Gastroenterologists Warn That Thanksgiving Can Make You Sick

If you’re a regular reader of Gastroenterology & Endoscopy News, you already know about this, but just in case you’ve allowed your subscription to lapse, here’s a word of warning: you may get heartburn from your Thanksgiving dinner. You can thank us later.

According to the fine folks at G&E News (or GastroEndoNews, as they prefer to be called):

Health officials estimate that an average Thanksgiving meal can add up to a whopping 3,500 calories. With the prospect of larger-than-average meals on the calendar, it seems appropriate to think about gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) throughout the holidays.

During the 12th Annual GERD Awareness Week, which takes place Nov. 21-27, the International Foundation for Functional Gastrointestinal Disorders (IFFGD) works to focus attention on GERD diagnosis and treatment.

If you’re in any doubt about why you feel a little funny after consuming that 3,500-calorie meal, the IFFGD has tips on its site, and a hotline you can call (888-964-2001) to help you figure out whether it really was your aunt’s turkey recipe that did you in.

Just in Time for Thanksgiving, It’s GERD Awareness Week! [GastroEndoNews.com]

Comments

1. CaptCynic says:

Wait… they’re saying that eating two days worth of food at one meal could cause some stomach discomfort? Inconceivable!

2. Red Cat Linux says:

This just in: holiday binging can cause stomach upset. GERD awareness groups to hold rally.

Tonight’s news sponsored by Prilosec.

• dolemite says:

Ahh Prilosec…my savior. I’ve had bad acid reflux since college, and had tried everything…bed time was so miserable, but then a gastroenterologist recommended Prilosec and everything has been fine for the past 2 years.

• Red Cat Linux says:

It does help. I only have to take it when I’m ‘mostly seasick’ – which just means I get no other symptom but acid reflux. I take it for a couple weeks, and I’m good again.

…And then, I get three months of letters from my pharmacy plan telling me I have to take it for the rest of my life, and do I want to order it in three month batches. Ugh.

3. danmac says:

Obvious gastroenterologists are obvious.

4. Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

GERD is definitely what I think about during my thanksgiving meal.

But seriously, I think a good portion of the community routinely eats 3,500 calorie meals, and this will not likely phase them.

5. human_shield says:

No more calories than a night out at Applebee’s.

6. AstroWorn2010 says:

GERD GERD GERD, GERD is the word….

7. Portlandia says:

Sorry that crudités “turkey” monster thing is horrifying.

• Slave For Turtles says:

Seriously? I was going to comment just how awesome it was! What a cool centerpiece! My relish tray is going to be so dull in comparison.

• Hoot says:

Agreed. Horrifying. I couldn’t tell what it was at first.

Dirty vegetarians screwing up Thanksgiving…

8. The Porkchop Express says:

I would think all readers of Gastroenterology & Endoscopy News would be regular

9. Oranges w/ Cheese says:

We won’t be doing the standard holiday meal as we’ll be on vacay, but I am on a diet. I hope I can hold off the bad habits for the 4 days I’ll be gone.

10. topgun says:

This should apply to any meal my wife cooks

11. Coelacanth says:

I already had a strong gut feeling about this.

12. HogwartsProfessor says:

I’m not going anywhere this year, so I’m just going to have a ham steak, some peas amandine and mashed sweet taties at home. I got everything all ready and will make enough to have a little lunch on Monday. No chance of eating too much or too crazy of foods because of my ulcer. I have to have one of those endoscopy things on January 10. Bleah.

And a movie marathon in my pajamas! Whee!

13. Froggmann says:

And…. your point?

14. Cantras says:

True story, last year my husband and I actually both got *violently ill* about two days after thanksgiving. We thought it was my grandma’s custard pie (we suspect the batter was hot, it was basically sweet scrambled eggs and it was disgusting) but since no-one else got sick, we guessed alter it was probably the take/bake pizza we’d had the day after.

Not wholly relevant. But stomach discomfort after thanksgiving!

15. Emily says:

Gastroenterologists are just jealous of all the buzzkill fun dentists have at Halloween.

16. prplmnky says: