American Psycho: The Musical, Coming To Broadway!

American Psycho, the dark murder-satire flick starring Christian Bale where he assumes the identity of a rival Wall Street banker and commits a series of decadent killings, is coming to Broadway!

“There are murders in full view of the audience. There’s going to be a lot of blood,” playwright Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa told the New York Post.

Book will be by Duncan Sheik, who also did “Spring Awakening.” There he adapted a 19th century German morality play about the perils of abortion in a sexually oppressive society into a rock-and-roll testament to the power of young love. Presumably “Psycho” will receive similar treatment.

Indeed, the composer likened his approach to the scene in “A Clockwork Orange” where Malcolm McDowell, after getting into their home under false pretense, sings “Singing In The Rain” as he and a pal brutally assault an elderly and respected writer while raping his wife.

I can’t think of a better poetic rendering of the last five years on Wall Street.

‘American Psycho’ musical in the works [New York Post]

Comments

1. rambo76098 says:

Very Nice… “Serious of Killings” instead of “Series.”

2. tungstencoil says:

I. Am. So. There.

3. Consumeristing says:

It’s gonna be like a Gallagher show. It will be awesome if it’s like that.

4. daemonaquila says:

Oh. Yay. Yet one more movie adapted to a Broadway musical. Fail.

• Bativac says:

Really, are musicals so desperate that they have to resort to stuff like this to guarantee butts in the seats? Between this, Shrek the musical, and Spider-Man the musical…

• HoJu says:

This is the shit that is guaranteed to sell. When you produce a show like Light in the Piazza or Next to Normal you run the risk that it will not run very long or even make it to Broadway at all. They may be amazing shows, they’re not not as marketable to the masses as friggen Shrek or the biggest Broadway abomination of all time- Rock of Ages.

• rorschachex says:

I dunno, I don’t see those shows. “Bloody, Bloody Andrew Jackson” was hilarious, though, and quite original. However, I feel that the mainstream tourist audience wouldn’t want to see it. I mean why do you come to New York anyway? To see and experience original culture and history of a diverse variety of people successful in many different walks of life? No. It’s to eat at the Olive Garden and see Lion King for the third time, since it’s the only “tasteful thing ever put on Broadway.”

• SabreDC says:

Actually, it’s a book adapted to a Broadway musical… but close enough I suppose.

5. misterfweem says:

And this is on Consumerist because . . .

6. Cicadymn says:

inb4 Check ‘Em

7. smarmyjones goes cattywampus says:

But…think of those poor stray cats who will be ATM fodder

8. Mike says:

Eggshell with Romalian type.

9. deejmer says:

Ugh. I can sit though almost any movie, but American Psycho was the ONLY movie I have ever stood up in the theater and just abandoned my ticket. I’m not some anti-violence lobbyist, its just such a shit movie.

• Mark702 says:

Same here. I can stand almost any movie, but not that one. It’s just so dumb. In comparison, Dexter is my favorite show.

10. GrammatonCleric says:

Loved the movie. Normally i’m not one for musicals, or plays, but I think Patrick Bateman would be an awesome character in a performance like this.

11. chucklebuck says:

Man, if this thing has a Greek-style chorus up on scaffolding in the background singing “Hip To Be Square” along with golf club swinging choreography, I want front row seats.

12. KhaiJB says:

“starring Christian Bale where he assumes the identity of a rival Wall Street banker “

I’ve not seen the movie but I have read the book.. did they change it that much? he was always a Wall Street Banker in the book…

• Mr. Stupid says:

Both the book and the movie portray him as a banker, who assumes the identify of _another_ banker. So, you’re both right.

13. JennyCupcakes misses her grandson says:

AHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My heart explodes with joy!

14. thefearofgod says:

Come on people! It was a book before a movie! Read the book and see how much they messed up the movie.