When Hope Is Lost, Call Executive Customer Service

Consumerist has been a big proponent of getting people to get their intractable issues with companies solved by going to executive customer service. The Baltimore Sun profiled this phenomenon in a recent column and offers advice on how to do it.

Baltimore Sun writes:

•When you’re unable to resolve a problem via the usual customer service route, try reaching a higher-level company official who can make things right.

•To find phone numbers, check the company directory at Consumerist.com [ed. here it is!]. Or get names of top corporate representatives as well as the address and phone number for the headquarters from a company’s website.

•Ben Popken, managing editor of the Consumerist.com, advises condensing your complaint, proposing a resolution and remembering to be polite, professional and persistent.

Regular readers of this site already know about going to top executives with your problems, but a refresher never hurts and new readers can benefit.

For tough problems, call executive customer service [Baltimore Sun]

Comments

1. dangermike says:

You info is a little short for Asus. I feel like giving them one last shot through an EECB before going through the hassle of suing them for failing to honor their Accidental Damage Warranty.

2. rmorin says:

I used the consumerist advice for Bank of America Executive Costumer Service and had the issue fixed within a couple minutes by a very pleasant women, whereas the local branch told me they couldn’t help me and were pretty rude about it.

3. mike says:

Always remember that you should call your regular customer service folks first and request the issue number. More often than not, the Executive Customer Service can bring up the ticket and get any history associated with it.

The last thing we want is for ECS to become another phone-tree hell because too many people called it for mundane requests.

OTOH, having a lot of people call for mundane requests might tell them that they have a problem…

4. SecretShopper: pours out a lil' liquor for the homies Wasp & Otter says:

the problem is that lots of CSR’s aren’t empowered or don’t care enough to help with anything other than the most common problems, so you have to go through the hassle of an EECB or try to find the ECS to help you out

5. incident man stole my avatar says:

I did this to the Baltimore Sun… for months I was not receiving a complete paper on Sundays and when calling in to request a replacement it wouldn’t show up, then the papers were showing up wet in the cheap bags and not double bagged as the carrier is supposed to do… then incomplete… I got fed up and bombed the Sun and Tribune…. now my paper shows up dry and on my porch… it’s a pity that they still haven’t learned how to deliver a complete paper. Every Sunday when it shows up incomplete, 2 out of 3 weeks, I just send out another e-mail to same list… eventually they’re going to get it right or lose a longtime customer. If it wasn’t for the comped delivery I would have canceled months ago.

6. stevied says:

Sorry.

As a small business owner I am quite clear in the instructions to my employees….

1) Business Policies are clearly stated and will be followed.

2) Violation of Business Policies are grounds for immediate termination.

3) If the customer, for any reason {real, make believe or otherwise} feels the need to by pass the normal customer service chain of command then all employees involved, both entry level and managers, will be terminated for cause”.

Business would be well advised to follow my business plan. Employees know their jobs and do their jobs. There are no needs for EECB or internet whining. And when the whining does take place the employees know they will loose their jobs as a result.

• calchip says:

You, sir or madam, are a Class-A bitch who has no clue about customer service OR how to keep happy employees, which make happy customers.

I hope some employee whom you terminate because a customer went over his or her head files a wrongful termination lawsuit and takes you and your crappy company to the cleaners.

7. in2insight says:

Good advise, for sure.
    But what can you do when you send an emails to the CEO and the person who call you in return from the regional ECS really can’t do anything to fix the issue?
    Verizon wireless does not have the ability to talk to an operator at the NJ corporate office, so all you can do is email…
    (The issue, for what it is worth, has to do with lack of coverage where I live, VW has established that their service here is marginal, but they only solution they have is for me to buy their network extender…)
    I am more of less “tied” to them due to my employer.

8. brownhb says:

We are trying to do this with Bally’s (I know, I know, we were dumb). But they know everyone hates them, and I can’t find good contact info or names for the higher ups. Any advice?

9. GJCATL says:

What do you do when Executive Customer Service causes more issues than they solve? I recently went through a tough time with Dell (I have been a long-time, satisfied customer). I followed the path to do an EECB, which worked, but the Executive CS reps only made the situation more confusing and refuse to let me talk to anyone above them – so they are both the gatekeepers and troublemakers in the situation. I tried their Twitter account, but the Twitter rep told me that Exec CS is above him.

Sometimes there really is no way to resolve a situation…

• calchip says:

Find an actual executive.

I had some asshole at Sprint “executive services” claim he had no boss, no supervisor, and that the chairman of Sprint did his employee review (never mind the fact that the “executive services” person worked in a call center 2000 miles from where the chairman was.)

I managed to get the actual personal assistant of the chairperson, and basically said “Sorry to bother you. I’m about to file a small claims lawsuit and personally serve your boss at his home because some joker in exec customer relations told me your boss is the only person higher than him and he’s not solving my problem. I’m figuring you don’t want that to happen and can get somebody to solve this for me.” 10 minutes later I had the “nonexistent” supervisor of the exec services person falling all over herself to fix my problem. I don’t think that exec services person is there any more.

10. GJCATL says:

Sometimes there really is no way to resolve a situation…

11. GJCATL says:

Sometimes there really is no way to resolve a situation…