Cop Threatens To Arrest Guy For Refusing To Show Receipt At Best Buy

Mark used a gift card to buy a couple DVDs at a Florida Best Buy, then walked out the door without showing his receipt to the employee at the door. For this “crime,” a sheriff’s deputy stopped Mark and threatened to arrest him if he didn’t go back and let an employee check his receipt.

He writes:

After I exited the store and was in the parking lot, walking towards my car, I heard someone start yelling, in a stern and urgent voice “SIR! SIR!” I heard quick footsteps behind me and turned around. It was a (sheriff’s deputy). He told me that Best Buy employees needed to see my receipt. I responded that I’d left the store, my business with them was concluded, and that they had no right to demand to see my receipt. The officer said that it was store policy. Regardless of store policy, I said, they still had no right to take or search my possessions. He asked me why I was being difficult. I pointed out that it was an imposition upon me to be chased down and detained in the parking lot and made to hand my property over to a third party, something which they had no authority to demand. The officer said that while they didn’t have the authority, *he* did have the authority. He continued, threatening me with arrest, “Go back and show them the receipt, or go to jail. Those are your options.”

I asked him why he didn’t just take the receipt from me, if they had the right to see the receipt. “I’m not going to touch your property,” he replied. I told him that I ultimately didn’t care about the receipt itself — it wasn’t important to me — but that I objected to their demand that they detain me and inspect it. The officer suggested that he take the receipt back to them so that they could “mark it.” I didn’t resist (I was there with my wife and infant son — I would have been in the dog house if I got arrested), so he took the receipt out of my hand, and walked back across the parking lot to the store. He returned a minute later, and silently handed me the receipt. I asked for his card. He turned around and walked away, replying “I don’t have to give you my card” while walking away.

Mark says the employee didn’t even check his bag, but simply grabbed the receipt, highlighted the phrase “keep your receipt” on the piece of paper.

A reminder: With rare exceptions, unless you sign a membership agreement for a retailer promising that you’ll subject yourself to receipt checks, you’re not obligated to stop and whip it out.

Comments

1. madmallard says:

As an inventory procedure, i don’t have a problem with the retailer asking to see such a thing.

Them hiring a cop to threaten people with specious legal claims, that singes the short hairs.

• BannedInBrittan says:

who said they hired him? It’s entirely possible that the police officer was there shopping or was routinely stopping by. I know many police officers which will swing by local businesses during their rounds and just check on how things are going. I even know many places give police officers discounts while they eat in their establishment for instance.

• madmallard says:

Granted, it doesn’t say. I do know that in high volume periods certain stores with high shoplifting risk hire local cops in my state.

• Leksi Wit says:

I avoid Best Buy like the plague it is. Really, if someone were to gift me a gift card to any big box retailer I would have to use every last bit of restraint not to slice their throat with it. This is why I do most of my shopping online. I mean DVDs? You can totally get deals on that from the comfort of your desk chair.

So what did the OP expect? Best Buy has been checking receipts for years now. Is it right? No, but his actions accomplish nothing. Are people who already shop at BB going to all of a sudden become incensed and stop shopping at BB as a result of this story? Yeah, not likely.

• Mark Jaquith says:

I’ve had several people tell me they’re not going to shop there in response to this incident. But that’s not my aim. Ultimately, I want to educate consumers so they know that they don’t have to put up with rude receipt checkers who act like bouncers. And I want store to change their training so that receipt checkers know that if people opt out (or in my case, if the receipt checker was away from their post), they shouldn’t shout after people or try to have them detained.

• Griking says:

Rude receipt checkers?

In my experiences the receipt checkers are generally pretty polite until they get a customer with an axe to grind or just wants to be difficult.

• Doubts42 says:

The entire concept of a receipt checker is rude. It is an accusation of theft.
            How do you politely say “prove you didn’t steal that”

• ccooney says:

So what? That doesn’t give them the right to demand your receipt, and certainly not to back it up with force.

• Admiral_John says:

Is this where I pop in and say “People buy stuff at Best Buy? I always thought they were just a showroom for Newegg.”

• Hooray4Zoidberg says:

No you want go a few comments down for that. Typically first replies are reserved for the “Just show them your receipt and stop making it difficult on everyone.” or “If you’re not doing anything wrong you have nothing to worry about” posts.

• Griking says:

Geez, they may as well just lock the thread since we already know what all of the posts are going to be about.

In all honesty I really don’t even see the point of post like these. All they ever really accomplish is to divide the readers into two groups of people. One side who feels that the OP was just a passive aggressive asshat (my opinion) and another side that defends the OP’s right to be a passive aggressive asshat.

• Dre' says:

Inventory procedure? That’s what registers, UPC symbols & computers are for. Welcome to 2010, Rip Van Winkle.

2. backinpgh says:

So technically he could have had a receipt for three DVDs but had an iPod or a portable hard drive in the bag at the end of the day, so the officer and the employee really didn’t even prove their point here.

• backbroken says:

Yes, they proved their point. They pissed the farthest because in the end, they got the customer to turn over the receipt. It was never about determining if the customer shoplifted an item…it was about a customer who didn’t follow the rules of their little fiefdom.

3. Wang_Chung_Tonight says:

way to rage against the machine for nothing, dude

• SecretShopper: pours out a lil' liquor for the homies Wasp & Otter says:

TNTP, he didn’t have to show them the reciept because thats the law

• jkinatl2 says:

If you wait until it is “something,” it’s way too late.

• jbandsma says:

If you don’t stand up against the little things, you’ll never have the ability to stand up against the big things.

• human_shield says:

How many rights should we have trampled before we do something about it?

• Hoss says:

There seems to be a rewards program on this site for people that make an arse out of themselves over this nonsense.

If a cop asked for a receipt for stuff in your bag after he stopped you for a dead headlamp, then raise hell

• Myotheralt says:

Cops stop you for headlights out? Then why do I still see so many one eyed cars?

• DH405 says:

If a cop stops you for a criminal violation, he/she has the right to arrest you for the crime and then do a “search subsequent to a legal arrest” of your car. So, in that case the officer would have MORE right to concern him/herself with the contents of your sack.

4. Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

I’ve really gotten jaded by the police – and this is why. They seem to be about as clueless about the full scope of the law as the general populace.

• shepd says:

Yup. Yesterday had a discussion with the police because some jerk threatened to “meet me” outside the store after having argued with me over his son’s lack of discipline. I had mentioned to him that that is common assault, and the police said that since he never touched me, he hadn’t assaulted me.

I just wanted to leave, so I didn’t take it further, but just plain hitting is battery, assault is the *threat* of violence (including hitting, if that takes place, but hitting is NOT required), and a police officer should damn well know something *that* basic.

Since some don’t believe that to be the case, here’s a cite before being requested:

And just threatening someone with words still counts as assault in UK based common law countries:

Most cops are good guys even if they don’t get it, though. The cop never hassled me and understood I just wanted to leave without having some stupid angry guy go ballistic on me on the way out of the place. I left and that’s that. I noticed when I was leaving the cops were having a somewhat heated discussion with the guy, so beats me, maybe he ended up in the cruiser to cool off for a bit.

• AustinTXProgrammer says:

Many years ago while I was asaulted as I got off a school bus. They ran up and gave me one REALLY hard shove but I was able to avoid falling on my face (My feet were at sprint speed to stay under me). They started to circle me but I took off running, and fortunately got through a gate before they could catch me.

When I filed a complaint it was either assault by threat or contact, both class C misdemeanors. The Police generally won’t arrest for those as they are only punishable by a fine. There must be an injury before the law gets involved.

• Tomas says:

Depends on local law, but for example around here (University Place, WA) an officer generally has to actually SEE most misdemeanors to arrest for them – they can’t just take someone’s word for it, they need proof of some sort.

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

So what’s the point of their existence at all? The chances an officer is present when you are victimized is laughable. Might as well carry around a tazer or gun and just tase or flash anyone who gets in your face and walk away. If no officer sees it, apparently nothing will happen to you.

• JennQPublic says:

When a former coworker assaulted me (she wanted to fight me, but she’s half my size, so I politely declined) the police told me I could press charges if I wanted to, but without a police witness, it was unlikely she would be convicted, and if she was not convicted, she could sue me after the fact.

I decided it wasn’t worth the drama and just got a restraining order (which was granted after a trial).

• Bill610 says:

Wow, awesome that the cop never “hassled” you, even though you imposed on him by asking him to, you know, do his job.

It is sad that our expectations for police have become so low that this makes him a good guy.

5. FilthyHarry says:

Failing to obey an officer would get you arrested, so definitely comply to with the police. However afterward, get a lawyer and sue the city for harassment. The point being that the store’s policy is not the law and the police have no business threatening to arrest you.

• Sparty999 says:

come on man… really?

• FilthyHarry says:

Stand up for your rights or lose em. If a cop wants to unlawfully detain me, they’re gonna pay.

• Boberto says:

Yeah, right.
          Post 9-11, cops can pretty much do whatever the fuck they want. They can arrest you for not showing your receipt, and no one will care.
          You’ll spend a night or day in jail. The cops will fuck with you while you’re in there. And in the end there will be nothing you can do about it. All your calls to lawyers will go unanswered. Trying to sue them in court yourself will be an act of self flagellation.

Seriously, google “adrian schoolcraft” and read what he tried to stop, and what they put him through.
          I totally agree with your right to simply exit the store and not be hassled. I bristle every time I’m asked for a receipt, go through airport security, have my car stopped at random checkpoints, etc.

I’ve learned to live with the fact that we don’t live in a free country anymore. And that the country we live in, is like that of the third world.

Our irrational fear of crime, drugs, terrorism has given license to America’s new breed of terror: Ourselves, our Police, our government.
          Thank god we’re safe.

• Gulliver says:

That is the dumbest thing ever. Please tell me your damages? Are you MENTALLY DISTRAUGHT? Are you going to bill for the 30 seconds of TIME. Show the god damned receipt and shut your mouth.If you walk onto MY property, and it says you must show receipt to purchase from MY business when you leave. THEN SHOW YOUR RECEIPT. Otherwise, I do not want you in my business. GO AWAY. Do not come back. Go ahead sue me. You will lose and the judge will laugh at you. I am under no obligation to sell you anything. YOU are under the obligation to follow MY rules on MY property.

• ubermex says:

Are you a troll or an idiot?

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

The judge will not laugh at you, since he has a better sense of the law than you or the officer clearly does.

No where in any federal or state law does it say that you must show your receipt to a retailer, unless you waive that right as part of a contract you sign to join a club (see: Costco, Sam’s Club).

• Jimmy60 says:

And even then not showing your receipt would be a contract violation not an illegal act. The most a cop could do point that out to the parties involved and keep the peace.

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

That’s my point, if the officer arrested you for disobeying his illegal command. The judge would see that and award you the convinction for harrassment.

• FilthyHarry says:

I’m not billing. I’d sue the city/state for violating my rights if a police officer illegally detained me.

Just because you don’t care about protecting your rights doesn’t make me crazy for wanting to protect mine.

Also, what you seem to be saying is that any business can put up a sign and it has the force of law? That’s ridiculous. Stand up for yourself.

• gtrgod01 says:

are you really that big of a moron? or just a troll? Posting a sign is meaningless and does not in any way mean a person is “obligated” to abide by what it says unless it’s an actual law or a contract both parties AGREED to abide (Sam’s club etc…). Sure they can refuse your business for this “store policy”, but not sure how that’s possible AFTER they take your money. If they want to refuse his business shouldn’t it happen BEFORE he checks out?

Maybe Best Buy should have each cashier ask “If i sell you this then you agree to have your receipt checked at the door”. Those who say NO get refused service, no sale, nothing to check. That might end this show your receipt stuff….

• cardigan says:

I am ANGRY at the INTERNET. Feel my RAGE as I TYPE IN ALL CAPS to EMPHASIZE how ANGRY I AM.

• HalOfBorg says:

If the store had a policy/put up a sign that said “Before leaving you must show an associate your junk and/or breasts.” – would that be OK with you? How long would it take your wife to flash a BB clerk?

To paraphrase:

Are you going to bill for the 30 seconds of TIME. Show the god damned body part and shut your mouth.

• Geekybiker says:

You’re partially right. Without a contract, a businesses sole remedy when you don’t show a receipt is to ban you from the store. They can then have you arrested for trespass. However their policies don’t have the weight of law, thank god.

• Twonkey says:

Even as a manager, you’d be the peon of Best Buy corporate. It’s not your property. And I’m sure that if the people who own your lunatic ass got wind of the fact that you’re costing them business by throwing your weight around over such a trivial matter, they would can you so fast your ignorant head wouldn’t stop spinning until the second coming of Christ.

So no, unless it’s a contractual condition of being able to shop at your store, I will show you my receipt if I chose to, and if I don’t, then there’s nothing much you can do about it besides accept that you have no authority over me and move on with your pathetic life.

• Bye says:

Dude. You capitalize like a teapartier.

• JiminyChristmas says:

No, the dumbest thing ever is your comment.

Once the merchandise is paid for at the register it is the property of the buyer and no store employee is entitled to search your property regardless of “store policy”. You’re obviously into your property rights, so why are you so complaisant about waiving them so someone can paw through your stuff when they have no right to do so?

On the topic of rights, the real damages here are the violation of the OP’s Constitutional rights by the state trooper. To paraphrase the 4th Amendment; people have the right to be secure in their persons and effects against unreasonable searches but upon probable cause. The trooper ordered the OP to perform an action he had no legal right to compel. He also threatened him with arrest when he had no basis to believe an underlying crime had been committed. One of the most basic tenets of personal freedom is the right to be free from arbitrary and unlawful interference in one’s affairs by the authorities.

• camman68 says:

Maybe I missed it. Where does it say ANYWHERE on BestBuy property that I have to show you my receipt?

(your quote..”and it says you must show receipt to purchase from MY business when you leave.”

Additionally, even if your property says”You must submit to a body cavity search in order to buy from me”, that doesn’t mean I have to do that. Just because you say something doesn’t mean it’s legal.

• Shadowfax says:

It doesn’t. Sergeant Major Moron here just wants to yell at someone, and he thinks it’ll distinguish him to yell at people who actually know the law.

BTW, even if it said that, they still wouldn’t have the right unless you specifically signed a contract agreeing to it. After all (Hey Sarge – Pay attention!) if I put up a sign in my store saying “I reserve the right to kill any customer I choose,” I’d still go to jail if I shot one.

• runswithscissors says:

1) You sound like a dangerously insane person. The kind I’ll end up reading about with quotes from your neighbors.

2) Your “rules” don’t give you carte blanche to break the law. You can’t invite people onto your property (“Come see my flower garden”) and then punch them in the face once they are there (“THESE ARE MY RULES! ALL OUTSIDERS GET PUNCHED IN THE FACE!”).

• Difdi says:

And once I pay you my money in exchange for your merchandise, that merchandise becomes MY property. MY private property. You are obligated to respect my wishes when dealing with MY private property. The fact that I am standing on your private property does not alter my own property rights.

• erratapage says:

Where does “it” say that you have to show a receipt? I’ve never seen such a sign in a Best Buy.

• mowz says:

Obvious troll is obvious.

• Dre' says:

You’re an idiot & have no clue what you are talking about.

• Alvis says:

Isn’t it only failure to obey /a lawful order/?

• FilthyHarry says:

yes, but that won’t get resolved until you get to court. At the time you’ll just be arrested. Telling the cop “I don’t have to obey that order” probably won’t cut it, since that cop is the one who gave you the order.

• Difdi says:

Why would failure to comply with an illegal order be itself illegal?

6. peebozi says:

Protecting corporate profits…nothing to see here. The guy should have got a nice wack-of-the-stick from this agent of the state to show the rest of you “4th amendment hippies” who’s really in charge.

We should all be thankful that this sheriff isn’t a TSA agent.

• DragonThermo says:

That’s a good point. If you think that being stopped by an off-duty police officer working for Best Buy is bad, if it had been an off-duty TSA screener, they’d have groped the OP’s junk to look for more receipts and stolen merchandise.

7. JMH says:

Anyone else see the irony in this guy saying “I didn’t resist” after all the fussing he did before that?

8. Macgyver says:

dn’t knw wh ppl ct lk dchbgs, jst shw yr dmn rcpt, t nl tks fw scnds.

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

I have a Troll in my sights.

• bigdirty says:

It’s called the 4th Amendment to the US Constitution.

• MamaBug says:

To a cop? *after* leaving the store and completing your transaction? Once the property is legally yours?
      Hate to snowball this, but next you aren’t going to be fussing when they show up at your door asking for your receipt.

• Kitamura says:

I don’t have a problem showing a receipt if there’s no lineup, but if they have a line going that’s like 10 people deep, then I see no reason why I should have to wait for them to process that whole line if I have no legal obligation to do so in the first place.

I used to work retail and the policy for my workplace was if they trigger the alarms, ask if they would like to show their receipt to have the security tag on the product deactivated. If they refuse, don’t hassle them further about it. If they’re actually stealing something, that’s why the store has loss prevention officers. If they aren’t stealing anything, well, it’s their call if they want to set off all the alarms in every store they walk into.

• greggen says:

I dont know why douche bags are so willing to give up others rights.
      The receipt check can be quick, sometimes a long line. But in any matter, once you pay for something it is yours. In most stores, there is no merchandise that could be stolen between the register and the door.

Bend over and spread em all you want, just keep it to yourself and dont demand that others do the same.

• Macgyver says:

“It is not the customers responsibility to be searched because a store does not trust its cashiers. It is not legal to search customers without their agreement.”

• LandruBek says:

Um, that sounds like a search to me, and not just to me:

• the activity of looking thoroughly in order to find something or someone;
          • try to locate or discover, or try to establish the existence of;
          • an investigation seeking answers.

• skylar.sutton says:

“Well, they aren’t searching you, they checking the bag to make sure the items match up to the receipt.”

You sir, have epic failed….

SEARCH – transitive verb

1. to look into or over carefully or thoroughly in an effort to find or discover something: as
          a) to examine in seeking something
          b) to look through or explore by inspecting possible places of concealment or investigating suspicious circumstances
          c) to read thoroughly : check; especially : to examine a public record or register for information about
          d) to examine for articles concealed on the person
          e) to look at as if to discover or penetrate intention or nature

• mac-phisto says:

could you please bend over for a cavity check? it’s not a search – i’m just checking to make sure there’s nothing hidden in your anus.

• obits3 says:

Legally, those items in your bag are “you” in the 4th amendment:

“The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, PAPERS, and EFFECTS, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated…”

“Unless otherwise explicitly agreed title passes to the buyer at the time and place at which the seller completes his performance with reference to the physical delivery of the goods, despite any reservation of a security interest and even though a document of title is to be delivered at a different time or place; and in particular and despite any reservation of a security interest by the bill of lading” U.C.C. – ARTICLE 2 – SALES 401(2)

Once you have taken physical delivery of the goods, they are your goods and are protected by the 4th Amendment. Notice, you don’t even need “a document of title” like a receipt.

• mindwarpusa says:

The key word is “unreasonable” it is not unreasonable for a company to check to see if you have a receipt if you are walking out of the door carrying merch. However more than a glance through the items then becomes unreasonable hence why part of lp’s training it has them only doing a quick glance unless they suspect you of shoplifting. Also if best buy posted a visible sign near the entrance stating all persons entering this property are subject to search than guess what they can. How do you think stadiums can get away with it?

• Zowzers says:

The 4th amendment does not apply in door checking incidents. So arguing about it is irrelevant. The only time the 4th amendment comes in to play would be if an officer of the law forced you to comply or searched you them selves.

What is relevant is the mis-belief that a private entity has the right to search you. Which they absolutely do not legally have.

• erratapage says:

The cop is threatening an arrest. That’s government action, and therefore the fourth amendment applies. Dude.

• Difdi says:

The reason the 4th amendment does not apply to store employees, is because store employees have zero authority to compel a search, not because store employees can search anyone they want whenever they want. A store employee who does so anyway is guilty of at least one misdemeanor, and probably several misdemeanors and felonies.

• Bill610 says:

I believe that, even in cases involving law enforcement, the search would only be “reasonable” if there was a reasonable suspicion that the person to be searched had illegally concealed something. It’s not “reasonable” simply because of a generalized suspicion. It has to be specific to the individual. Simply saying, “Gosh, people steal stuff from my store, and since you’re leaving my store you might have stolen something” doesn’t cut it.

• Difdi says:

Wrong. A reasonable search would be one stemming from a store employee directly witnessing a customer stuffing an unpaid-for item into their bag and walking out with it. Searching the bag for the stolen item is reasonable. Searching bags in hopes of finding a stolen item at random is not reasonable.

Would you argue that it is reasonable for a customer to walk into an employees-only area and begin inspecting the merchandise there to determine if it might be stolen from the wholesaler? A customer has equal legal standing to do this, as a store does to search every customer’s possessions.

• partofme says:

Stadiums can get away with it because you haven’t yet completed the transaction. They still have the ability to refuse service… but I can imagine that they might be compelled to give a refund. It may be hard to convince a judge that you bought the ticket completely unaware that the search was a prerequisite to entry, but it’s possible. You can make tons of rules for people before they enter your property; they have the right to turn around and walk away. The first chance for a consumer to refuse a receipt check is after the transaction, in which case there’s nothing they can do. If they require a signature agreeing to a receipt check when entering (or even right before the transaction) they could probably get away with it.

• Bye says:

If you’re playing the semantics game this early, you must understand that you are incorrect overall.

But please – do go on about what you know of douchebags.

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

My receipt is my property. Try again.

• Difdi says:

Which is a search of the customer’s private property. Your logic fails, try again.

• 4thMeal says:

Based on your other posts Macgyver, I can tell two things about you:

1. You like calling people variations of “douche”.
      2. You don’t care about your civil liberties.

So other than “douches” what do you care about?

• Hoss says:

He’d have to hand over his DNA profile which would prove he got no idea what social injustice is really like

• cyberpenguin says:

Macgyver’s right.

All the whiners should just shut up and show their receipts.

What did Jefferson, Washington, Franklin, Adams, et. al. know about the Constitution and rights???

• runswithscissors says:

This has to be a persona you do on the internet. No one blames the OP 100% of the time in real life. Plus your comment here is exactly the prototypical receipt-checking story reply.

Admit it, it’s all an Andy Kauffmanesque character, right?

• minjche says:

Don’t feed the troll, folks. Just pass this one by.

9. MDSasquatch says:

“Hello 911, I was just illegally detained by an officer outside Best Buy, please send assistance”

• LandruBek says:

That would never work. Cops look out for each other.

• jason in boston says:

Then have the Sheriff on speed-dial. Or the State Police.

• Shadowfax says:

They’re still cops. It still won’t work. You need a judge who’s not in bed with the cops (That, too, can be hard to find) and the media to win this one.

• hansolo247 says:

in Super Troopers, the staties and the city police were enemies.

Seems real enough to me that it would apply elsewhere.

• perruptor says:

Generally speaking, trying to apply wisdom you’ve gained watching TV or movies to real-life situations is not going to turn out well. To a LEO, you are the ‘other’. Another LEO is not, at least not to the same extent.

10. jason in boston says:

Come on Citizens. Just show your damn papers.

Also, the ratios of chocolate have been increased from 30 grams to 20.

11. Gorbachev says:

Oh, the irony.

12. Ilovegnomes says:

What I don’t get is if it is so important to put that yellow line through your receipt, why don’t they have the cashier do it, instead of some other person by the door?

• Ihaveasmartpuppy says:

Really. Why even ask to see the receipt, didn’t the cashier see it already?

• Kevin411 says:

I think I’ve figured out their real motivations here. It’s not just to check through every small bag, but twofold:

1. To have a routine in place so that they have a “reason” to more closely examine someone they may suspect is stealing, or just carrying unbagged merchandise for a double-check,
        2. To mark the receipt as having left the store so that one can’t come back 5 minutes later after carrying a TV to their car, pick up another of the same model, and walk out with it and their receipt. A marked receipt would warrant further checking.

I’m not defending this, just putting out there what I think they are really checking receipts for.

13. MamaBug says:

Seems like this guy took the correct route. He didn’t refuse at the exit to show his receipt; it seems BBY forgot to check it, then decided to hunt him down (with a cop no less). All for nothing – the receipt checking did nothing to prove that he didn’t take three ipods or something.

Really, what’s the point?

14. DubyaT says:

On principle he should have returned all of the items for a full refund.

15. sonnyjitsu says:

Yeah… just show your man receipt. Then next year it will be, “yeah just show them the label on your underwear,” then “yeah, just go through the full body scanners at best buy to make sure you didn’t stuff a DSLR camera in your shorts,” then “yeah, why are you causing problems, just do the standard strip down.”

For anyone who says “don’t be difficult, just go along and do what the machine asks of you” or some variation of that: Fuck you.

16. Sparty999 says:

Get over yourself!

I always wonder who these people are who show such little respect for police officers. When I watch Law & Order, I always say “nobody talks to cops like that!”… Guess they do. idiots.

• AI says:

Why would I respect someone that is misusing their authority to issue unlawful orders?

Here, allow me to try:

Sparty999, I order you to show me the receipt for the shoes you are wearing. If you do not I will lock you in my closet for 12 hours before telling you that you are free to go.

Do you respect me now?

• SecretShopper: pours out a lil' liquor for the homies Wasp & Otter says:

how was he not showing respect for the police? was it by stating his rights?

• deejmer says:

You are SO wrong. You have it 100% backwards. The police officer (as is typical) didn’t respect the citizen and violated the citizens’ rights. Judging by your comments on this thread, you love drinking whatever koolaid a corporation, policing entity or your government tells you to do. Let me know how you like the Gulag labor camps once you agree to go….you retarded sheep.

• gparlett says:

I’m always amazed when police officers show no respect for the law.

• Dre' says:

Another brilliant poster with no clue how the law works. Way to go genius!

17. MrEvil says:

You’re doing it wrong:

1) Get arrested wrongfully
    2) Sue Best Buy and the county
    3) ????????
    4) PROFIT!

I hate to be an advocate for this sort of stuff in our age of increasing litigiousness. However, it’s the only way to keep the fuckers in-line. Best Buy’s store policy is not the law, their rights begin at and end with their right to refuse service to you.

However, maybe to save their asses they should have a nice sign on the front door that reads: “By proceeding beyond this point you give consent for Best Buy to inspect any and all bags and personal items upon entering and exiting the store.” Haven’t seen one yet. But it would be worth the $50/store to have it put up.

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

Those signs probably don’t exist because BBY doesn’t have that right.

• Zowzers says:

the courts have held time and time again that a Posted sign is not an agreed upon contract. AKA you have no obligation to comply with company policy just because they posted a sign.

• emax4 says:

Thank you. I put down the same thing before I read your post. Great minds think alike!

18. MountainRooster says:

Seems to me the real crime is that off duty cops are allowed to work security wearing city owned uniforms…. (yes there is probably some small town somewhere where cops buy their own uniforms, but for the most part the cities buy the uniforms)

• Maximus Pectoralis says:

How can anyone survive on just $60/hr without a second job?!

• SecretShopper: pours out a lil' liquor for the homies Wasp & Otter says:

hey man they have to put food on the table for their kids, who eat $777 burgers for breakfast, lunch, and dinner

• Evil_Otto would rather pay taxes than make someone else rich says:

1) Cite your source for that number.
        2) Ever try living in New York City? Boston? LA? San Francisco? $120k(give or take) doesn’t go very far if you have kids and want to live in a safer neighborhood. (And by that I mean a neighborhood with a lower crime rate. I’m not saying anything about racial makeup, that would make me a racist jerk.)

• Kristoffer says:

Where in the world do police officers make 60 bucks an hour? Let me know cause I know some folks that would love to work there.

• 420greg says:

Here is Orlando, you have to pay off duty cops about $27 an hour. $2 of that goes to the city for uniforms and patrol cars.

• Nigerian prince looking for business partner says:

It’s very common in my area for businesses to hire off duty police and Sheriff Deputies for security. It’s a fairly new practice but has improved the security of shopping centers and grocery stores immensely. It’s nice to go to Krogers and not having to walk past hookers and drug dealers.

• George4478 says:

unless you were going to Kroger for hookers and drugs. You get 10 cents off gasoline when you buy $100 with your Kroger card.

19. yzerman says:

The cop needs to be reprimanded for overstepping his boundaries as well as not providing identification when requested.

20. Mhc says:

Who the hell puts stolen merchandise in the bag after paying for something anyway? Especially when they know the store does this nonsense? They don’t ask women to open their purses. It’s a scare tactic, pure and simple, to discourage the stupid and the nervous from criminal behavior.

Maybe I’m just bitter because I had a similar experience at a FL Best Buy this weekend, also while with my wife, so I wasn’t able to get into it with them at the time.

• peebozi says:

why are so may guys such pussies when their wife’s around?!?! you and the OP…serious question, i’m not trying to emasculate you!

“Yea, i know that’s Mike Tyson, and I would have kicked his ass too if it weren’t for my wife being around”

21. red92s says:

So, tax dollars actually pay for uniformed police officers to guard select private business?

If it was an off-duty officer being paid by the store, I don’t think they have arrest power.

• ssaoi says:

A law enforcement officer can enforce the law 24 hours a day, seven days a week, generally after establishing his or her identity as a police officer. However, this wasn’t a law breaker.

• Gulliver says:

Wrong on two accounts. Police monitor private businesses ALL THE TIME. Off duty police have the right, duty and RESPONSIBILITY to detain suspected criminals.

22. tweeder82o says:

i know this officier, he’s a big fan of consumerist and had been dying to be featured in an article. this is going on his fridge tonight

23. missiv says:

Funny. I was in Best Buy this weekend, the one in Northgate Mall, in Seattle. I usually dread going to Best Buy because of this treatment. No one was manning the doors, and we walked out with our purchase without a care. It was refreshing. I usually get pissed off at departure time.

• Ela Darling says:

If you get pissed off every time you go and you dread going there, why do you keep returning? Your dollar is your vote. If you keep giving them your dollars when they keep doing things you disagree with, you’re basically encouraging them not to change.

24. Scurvythepirate says:

We need one of those printable cards that explain the consumers right to NOT show the receipt. Kind of like the one they made for the stores that were trying to charge a minimum for a credit card purchase (before it was changed).

Just keep a couple handy in your pocket and hand it to the employee on the way out if they try to ask for the receipt.

• David Ciani says:

extra points for printing them up on thermal receipt paper.

• aka_mich says:

Oh, if only I had taken all those extra spools of receipt paper when Circuit City shutdown. This endeavor could have been the single good thing that came from my employment there.

• Dave on bass says:

Meh, I have a letter from Best Buy’s executive office stating that I don’t have to show my receipt, and I keep the relevant bit of it in my wallet, just in case. Then again, I don’t think I’ve ever set foot in a Best Buy since I received it.

• samonela says:

Eagerly awaiting this…

25. MsFab says:

If employees want to highlight a section of the receipt, why don’t they just do it at the counter once the receipt prints out? This is stupid Best Buy.

26. laughingisfree says:

“Am I free to go or am I being detained?”

27. edrebber says:

The thing to do would be to get in the car and drive off when the cop took the receipt to be marked. Then file a police report stating that the policeman confiscated your receipt under threat of arrest.

28. sweetgreenthing says:

This is why I hate cops. I’m locked out of my car on an unlit street late at night a few miles from a payphone and a cop pulls up to make sure I’m not doing any thing illegal and I ask for some help getting to a safe place to call AAA? Nope, he won’t help me. True story- I was 16, back in the days when 16 year olds didn’t have cell phones.
    Now, if I don’t show my receipt he’s all over it. Or, in my case, threatening to arrest me while I hold my infant daughter (and pregnant) for asking where I can park on my own street during a parade since my husband broke his back and can’t walk 6 blocks.
    I’m pretty sure I’m safer without cops.

• emax4 says:

But would you daughter, who will grow older and may get lost at some point in a mall or shopping center, be thankful for the cops?

29. 4thMeal says:

Based on your other posts Macgyver, I can tell two things about you:

1. You like calling people variations of “douche”.
    2. You don’t care about your civil liberties.

So other than “douches” what do you care about?

30. StrangeEmily says:

When people lie, the first hint that they are, is that they start throwing a tantrum like a little child who didn’t get that pretty toy they saw on the shelf on the way out of store because mummy said “no”.
    Maybe if adults acted like adults and started setting a good example for their children, we wouldn’t end up with body scanners at the front and back door of retail stores so we could see what they were carrying on their person without having to ask for a receipt.
    What ever happened to these people to make them this way?
    Were their parents too strict so now that they’re a big boy or girl they can do whatever they want?
    Were they abused by a receipt checker?
    Do they have an ex who was a receipt checker so now they hate all of them, kinda like if your wife sleeps with the mailman you end up hating the mail?
    Receipt checking benefits the consumer by keeping prices low due to lesser inventory being stolen, its cheaper than having a security camera in every isle and one person per monitor in a security room like some kind of demented FBI security building.
    Most receipt checkers are elderly and work as greeters, do you not want them to have a job anymore to support their family and grandchildren?
    It just doesn’t make any sense, like…. people crying about Christmas items being stocked on shelves too early, like people refusing to hand out their ID after purchasing things over $100, only to have their card stolen a week later and then going out for blood because the ID wasn’t checked, what kind of people would so such a thing???
    Oh yeah… I forgot.

• Zowzers says:

thank you for the straw men. It should be fun burning them later.

• ovalseven says:

Receipt checking does not prevent theft. How is a receipt checker going to stop me from walking out the door with merchandise hidden under my jacket?

Besides, I’d think most shoplifters would just leave the store without ever buying anything. If you’re not carrying a bag, you’re not going to be asked to show a receipt.

31. absherlock says:

I went to my local BB yesterday to buy two e-readers for my daughters, same model as mine. In fact, I brought mine with me, in my sweat jacket pocket, to make sure I got the right ones. Not only didn’t they bother to ask for my receipt when I exited, they didn’t bother to ask about the e-reader in my pocket. Go figure.

32. banmojo says:

something I think many of you are missing here is that this ‘cop’ was likely off duty, picking up some extra cash by standing at the BB front door. What I don’t know is, in this particular situation, does an off duty cop have the right to act ‘as a cop’ when dealing with store shoppers, or by taking this side job have they reduced their legal rights to that of any run of the mill security guard? Anyone know about this?

ps. I usually just show my receipt, but I also tell them “legally you have no right to ask for this, however I’m in a rush and have no intent on making your day fun.”

• JiminyChristmas says:

A cop is a cop with all the powers that entails all day every day whether they are on duty or working a side job. They can respond to criminal activity whenever and wherever they see it.

What they can’t do is use legal powers granted them as officers, e.g.: detaining or arresting people, to enforce a store policy with no basis in the law – like submitting to a receipt check.

Cops moonlighting while in uniform is a perennial problem because of situations exactly like these. The cops do something at the behest of their private employer which contradicts actual law and open themselves and their departments (and by extension, taxpayers) to liability. Mayors and police chiefs then try to crack down. The police unions go to the mat for the right to moonlight in uniform. Then nothing ever changes.

33. Suburban Idiot says:

If this police officer is so willing to violate federal law just to get you to show your receipt, I can imagine how dirty of a cop he must be performing the rest of his duties.

Whatever jurisdiction this officer serves in needs to begin an investigation. I’m sure they’ll find plenty of evidence to show that this officer should spend some time behind bars.

And, knowing how these things work, I’m sure any evidence that is found (on the off chance an investigation ever really did take place) would simply be ignored by prosecutors (that’s how they do it in Dallas and surrounding counties anyway. Even when they have an officer dead to rights, prosecutors just refuse to pursue charges).

34. HalOfBorg says:

35. emax4 says:

I think I posted this before. My solution is to have the receipt checking info at the door before a person steps in. It should state that a customer who steps inside that purchases items allows the receipt checker to check their items. If the customer does not agree to this then they can either browse the store but not be permitted to make any purchases, or simply leave the premises, as the business reserves the right to refuse service to anyone.

• Zowzers says:

Once again, the courts have long held that a posted sign is not the same as an agreed upon contract. So as a customer you have no obligation to comply with their store policy, as it has no real legal weight.

the only recourse a store has is to refuse service to the customer. Catch is, once the product is paid for; service has already been given. And thus their only option would be to refuse service next time the customer enters their store.

• emax4 says:

Is that federal courts or local courts?

• Zowzers says:

both actually. Contract laws are for the most part very specific on their applications. Which is why you never see a customer being taken to court for breach of contract when their store policy is ignored; as the posted sign holds no legal weight.

36. Mark Jaquith says:

Hey, I’m the submitter. I wrote about the incident (and my thoughts on receipt checking) here.

Some points:

- At no point were my purchases checked against the receipt. So this was not in any way about loss prevention. It was about using the full force of the law to make me comply with a store policy.
    - I was not asked for my receipt inside the store. The first thing I heard about a receipt was the deputy detaining me and saying that they needed to check it.
    - There was no mention of shoplifting. The deputy referred to the movies and the receipt as “your property.”
    - I don’t know if this deputy was on duty or not.
    - I received a rather unconvincing apology from the store manager (apologized for the way I felt, not for what happened).
    - I often do show receipts when asked, inside the store. But I never turn back if an employee yells at me. That’s incredibly rude.

37. ajv915 says:

Let’s see. What law did the cop break? Please someone cite a specific federal or state or local code. Because I am pretty sure that the cop doesn’t legally have to give his badge number unless writing a citation(no I did not search to see what if their was a law). However, the officer was acting in accordance of FL 856.021 Loitering or prowling; penalty. Everyone who decides to refuse receipt really should know what laws may be broken and what charges brought against them.

RTF the laws for your state, don’t assume you know them because they were posted here. Kudos to the cop for following the law

• Zowzers says:

what law? just the 4th amendment of the US Constitution thats all. The difference here being citizen/store civil interaction Vs citizen vs police. Once the police arrived and intervened it became a constitutional issue. And frankly the courts have long held that refusal to consent to a search is not probable cause.

Regardless, a person refusing to show a recite at the door or in this case refusal to show a recite to an officer does not break that state statute. the police may try to charge them with it, but it would not only be thrown out in court, but it would open up the city to a civil suit regarding 4th amendment violations.

• edrebber says:

ajv915,

The guy bought something and was leaving the premises. How can you charge him with loitering? Clearly the police officer is guilty of false imprisonment. The guy wasn’t free to go because the police officer wanted to complete the administrative procedure of having the receipt marked.

• ccooney says:

I’m pretty sure that threatening someone with arrest over a noncrime is illegal.

• Bill610 says:

I read the statute you cited, and can’t possibly, using the most tortured interpretation, figure out how it applies here. The guy wasn’t “loitering or prowling”; he didn’t behave in a manner which caused alarm, and didn’t behave in a manner which would cause concern for the safety of persons or property. I really hope you don’t practice law, or worse yet, work in law enforcement.

38. There's room to move as a fry cook says:

I don’t get it. The cop took the receipt back to the store but not the merchandise to make sure they matched.

39. 1OldSchool says:

As a guy who has won many pi$$ing contests, I can see the fun in going head to head with the cop. However, not the most expedient thing to do, and in this current state of Russian tactics in the name of anti-terrorism, push-back could end badly. The AVERAGE IQ is 100, which is why the average techno bear shopping Best Buy can win any verbal battle. Pity the average bear who tries on the below average cop, TSA agent, etc., on the day their spouse has decided to leave, or they backed over the dog, etc. Look around – people are under severe stress, and have been for the last two years with no end in sight. While, in the past, I too have kept walking because I know I would prevail if arrested, I am now trying to practice the golden rule – even in the face of egregious Constitutional violations. Walk a mile in the other person’s shoes before making a judgement. It might help the other person be less confrontational during their next encounter, and at the worst (if things went South), might save your life.

You can still be a di*k and have fun, as long as you remain CALM. I will probably never forget the look on the faces of three TSA agents screaming commands at me in the screening line when I quietly said, “I want to follow your commands, but I can only respond to one person yelling at a time, so please decide who will scream first.”

40. carefree dude says:

Why is it that this story got posted, but the story I sent in about getting physically attacked by a walmart door greeter for not showing my receipt didn’t?

• Zowzers says:

its because the police were involved. which transforms the interaction from being a civil issue (you vs a company) to a 4th amendment rights violation (you vs the police).

41. Kibit says:

Best Buy is the only store where the receipt checking doesn’t bother me as much. I rarely shop there, but when I do I know going in to the store that their policy is to check receipts on my way out. It is their store policy and has been for years. I’m sure the OP knew this, so he chose to shop at a store that does this.

• Mark Jaquith says:

As stated in my post, I often consent if I’m politely asked inside the store. I was not asked inside the store. I was detained in the parking lot by a sheriff’s deputy. And let me tell you how impolite it is to send a cop chasing after someone.

42. SnotSucker says:

These types of stories are getting old and pretty much very similar. Don’t you guys have better things to write about?

43. ThinkerTDM says:

Power corrupts.

44. raybury says:

Walmart in Dumfries, VA, which I probably visit twice a month, was doing the receipt checking and marking thing this Saturday (11/27) for the first time in my experience. I said “no thank you” and walked past with no drama, even though the associate could have pointed out the non-bagged 88-cent water in my cart as justification.

45. donovanr says:

When cops are threatening to take him to jail over a receipt that police department should fire the cop on the spot.

What is needed is a new form of IA. Quite simply if a cop steps outside his authority he is fired. No halfway measures.

If I ran out of my store and told someone that if they didn’t obey one of my made up rules that I would lock them up in my dungeon at gunpoint I would go to jail for a very long time. Why isn’t this cop going to jail. If I were on the jury he would be guilty of the maximum charge and get the maximum sentence for that charge.

• oldwiz65 says:

Investigative Affairs would never get involved in such a thing. The only way you would see IA involved would have been if the cop had shot and killed the guy or beaten him bloody down to the ground with a nightstick. IA would have been fine with the cop handcuffing the guy and throwing him in a squad car. Don’t forget that IA sides with the cops 99.9999% of the time. The police are NOT on your side when they are working these crappy details.

46. oldwiz65 says:

I’m only surprised that the sheriff didn’t tase the guy and throw him in jail. When you work as a rent-a-cop for companies like Best Buy, you are no longer interested in “serve and protect” – you are there to enforce whatever policies a store comes up with, regardless of whether said policy is legal or not.

I would have walked back, shown the receipt, then walked back into the store and demanded a refund on everything.

Way too many cops don’t give a rats tushie about citizens; they only care about their own importance.

47. pinkbunnyslippers says:

I want to ask a legitimate (non-snarky) question. Let’s say I decide to not show them the receipt, and I keep on walking. What can that store physically do to me? In a lot of other cases, I’ve seen instances where they threaten to call the police, but can they detain me until the police get there? What other recourses, if any, does that store have against me?

Honestly, I’m in the camp of “just show the damn receipt, already”, and I respect those of you who don’t necessarily agree with me. I’m just curious about what could actually happen, as it seems that no matter how much bad press BB gets surrounding this issue, they continue to engage in the practice.

• plumbob says:

No they cannot detain you for not showing them a receipt. They might try, but don’t get physical and make it very clear that you are not willingly being detained or searched and you didn’t consent.

If you have a lot of free time wait for the cops, press charges, lawyer up.

• Zowzers says:

The store doesn’t have very many options. The only way they can legally detain you is if they openly accuse you of shoplifting. As there are laws pertaining to shop owners rights that allow them to detain shoplifters until the police arrive.

They can not however legally detain you for simply not showing a recite. They can at worst ban you from entering the store again(shop owners rights).

It issue here being that shops seem to believe they have every right to search your person upon exiting their store; which they absolutely do not have. It is this mis-belief in authority that causes all the fuss.

• pinkbunnyslippers says:

So what’s stopping them from saying “well your failure to produce a receipt gives us lawful suspicion that you’ve shoplifted from our store.”? Therefore they could detain me, no?

48. plumbob says:

I would happily be arrested and get paid for my time in jail through an wrongful arrest settlement.

49. KrispyKrink says:

Reminds me of the first time Best Buy called me to one of these things when I was with the PD. The moment I got there I told the BB Yellow Shirt that there is no law for showing receipts and the customer is under no obligation to show it either. All I got from yellow shirt was “but… but…”, so I told him to go back inside or go to jail.

I told the customer next time, immediately return the merchandise and shop elsewhere.

50. ronbo97 says:

We live in an era where we have to stand by powerlessly and watch our children sexually molested by total strangers, in the name of ‘national security’. In light of this, I don’t think showing a receipt that was just handed to me seconds ago should be considered a big deal.

• camman68 says:

You say “We live in an era where we have to stand by powerlessly and watch our children sexually molested by total strangers”. I assume you are talking about the TSA. If you feel they are being molested but are unwilling to do anything about it, who’s fault is it? I agree that your alternatives are limited…but it is still 100% your choice.

If I had children under the age of 18, it would not be happening to them. Both kids are 18 or over – so they can make their own decisions.

The same is true for receipt checking…… it only happens if you allow it.

51. lostalaska says:

Wow, I didn’t know the police were willing to enforce store policies now.

52. Telekinesis123 says:

It seems the only pre-requisite to being a cop nowadays is: Are you uneducated? Have anger management issues? You’re hired!

53. jpdanzig says:

It’s too bad the shopper’s wife didn’t get the cop’s actions on a cell phone video. I would have loved to see them sue the police — and win!

54. Groanan says:

Dog house or not, unlawful arrest can sometimes = $$$.

I’d take the gamble with the unlawful arrest, even if it meant a few nights in jail.

I’d remind the officer that unless he has probable cause to suspect that I stole something, the store policy of Best Buy counts of jack – his detainment is unlawful.

55. skakh says:

It starts with the police getting involved with harassing a person on behalf of Best Buy. Then it progresses to the police visiting your house to verify you have paid cable service. Where does it end? If a store wants to have a policy of checking a person’s purchases, it should be required to clearly post the policy for all to see. In my mind, once I buy something it is mine and I am under no legal obligation to show anything to a Best Buy minion. If posted, I can simply shop on-line. After all, why buy anything from Best Buy?

56. tsdguy says:

The only one violating the law around here is the police officer. Since it is a police regulation in almost every jurisdiction that an officer must provide their name and/or badge number when requested and/or have it visible at all times, I would certainly file a complaint with the jurisdiction of the officer.

Most likely he is off-duty providing provide service to the store. In that case. the jurisdiction probably has regulations as to the officer’s conduct. You could get some traction there also.

I hope I don’t have to quote Ben Franklin here about this issue…

57. Kahless says:

Has no one in the US ever heard of Implied consent? By willingly shopping at store where this practice to reduce loss is conducted you are giving consent for them to require to check your receipt. Implied Consent applies to privileges such as shopping at a certain store. By not showing you receipt you are in breach of that agreement.

• Groanan says:

Implied consent to be check up on after you leave the store?
      Really? It sorta goes against hundreds of years worth of buyer expectations.

• ccooney says:

Do you have anything to back that up? I haven’t seen anything that allows a store to do any more than ban you for violating one of their policies.

58. zombie70433 says:

I think the cop, as a public servant, is required to give you his badge number upon request. If he was working a security detail, the sheriffs office will have a record of it. If you want to pursue this (not recommended), call them.

59. sopmodm14 says:

its just a double check, the receipt isn’t law…if that was the case, ppl would double scan, and once you sign on the dotted line, “your business is concluded” also

this was a bit out of line for the “officer”

trust me, retailers don’t think each guest is gonna buy from them, but what’s this person gonna steal if they could

one of the perks of capitalistic freedoms i suppose

60. jaubele1 says:

Two words: Online. Shopping.

61. ZenMasterKel says:

The biggest problem with the receipt checking issue is what should a consumer do if they actually shop at that particular store on a regular basis? Challenging Best Buy’s policy (or in my case, Fry’s Electronics Policy) will just cause me problems when I go back. They will immediately place me in the category of “That F’n Guy.”

I agree that it’s annoying to be asked to show a receipt when I just paid for the stuff, but if I plan on going back to that store in the near future, I don’t want to be labeled as a problem customer.

62. Bby says:

It amazes me how stupid you assholes are. You SERIOUSLY bring up a discussion about the 4th amendment as it pertains to a 15 SECOND RECEIPT CHECKING AT A BEST BUY?

SERIOUSLY??

I can’t imagine how pathetic your lives are to be so concerned with a “win” by not showing your receipt at a door.

The whole reason for it is to discourage theft. THAT IS IT.

Not one of those loss prevention employees gives a damn about what you bought. It is simply to deter theft, since you can’t predict who will steal.

You all live sad lives.

• exconsumer says:

Regardless of how you feel about it, it is a 4th amendment issue, and I don’t have to show anyone proof of ownership of the things I own unless they have reason to believe I stole it (and refusal to submit to a search does not constitute such a reason).

All that’s necessary is to be assertive: say ‘no thank you,’ and keep moving. But being assertive with people can be difficult. We are socially conditioned to do what’s asked of us and to follow policy (and most of the time that’s a positive habit). But that’s no reason to criticize people who are prepared to do what you are not yet ready for.

• Bby says:

The thing that none of you brainiacs get is that THE DOOR GREETER HAS NO IDEA WHAT IS IN THE BAG IS YOUR PROPERTY!!

THAT IS WHY THEY F’N CHECK IT!

How hard would it be to bring an old bag into a store from a prior purchase, throw some items in it, and start to walk out the door. Not very difficult at all actually.

But because you mindless drones think you have some constitutional right to be douchebags, you decide to make someone’s job more difficult. I really hope the few of you that work and are not being supported by me and others have someone difficult at your McDonalds one of these days.

• 99 1/2 Days says:

RTFA. He was chased down by a cop. And learn the law. It’s been told to you enough.

• Bby says:

I wasn’t responding to the issue of the cop. I posted about the fact of receipt checking. That has nothing to do with the law, as much as everyone is bringing it up. It’s not about profiling someone either. Why don’t you read the post instead of criticizing?

• Bby says:

And I could care less what you think your rights are. You have no concept of what real life is all about when you make a bitch fit about something this minor.

Why don’t you parade against the child molesters?

How about your politicians who continually take a ton of money to do absolutely nothing, while our teachers, firemen, and policemen struggle to find work and keep it?

Why not make a stand against the gangs selling dope in your streets, poisoning adults and children alike?

No, let’s come bitch on a little read internet board about some made up right we have to not show a receipt when we leave a store.

• ccooney says:

did you think all that stuff started big, or did it start small and then grow? Kill it when it’s small enough to deal with personally.

Meanwhile, the drug dealers are supported by our drug policy, and pedos aren’t really common enough to bother with.

• Mr. Charlie says:

^^ this… agree

I love what could be solved in 15 seconds of rational adult conversation in real life always turns into an ego pissing contest of thermonuclear proportions online.

God forbid we worry about housing the homeless, or employing the jobless, or doing ANYTHING CONSTRUCTIVE with our feeble minds. Instead we choose to go on to smear sites like this and waste our time on frivolous arguments about having some underpaid and overabused LP guy take 15 seconds to check the receipt.

Get over yourselves… sheesh.

• ccooney says:

The point here is to resist this sort of thing when it’s small so you don’t have to resist it when it gets big. An ounce of prevention and all that.

63. jedifarfy says:

I’d have happily taken my items back to the store… to return them. It’s bad enough being bothered with it from the store, now you have cops following you? Treat everyone like a criminal and you’ll lose all your customers.

64. fuceefacee says:

…Oh yawn! These receipt stories grow tiresome.

65. kylere1 says:

I have to wonder if it is my 6’3 230lbs frame that stops peopl4e from doing this to me, I have been ignoring clerks asking for a receipt for years and never had an issue.

66. JonStewartMill says:

Geez, it’s like the brick & mortar retailers are begging me to do all my shopping online. I’m happy to comply with that [unstated] suggestion.

67. wetdog2 says:

This is not a Best Buy problem, it’s about a guy with a badge being a bully because he was too mentally deficient to manage the situation reasonably. It gets better?

68. uber_mensch says:

I hope this makes you all feel better. I bought an LED TV at Walmart last week and rolled it out the door and no one asked to see my receipt.

69. parsonsdj1 says:

Please feel free not to shop at a store if you disagree with their loss-prevention procedures.

70. sugarcoatedbeth says:

I think this policy at Best Buy is annoying and ridiculous. I did buy my i pod from BB and had to be escorted from the case where they were locked to the register at the front. After I paid for it, I walked the 6 or 8 feet to the front door where I had my receipt checked. So it’s not as though they have high dollar items sitting on the shelves for people to be able to put in their pocket, etc. And really, the register where you pay for your items is only a few feet from the front door. It’s not as though you can stuff a bunch of items in your bag on the way out. It has nothing to do with inventory because that is done electronically while you check out and the employees rarely check to see what is actually in your bag and match it up with the receipt.

71. lumberg says:

Boo friggin hoo. You feel better now that you stood up for your infantile right to kick and scream like a 5 year old brat just because you don’t like a store’s loss prevention policy?

These receipt checking fighters make my day. I hope each and everyone one of them has someone who makes THEIR job needlessly stressful and difficult.

“It’s my receipt, it’s my property, blah blah blah blah” You sound like some kids 2 year old sister screaming “MINE! MINE!” Get over yourselves.

72. EyeintheLAsky says:

Interesting officer.
    Please SHOW me the LAW that compels me to show a receipt – by-the-way, somewhere in your academy training they SHOULD have trained you as to the difference between “company policy” and actual statute law.
    By-the-way, since you chose to get involved, if you do NOT show me your I.D. or give me your card, i’ll be on the phone with your supervisor AND legal counsel before you can get your donut-laden-ass out of the parking lot.

73. coren says:

People have debated whether stores are violating unreasonable search and seizure because they’re not the government.

Isn’t a police officer a representative of the government, and therefore now violating your constitutional rights?

74. flbas says:
    • ccooney says:

she got nothing. It’s worth noting that we live in a country where you can be arrested for filling a pain prescription. Abscesses HURT!

75. Bog says:

Here is the what the law is according to the belief of places like Best Buy and Wall Mart: Even though you paid for the merchandise, you do not actually own it until you leave the store and go through a final checkout. It remains the property of the store until you are off the store property.

76. BlkSwanPres says:

I would have went back in and returned the DVD’s

77. brawlermein says:

1. searching bags implies guilt of all ur customers
    2. police have no right to enforce store policys. they are supposed to enforce the law which was not broken here.
    3. he should have said ok arrest me and then sued the police department for false arrest because there was no real charge but i understand him wanting to just get it over with
    4. what kinda po dunk town has deputies outside enforcing receipt checking procedures?