Thanks But No Thanks For The Raw McRib

You probably never wanted to see what the insides of a raw McDonald’s McRib sandwich looked like. Neither did Consumerist reader Russell, but he didn’t really have a say in the matter.

After ordering up two of the limited-time saucy sammies, Russell noticed something was amiss:

Halfway through the first one, I am saying to myself…’This is nothing like I remembered. They must have changed the recipe because the consistency of the patty is different?… That is when I realized I was served a RAW PORK PATTY…

I didn’t even know McDonald’s workers actually cooked things… more like heat them up…

The best part was the manager’s only attempt to remedy the situation was to serve me new ones… Oh, yeah like I wanted to eat more food from that kitchen.

Shouldn’t the manager have at least offered to refund the cost of the McRibs?

Comments

1. pecan 3.14159265 says:

Introducing the new McDonald’s McRib Tartare!

• SecretShopper: pours out a lil' liquor for the homies Wasp & Otter says:

ooh baby I like it raw…..

/sorry couldn’t resist

RIP ODB

2. HowdyHowdyHowdy says:

I threw up in my mouth.

3. Dr.Wang says:

This is really easy. Stop eating the fake/synthetic food at McDonald’s. Just don’t go there. Your body is hungry because it wants nutrition. You aren’t going to get that at McFakeburger’s.

• Venality says:

I’ve never heard of an undercooked meal anywhere else. Thank you for the excellent advice.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

Because clearly, only you have the strength and fortitude to only eat for nutrition’s sake. Nothing that flies by your mandibles is ever consumed just because it tastes good; no, it is always for nutritional benefit.

I dub thee Pretentious Nutrition Man, full of Vitamins B and S!

• SecretShopper: pours out a lil' liquor for the homies Wasp & Otter says:

yes mcdonalds is bad thanks for the tip, do you have anything constructive to say?

• The cake is a lie! says:

So if this were a healthy, but undercooked meal, from somewhere else, then you would have something useful to say, right? Let’s pretend it is that and go from there.

Go back to the gym and continue sharing the gospel of good nutrition with everybody. Personally I’d rather eat myself to death and enjoy life than spend all my free time trying to perfect a mortal body that will probably get hit by a truck at some point anyway, so I reject your gospel on principle. Thanks though.

• Dr.Wang says:

no, I don’t go to the gym. No I am not a nutrition freak and I never go to the health food store or the supplement store. I like junk food myself and enjoy a rare fast food treat, but I stay away from McD’s because it ain’t food. That’s why their crap won’t rot like actual food does. Every aspect of what they sell is a lie: fake flavor, fake smell, fake texture, fake color, everything. I never said don’t eat junk food all I said was don’t eat fake food. If you wouldn’t eat the plastic/wax display food on a table at a model home open house, then don’t eat at McD, it’s the virtually the same thing, only theirs is legal for human consumption.

• Venality says:

What is the exact difference between McDonalds and the other fast food place you visit?

• Phil Villakeepinitrreal says:

News Flash: The other fast food places aren’t any more “real food” than McDonald’s. Second news flash: If you make a burger McDonald’s style (size, type of bun, thickness) at home? It won’t rot either.

• BlkSwanPres says:

Wow you are very biased, you are also very misinformed, no matter how junk the junk food is at McDonald’s, its still food, as for their food not rotting, if you did a little research a homemade burger to the same proportions also will not rot, its all about the water content, and you no science. You would think a doctor would know that :).

• Southern says:

That’s why their crap won’t rot like actual food does

Guess you missed this article?

• Dr.Wang says:

if you can make a burger at home and it doesn’t rot, then i would find some place else to buy your groceries. At my house, the bun molds and the burger patty turns green and stinks and shrivels up and turns to stone. Real food rots. Fake food does not. It’s nature’s way of warning you. Fake food is not fit to eat. Watch the documentary: Food Inc.

• ArgusRun says:

Again, you are wrong. The thing that makes it rot is moisture. Make a thin enough burger and bun and keep it in a dry apartment and it will dry out rather than rot.

You are suffering from something called confirmation bias. You believe that McDonald’s is bad and its food if fake. Therefore, someone when someone presents evidence that seems to confirm your belief, you accept it. When someone presents information that debunks it, you discount it.

A rather human reaction, but I think you’ll find you’ll go further in life if you use logic and rational thought rather than knee jerk reactions and a false sense of superiority.

• mythago says:

“MY fast food is better than YOUR fast food.”

Whatever, dude.

• MB17 says:

I know this will sounds completely alien to you, but some people don’t consider exercise torture…

• duncanblackthorne says:

Enjoy your obesity, heart disease, diabetes, irritable bowel syndrome, supressed immune system, overall poor health and quality of life, and early death, buddy. All because you can’t be bothered to control your diet and take proper care of your body. We can just hope that you’re an example of what NOT to be to your children.

• Genuineduck says:

I’d much rather hang out with a chill obese sick guy with diabetes than a smug, ignorant asshole who thinks he can judge somebody’s entire life and diet based on one online blog post.

So enjoy having no friends :)

• The cake is a lie! says:

Just because one doesn’t count calories, doesn’t mean they are out of shape and unhealthy. I’m 35 years old and am 6’2″ at 190 lbs. So I can eat wherever the fuck I want, thank you very much. Go take a walk over your purified water and jump off the edge of the earth, if you please.

• The Marionette says:

lol SOMEone’s upset their workout routine isn’t cutting it. I eat mc d’s, work out regularly, and so far on all of my check-ups I’ve had a clean bill of health. So… yeah……… not sure where you get your “logic” from……….. I won’t bother to be back in this topic, so if you reply i’m not gonna really see it ^ _ ^

• Leksi Wit says:

It all depends how often you eat that $hit. I personally haven’t eaten at a McD’s in 5 years and I don’t miss it at all. I’m also nearly 30 lbs lighter which I’m sure isn’t a coincidence (though I never was officially overweight by BMI). You say all your vitals are great, but that could be cause you also eat nutritionally sound when you’re not eating at McD’s. And of course there is age… if you’re under 30, then give it time… That $hit catches up with you, eventually.

• Clyde Barrow says:

Well I think you’re both right. I am a health nut and I eat the protein shakes, salads, do the aerobics, weight training, blah, blah, blah. But I know when my body needs McDs, it tells me so and I just can’t help it. I think it’s about balance though. I have tried to only eat healthy in my past but I just cannot do it. I get to thinking about steakburgers, fries, shakes, onion rings. I really think I’ll get sick if I don’t eat this crap once in a while. And besides, I love burgers, hotdogs, Peanut Buster Parfae’s from DQ, babyback ribs, and lots of beer. So, I work out hard at the gym so I can enjoy my life eating this type of food.

• crunchberries says:

I’ve got a better idea. Stop being a concern troll, you hypocrite.

4. Scuba Steve says:

Its extremely processed pork, drenched in some sort of BBQ sauce, and stuck in a bun. I tried one a week ago and was completely unimpressed. I also found a bit of bone, but I’m not one to freak out about things like that.

I’ll stick with the burgers.

5. Hungry Dog says:

Just put more sauce on it. That’s the source of flavor you are missing.

6. nbs2 says:

Smart manager would have refunded the cost of the meal and offered replacements (up to Russell if he wants them or not).

But, I suspect that some guideline, somewhere, handcuffed the manager in to making the offer made.

• The cake is a lie! says:

How much could they possibly cost? You can get one for a buck with the purchase of any value meal in my neck of the woods. Surely they don’t keep that close of tabs on the inventory to notice a few freebies to a customer who could bring the wrath of the health department down on them.

• Mr. Pottersquash says:

pay out of pocket. the cost of 2 McRibs v. bad PR. You pay the man, say sorry shucks, hell give him 20 bucks and get him to side some boilerplate non-disclosure agreement.

7. The cake is a lie! says:

I think Sam Kinison said it best about the McRib… “Hey, let’s see if they’ll eat shit on bread. We’ll call it the McShit Sandwich.”

8. chaesar says:

you can almost see the e. coli

9. SecretShopper: pours out a lil' liquor for the homies Wasp & Otter says:

refund at the minimum, maybe throw in some free cooked mcribs for good measure, although i wouldn’t eat anything from that kitchen either

10. Hoss says:

Sal Manilla is in the house

11. MrBryan says:

Y dsrv t fr tng tht grbg.

12. Macgyver says:

You should call the health dept. cause it’s a violation to serve raw meat.

• Xene says:

Good idea. My wife called the health department on a KFC in our area that sold her chicken that was cooked on the outside but raw on the inside. They were closed until the problem was fixed.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

Pretty sure it’s not, cause then restaurants wouldn’t be able to serve sashimi or tartare. It’s not even illegal to serve undercooked meat, because the USDA’s definition of what is fully cooked is unacceptable to anyone who enjoys a good steak. Restaurants also frequently undercook chicken by a few degrees because it is bound to hit that fully-done mark just after it’s been put on a plate and given to the serving staff.

Now, eating uncooked pork is not a good thing, but it’s not illegal to serve it – just an extremely bad idea.

• mythago says:

Food that is served uncooked (like sashimi) has to be kept at a certain temperature, and plenty of health departments have regulations about the temperature at which meat can be served. I would be rather surprised if the OP’s neck of the woods did not have a minimum internal temperature for pork.

But of course, that’s why you call the health department, right? To let them find out if everything’s legal.

• LBD "Nytetrayn" says:

Perhaps it varies from state to state? In NC, I worked at a steakhouse, and we had one guy who wanted his steak raw, but we weren’t allowed to serve it to him as such; it at least had to touch the grill for a certain (if short) length of time on each side.

13. Nessiah says:

you should have told them you wanted it cooked well done!

:p

14. El_Fez says:

*shrug*

Cooked, uncooked – either way McDonalds food tastes nasty. Losing proposition all around.

15. Mr Grey says:

Back in my senior year of HS,91-92, I worked for Mac Donald’s and we cooked everything. We had a flat grill, then they got the “clams” which took cooking a standard patty from a few minutes to 40 seconds, a Royale with cheese took 104 seconds.

I hated cooking McRibs, the left this skin on the grill, and clams.

16. JohnDeere says:

isnt it pre cooked like everything else at mcdonalds.

17. Chaosium says:

“I didn’t even know McDonald’s workers actually cooked things…”
    They don’t.

“more like heat them up…”
    They do.

This probably came from the processing plant in an unready state.

• crazydavythe1st says:

No, they actually do cook stuff. Where do people get this crazy idea that everything arrives precooked? Almost nothing is pre-cooked.

18. Kty_McD says:

Hi, it’s Katie from McDonalds Customer Satisfaction. I’m sorry to hear about Russell’s experience. We have strict quality control measures including cooking times to assure high quality product. We take this issue seriously, and would like to get some info from Russell, can you have him follow/DM me on Twitter at Kty_McD? Thanks.

19. dumpsterj says:

i love mcribs , the holiest of holy fast food !!!

20. MaelstromRider says:

I had a similar issue. I got served a salad with raw bacon on it, and the best they would do was give me another salad. I took the salad, a different type without bacon, and made sure to report them to the health department when I got home.

I don’t understand how they can /not/ cook the food in a place like that. There are rules and procedures for everything.

21. SharkD says:

That’s not pork… think smaller & more legs…

[/Hey! Hey!]

22. laughingisfree says:

Hey at least the tapeworm cyst comes free on raw pork.

23. RayanneGraff says:

Just when I thought that sandwich couldn’t get any grosser…

24. framitz says:

Damn!, Glad I ate lunch two hours ago, but that photo is still hard to take.

25. HogwartsProfessor says:

That’s gross!

I got a burger that was bright pink inside once; right at the switch from breakfast to lunch. They told me the grill has to be turned up after breakfast and someone must not have checked it before making the burger. Anyway, I went back after work and they made me a new burger for free. It was a training McDonald’s, so I forgave them.

26. cupcake_ninja says:

I used to think fast food arrived to the restaurant pre-cooked…until I bit into a raw chicken McNugget. How a small chunk of nugget survives the fryer without being cooked through, I’ll never know. I haven’t eaten at McD’s since.

• Mom says:

From my fast food days….the crispy coating looks done long before the inside actually is done, especially in a situation like McD’s where everything is refrigerated right up until the second it goes into the fryer. That said, anybody who’s ever cooked a few things in a fryer can tell whether the food is done just by watching it bubble in the fryer for a couple of seconds.

My guess? Some idiot put the McRib into the fryer straight from the freezer. About the time the outside looked done, the inside would be just about thawed.

27. Clyde Barrow says:

I had two Mc Ribs this past weekend and it was awesome. I am going back for more.

28. Jane_Gage says:

McTrichinosis

29. haggis for the soul says:

Did you ask for a refund and the manager refused you, or did you just wait to see what you would be offered?

30. HowdyHowdyHowdy says:

That made me throw up in my mouth, again.