What It Costs To Whore Out Celebrities On Twitter

If you’re a deep-pocketed advertiser who thinks all your product needs to get over the top is some Twitter love from Marlon Wayans, Khloe Kardashian or Lindsay Lohan, pull out your checkbook, because you’re just a payment away from making it happen.

Here’s the Sponsored Tweets list of Twitter prostitutes willing to become your 140-character spokesperson for the right price.

There are more than 38,000 people on the list, ranked in order of followers. Khloe, who has more than 2 million followers, is the discount Kardashian sister, charging $2,941.25 for a sponsored Tweet, while the listing for more popular sister Kim (5 million-plus followers) says you have to call for a price.

Lindsay Lohan (1.4 million followers) will do your bidding for $2,985.80 and Marlon Wayans (425,000 followers) wants $1,176.50.

Sponsor These Tweeters [Sponsored Tweets]
(Thanks, J B!)

Comments

1. Offspring22 says:

Sponsored Tweets link doesn’t work….

2. grapedog says:

Link isn’t working!

Bring out the whores!

Is this like when I go over to Europe and see all the US movie stars advertising bathroom cleaner?

3. Muddie says:

Links are coming back 404. They link to http://consumerist.com/2010/11/link

Since I can’t read the article yet, is this for just one tweet, or is it an agreement of a dozen spaced-out tweets? Sadly, you probably get a really good return on this.

4. TheBusDriver says:

here is the link:

5. danmac says:

Wow…calling celebrities prostitutes and whores because they’ll take money to endorse a product? I guess Wilford Brimley is a whore because he appears in Quaker Oats commercials and Michael Jordan was a prostitute because he has endorsed any number of products.

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

You make a good point.

• Muddie says:

Don’t you know that accepting money for services makes you a whore? Duhhhh.

• grapedog says:

Yeah, pretty much, they are getting paid to say they love Vagisil Oral Cleanser, when they probably don’t use it. They are getting paid to dupe people into buying a product they say they use, that they may or may not use. It’s not like they’re becomming a pitchman for the product either, using it, wearing it, sticking with it. It’s a one time “I’m a whore, buy this because I’m famous and you want to be like me, and I use this”. That’s WHORE-ISH.

• JoeDawson says:

BUTTERS! We need more Vagisil!

• pop top says:

“They are getting paid to dupe people into buying a product they say they use, that they may or may not use.”

And how is that different from regular advertising? Just because Michael Jordan says he wears Hanes doesn’t mean he actually does.

• Megalomania says:

Because when you see MJ on TV, you know he’s in an ad and not just thinking, “wow, these are great! I should let people know about this!”

• b.k. says:

I use Sponsored Tweets. I don’t charge $3K a tweet, but it’s a good medium to get the attention of advertisers. You have the freedom to reject a company’s offer if you want to. So I usually just tweet out ads for stuff that I like and use anyway. It’s a nice way to earn extra cash for talking about stuff you’d probably talk about even if you weren’t being paid to.

Or you can just Tweet out every ad you can, which won’t gain you any followers.

• njack says:

Well the Kardashian girls should be used to it….

• General Colon Power says:

When you see Wilford in an ad, you know it is an ad. These celebutards hawking crap on Twitter as if the idea just came to them is deceitful.

• robocop is bleeding says:

“I guess Wilford Brimley is a whore”

Brimley knows what he did and should fess up.

It’s the right thing to do.

• Sanspants says:

While I agree with the point you’re making about endorsments, I personally feel this might be different because of the medium. Twitter’s supposed to be a personal thing, right? This might be a horrible analogy, but I feel it’d be like Michael Jordan charging a large amount of money to allow Nike to put a billboard on his house for a day.

You’d expect magazine and television ads, but this seems to be a new thing, right?

• pop top says:

It’s definitely a personal thing, which is why companies like Comcast and Microsoft have Twitter accounts, because corporations are people.

• CrankyOwl says:

Yep, ITA. This is the celeb equivalent of those awful “Social Media Experts” on Twitter who follow as many people as they can in hopes they can make $$$ from it.

6. MyLifeROI says:
  7. chaesar says:

a price down to the cents? so if you cut a check to Lindsay Lohan for $2,985.79 she wont do it?

8. mattarse says:

Well if anyone wants, I’ll tweet whatever you ask for 42 cents now – @mattarse

9. Applekid ┬──┬ ノ( ゜-゜ノ) says:

I’m going to start a collection. I want Lindsay Lohan’s sponsored tweet to read: “OMG I’m hankering for some C-O-C-A-I-N-E” and Kim Kardashian’s sponsored tweet to read: “The only reason I’m famous is because of my sex tape and ass: SUCK IT HAWKING”

• Hoot says:

1. They are free not to accept the offer. Sadly. Otherwise that would be amusing.
      2. Why not something about the double down? You disappoint.

10. grapedog says:

What really makes me sad is that a combined 8.4 million plus people care what Kim, Khloe and Lindsay have to tweet….

• raydee wandered off on a tangent and got lost says:

My sincere hope is that there is a great deal of overlap in those followings.

11. CrankyOwl says:

Wait…I have 360 followers on Twitter, so I could be charging…umm…math is hard :(

• Not Given says:

I have 366, that I don’t want to alienate by spamming. Once in a while, I’ll do the re-tweet this to be entered in this drawing type thing and its usually something my followers would be interested in winning, also. They will even re-tweet my re-tweet sometimes instead of the original tweet.

12. sugarplum says:

This could be fun – you can hire, say, @DavidFaustino to say something a tad off-color to a friend on their birthday for only around $342! I wonder where they draw the line.

• blogger X says:

Ha! Are You Being Served? Awesome profile pic!

• Not Given says:

That could be fun.

Seriously, a show runner tweeted “Happy Birthday’ to an online friend of mine (who is a big fan of the now canceled show) just because someone in a chat (IRC) asked him to, and he’s a sweet guy. He really doesn’t tweet a lot, otherwise. We even made him prove he was himself, by tweeting, the first time he showed up in a chat.

I think it really meant a lot to her.

13. Macgyver says:

So these people are getting paid to post to twitter. How is this any different from doing a commercial?
    And what the hell is Kim Kardashian famous(besides her big ass)?

• RvLeshrac says:

This is like calling up all your friends to read them an advertisement.

Yes, no one sane is under the impression that following them on Twitter automagically makes you friends with a famous person, but that’s the vibe here. They aren’t on TV, they aren’t on the radio, they’re on a medium which is supposed to be “safe” from flagrant advertising.

The worst part is that many of these tweets aren’t properly labelled as advertisements. When you watch an infomercial or read a magazine ad, you know they’re selling a product.

• pop top says:

I’m pretty sure that most people following celebs know they aren’t actual friends with them. At least I hope so…

14. TasteyCat says:

Lindsay Lohan’s still considered a celebrity? I bet I could get her to Tweet for me for a tenner.

15. adamatizea says:

“The worst part is that many of these tweets aren’t properly labelled as advertisements. “

That is a tough task when it comes to Twitter. I know for us (I work at SponsoredTweets), all Tweets must have some form of disclosure chose by the Tweeter writing it. This can be #ad, #spon, “sponsored by”, “Ad:”, “Advertisement:” or a few others. I’m sure some people still don’t realize it’s paid, but all intent is made to make it known. Hard to know how people interpret it, but I think that’s a problem on all mediums. Some people probably think celebrities are talking directly to them when watching TV after all.

16. Halloween Jack says:

Your post title reminds me of a letter that some self-righteous twit wrote to Rolling Stone sometime back in the eighties, calling Lou Reed “a whore for corporate America” because he did one lousy Honda scooter ad. It was lame then, and it’s lame now.

17. gogo8675309 says:

David Faustino – $352.95, seriously? And I love how the lesser known Craig Wayans is only $7.75 per tweet. lol