Microsoft Has Different Instructions Every Time I Call About My Brand-New Broken Xbox

Peter tells Consumerist that in early November, he purchased a new Xbox 360 with Kinect. His new system didn’t waste any time–it started breaking down that very night. Bringing it back to the store wasn’t an option, since he had transferred all of his licenses. His only choice was to contact Microsoft for repairs or a new box.

Nov 4th – I bought a new Xbox 360 with Kinect. It was a Xbox 360S
250GB model. It starts to show signs of breaking that very night.
After I had transferred all my licenses making a system return no an
option anymore.

Nov 6th – I call support. They tell me I’m going to get a box shipped
to me so I can send my Xbox in for repairs.

Nov 16th – I call support asking where my box is. They tell me I’m
not getting a box, I’m actually getting a replacement hard drive. He
said it usually takes around 7-10 business days so wait a little
longer.

Nov 19th – This is the 10th business day and I never got a hard drive.
I call again and they tell me they don’t ship hard drives until I
send them mine first. I talk to a supervisor that says he’d review my
customer support phone calls and call me back the next day with a
resolution.

Nov 20th – I never get a phone call from the supervisor. I talk to
another supervisor and she says they have no record of a phone call
that occurred the previous day. She tells me I need to send in the
hard drive and I have the option of either getting the shipping label
to do so sent to my email or postal mail. I tell her to send to me
through postal because I never received any of their emails.

I write an official complaint letter at this point because I assumed
the nightmare was over.

Nov 26th – I call Xbox support again to confirm that a shipping label
is getting mailed to me. The rep tells me they take 7-9 days. So I
would be receiving it the next week.

Dec 1 – I call Xbox support asking if my label has shipped. The rep
tells me I’m not receiving a label. I need to mail my hard drive in
to a facility that was not once mentioned in the past month. He gives
me the address to the facility and all the questions about why
everyone has lied to me were met with nothing with “I’m sorry but this
is the process”.

So a brand new Xbox has been broken since day 1 and I can’t do
anything but keep calling support and getting a different story
everytime.

Maybe going up the food chain a bit will help. Try calling the secret escalations number for Xbox repairs – have your reference number handy.

Microsoft Support Sucks [The Ko Home]

RELATED:
Reach Tier 3 XBOX Escalations
Executive Email Addresses For XBOX Complaints

Comments

1. Larraque eats babies says:

Why are you dealing with Microsoft instead of the place of purchase? If I buy something and it looks like it’s breaking, I take it back. Licensing rules (transfering licenses) on an xbox can only be done every 12 months, but as long as you play online you can access all your content without a problem.

2. Griking says:

Are you truly unable to transfer your licenses off of the new system in order to return it to the retailer or is it just a pain in the ass to do so? How did you transfer your licenses to the new one in the first place?

Oh well, perhaps they’ll give you a few free months of Live as compensation.

• HazyCloud says:

Xbox.com/DRM

You can transfer your licenses one time per year or if MS replaces your console they do it for you. (They usually don’t, but all it takes is a phone call.)

3. MPD01605 says:

If the hard drive’s fine, just go get a new Xbox, swap it out, then return the broken Xbox with the fresh HDD. Of course at this point he’s probably outside of the return policy but who knows. I had 2 old Xboxes (one RROD’d), and frequently used my hard drive on my friend’s, and had no problems whatsoever.

• MPD01605 says:

And yes maybe he can’t afford to be out $300 temporarily, but it sounds like it would have been much easier than dealing with support for a month.

4. jpdanzig says:

This story reminds me why I got a PS3 instead of an Xbox 360. And the Kinect may be a nifty piece of technology, but to date I’m not hearing that the games made for it are anything special…

• darascon says:

This comment reminds me of why people get banned from this site. The commenting system is nice and all, but to date, I’m just not seeing some that appeal to myself at all.

5. Rocket says:

Microsoft only lets you transfer licences once a year, but I was able to get around this by calling them. I had to transfer licences again 5 months after doing it, I just called them, told them I bought a new XBOX to replace the old one, and they transfered my licences over the phone.

6. damageinc says:

“It starts to show signs of breaking that very night.”

What are signs of breaking? Are you sure they’re not signs of user error?

• hush404 says:

If it were any other console I’d take what you said seriously. With the 360 however… having it die the same day you get it… isn’t something new.

• xjeyne says:

Actually, the only problem I’ve heard of the new ones having is not recognizing the hard drive, but that’s only been 1 system in the I don’t even know how many I’ve sold. I know MS has a bad reputation, but keep in mind Sony’s reputation during the fat PS2 days. I remember having to put scotch tape on my PSOne games to get them to play in the PS2, and various other huge problems with that system.

7. daveSH says:

Sounds like the run-around that I have been getting from Sony in regards to a defective batch of their recordable DVDs.

“Its the process” and “damn the customer” (who needs customers?).

8. roguemarvel says:

Oh Microsoft customer service…how I loath you.

9. Sparkstalker says:
  10. DJRanmaS says:

Peter, dude…

Send an e-mail to khogan@microsoft.com. This guy is one of the managers that oversees Xbox and so forth. Explain EVERYTHING and you’ll have a resolution in 24 hours.

Or you could just return the 360 to the store for a new one and swap the hard drive.