5 Weeks As A Container Ship Passenger

For years, adventurous travelers have been able to sail around the world in a luxury cabin for not that much money by renting one onboard container ships. The rise of piracy has made it so a bunch of shipping companies have dropped that option, but you can experience the same thrill vicariously by checking out the dispatches from a Slate reporter who has taken the plunge and got herself in one of these sweet cabins. All is not beauty and mystery, there’s work to be done. Like watching for pirates.

The Siren Song of Channel 16 [Slate]

Comments

1. Laura Northrup says:

Arrrrr.

2. Hungry Dog says:

I see this as a potential idea for growth. Add more passengers and arm them. Then we can label it as a pirate hunting ocean tour, for the most dangerous game is man.

3. Hoss says:

Not one pic of the cabin?? Not one?

4. oldwiz65 says:

Personally I wonder why they don’t start arming the merchant ships? Do you think that pirates would be willing to approach a cargo ship knowing that the ship had 6 automatic miniguns that would blow them and their boat to smithereens?

Maybe they should go back to the old tactic from WW-I where seemingly harmless merchant ships were packing serious heat.

The world’s navies can’t stop the piracy and are too queasy to simply blow them out of the water.

5. psemkl3 says:

I think this would be a great experience! However, they are not as inexpensive as I had hoped. Not sure the wife would be so thrilled either.

6. idx says:

I looked into this a few years ago and they were more expensive than most cruise lines.

7. Jane_Gage says:

The containers contain guano…

8. Chip Skylark of Space says:

Isn’t that a plot device in Cory Doctorow’s latest novel? A guy in California smuggles himself into China in a shipping container.

9. Draw2much says:

I read the original article, what a great find! I found it really interesting and informative. :)

10. ElizabethD says:

At one point I was so phobic of air travel, I seriously looked into this as a way to get to Europe from the East Coast. But the price seemed prohibitive given the lack of amenties and the travel time to destination discouraging.