Alec Baldwin Really Loves Wegmans

Alec Baldwin has been nominated for an Oscar, won Emmys and Golden Globes, stars in a hit sitcom and can basically do whatever he wants with his free time. And it looks like the Glengarry Glen Ross star has decided to spend that time filming in upstate New York… for Wegmans grocery stores.

After talking about his mother’s love of Wegmans — which is the subject of a bizarre lawsuit over the letter “W” — during an appearance on the Late Show With David Letterman last May, and now he’s the star of two ads shot at the same Syracuse-area store at which his mom shops.

From Syracuse.com:

In one commercial promoting Wegmans $6 meals, a suit coat-wearing Alec Baldwin says, “I can’t get a cup of coffee in New York for six dollars.” In the commercial hawking cakes and pies, Alec Baldwin quickly snaps up a finger full of frosting from the side of a cake as two employees look on. “Well I don’t want to bother my mother with choosing, so let’s just have one of each,” he tells the employees.

We have to admit that we have a deep and abiding admiration for Mr. Baldwin, but these spots (watch ‘em below) are on the threshold of earning nominations for next year’s Worst Ad In America competition.

Speaking of which, we’re now accepting nominees and category suggestions for the next WAIA. Just e-mail them to tips@consumerist.com with “WAIA” in the subject line.

Alec Baldwin’s Wegmans commercials air just in time for the holidays [Syracuse.com]

Comments

1. Murph1908 says:

He has also shown himself to be a verbally abusive dick of the greatest magnitude.

2. Foot_Note says:

whooo! Wegmans rules!

3. CaughtLooking says:

Not even close to being the worst ad in America.

• elganador says:

Yes – I don’t see where that label got affixed. They seem as genuine and homespun as a commercial for supermarket chain can be.

• minjche says:

Ha true, even if it was just a video of 10 people sculpting margarine into the the shape of Lou Diamond Phillips, the goodness of Wegmans would overcome and make the commercial a hit.

4. MaxH42 thinks RecordStoreToughGuy got a raw deal says:

He should have done the commercials as Jack Donaghy.

5. Judah says:

Wegmans is the best grocery store in upstate NY. Their prices are competitive, they have awesome chocolate chip cookies, and they actually pay a living wage to their employees.

• Laura Northrup says:

You are wrong. Wegmans is the best grocery store IN THE UNIVERSE.

• daveSH says:

Absolutely!! (According to the Consumerist’s owner, at least best in the US).

Those of us who were raised with Wegmans know this when we leave the area!

• s25843 says:

I live in Boston, and fly to Buffalo a few times a year. I make it a point to visit Wegmans when i’m out there, because its such a joy to shop at!

• coffeeculture says:

I agree…glad they have stores in Jersey and parts of PA. They really take care of their customers.

• BurtReynolds says:

Also now the best store in the Virginia suburbs of DC.

When I moved here from Syracuse I was thinking I would be Wegmans-less for the first time in my life, but little did I know, they had expanded here already. The only problem is it is a bit too popular and aren’t open 24/7 anymore. Grocery shopping at midnight is actually a very relaxing experience.

• nbs2 says:

And will soon be the best in the Maryland suburbs. Five minutes away, currently under construction.

Dare I say I’m tempted to get a part time job, just because?

• MaxH42 thinks RecordStoreToughGuy got a raw deal says:

Where??? All we have in our area of MoCo is Harris Teeters, which are OK, but they’re no Wegman’s.

• BurtReynolds says:

They just opened one in PGC. I don’t know if there are any plans in Montgomery. You’d think there would be.

• mac-phisto says:

worked there when i was a youngin. one of the best jobs i ever had, in terms of “workplace environment”. they truly understand that happy employees = happy customers.

6. CaughtLooking says:

Yeah, but do they sell Cheesy Blasters?

• PTB315 says:

You take a hot dog, stuff it with some jack cheese, fold it in a pizza! You got cheesy blasters! And then all the kids say ‘thanks Meat Cat!’ and then Meat Cat flies away on his um… skateboard.

7. HaveSomeCheese says:

It’s obvious they paid him in $6 meals.

8. Wes_Sabi says:

Wegmans needs to advertise? I judge all other supermarkets against them and they all are found (severely) lacking, especially here in Chicago. Someone send me some of their black & white cookies!

• teke367 says:

They are awesome. The only supermarket around me (in NJ) that sells alcohol, and cheaper than the ShopRite by me.

My only problem with them is that there is a small section of the store where they try getting cute with the ailes, and its hard to navigate through them with a cart.

I’m not one to get excited over a grocery chain, but I’d do commercials for Wegmans if I were Alec Baldwin.

9. mischlep says:

Did you hear the Alec Baldwin NPR pledge drive promos?

10. Dragon Tiger says:

Interesting to know they still have the same guy doing voiceovers that they had decades ago when I was growing up in Rochester.

11. lettucefactory says:

[Slightly Related Anecdote]

There was an article in the Washington Post Sunday Magazine sometime in the past couple of years…they were doing this contest to hold an “anti-wedding” for a couple who wanted to do something cheap and low-key.

The winning couple threw out several ideas, their favorite of which was to get married in Wegmans. Sadly, the company said no: “The Dulles Wegmans and the company headquarters say no. If we let you do it, they explain, everyone will want to. (Everyone?) “

Alec Baldwin does not have the market cornered on this Wegmans devotion.

12. MaxH42 thinks RecordStoreToughGuy got a raw deal says:

The first one is awful, mostly because he’s looking off above the camera, which is weird. The second one is cute, because that looks like that’s really his mom in the commercial with him.

• BurtReynolds says:

It is. She lives around Syracuse. Around Christmas one year when I was back in Syracuse from college, my buddies and I were at a pool hall and (most of) the Baldwin brothers came strolling in to hang out. It was a dive kind of place too. Everyone in the place left them alone as well.

• bonzombiekitty says:

It is. My fiance used to work in the pharmacy at that Wegmans and would fill her prescriptions.

13. Cicadymn says:

I think he’s also a big fan of screaming at young girls.

14. raybury says:

Don’t get me wrong, I love Wegmans, especially once they’ve put a few stores into a local market area so they get past the new-in-town crowded-as-hell stage. (Ditto for Sonic restaurants.) But I think of Alex as more of a Balducci’s shopper.

Actually, I think this just raised my opinion of other Balducci’s shoppers.

15. citrus538 says:

I was so sad when the original Wegmans closed : ( It was the only grocery store within walking distance of UR.

• tbiscuit360 says:

Taking the bus to Pittsford and Marketplace on Saturdays and Sundays isn’t all that bad- especially now that there is their own private bus line and not those yucky city buses. However, now there is Chipotle within walking distance of UR :)

• Coles_Law says:

There’s one on Brooks Ave too. That Wegmans near UR was really run down. They closed it while I was there.

Where’d the Chipotle’s go in? Not that I’d choose them over Pelligrino’s subs, but still, more options are always nice.

16. sopmodm14 says:

he’s got a point, Weg’s is one of the best places to shop

they’re supposedly one of the best companies nationally to work for

ironically, their service said they were hiring, as a college student, i pretty much had open availability, but they said they weren’t hiring for my store

• BurtReynolds says:

When I was in HS, Wegmans was the hot job to get because it wasn’t run like the pit of misery many other retail or food service jobs are.

Not to mention, more than a few guys I knew that had jobs with Wegmans in HS kept those jobs during college and stayed there after college. Wegmans has no problem promoting from within and many of them even had scholarship money from Wegmans to help them along.

17. minjche says:

It seems that Mr. Baldwin and I share a love for Wegmans.

The commercials may be crappy but the stores live up to these promises.

18. thewildboo says:

aw, that was my Wegman’s when I was at school. They need to open in Connecticut.

19. jaymer says:

I went to school in Rochester, NY (Go Tigers!) and Wegman’s quickly grew to become one of my favorite parts of the Rochester experience (they’re ALWAYS open!).

Now i’m stuck in Northern California and Safeway doesn’t hold a candle to Wegmans. I’m not a fan of Alec Baldwin’s personal views, but I love him in 30 Rock, and these commercials!

-Jamie

• Rachacha says:

As a Rochester native & RIT grad, now living in the DC area, I could not turn down the opportunity to attend an RIT Alumni event at the new Wegmans. I now only have to wonder if the President of the United States still visits Wegmans when they visit Upstate NY now that there are several in the DC area. :-)

20. pittstonjoma says:

Wegman’s is my favorite supermarket. Love it! They have the best selection around here.

21. CBenji says:

I have always loved Wegmans. I used to shop at the one in Johnson City which was always swamped, but now I go to one in DIckson City, PA which is a bit less busy. I have had my card since 1992, and I only just now got a new one since the magnetic strip died. I thought Alec was good in a lot of his movies, but sometimes he gets a little crazy with his mouth. There are a lot of people like that.

22. Alex says:

I do love Wegmans. My respect for Mr. Baldwin definitely increased tremendously.

Is this a possible candidate for best ad in America? Ok…maybe that is going to far.

23. lockdog says:

My grandmother had a cottage up on Lake Ontario, not too far from Sackett’s Harbor. The Baldwin’s apparently had a place nearby, since we would occasionally see them on the beach. They seemed like normal people to my 12 year old self. In fact, a vacation place on the lake their is about the most unpretentious way possible to have a second home, since it’s freezing 10 months of the year, and the beaches are alternately covered with seaweed or zebra mussels. The homes and cottages are mostly trailer or rickety cabins off the dunes, no fancy McMansions here, and more than a 1/4 mile inland and you are mostly looking at corn, cows or apples.

24. lidor7 says:

Man, I’ve never seen or heard of Wegmans, but all these comments make me wish there was one in Seattle.

• AK47 - Now with longer screen name! says:

Seriously. I mean, my grocery store’s good and all, but not good enough to inspire this level of devotion.

My curiosity, it is piqued . . .

• Rachacha says:

To get a taste, just look at thei press photos. While these photos are staged, the cleanliness and variety and presentation is like this every day of the year, the only thing that changes is the number of customers in the store.

I have been a fan of Wegmans since the day I was born, and “non wegman people” think I am nuts thinking that a grocery store can inspire so much passion…until they visit a store and they just walk around in awe.

Also look at how they compare to other typical grocery stores:
      How Wegmans Supermarkets Compare with Others

More like a European open-air market:
      Dazzling displays of fresh produce, artisan breads and other baked goods hot from the oven several times a day. Displays of fresh-caught seafood, meat, deli products and imported cheeses, international foods—plus all the groceries and household items usually found in supermarkets.

More choice than possibly any other supermarket chain:
      More than 70,000 products, compared to an average of just over 40,000 (according to the Food Marketing Institute) in most supermarkets. Take cheese, for example: Wegmans usually has 300 specialty cheeses on hand.

Larger than most supermarkets:
      (We need room for all that stuff!) Stores run 80,000 to 140,000 square feet in size. Aisles are unusually spacious.

Wegmans offers more customer convenience services and “stores within a store” than possibly any other supermarket chain. Many of Wegmans’ stores, though not all, have the following:

•Market Cafés —offering take-out or in-store dining, with seating for 100 to upwards of 500.
      â—¦Restaurant-quality entrees, soups, appetizers, gourmet sandwiches and side dishes
      â—¦Sushi
      â—¦Old Fashioned Sub Shop
      â—¦Coffee Shop
      â—¦Wokery Buffet and Fresh Food bar
      â—¦Seafood and Asian Bars, with counter seating, where chefs prepare made-to-order dishes
      â—¦Pizza and Wings
      •Ready-to-cook entrees in our Meat and Seafood departments.
      •Bakery — European breads and rolls baked in a brick oven; water-boiled bagels, muffins, pies, cakes, and pastries.
      •Pâtisserie — An authentic French pastry shop, created by one of Paris’ top pastry chefs, Pierre Hermé.
      •Deli & Cheese Shop — Hundreds of meats and specialty cheeses, many imported.
      •Nature’s Marketplace — Natural foods, supplements, herbal remedies, and foods for special dietary needs.
      •Food from Around the World — Italian, Asian, Indian, Latino/Hispanic, Kosher, British, and German.
      •Pharmacy
      •Complements — Cookware, tableware, and accessories.
      •Floral Shop, Greeting Cards and Gift Shop
      •Cosmetics; Bath and Body
      •Wkids Fun Centers — Where kids ages 3 to 8 can play while their parents shop.

• hotdogsunrise says:

There are people that fly into Rochester (and I wouldn’t be surprised if they flew into Buffalo as well… not Syracuse because the airline prices are too damn high!) just to visit Wegmans. They’re usually displaced NYers.

After living in other areas without Wegmans… I understand why someone would do that.

25. DanKelley98 says:

Hardly bad. Production values….well? But hardly bad.

26. PLATTWORX says:

NOTHING against Wegman’s, but I hope they gave money to a charity he loves or his family owns part of the company. You don’t do movies, be on a hit show and do $6 meal ads for a supermarket. Yikes.

27. pandroid says:

I was in a couple of P&C commercials as a child, but sadly, never got to do any Wegmans commercials. But I’m no Alec Baldwin either.

• hotdogsunrise says:

Producers and Consumers? I’m sad they went bankrupt because, regardless of their troubles, they were a Syracuse-based chain. Not many of those anymore…

28. Emily says:

Who doesn’t love Wegmans? Good for him.

29. MrEvil says:

Probably the one reason to move to the Texas Panhandle, United Supermarkets does very well in being like Wegman’s. They always end up high on the best places to work in the region, their stores are well maintained and the staff doesn’t hate their job. They seem to compensate their employees well, every time I’d go into the store by my old house I’d always see the same people.

They opened up 6 Market Street stores in the DFW area, hopefully they’ll build one in the Austin area before too long and kick the crap out of HEB.

• gman863 says:

Why are you hating on H-E-B? In Houston, H-E-B beats the crap out of both Kroger and Randall’s (Safeway) on variety, freshness, customer service and prices.

I remember and loved Wegman’s from when my grandmother took me shopping there as a child in Rochester. H-E-B is a hell of a lot closer to Wegman’s benchmark than anyone else in South Texas.

If you want Supermarkets from Hell, move to Alabama or Mississippi. Other than the few cities where Publix has opened, your choices are roach traps like Winn-Dixie and Greer’s or Wal-Mart.

30. glp1233 says:

“…. on the threshold of earning nominations for next year’s Worst Ad In America competition?” It must be a very slow news day at Consumerist. For all of those who don’t have a Wegman’s in their area, remember that jealousy is a green eyed monster.

BTW, anyone who says that they haven’t raised their voices to their kids at some time is lying.

• hotdogsunrise says:

Exactly. If everyone had recordings of them when upset at their children/loved ones, then everyone would be abhorred.

31. damageddude says:

What’s not to love?

I have a Wegmans a 1/2 mile from my home and there are several in my area of NJ but I have never seen or heard a Wegmans TV or radio ad. Interestingly though, other companies mention them in their ads (ex: located on Route 9, next to Wegmans).

32. pinkbunnyslippers says:

What’s funny is nobody in those commercials even seem phased by him there. I remember standing behind him in line at the Blockbuster on Erie Blvd years ago lol. He is seriously a Syracuse staple….much like Wegs! I’m so glad they made the move to VA, I’m not sure what I’d do without them 4 miles from my house :)