How To Turn A McRib Into A Hawaiian Thanksgiving

With only a couple weeks to go before the McRib disappears into obscurity again, true fans of the pork-ish McDonald’s sandwich are trying to get their fill. And now, thanks to Erik Trinidad, the mad genius behind Fancy Fast Food, they can even enjoy their favorite treat on Thanksgiving.

Starting with one McRib (extra onions), a Filet-O-Fish, two side salads, a large fry and a McCafe Wild Berry Smoothie, Trinidad crafts his takes on Kalua pig, lomi-lomi salmon and poi.

The recipe requires slicing and trimming of the McRib meat (after the sauce is rinsed off), trimming off all the breading from the Filet and mixing it with the McRib onions and tomatoes from the salads, and pureeing the fries — with a hint of Wild Berry Smoothie — into a starchy concoction.

So it certainly looks a lot more like restaurant food than it did when it started — after all, the site’s motto is, “Yeah, it’s still bad for you — But see how good it can look!” — but how does it taste?

Consumerist talked to Mr. Trinidad about his latest creation to see how things turned out:

The “Kalua pig” out of McRib pretty much tasted like a McRib, sans barbecue sauce. The lomi-lomi-o-fish was actually pretty good; the blend of vegetables from the side salad and the non-breaded fish made it taste pretty legit. The McPoi out of mashed fries and some berry smoothie was pretty disgusting; in fact, every time I mash up french fries into a potatoey mush, it’s pretty vile, whether it’s faux Hawaiian or not.

Speaking of his other creations, over at WomansDay.com, they have a round-up of their faves from the site, including Spicy Chicken Sushi (made from Popeyes), the Wendy’s Napoleon and the Taco Bellini.

Hawaiian Thanksgiving (Fancy McRib and Filet-O-Fish) [Fancy Fast Food]

Comments

1. axhandler1 says:

More so than how, I would like to know why.

2. Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

“How to Turn ____ Into a Hawaiian _____ “

Add Spam and pineapple.

The End.

• LadySiren is murdering her kids with HFCS and processed cheese says:

Dude, I’m gagging just thinking about perverting lomi-lomi salmon with a Filet o’ Fish over here. What’s next? A Big Mac lau lau? The Spam and pineapple would’ve made it at least edible.

Haoles. Can’t live with ‘em, can’t eat them legally. /sigh

3. Alvis says:

I thought to do a Hawaiian Thanksgiving you needed at least three girls and a saddle?

• Caged Wisdom says:

Congratulations, you will have caused an Urban Dictionary entry to be created within the next twenty-four hours. :)

• lucky13 says:

You owe me a new keyboard…I seriously doubt I will read anything that funny for years to come!

4. raydee wandered off on a tangent and got lost says:

I felt a little ill reading that the fries were puree’d. I’m not suprised that it turns out nasty. Once a potato becomes a french fry, the only thing you can do is eat it hot out of the fryer, with a dip or ketchup of your choice. I’ve only ever encountered one kind of fry that was actually *good* cold, from a small family restaurant in NC, and two that were just okay when cold.

5. HogwartsProfessor says:

Ha ha, that’s great. I’m going to check out that site.

Those Wild Berry Smoothies are GOOD.

6. TerpBE says:

I was at a McDonald’s on Oahu that had Haupia pies. They need to bring that to the mainland.

7. XTC46 says:

As a hawaiian this disgusts me. Kalua pig is delicious.

Ive killed a pig, cleaned it, built the imu to cook it in, cooked it, shredded (using 2 of its own ribs), seasoned and ate a pig, That is kalua pig, not a Rinsed off McRib.

Lomi Lomi is a preperation…so no, this is not lomi lomi anything. Its fried fish mixed with tomato. So unless he was massaging the tomato and fish to mix them, then this is not lomi lomi.

Seriously, this is trash and offends me.

• BBP says:

I’m offended that they refer to a McRib as “meat”!!

• minjche says:

Don’t worry about it too much. If someone is thinking they can legitimately turn McDonalds food into authentic Hawaiian cuisine, it’s not like you have to value their opinion very highly.

• XTC46 says:

I know, I just like to feign concern for silly things.

• minjche says:

Well if it makes you happy, someday I’ll take a trip to Hawaii and after reading your comment I now I have 2 things to add to my list of stuff to try.

Now about this whole money thing …

• Tongsy says:

Stop taking yourself so seriously.

• LadySiren is murdering her kids with HFCS and processed cheese says:

See my comments above. As a fellow Hawaiian, I’m not offended but I am rather grossed out.

• jackbishop says:

Eh, they piss on _every_ culture’s cuisine over there. Lomi lomi-o-fish isn’t that much more offensive than an Arby’s roast beef carpaccio or a Baja Fresh burrito bouillabaise.

8. yessongs says:

This is an insult to all the Hawaiians in the world. YUCK!!!

9. Daverson says:

The title of this article should be “How to Gild A Turd.”

10. narcs says:

seems like… oh whats the phrase i’m looking for.. you know the one that means complete waste of time… damn, its on the tip of my tongue… I want to say waste of time but I know thats probably not it.

11. Sian says:

Thanks guys, for reminding me how I can’t get proper Hawaiian BBQ in Florida.

Assholes.

12. hotcocoa says:

This is really rather stupid. Who buys processed, fatty, sodium-rich crap already stripped of it’s resemblance of real food and molded into faux-appetizing food and tries to make it into some other dish that’s actually tasty?
    What’s next, an article about how to turn their McChicken sandwiches into Peking Duck?

13. phallusu says:

the horror … the unspeakable horrror