USDA Recalls 72,000 lbs Of Canned Chicken Salad

Time to find something else to eat for lunch. Packs of Bumble Bee Chicken Salads were recalled today as some of them may be “contaminated with pieces of hard plastic.”

The recall affects Bumble Bee Lunch on the Run Chicken Salad Complete Lunch Kit – 8.2-ounce package (UPC 8660070741) with a “Best-by” date of 07/11 and Bumble Bee Chicken Salad with Crackers Ready-to-Eat Kit – 3.5-ounce package (UPC 8660070350) with a “Best-by” dates of 01/12 and 02/12.

No injuries have been reported. The recall came after consumers complained about finding plastic in their food, which is why if you find foreign stuff in your meals you should always report it.

bumblebeechikisalad.jpgIllinois Firm Recalls Canned Chicken Salad Products That May Contain Foreign Materials [USDA] (Thanks to Candace!)

Comments

1. hotdogsunrise says:

Chicken salad has always creeped me out.

2. Darrone says:

Chicken salad in a can just seems like a bad idea to me. Maybe this is a sign.

3. failurate says:

When I was a teen, the night before Christmas I snacked on a tuna salad pack similar to this. Was violently sick all of Christmas day. Missed the big family dinner. My family brought me back a dried out end piece of the prime rib my uncle served. I was able to eat it a couple of days later.

• failurate says:

And, I know it could have been anything I had eaten in the 1 to 3 days prior, but the last thing I recalled eating before waking up sick was the tuna snack pack. Turned me off of tuna and mayonnaise for many years.

4. pop top says:

These little snack packs are actually really nice to keep around the office if you don’t have time to grab lunch or forgot it at home. I’ll have to check and see if I have any of the recalled stuff at home.

5. rpm773 says:

From the USDA HQ: “We’re having a big lunch meeting tomorrow, and we forgot to call the caterer. What do we do?”

6. do-it-myself says:

I found a small chicken bone in a Lean Cuisine a few years ago. I never got around to reporting it because lo and behold they didn’t have a phone number on the box.

7. Awesome McAwesomeness says:

Gross. Canned Chicken salad? People really eat this stuff?

8. jpdanzig says:

What has happened to Bumble Bee? I’ve read numerous reports at ConsumerAffairs.com of folks encountering mushy, liquid, inedible “chunk” tuna with pieces of bone. At this point, I wouldn’t go near one of their products…

9. Killfile says:

Just a quick correction: the USDA has no recall authority on… well… anything. The firm, not the US Department of Agriculture, ordered the recall. Now the USDA might or might not have strongly suggested it, but that’s the extent of their regulatory power.