Facebook Will Be Plagued By 50 Million Zombie Accounts By 2015

Facebook is so relatively new that deaths of users are somewhat of an anomaly, but a mathematical model reveals that the amount of undead accounts will rise to 50 million within five years.

Jonathan at 1000 Memories submitted a post in which he projects an exponential increase of Facebook zombies — Jonathan refers to them as “ghosts” — will plague the site, roam around and hunt for your digital flesh.

Will the Facebook zombie apocalypse make the site less appealing? What would you like to see happen to your profile after you join the Grim Reaper’s network?

The Rise of the Dead: How Many Ghosts are on Facebook? [1000 Memories]

Comments

1. Southern says:

They’ve probably got close to that many accounts that are inactive NOW, from people that signed up, didn’t like the site, or stopped using it for whatever reason.

• CookiePuss says:

I was thinking the same thing. I have about 10 accounts myself because I always use a dummy email account with fake info since I hardly ever use it and was never a fan of social networking sites. Sometimes family/friends would want me to check out a pic or something so I’d get another account, check it out, then never log in again.

2. Destron says:

Ya. I’m one of those Zombies now.

3. MutantMonkey says:

M Night Shyamalan just got a new idea for a bad movie.

“Dead people message me.”

4. macoan says:

Problem is there is no real good way for Facebook to know if a user has passed away…. and with Facebook already like Yahoo Mail (You can create as many accounts as you want) – I’m sure there are already tons of “Zombie” accounts out there.

I think the best thing for Facebook to do is.

If a person does not sign into an account in 60 days, put something on the account wall of that user saying something like “Inactive User”. After 90 days – then stop all activity on the account (if others are still posting on wall, etc…) If the user signs back in at any time, then activate the account like it was new.

But the big thing is – to mark an account which the user hasn’t been signed on to for more then 60 days (or 90 days) – that way other users will see that and not wonder why a person has not replied back to their friend request and such… because the user hasn’t been on facebook.

• Rachacha says:

Facebook will Memorialize a page when the next of kin advises the person that they have passed.
      What does memorializing an account mean? Does it deactivate or delete it?
      When a user passes away, we memorialize their account to protect their privacy. Memorializing an account removes certain sensitive information (e.g., status updates and contact information) and sets privacy so that only confirmed friends can see the profile or locate it in search. The Wall remains so that friends and family can leave posts in remembrance. Memorializing an account also prevents all login access to it.

You can memorialize a page by visiting:

• PercussionQueen7 says:

I’ve got a problem. My brother was in a bad accident a year and a half ago, and obviously hasn’t logged in since. But, he’s not dead – just incapacitated. Do we “memorialize” the account, or keep it open in hopes that he’ll be able to use it again someday, when he recovers enough?

5. obits3 says:

Ghost in Shell of Facebook?

6. namcam says:

will facebook even be around in 2015? remember myspace?

7. Groanan says:

Facebook will be around in 2015? I find that highly unlikely.

In a few years there will be a surge of privacy and security issues.
    Google will implement reverse image search & facial recognition (or someone else will).

These two combined will make it possible to have an iPhone App that, when the camera sees a person, pulls up their social networking profiles and every photo of them (and people who look like them) on the web.

The ability to find strangers on the highway at their homes because of their social network profiles will become a reality.

Sexual predators will have a much easier time hunting children.

There will be a pseudonym revolution, and sites like Facebook, that use real names and attach those names to pictures, will become as Myspace is today.

8. TerpBE says:

I have a pending friend request from someone who died. I don’t know whether to accept or ignore it.

• DeadFlorist says:

You should accept it, of course, then post a message on their wall to the effect of “Nobody is going to believe you’re really dead if you keep friending people on facebook.”

9. duxup says:

It will be even worse after the Zombie Apocalypse.

10. dave731 says:

Who will tend their fake farms .. wow Willie Nelson will have to launch a Farmville Aid 2016 to feed all their fake chickens and cattle.

11. lovemypets00 - You'll need to forgive me, my social filter has cracked. says:

This is another great example of how things have changed in the last 20 years or so. No one used to worry about their digital life living on somehow after they pass away.

Being the planner that I am, I have a little notebook with all my website user names and passwords tucked away in case of my untimely demise. I hope my family will be able to go through it and log out/cancel my name from different sites. And get money from my online savings account!!

• chocolate1234 says:

Add a POD to that online savings account, otherwise your family will have to go through probate court. It’ll be faster and easier for your family if you already have a person designated to withdraw the money in the event of your death.

12. Kodai says:

BRAINS!!!!

13. yosemitemtb says:

I have a friend who passed away last month. His FB page has become a place where his friends can share stories and exploits but I see that activity waning already.

• SugarMag says:

That’s a good use for it. I have a friend who died in June and this FB is still his smiling face on his sailboat. No one has his password and no one lately has thought about how to shut it down.

I look at it now and then to remember him as he was.

14. soj4life says:

A tenth of the users on facebook will die in the next 5 years? The death rate for our country is not that high.

15. Bella_dilo17 says:

Well, I’ve had 3 Facebook friends die in the last year, all under 16 years old. (Suicides).

Two were still up, but not used. (No wall), and one was deleted because people were tagging her in photos of her urn.