Not Everything At Starbucks Is Full Of Calories

While Starbucks apparently sells something called “coffee,” which has virtually no calories on its own, most customers choose to go for beverages that pile on chocolate and caramel and other calorie-tastic add-ons. Oh — and let’s not forget the muffin or danish they get to go along with their caffeinated sugar bomb.

Over at FitSugar.com, they’ve done a round up of a dozen drinks and foodstuffs you can buy at Starbucks and stay under the 250 calorie line.

Among the items on their list:
* Birthday Cake Mini Doughnut (130 calories and six grams of fat)
* Petite Vanilla Bean Scone (140 calories and five grams of fat)
* Grande Tazo Awake Brewed Tea (0 calories)
* Grande Caramel Macchiato (190 calories and one gram of fat)

See the whole list at FitSugar.com [via StarbucksGossip]

Comments

1. leprofie says:

I buy just coffee. Zero Calories.

2. pecan 3.14159265 says:

You can also get most of the drinks with sugar free syrup or light syrup. My favorite “light syrup” drink is the toffee latte.

• SkokieGuy says:

I tried to find on the site the ingredients of their flavored syrups. (Wanted to know if they are sweetned with HFCS). Couldn’t find anything on the site, and two emails were never answered.

• phobos512 says:

This might depend on location because my local Starbucks has never had anything but sugar free vanilla and sugar free caramel – and remember, sugar free does NOT mean calorie free or even low calorie!

• Michaela says:

True. That’s why it is best to see what brand of syrup they use. As you stand in line (not in the front of the line, but instead as you wait to give them your order), you can quickly pull up the nutrition facts of the syrup and choose if you want it or not.

Personally, I take advantage of the sugar-free chocolate syrup my local Starbucks offers. It has 0 calories, and sure gives my black coffee a punch of flavor!

3. emily1452 says:

Most restauraunts have items that are good for you or aren’t that bad relatively speaking. Americans are trained that bigger is better when it comes to meal size and getting the most for thier dollar, so they might not always pick the healthiest option.

4. FatLynn says:

Interestingly, I went to their website, and the nutrition info is missing for like half the drinks:

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

The frapps all require milk, so select a milk choice and you’ll get more numbers. Without the milk, there isn’t enough data to suggest a count.

• FatLynn says:

Oh, I get it now. Fancy!

I am a soy chai latte drinker myself, but there are plenty of excellent coffee shops around here that make it far better than the ‘bucks.

• Jubes says:

From when I worked there, the frappuccino bases were a powder mixed with water (light and regular), so milk choice is not a factor.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

When did you work there? I’ve never seen a Starbucks frapp that had a powder base.

• Jubes says:

The consumer wouldn’t see it as a powder base, but when the barista makes it, the base comes from a small package that is then mixed with water. You’d most likely see them pouring the base from a colour coded pitcher, one for the coffee base, the creme base and the light base.

5. Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

The article should, but does not, specify that these are the lowest calorie combination options possible. For example, the Macchiato is with fat-free milk, not the standard 2%, and with no whipped cream.

• Jubes says:

Caramel Machiato’s have steamed milk foam, not whipped cream

• phobos512 says:

Well that depends, is it hot, iced, or iced blended?

• Jubes says:

Technically even iced it shouldn’t have whipped cream, but if its blended then it is an entirely different drink. The most similar would be the caramel frappuccino, which can have whipped cream on it.

6. brianary says:

The Egg White, Spinach & Feta Wrap is 280 calories? Noooooooo!

• phobos512 says:

The “wrap” part is what gets you…People have this notion that wraps are healthy but large flour tortillas are just like eating a couple of slices of bread.

• kmw2 says:

That’s fine, if you treat it like a whole meal and not a snack.

7. Mulva says:

Oh hush. I allow myself an occasional sugar bomb (aka salted caramel mocha), I just don’t go bonkers and get one every day or with a pastry as well. And I do go with light or no whip and non-fat milk. I also try to do it on a day when I know I’ll make it to the gym later.

Moderation is the key…

• FatLynn says:

I agree. The whole point of Starbucks, IMO, is to have a treat, so if I wanna suck down 200 calories in my soy chai latte, dammit, I’ll do it!

8. neilb says:

One more darn thing that lists fat but not sugar. Some of us avoid sugars and high carb count foods but don’t avoid good fats (for me, this includes dairy fats).

Unfortunately, reporting in this manner encourages readers to accept that there must be a validity to avoiding fats but not avoiding sugars. I have found this manner of reporting to be popular, but not true or useful.
    It inspires junk like “Icy Caramel” drinks (ex: from Panera) that can be made to be lowfat but have >80 grams of sugar (mainly corn syrup-based).

• denros says:

Yeah, I thought it was pretty well settled by now that cutting sugar is far more effective than fat.

Unfortunately, I expect this trend to continue on for some time because of a simple fact: cutting out fat from items is cheaper than cutting out sugar, especially if you keep using HFCS.

best starbucks low-sugar/carb drinks are espresso macchiato / con pana. be prepared to explain what they are though, as not many people order them – espresso macchiato (unlike its evil caramel stepsister) is espresso with foam, con pana is with a dollop of whipped cream. both very tasty.

• MauriceCallidice says:

What is well settled is cutting calories, or exercising more, or both.

Consume fewer calories than you burn and you will lose weight.

(Conservation of energy for the win!)

9. Tim says:

I prefer the iced tea, either with half the syrup or no syrup.

10. Truthie says:

Those mini vanilla scones are tiny though. You’d be better off getting the oatmeal if they still have it.

11. asok says:

The calorie contents may take somethings out of context in this case. Take the latte
    16oz – Contents 2 shots and milk
    Calories 220

The coffee has about 4 calories.
    The rest is milk. I have not heard much about milk being evil empty extra calories. 13oz is probably a bit much bit it is milk, what many consider to be a healthy food, not sugar.

• phobos512 says:

Calories are still calories – if you consume too many, you will gain weight. 5000 calories of milk or broccoli will just as easily cause you to gain weight as 500 calories of Starbucks, Chili’s, or McDonald’s.

• jabberwockgee says:

Besides 5000 != 500, 5000 calories of broccoli would be 32.4 lbs. of broccoli. I doubt anyone will eat that much in a day.

Big mac, 0.5 lbs., 540 calories, only 4.6 lbs. of food to get to 5000 calories. I doubt anyone will eat more than 9 Big Macs in a day, but add in some fries (500 calories for a large) and a couple large cokes (310 calories each), and you’ll be at 5000 if you have it for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

32 lbs. of broccoli in one day, though? Doubtful.

I guess I’m not sure what your point was….

• Etoiles says:

A 12-oz skim latte is really not that bad for you. It is still calories, and you do have to consider them in your daily nutritional intake, but I know a lot of women (and am, at times, one of them myself) who use their skim morning latte as their necessary dairy for the day. I just consider it to be either half my breakfast, or my morning snack.

12. Nigerian prince looking for business partner says:

I drink a lot of coffee but have never been to Starbucks. Is their coffee dramatically better than what you’d get at Sheetz, WaWa, Dunkin’ Donuts, or any random truck stop or corner diner?

• zomgorly says:

I say stick with what you place you like to get coffee and if you are every wanting to get a $4 latte then try Starbucks. I get Starbucks out of convenience and normally enjoy their bold blends but never Pike coffee they have. Sheetz has ok coffee, its usually tastes its price of 89 cent. I normally get Columbia and offset it with their specialty creamers. I don’t go by Dunkin Donuts but the cup I have had on the road was ok but it was the same price has Starbucks around $2 a medium size cup.

13. kuroshirohaiiro says:

Starbucks is the end of the world…so to speak. There is some crazy diseconomy of scale here. I do not want to pay $3+ for coffee nor do I want to develope diabetes in one sitting. The gross amount of Starbucks alternatives is pleasing though. 7-11 has a less than $2 gigantic coffee. I can settle for pouring it myself if it means not dying 30 years early.

14. LadyTL says:

As long as my health is fine, I am not going to track any calories. For years people have been trying to claim I’m going to die of something because of my weight but my blood pressure, cholesterol, blood sugar and everything else always test out well within healthy ranges. It’s fun to see the peeved look on nurse’s and doctor’s face when that happens though. They so wanted me to be unhealthy so they could trot out that same tired lecture about weight.

15. Boo LaRue says:

So tired of all the Starbucks bashing. Let people enjoy what they want! Have you ever noticed that anything (or anyone) a lot of people love almost always garners a lot of hating? Oprah comes to mind as well. ;)

16. aguacarbonica says:

I get a tall coffee with soy (lactose intolerant) and sweet-n-lo. I know it sounds nasty but it’s actually pretty good and it satisfies my sweet tooth without being too fattening. It can’t be more than 100 calories.