exercise your boundless patience waiting at a bus stop, and leave the roads to people who actually want to get somewhere.

• ecwis says:

+1!

• Snoofin says:

Not a troll. If you people would have patience instead of getting pissed off and blowing your horn you might find you enjoy the slower pace. It’s not parking your car, it’s waiting for an opening to make a safe left turn. You know you could always go a block past your left turn and make 3 rights to go the way you want to and it might even be faster.

Personally I think they should just make left turns illegal if there isnt a designated turning lane with green arrow to allow for the turn. Any other left turns just hold up traffic.

• SonicPhoenix says:

At least in NY, you’re wrong.

In the example for the second bullet from the top:
                  “You want to turn left at an intersection ahead. A vehicle is approaching from the opposite direction, going straight ahead. You must wait for approaching traffic to go through before you turn. You may enter the intersection, however, to prepare for your left turn if the light is green and no other vehicle ahead of you is preparing for a left turn (see “Turns” later in this chapter). When you enter the intersection, stay to the right of the center line. Keep your wheels straight to avoid being pushed into oncoming traffic should a rear-end collision occur. When approaching traffic clears or stops for a red light, complete your turn.”

• Gruppa says:

Slower pace? Sitting at the line waiting to make a left for 20+ minutes? Did you get your license out of a Cracker Jack box? I would tell you how big of a fool you are but the list of states at the start of these comments where you are supposed to pull into the intersection and wait for the light to turn yellow/red if a gap doesn’t open up beforehand already proves it.

• phixional-ninja says:

And you will be listening to my horn cycles 2 through 12.

• damicatz says:

After light cycle 2, I’d just go around you. And don’t think I won’t because I’ve done it before.

I live in the south so we have a lot of morons on the road. Time is money and some people have places they need to be.

Sadly, the people that design our roads and traffic patterns are so bad that a team of monkeys scribbling on a map could design a better road system. If people need to wait 10-12 light cycles to make a left turn then perhaps it’s time to put a left turn arrow on the light.

Around here, we have a notorious thoroughfare (the only one in or out of town) with only 4 lanes and like 10 stoplights. And the city deliberately times the lights (by their own admission even) so that each one is red in sequence so you always pull up to a red light and have to stop at each and every one (they do this to “discourage” through traffic but I suspect it’s really a revenue generating ploy to make people angry enough to start running reds).

I also know that the police love to sit and manipulate the lights. They have little controllers that plug into the control box. One officer will sit their and flip the light to red super fast without the proper lead time and another will give tickets to people for “running” the red light.

• jessjj347 says:

And do you know what the point of traffic laws are? To keep the flow of traffic going…
              When you stop for 12 light cycles, you’re creating an unsafe condition because others behind you will merge to the right lane to try to pass you – and they won’t get their speed potentially high enough, etc, etc.

• dwasifar says:

You are not running a red light unless the light was red when you entered the intersection.

How did you get a license?

• HeroOfHyla says:

I have heard tons of conflicting information about this in my state (Arizona). My dad had to take a driving course (wanted to get out of points on his license for a red light ticket), and they said there that the law had changed so that you had to be completely through the intersection before the light changed.
        When I took a course to get my learner’s permit, the instructor said it was against the law not to pull into the intersection.
        When I took driving classes to get out of having to do the driving test for my license, the instructor said it was optional, and he only pulled into the intersection when there wasn’t a camera there.

• Arcaeris says:

In several states, such as Colorado, the law is that you pull into the intersection when it’s green and you are required to make the turn as soon as the light turns red if that’s the only safe time.

14. stevied says:

Oh great. Even when I ain’t speeding I have to be careful of who is sitting in the car with me.

15. Extended-Warranty says:

I wish the lottery was more like this. Reward the people who contribute to society and do what is right.

Unfortunately, that would disqualify half of the population.

16. anduin says:

psh obviously nobody here has license plate flippers or slanted covers

17. human_shield says:

This is awesome.

18. EverCynicalTHX says:

We all know the intent of speed cameras and the companies that peddle this crap – nothing really to do with public safety and everything to do with mobster style extortion…they don’t break your kneecaps but you will pay the money or lose your license..or be fined into oblivion…

Who can lose at that racket??

People hate these f…. (redacted)s so to improve their image they enter folks into a gambling racket that’s illegal if you, me or your local pub runs it but all so wonderfal when administered by the states – like our worse odds in the country scratch offs in NC.

Color me pessimist….those vampires can kiss my lilly white ass!

19. RideTheLightning says:

It’s a nice idea, but there’s an inherent problem with speed limits themselves. They really don’t keep people safer. Drivers have enough common sense to understand what a safe speed to drive at is and anyone who drives at a terribly unreasonable and dangerous speed was probably going to do so anyway, even if there was a posted speed limit. For a while Montana eliminated all non-urban speed limits in 1966 and found that fatalities didn’t go up at all. Speed limits are just a way for a state to make money and don’t necessarily keep people any safer than if the speed limits didn’t exist.

20. gman863 says:

HOW TO GET RID OF PESKY COP CAMERAS:

1. Circulate petition in your city to get a referendum on the next ballot for a vote on outlawing “red light” or similar unmanned ticket cameras.

2. Follow procedures to certify petition and get issue on ballot.

3. Watch referendum pass even though third party camera/ticket company spent a few million bucks running scare ads showing zombie versions of “Jerry’s Kids” as alleged accident victims.

4. Admire the size of the camera company’s balls as they sue the city for “breach of contract” since pepole actually had a vote on the issue.

5. Believe it. Voters in Houston took steps 1-3; the traffic camera company is currently showing the size of their balls in step 4. As a side note, the Houston City Council is now whining about the 7 million per year they’ve lost in “added revenue” from the cameras.

• Kimaroo - 100% Pure Natural Kitteh says:

Yeah, I know. Awesome ain’t it? I’m so sick of the mayor whining about money every day on the news. How about stopping the crazy waste down town at traffic court? My dad is retired HPD and I can’t even tell you how much time and a half overtime pay he made in 22 years due to traffic court. He shows up, sits around a few hours, they dismiss most of the cases because they don’t have enough time to hear them all, the person goes home without having to pay their fine, dad goes to his regular beat and has some nice extra bucks on his paycheck. Rinse and repeat next week. Not to mention all the courthouse staff and judges.

I know first hand because I used to go to court with him sometimes and I NEVER got to see an actual case.

• gman863 says:

If I ever get a moving violation ticket again, I’ll keep this in mind. If the cop doesn’t show I’m guessing it violates the whole “speedy trial” Constitutional thing.

My only ticket in the past 20 years? Yep. In the mail, $75, stuck in gridlock off Beltway 8 when the light changed.

If Houston wants one more shot at making money off the cameras, I’ll gladly give them an additional $75 in exchange for 30 seconds with a sledge hammer to help take them down.

21. Levk says:

nah once people get use to it, they will go fast

22. shufflemoomin says:

I love this idea. There’s simply no reason for driving over the limit and not only do I get joy from seeing people punished for breaking the law, I like the idea of being rewarded for following it. Yes, it’s sad that we have to entice people into following the law, but I’ll take it.

23. AjariBonten says:

Baaaaaa Baaaaaaaaaaa , line up Sheeple, trade any semblance of freedom for a chance to win BIG!

24. Nobby says:

I have a confession. When I was in the Air Force, I was based near Cambridge, England for several years. I saw a fellow Airman break into my car and steal some things. It came down to my word against his and the whole thing just went away. Since I was intent on getting revenge and I knew he had recently been busted for driving 100+ mph, I went into action. I went and rented a White VW Golf (just like his) and had a “novelty plate” made. Then I took a day off (the same day off he had) and proceeded to hit every known speed Camera in Cambridge, multiple times. Needless to say, the first sergeant ripped him a new one and he wound up losing a stripe for six months (amounting to hundreds, if not thousand of dollars). Not only that, the Air Force didn’t allow him to reenlist. So I got my revenge, plus some. Rick–if you’re reading this…I STILL WANT MY STUFF BACK.

25. bschaa00 says:

I would do the speed limit if I could win some of the cash money, why not? And I wouldnt want a speeding ticket.

26. Conspirator says:

Am I the only one who glanced at the headline and only saw “Traffic Camera Enters Drivers”? Sounds like an invasion of privacy.

27. xamarshahx says:

dumb dumb dumb idea!! just means everybody will slam their brakes in front of the camera to enter the lottery causing more accidents

28. shepd says:

Hold on a second, the carrot approach actually works?

And all this time I was spanking baby because she was hungry! For some reason, she was just crying louder!

What’s next, using police to stop people when they go through a red light rather than letting them go through it for a few weeks while you write up a summons to court with camera evidence? WOW!

29. FrugalFreak says:

I object based on they are collecting your data and location when no laws have been broken

30. maztec says:

How lasting a result would this have?

Cool idea though. Of course, good street design takes care of a lot of speeding issues, but few people seem to think about that.

31. Jerkamie says:

I used to deliver to a city where they would take normal cars and turn them into mobile speed cameras and they would drive around and park in random spots.

32. LollyPoppers says:

i like how people just keep saying that speed cameras are like the end of civilization and the beginning of a police state. Could they be more paranoid? Try accurate and efficient law enforcement.

33. EEW says:

This lottery, from a psychological standpoint, is a great idea. It uses the principle of operant conditioning on an intermittent reinforcement schedule, which is the best choice if you want to create a long-lasting response. The reinforcement for driving the speed limit is the potential to win the lottery. What a great idea.