Florida Aims To Fine Pesky Robocallers

Fed up with untimely calls from the Terminator, Robocop and other telemarketrons, Florida’s Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services is going after four telemarketing firms in the state, aiming to stick them with fines and injunctions that will stop them from making more cold calls.

The Palm Beach post reports some of the robocalls, which targeted those who were on federal and state Do Not Call lists, gave recipients a false opt-out by advising them to press “2” to stop the calls from coming. Pressing “2” did nothing.

Fines could be up to $10,000 per unsolicited call.

If you’ve been plagued by robocalls, how did you get them to stop?

State consumer officials build case to fine telemarketers [Palm Beach Post]

Comments

1. JoeDawson says:

I changed my phone number… its not 4 times a day anymore, but i still get them.

• Alex says:

“If you’ve been plagued by robocalls, how did you get them to stop?”

I got all of them to stop by terminating my landline. In my opinion, this is part of the reason that landlines are fading fast.

2. Mr. Fix-It says: "Canadian Bacon is best bacon!" says:

$10,000 per each call? Owch. :3

3. Angus99 says:

“Targeted” those on Do Not Call Lists?? I’d say that’s begging for a beat down. Bailiff – whack their pee-pees!

4. Dover says:

Small claims court for violations of the TCPA. I was lucky that I was dealing with a semi-reputable business, though; it would be hard to identify, locate, and serve, let alone collect from, a fly-by night company.

5. obits3 says:

Think of the children who have to hear all these robocalls!

6. Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

For how long robocalling has been around, you’d think we’d have better detection systems for that.

• buzz86us says:

You really can’t because they use random number generators. You will get calls even if you are on the Do Not Call list.

• LatinoGeek says:

Plus the number you see on the Caller ID (if you see one at all,) is likely spoofed and not a valid number.

7. jessjj347 says:

Ah, so apparently I wasn’t paranoid about not adding myself to the “do-not-call” list.

8. IphtashuFitz says:

Caller ID & voicemail. If a call comes in from something like “unlisted”, “unavailable”, etc. or an obviously bogus number like 000-000-0000 it goes straight to voicemail. Actually these days virtually every single call that is from a number I don’t recognize goes to voicemail. 99% of telemarketers/robocallers don’t bother leaving messages.

• daave says:

thats easily overcome. my old job used a dialer that had a caller ID number for every area code in the USA. if it was dialing a 516, it would show you a 516 number. if you were a 630, then your caller ID would show a 630 number. with us, if you called that number back you would get our customer service reps. the problem with a lot of these new robodialers is that the caller ID number is not a valid number.
      yesterday i got one that was identical to my area code and first 3 numbers of my phone number. the last 4 numbers on the caller ID were “0000” so i knew it was robo.

I wish i could send all unknown numbers to voicemail.. but i use the phone for work so its not a possibility. id miss important calls

9. theblackdog says:

“Fed up with untimely calls from the Terminator, Robocop and other telemarketrons…”

AKA “We need extra money so now we’re going to pay attention to robocalls and claim we’re doing something.”

It’s too bad the people who are being bothered by these calls won’t see a dime of the money.

10. TooManyHobbies says:

I’ll be impressed when they allow us to enter a Do Not Call opt-out list for political calls.

Hint: this will never happen. A politician would have to vote for it.

11. Chairman-Meow says:

This is why I always call Florida the “scam capitol of America”

12. JustLurking says:

Do not call lists should include EVERYONE, particularly politicians.

Better yet, they should ban all automatic calls short of reverse 911 emergency messages.

13. oldwiz65 says:

They probably are doing something since their own people are being bothered. If ordinary citizens get bothered I doubt they would care at all.

14. selkie says:

Nice to see that Agriculture Comissioner Charles Bronson is not just lame ducking his way through his final days in office. I’ll rather miss seeing his name on Florida’s gas pumps and produce scales come January.

15. zombie70433 says:

I hate robocalls because they tie up the damn line. What if for some reason, I suddenly need to use the phone, but cant because the robot refuses to hang up?

Believe it or not, as I was typing this, Lane Bryant robocalled the house.

16. pitawg says:

I spent ~$150 on a pc card that takes 2 phone lines and connects 2 phone extensions, free pbx software, and an old pc 6 years ago to run my own pbx. With a little setting up, all calls without caller id numbers are given the tri-tone and verbal “This line is no longer in use” messages. Any calls with numbers ring through, but can be added to the blacklist by calling a four digit extension number. The area code can also be added, to block all calls from that area code.

Collectors (for whoever they say they are looking for this week), marketers and political groups never get through again. Especially since the same companies from the same states are the source of the majority of the calls.

I even added a partial recording of Rick Astley’s video to “Rick-Roll” any calls coming in with a *97.

17. u1itn0w2day says:

In some respects I like the robo CALLs and not callers because there are several seconds of dead silence where you realize there is a recording or call center employee about to follow. So you know to hang up in seconds. Unfortunetly you had to answer the call.

How come Jeb didn’t do this YEARS earlier with all the seniors in Florida.