Wisconsin Woman Arrested For Gun Threat In Toys R Us Black Friday Line

Not only did hardcore shoppers have to brave chilling temperatures when they waited in line at a Wisconsin Toys R Us Thursday night for a Black Friday sale, they had to face a woman who cut in line and made threats of going to get a gun.

The Wisconsin State Journal reports the disgruntled shopper ignored hundreds of people who were in line to take a place near the doors, then allegedly threatened to retrieve a gun when the others confronted her. She was arrested for disorderly conduct.

Woman arrested for gun threat in shopping line, police say [Wisconsin State Journal]
(Thanks, Alice!)

Comments

1. carefree dude says:

but did she save three dollars on a toy?

2. Mr. Fix-It says: "Canadian Bacon is best bacon!" says:

Hmm gun-threats… check.

We’re still missing the Black Friday Fistfight and a story of someone being trampled though :(

3. Angus99 says:

No, no, no! You save that for when they want to see your receipt!

4. fsnuffer says:

Glad to see she is in the holiday spirit. Ho-Ho-BLAM!

5. penuspenuspenus says:

It hit national too. Sadly, I know who she is.

6. obits3 says:

And this is why people shouldn’t have guns…

oh wait!

• pot_roast says:

She didn’t even have one to begin with.

• haggis for the soul says:

Hey now. We have a constitutional right to bear imaginary arms.

• dg says:

NO, this is why EVERYONE should have a gun. Hundreds of armed people in line, there won’t be any no-talent ass clowns coming by and cutting in line, and if there is some moron who tries it and threatens to get a gun – well, there’s a 100 people saying “Ummm, no you won’t.”

Instead you have 100 people terrorized by some clown threatening to go get a gun – because those 100 people were prevented from defending themselves by the no-talent ass clowns in their legislature…

Note: WI and IL are the only two States that don’t have some kind of concealed carry law on the books… Both have high crime… States with concealed carry laws have LOW crime…

• MountainCop says:

Actually, WI just passed their concealed carry law. So now it’s only Ill-Annoy where the 2nd A means nothing.

7. SilentAgenger says:

I was near a similar incident on Black Friday (although thankfully with no weapons involved). While I was waiting in line for a 4am Target opening, my wife was in the Kohls line next door for a 3am opening. The Kohls line was very long, and shortly before their opening small groups of people began lingering in the parking lot instead of joining the line. When Kohls finally opened, two huge mistakes emerged on their part: they failed to block entry access from anywhere other than the line, and they stupidly opened two sets of doors instead of only the one set of doors where the lined was formed. The parking lot lingerers rushed the doors upon opening. The people in line were furious. Chaos ensued.

On the other hand, the Target experience was very orderly. They only opened one set of doors. They effectively blocked entry access from every point other than the beginning of the line, plus had a wall of security folks near the door to make sure no one rushed through.

My point: if stores are going to create this type of atmosphere, they darn well better be prepared for it. And more importantly: why can’t certain people just put their selfishness aside and show some respect?

• LadySiren is murdering her kids with HFCS and processed cheese says:

Our Target, which we hit after our hideous wait over at TRU, was also very, very orderly. We got there at 1:15 AM for the 4 AM opening and it was already crowded with people waiting patiently (the people directly in front of me had a pop-up tent). They did the same thing – one side door opened only, metal crowd control barriers, and single-file entry into the store.

We did have about 40 people hanging out in the parking lot who tried to bum rush the line when they opened the door, but the Target folks (backed up by a police officer) shooed them away to the back of the line. As I looked over at the front doors where you’d normally enter the store, I saw a HUGE crowd of disgruntled people looking back at those of us filing in. I resisted the urge to smile and wave at them, LOL.

• Awesome McAwesomeness says:

It really gets to me that people have such a sense of entitlement that they would somehow feel angry that they are expected to follow societal rules and wait their turn. Good for stores like Target for making sure that people are forced to behave. It’s sad that we live in a world where people have to be forced to act civilized.

• palfas says:

I hate these people so much. Usually though they only act like that because no one ever calls them on it. Last year, I just yelled at one of the line cutters and he balked and waited his turn.

• AllanG54 says:

I can’t believe how ridiculous people are to get out at such crazy hours just to be pushed and shoved and bounced around just over the thought of saving a few $. But, I guess that’s the holiday spirit.

8. u1itn0w2day says:

FOR WHAT ?!!!?

Not only do you have frenzied shoppers dying for a deal I’d venture to say alot of ebay resellers are in these lines. Now now, it’s strictly business.

9. Wysguy says:

Is someone messing with the water in Wisconsin lately?

10. LadySiren is murdering her kids with HFCS and processed cheese says:

I’m happy to report we didn’t have this kind of nonsense at the TRU that my crazy girlfriend and I went to on Black Friday. Most people were actually polite, commiserating about the cold and the long wait.

We were about #750 in line or so – the TRU folks were handing out small numbered sheets in intervals of 50, so they could keep track of how many people were waiting. A shopper about 50 people back from us had #800. As we wended our way around the parking lot, I spotted a woman with #1000. From my eyeball-estimation, there were probably about another 500+ people behind her. I was shocked that it was so orderly for so many people packed into one area. No guns, no shoving, no shouting, no fistfights. Yay for civility!

11. smartmuffin says:

Is it really a “gun threat” if the person doesn’t actually have a gun? Am I the only one who considers this merely the adult equivalent of a grade-school kid insisting to the rest of the class that he knows karate and will totally destroy them if they keep making fun of his clothes?

• Why is this on Consumerist? says:

Yes, it’s illegal. It’s the same if you walk into a bank and claim to have a bomb, despite not having one, or rob a store with a toy gun, or go into an airport and announce an intent to hijack a plane.

• smartmuffin says:

But she didn’t claim to have a gun, the threat was “do what I want or I’ll get a gun and come back.” So great, go get it THEN come back and threaten me, but I honestly don’t feel like I’d consider myself threatened by what she actually did, which was essentially pre-theaten people!

• c!tizen says:

I don’t think it was so much about the fear of her coming back with a gun, I think it was more of a “get her out of line and make her miss the sale” that motivated them to call the cops. Not to mention with all of the parents and kids around I’m sure no one really wanted to see if she was crazy enough to actually come back with a gun.

• obits3 says:

Yep, yep. A threat is still a threat even if it is unsubstantiated.

Example: “Suzy, I am going to stab you with my one of a kind samurai spear.”

Even though I do not have a spear, Suzy is still a nervous wreck.

But you don’t have to take my word for it… Reading Rainbow!

• Dave on bass says:

That reminds me of something I’ve wondered occasionally. What is the legal standpoint if you were to just walk in somewhere and *ask* the clerk politely if you can have the money in the register? No robbery involved, if they refuse then ‘Oh, alright then’ and be on your way.

• spamtasticus says:

Actually, its not the same. The difference between some woman telling a few people at the front of a line that “she will go git me a gun” if they don’t chill out and some loon yelling “BOMB!” in a crowded theatre is fundamental. The theatre could erupt into panic and trampling if they believed the loon because they don’t know when the bomb will explode, how it is detonated, what the scope of the destruction would be, etc. So a mad rush for the exits is likely. In this case, the woman claimed that she would walk over to her car/house, pick up a weapon, walk/drive back to the line and then stand there and continue the conversation while armed. Quite different. Still completely moronic but hardly the equivalent.

12. Costner says:

Even without the threat of the gun I’m not so sure there shouldn’t be a law to arrest people who cut in line regardless.

When people stop acting like human beings, they stop deserving to be treated as a human.

13. scoobydoo says:

My Toys R Us was so much fun. Everyone was in a good mood, people were civilized and the whole experience took less than an hour. I was in line at 9:15, about 50th, in the store by 10:05 and had everything I wanted by 10:15. Couldn’t have asked for a better shopping trip.

14. Thassodar says:

“Don’t make me pop the trunk in this bitch!” – Kevin Hart

15. damageinc says:

From the CNN article:

“She added, “I just wanted to get my daughter the toy that she wanted for Christmas, which probably won’t be there when I go today.””

…then get there early and wait in line like everyone else lady.

• BorkBorkBork says:

“As if I didn’t have enough trouble, my son sends me out for some goofy-butt toy. Some fruity robot named Turtle-Man.”

16. Valistia says:

So, I actually work at the Toys R Us where this happened, in Madison. I wasn’t there when this happened, because I worked second shift that day, but seriously…some people just should not be allowed out of the house. Is there really a good enough sale ever on a toy that would cause you to get arrested over it?

Luckily, during my shift, there were no issues. People actually seemed to be enjoying themselves even though we were very busy and there were long lines.

17. MoreThanWYSIWYG says:

I’m sure it was worth it to save a couple dollars on a crappy Chinese made lead and cadmium based toy.

18. gemiwing says:

Doesn’t really surprise me.

I worked in pet retail when I was about 18 and a guy came in and threatened to shoot me, after he went home and got his gun, because we didn’t have the right color dog collar he wanted.

Oh Florida, how I do not miss you.

19. dg says: