NYU Professor Installs Eye In The Back Of His Head

In a story that makes you do a triple-take to make sure you’re not reading a parody site, a New York college professor had a camera installed into the back of his head.

CNN reports the bizarre augmentation is motivated not by extreme paranoia about spitballs or mid-lecture texting, but the need to make an artistic statement about the prevalence of electronic surveillance. He underwent the operation at a piercing parlor, and his project was commissioned by a museum in Qatar. The camera will take pictures once a minute for a year during his daily activities, and the pictures will become part of an exhibit

He tells CNN:

“This will expose the unspoken conditions we face. A project like this is meant to establish a dialogue about surveillance.”

What computer enhancement would you undergo in the name of art and social progress?

New York professor installs camera in head [CNN]

Comments

1. sp00nix says:

He is borg

2. swarrior216 says:

Couldn’t he just wear a hat with a camera attached to the back of it?

• Consumer David says:

Couldn’t he just not do this stupid experiment.

• TPA says:

He’s a college professor — throw logic and common sense out of the window.

• human_shield says:

It still wouldn’t make sense. If he wants a discussion about cameras in the classrooms, he should put a camera in the classroom. All this does is take photos of the front wall while he teaches…oops, I mean, reads notes while showing a powerpoint slideshow of all the test questions.

• Aesteval says:

Actually the source article indicates that the school is requiring him to cover the camera while teaching as it could run across educational privacy laws and issues. So the photos aren’t supposed to have anything to do with anything inside the classroom.

3. HogwartsProfessor says:

I would have bionic legs. But of course, I couldn’t tell anyone about them, because I would be a super-secret spy for the government.

• ArcanaJ says:

But tragically, your new status as a super-spy would mean an untimely end to your relationship with Steve Austin.

4. SecretShopper: pours out a lil' liquor for the homies Wasp & Otter says:

I would go with an arm cannon mega-man style that way I could blast through hordes of elderly reciept checkers and grope-happy tsa agents

5. redskull says:

I don’t understand why he’s putting it in the BACK of his head. Wouldn’t it make more sense to have it in front, so he’d have a record of where he went and what he looked at? Doesn’t seem like the rear view would be all that interesting.

6. ClaudeKabobbing says:

Thats nothing new. My mother has always eyes in the back of her head.

7. ubermex says:

So it’s basically just hooked through piercings in the scalp. That’s not actually as invasive as some headlines had lead me to believe.

8. GuyGuidoEyesSteveDaveâ„¢ says:

I’d install a camera, retinal projector, eye tracking, and an access port. That way I could take photos of things I see, and be able to access them later. Be great to be able to access something I have read or seen and be able to review it.

• framitz says:

You of course, realize that you described the iphone (or whatever they called it) introduced on Futurama. A great episode making fun of iphone and social networking (twitter).

• Groanan says:

Sounds to me like future lawsuits for copyright infringement!

That said – I’ve been wanting the same thing since I saw G’kar’s removable (and still functional) prosthetic eye on Babylon 5.

9. pikebike says:

I can see this exhibit consisting of nothing buy pictures of people awkwardly staring at this guy thinking why this moron “attached” a large camera to the back of his head.

next.

10. c!tizen says:

Next up, Steve Jobs replaces heart with iPhone 10. States “I wasn’t using it anyway.”

11. Fubish says: I don't know anything about it, but it seems to me... says:

The man is an idiot.

12. rookie says:

I want a usb port, somewhere accessible but unobtrusive, perhaps around the waist area. It would be connected to all aspects of my brain, able to record anything I smelled, tasted, felt, saw, and, the lovely kicker, all that I thought of during the course of my day. All the half-assed poetry that I have never been able to “capture”, and then refine, would be downloadable and user friendly…

I love my brain…

• Tito151 says:

Nothing against your idea. I love it in principle, but I imagine the log of your thoughts would be so expansive… It would be like using the devtool, ProcessMonitor, to save a log of your computer without any filters.
      So my point being, would you ever be able to keep up with such a log of data without naturally making redundancy data (i.e. thinking about the data you were comprehending in the past). In this case, I think it’s good that we do forget some ‘data’ in our brains as a sort of natural garbage collector.

• rookie says:

Spoilsport…

I am now deleting all images of you and all associated thoughts that you have implanted in my database…

• lemortede says:

I want a USB port as well…. I often tell my co-workers that once USB ports are able to be implanted I will be the first in line.

13. Nidoking says:

So can this guy legally use public restrooms or enter other areas where photography is prohibited?

14. human_shield says:

So there’s a museum in Qatar with way too much money on it’s hands.

15. JulesNoctambule says:

I find it unfortunate that ‘art’ translates for too many people as ‘LOOK AT ME while I pretend I’m doing something deep and meaningful’.

16. Joey Strange says:

That guy is neither unique or original. I can easily say that I am a little more weird than most of the consumerist readers here. With that being said, click this link at your own risk http://web.stelarc.org/projects/earonarm/index.html.
    Stelarc has been doing these things for a very long time. In 1997 (almost 14 years ago) he grew an ear from his own adult stem cells (suck it George Bush), inserted a microphone, and then implanted it on his arm. Needless to say, this new guys voodoo is weak sauce. I feel that all he is doing is biting Stelarc’s work but being a little girl about it. If he doesn’t give credit to Stelarc then he is a bitch in my eyes.

• Joey Strange says:

For some reason that link wont work in my comment. I think Consumerist doesn’t like when you link away from this site. Try a copy and paste or go to http://web.stelarc.org then to projects. If you are even mildly interested in cyborgenict research, this guy is worth the hassle of actually typing instead of pasting. Needless to say, I am a huge fan of this guy.

17. Groanan says:

I like how during the interview they imply that this man is going to get laid while having a titanium plate surgically grafted to the back of his head, a camera magnetically attached, and a cable running down and to some sort of power supply / recorder.

18. Razor512 says:

Doing any of this surgically seems like a waste. new technology comes out all the time. if you make something surgical, you reduce your ability to upgrade.