Woman In Wheelchair Strips To Lingerie, Still Gets TSA Patdown

In protest of the enhanced TSA pat-down, a woman arrived at the airport this week wearing only lacy black lingerie and holding her white poodle. She had hoped that if she “had nothing to hide” then she could avoid a pat-down. She failed in this endeavor. Naturally, it was captured by a fellow passenger and uploaded to YouTube.

The woman told The Oklahoman that she felt violated after a TSA pat-down a few weeks ago and had hoped that by arriving scantly clad she could avoid another pat-down. “If it happened anywhere else, it would have been sexual assault,” she said.

No such luck. The TSA said they found traces of nitrates on her clothes and luggage and after an hour of searches and questions they told her to “come back tomorrow.”

She did, again in minimal garb, and passed through security and onto her destination without incident (she put her clothes back on after getting screened).

Remember, if you do not pass through the pat-down screening, you will not fly, even if your cute small dog has more surface area than your clothing.

In bra, panties and wheelchair, woman goes through Oklahoma City airport screening this morning [The Oklahoman via Crimesider] (Thanks to Seth!)

Comments

1. ubermex says:

More proof that the search is designed to punish more than actually find anything. It should never take that long with normal clothes, much less that.

• DanRydell says:

I think you’re confusing “proof” with “assumption”

• Humward says:

Nonsense. This is evidence (aka “proof,” in a non-technical sense) of intent.

The hypothesis was that this search was intended to be punitive rather than investigatory. Is the hypothesis an assumption? Well, duh.

This is evidence supporting the hypothesis.

• Geekybiker says:

I think you’re confusing “assumption” with “evidence”.

• Julia789 says:

Playing Devil’s Advocate a minute – Maybe they were just using the same procedures on everyone, with no special exceptions for people who try to find a way around it?

I’m not condoning intrusive pat-downs, I’m just saying maybe it’s the same pat down and chemical trace for anyone, whether they take off some clothes or not, the formal procedure has to be followed without exception.

Even if they were butt-naked, if tests showed traces of chemcials used in explosive manufacturing, they might need to question the person further and search their carry on luggage further. (Can debate what chemicals are common at another time.)

• mythago says:

Do you have anything other than speculative ‘maybe’ and a wish to be contrary to back that up?

It doesn’t take a freaking hour to swab for nitrates.

• GuyGuidoEyesSteveDaveâ„¢ says:

More proof that people with a bias will find a reason to enforce it/back it up.

Let us remember the “hour” that woman was handcuffed to the chair earlier last month(which was actually not an hour, more like 8 minutes, and she also wasn’t handcuffed), but if we assume it really was an hour, also remember they would have had to search her wheelchair, as a metal chair with lots of tubes could hide many things. So they spent an hour searching and also asking her questions and checking/verifying the answers. Doesn’t seem that long to me, honestly.

• JennQPublic says:

Especially since she tested positive for nitrates. A lot of the anti-pat-down commenters suggest testing more for potential explosives and leaving off patting people down. But what if they test positive? We still shouldn’t pat them down? Or is that no matter the circumstances, mostly nekkid women in wheelchairs deserve a free pass?

This woman is ridiculous, implying that she was ‘sexually assaulted’ by the TSA pat-down previously, but in her victimized state, chose to go through the next screening in lingerie. Mmm-hmmm.

Seriously, can we stop rewarding these attention whores now?!?

• Endless Mike says:

Wow, good job victim blaming. Even if someone is bare naked in front of you, you DO NOT have the right to touch their genitals without their permission.

• Hoss says:

It’s proof that testing security ANYWHERE is not a great idea.

2. TinaBringMeTheAx says:

“Traces of nitrates?”

Snausages?

• Mom says:

The wheelchair had probably been in the stored in the shed with the fertilizer for awhile. I call a stunt. Most people in wheelchairs more arm muscles and less leg muscles that she has.

• dolemite says:

I was thinking that too…she has a lot of nice muscle definition in her legs for someone confined to a wheelchair. I’ll need a few hours of close up personal inspection to be sure though.

• JulesNoctambule says:

My mother’s leg muscles look buff. It’s actually a visual trick; the atrophy somehow gives the appearance of definition. Her arms are quite muscular, though, thanks to years of using a manual wheelchair. Those things are harder to use than they look!

• catastrophegirl chooses not to fly says:

maybe you’re right but as the devil’s advocate, i have to say not all people in wheelchairs have limited muscle tone.
        i have a neurological chronic illness that worsens periodically. sometimes i can walk, sometimes i can’t. when i am able to, i do exercise to ensure my muscles don’t atrophy.

• shanoaravendare says:

You can end up with traces of nitrates on your stuff if you were at a ski resort. A few years back a good friend of mine and her children were detained and searched because they tested positive for traces of nitrates. They finally figured out that the nitrates were from the chemicals they use to treat ski slopes.

They told my friend that even if you don’t come in contact with the slopes, it accumulates on fabric (like carpets) and can be transferred in that way (kinda like the oil from poison ivy).

3. DashTheHand says:

Looks more like one of those Japanese humanoid robots with those facial expressions she has. That or a Realdoll or something equally uncanny valley.

4. Thorin78 says:

She looks robotic.

5. Miss Dev (The Beer Sherpa) says:

“Anyone who trades liberty for security deserves neither liberty nor security” – Benjamin Franklin

• bstewart says:

“America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.” -
      Abraham Lincoln

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

Since we’re quoting:

“The real danger is the gradual erosion of individual liberties through automation, integration, and interconnection of many small, separate record-keeping systems, each of which alone may seem innocuous, even benevolent, and wholly justifiable.”
        – U.S. Privacy Protection Study Commission, 1977

• Murph1908 says:

“Does not Dionysius seem to have made it sufficiently clear that there can be nothing happy for the person over whom some fear always looms?”

-Cicero

• DanRydell says:

You ought to be careful when you put quotes around text. People might think that’s something Ben Franklin actually said. That’s quite different from what he actually said.

• KeithIrwin says:

What he literally wrote in his notes was “They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.” And in a book he published was “Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.”

I agree that he should be more careful with the quotation marks given that he was actually paraphrasing, but clearly the intent of the quote is very much in line with what Franklin said.

• chocobo says:

That’s why I drive 100 mph in residential neighborhoods while drunk and shooting my shotgun in random directions. Screw giving up any liberty for safety! Anyone who obeys anything the police or government have to say is giving in to terrorists!

Good lord I hate that quote so much, and the mindless repeating of it in any news story that involves freedoms of any kind. YOU GIVE UP LIBERTY FOR SAFETY ALL THE FREAKING TIME. And it makes perfect sense to do so.

Look, I hate that America is becoming a police state and treating all of its citizens like criminals with a completely incompetent security “agency” and its invasive new equipment that only exists because Bush’s secretary of state helps run the company that sells them.

It’s a completely retarded scenario that’s absolutely unconstitutional and I honestly thought America was better than that, even with its flaws.

But can we PLEASE stop parroting the “give up liberty for security” nonsense?

• Traveller says:

To my mind, the “enhanced” pat-down falls under unreasonable search and seizure.

Franklin was quoted as saying those famous words in 1775, as shown in the book Memoirs of the Life of Benjamin Franklin, Page 270. He wrote the words as part of his response to a proposal in the Pennsylvania Colonial Government to plead with the King to repeal the Intolerable Acts (Coercive Acts of 1774). In his response he makes brief comments in response to certain articles in the aforementioned proposal. He makes a longer comment about the Boston Port Act, which closed Boston until the tea lost in the Boston Tea Party was paid for. In that comment he mentions that the colonists were wrong in dumping the tea and should pay for it. At the same time he believes the damage done to Boston by the port act should be repaired.

Franklin’s quote was in direct response to the Massachusetts Government Act, which changed the government of Massachusetts to bring it under British control, and the Administration of Justice Act, which allowed the governor of Massachusetts to move trials of royal officials to other colonies or even Great Britain itself.

The quote applies because the Intolerable Acts were seen by the colonists as a violation of their constitutional rights, natural rights, and the colonial charters. The TSA is Great Britain, violating human rights in the name of security.

P.S. Here’s a link to the page from the book mentioned: http://books.google.com/books?id=W2MFAAAAQAAJ&pg=PA270&lpg=PA270t#v=onepage&q&f=false

• 44 in a Row says:

“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.” – Benjamin Franklin

6. APriusAndAGrill says:

this is kinda hot….

7. Thassodar says:

She has a nice body, but she looks kind of like an actually realistic sex bot… She tilts her head at weird angles.

Oh and how did Oklahoma find someone smart enough to build a airport for them?

• kc2idf says:

“Oh and how did Oklahoma find someone smart enough to build a airport for them?”

I think that was uncalled-for.

• diesel54 says:

I don’t want to grammar police you but when you mock the intelligence of a state, you’re asking for it.

“…smart enough to build AN airport”

Even a dumbass Oklahoman like me knows that one.

• Thassodar says:

There are such things as typos, Oklahoman citizen. Please refer to the post-it stuck to your monitor regarding sarcasm for more tips.

• pz says:

I’m less concerned as to how they were able to build an airport, and more surprised at the fact that someone flying an airplane would voluntarily land in Oklahoma.

Did they build it for emergency landings only?

• DH405 says:

And what wonderful place that is immune to criticism do you live in?

• Thassodar says:

Read other comments. Even people who live there jumped in on the joke. I personally know quite a few people from there that don’t care for the state, one of them being my TEXAS Government professor.

• DH405 says:

As someone who has lived in Oklahoma since birth, I find your attitude toward Oklahoma residents to be uninformed and just plain dickish.

Oklahoma has its fair share of uneducated people. So does any other state or country.

Oklahoma is home to amazing communities of creative, intelligent, and wonderful people. The standard of living is very high. The unemployment is low. The cost of living is very low. The people are, for the most part, friendly.

What intellectual utopia do you hail from that allows you to sit so firmly on your high horse?

• Thassodar says:

I hail from the utopia known as The United State of Texas, good sir. It is a rather large place, located to the south of a hillbilly state that, apparently, cannot take a joke.

Lucky enough for us we have doctors here that specialize in stick removal, notable from the anus. Perhaps you should pay a visit to one?

• DH405 says:

So, you saying it’s a joke makes it not offensive? I see BS from assholes insulting my state all the time, and it wears very thin. “It’s a joke” isn’t an excuse. Besides, you’re from Texas.

I’d rather live in Siberia than Dallas.

• JennQPublic says:

Careful with those jokes- the Oklahomans are Taking it Seriously.

8. AllanG54 says:

Hell, even though I don’t work for the TSA I wouldn’t have minded patting her down. Please excuse the sexist remark.

9. theycallmeGinger says:

She was looking for attention and she got it.

This was a red flag for TSA and so they hand-searched her excessively (an hour? I hope she at least got off). It was a sight to see for bystanders, so someone videotaped her. It’s a hell of a story and she’s got a hell of a body, so we all flock to see the video. More attention is paid to TSA’s offensive and ineffectual procedures. Job well done!

• dolemite says:

I read on Gizmodo that she posed for Playboy a few years ago. So…I’m sure she’s fine with the attention!

• SixOfOne says:

Nah, if she got off, then they’d charge *her* for sexual assault. :/

• Everett says:

Let me make sure I understand the stoopid of these comments. She’s trying to *AVOID* being fondled. She does the same thing a passenger did a week or two earlier (the passenger that stripped down to her bikini) in the hopes of avoiding being sexually harassed. And the response is “she had it coming?” That defense was tried with rape (gee your honor, that pretty girl was wearing a short skirt and low cut sweater, she wanted sex). A thought for comments like these: better to be thought a fool, than open your mouth, and remove all doubt. I’m surprised that the ACLU doesn’t get involved since a wheelchair bound person can’t get through the same thing a none wheel chair bound person went through. Nitrates my a$$.

10. RickinStHelen says:

“They found traces of Nitrates on her clothing and luggage”

Nitrates occur naturally, can be found in ground water or in the medicine used for Angina. They found no explosives in her clothing or luggage, nor any weapon or explosive on her or her wheel cahir, yet they told her to come back tomorrow. Do we really believe this was done for security?

• GuyGuidoEyesSteveDaveâ„¢ says:

It was because she missed her flight.

• outlulz says:

She went to the airport in no clothes to be dicked with so they dicked with her. No pun intended.

• mythago says:

Actually, she went to the airport in no clothes to avoid being dicked with. RTFA.

• outlulz says:

You don’t pull a stunt like that without expecting a response. There’s already been reports of people pulling the same thing and being arrested. She clearly wanted them to try something so she can cry foul.

• banndndc says:

nitrates are also in urine. potassium nitrate (salt peter) wasvmade from urine for most of human history.

11. lolBunny says:

Is it just me, or does she look really athletic? My first thought was “is she faking the need for a wheelchair?” I don’t mean to sound insensitive, but just an observation….

• JulesNoctambule says:

She may well be able to use certain parts of her body but not others. My mother is in a wheelchair but is able to work out with her upper body just fine — and besides, a manual wheelchair is a hell of a workout anyway!

• lolBunny says:

Good point! I guess I didn’t think of that.

Side note: Wish my body looked that good ;)

• JulesNoctambule says:

There are plenty of people who use wheelchairs that are vastly more athletic than I am! Don’t know if that speaks more to their determination or to my laziness.

• Etoiles says:

Some people who are perfectly capable of walking short distances use wheelchairs for environments with a *lot* of walking and standing. For example, I’m a healthy-looking 30-ish person and you can’t tell that the cartilage in my left knee is completely destroyed — I need to sit down on the subway and so on because my leg can’t really take much standing.

My mom and my mother-in-law… neither is confined to a wheelchair by any means, but neither one can do hours of standing or walking long distances, and we get wheelchairs for them in airports and so on.

• Julia789 says:

Hey another person in their 30’s with destroyed knee cartilage! I ruined mine running, after *not* running for a year. Unprepared fail.

I’m getting an MRI in 4 weeks (insurance approval issue delay) but the Dr. already said he can tell from the symptoms (horrific crunching noise and pain) that it’s destroyed cartilage. Can’t wait to find out what they suggest as treatment, after the MRI confirms it! Cortisone shot didn’t help. Maybe I’m stuck with it, forever.

Anyhow I can walk OK for a limited amount of time, but stairs, hills, and long distances are not doable. I can understand people with bad knees wanting a wheelchair after a while.

We had a fire alarm go off in my high-rise office two weeks ago, I can’t even begin to describe the pain I was in after going down all those stairs on the “crunchy knee!”

• Etoiles says:

Yeah. Mine’s genetic — I’ve had trouble off and on since I was 11, but I’m a few weeks shy of 30 now and it’s gotten to the point where just getting to the washing machine in the basement is completely agonizing. I can bend it *or* put pressure on it, but both at once has me, on occasion, collapsing onto the floor. And that right there is stairs, running, lifting, etc…

(The medical response is usually “lose 15 more pounds before we’ll look at it,” but I weigh 40 pounds less than I used to years ago and I literally can’t do any exercise now that involves pressure on a bent knee, which rules out a huge number of things, so I’m hoping that in 2011 I’ll be able to get a doctor to actually try stuff. Sigh…)

• Julia789 says:

Sounds like you need to get a second opinion! My surgeon said there were options available, if the damage was great enough. It all depends on what the MRI says. Plus there are new shots available (other than cortisone.) Good luck!

• The cake is a lie! says:

I have a handicap tag that I only use in the winter because of the arthritis and tendonitis in both my knees. Walking from the curb to the door in my office requires the use of a cane and sometimes assistance. The rest of the year I walk funny, but don’t feel the need for a cane or anything else. Standing in long lines, however, regardless of the time of year can cause a lot of problems for me. Especially if I’m about to be sitting down for a couple hours without the opportunity to really get some stretching done.

I agree though that she doesn’t really look all that handicapped, but perhaps the fact she is wearing a thong and is stacked like a Big Mac lead to the decision to not stand around for the world to admire and opt for the wheel chair instead. Or perhaps the TSA gave her the wheel chair as a place to sit and wait while they oogled her. Who knows…. Does it say anywhere that she actually arrived in the airport in a wheelchair?

• Hoss says:

Questioning an attention whore ain’t insensitive.

• daemonaquila says:

It’s both insensitive and ignorant. Many younger people who need wheelchairs don’t have obvious signs of why. She is really built in her upper body BECAUSE she has to use a wheelchair. That takes a hell of a lot of upper body strength, when you’re using a manual one all the time. Also, if a person has lower body issues, they will often try to compensate by strengthening the upper body to help lift and transfer themselves, and otherwise stay independent.

In proportion to the upper body, her legs look smaller and less muscled – unused/underused. That would be expected in someone with a spinal injury or other problem which prevents them from walking much if at all.

• AustinTXProgrammer says:

I’m sure I will get flamed, but that is an airport wheelchair and not an ultralight typically used by the fully wheelchair bound.

Her build does make her appear disabled, but the type of wheelchair makes me think staged. Or at least that she would be able to stand long enough to go through the detector and have the chair manually searched.

I have flown with my wife several times post 911 (although not since the “enhanced” pat downs). They are very thorough in places and completely miss others. There is pocket underneath her chair large enough to hold 4 or 5 handguns. We usually take it off and put it on the belt unasked, but we forgot at IAH… They didn’t notice. The handles to my wife’s wheelchair are removable with quick release pins and could easily conceal anything long and thin, never investigated.

They always separate her from her bags. We keep several tools in the wheelchair pocket and they definitely flagged them once. They asked who’s bag it was, when I pointed mentioned they were my wife’s they let them pass (I presume under the same exception allowed for prosthetics, that was at least going to be our argument if challenged. The wheelchair has required emergency maintenance many times).

The TSA staffers in Minot North Dakota are the most polite and helpful of them all, and also the most thorough. I am sure that only screening passengers for 3 small flights a day has a lot to do with it. We lost my wife’s cell phone and were digging through our bags for 10 minutes, when they offered to rescan them for us and let us know if it was there. They were able to identify each of our digital camera’s, but the phone had fallen under the seat in my uncle’s minivan (and he was out of cell phone contact for an hour while driving back).

• Kimaroo - 100% Pure Natural Kitteh says:

I use a wheelchair at places with a lot of walking, like the airport. I can walk & stand, but when I flew in 2008, the 4 times I went through security, they wouldn’t allow me to walk through the metal detector. I HAD to be pat down & swabbed for bombs every time.

12. Wombatish says:

She felt violated by the pat-down so she ensured any pat-down she received this time would be 8x as scaring.

I’m all for protesting but this is just about 100% the wrong way to do it if you truly felt ‘violated’.

I just… can’t wrap my head around the thought process I guess.

• Wombatish says:

And if she was going the attention route that’s fine (though not something I would personally do) ,,, just, I dunno, the contradiction bothers me.

• INTPLibrarian says:

The amount of control you have makes the difference, I would think. The first one felt violating because it was forced upon her. The second one was on her terms. Even if the actual pat down was identical, they would feel different psychologically.

• mythago says:

She was trying to insure she wouldn’t receive a pat-down, because she was wearing so little clothing a pat-down wouldn’t be necessary. That is, it wouldn’t be necessary for security reasons. It would be necessary to show that the TSA is a joke and the pat-downs have no purpose other than humiliating and punishing travelers.

• Wombatish says:

Part of the patdowns is checking for chemical residue though (the part where they stick their hand in your waistband), and that doesn’t matter in terms of how much clothing you’re wearing. And it really seems like she would have known that from her last pat-down (since they tell you what they’re doing and why).

Plus, again, if she felt violated walking through the airport nearly naked just doesn’t really jive.

I’m simply saying, if she just wanted to protest/show they were punitive, ok. If she really felt violated her actions don’t make much sense to me. Plus I just really don’t see how she thought it would get her out of a patdown, but I can give her a pass on that one.

13. goodpete says:

Don’t be fooled! The weapon is hidden in the dog!!!

14. JulesNoctambule says:

I notice a lot of people are commenting that she holds her head at odd angles — that she’s using a wheelchair just might indicate she may have some neurological issues/damage that could easily account for that.

• The cake is a lie! says:

I think she is in a wheelchair because the TSA didn’t want her standing around. It doesn’t say she arrived in a wheelchair anywhere, so likely it was because she was wearing such skimpy they had her sit down while they decided what to do. A wheelchair was probably the only seat they had handy at the time.

15. Hungry Dog says:

Obviously she is a threat to the system. By simply questioning the system put in place by our gracious Overlords she is undermining the very fabric of our society.

16. sufreak says:

By the way, its been uncovered that this woman posed for Playboy in 1997

17. HalOfBorg says:

I could SWEAR that’s one of those japanese androids. the blank expression 0:45, the ALMOST human-like movements.

18. MamaBug says:

she stared into my soul around 0:45.

*shudder*

19. osiris73 says:
  20. Rose says:

Oh, Oklahoma, why are you such an embarrassing state?

21. whosyer12 says:

Her poodle looks like it could use a trim.

22. seamer says:

Wheelchairs do make life interesting for screeners. You can’t really x-ray one, and it obviously sucks to manually search it. They know they’d never reliably find anything using tried and true methods, so they have to make a best effort at checking anyway.

23. I wumbo. You wumbo. He- she- me... wumbo. Wumbo; Wumboing; We'll have thee wumbo; Wumborama; Wumbology; the study of Wumbo. says:

Are you sure this isn’t the robot that was sign-twirling a few entries back?

24. The Porkchop Express says:

so if they found the nitrates, was she trying to get checked? I mean unless she’s a farmer or making bombs, why nitrate?

25. sonnetfm says:

~40 second mark, I felt like she was trying to kill me with her eyes

26. human_shield says:

Creepy! She looks like a mannequin.

27. Duckula22 says:

Man, she only did this because she loves attention, to show she’s 40+ and hot.

28. PlumeNoir - Thank you? No problem! says:

My God! Her eyes at about 40 seconds in…

I fel the shudder run down my spine as she looked into my soul.

I need to go pray…

29. Clyde Barrow says:

She got her 15 minutes, move along now.

30. AustinTXProgrammer says:

The end of this article quotes her as saying she doesn’t normally use a wheelchair. So that probably means she can get out of her chair long enough to be screened. The airports should have two sets of chairs for these people, one that stays in the secure area. You get out, get screened, sit down in a new one. That way all the inconvenience and extra time is reserved for those that REALLY require a wheelchair. My wife for example.

31. tfcocs says:

Thanks for sharing this. The woman looked fetching; that does not mean that she was not disabled. I have hemiplegia myself, and my first impression is that her leg muscles look a bit atrophied, without healthy muscle tone (my left calf is like that; my right is average sized). I wonder if she was experiencing pain; she had a glazed look about her eyes, with intermittent wincing. Perhaps she was on pain killers?

32. Thassodar says:

OOOH OOOH *hops up and down wildly* When she was a dentist she had her license revoked for giving a kid with heart complications too much anesthetic! Crazy stuff: http://www.azdentalboard.us/ProDetail.asp?LicenseNoConcatenated=D%20%203999

33. Crazytree says:

Is that a mannequin?

34. Kingeryck says:

Why is she looking at the camera like that??? They don’t show them searching her, she’s just sitting there for 72 seconds. Pointless?

35. mydailydrunk says:

Isn’t that Mr.Universe’s bride, Lenore?

36. peebozi says:

A applaud her!

It takes guts to fight for your fourth amendment rights in the face of a punitive system.

…if you’re too afraid to fly then you can always drive…or take the train…or take a boat.

37. pot_roast says:

Oh look, another “HEY EVERYONE! LOOK AT ME! YAAAY!” woman being an attention whore.

Really.. the point has already been made. This is just getting dumb.