34 Uses For Toothpaste Outside Of Your Mouth

Yes, toothpaste is important for keeping your teeth clean and whole, but it also has many interesting uses around the house. Our friends at Coupon Sherpa compiled a list of 35 users for the wondergel, some of which may not have occurred to you.

Logically, most of them involve cleaning things other than teeth, but not all of them. A few surprising highlights:

Carpet Stains
Squeeze toothpaste onto the stain, scrub with a toothbrush, rinse and repeat until the stain is gone. Not much different than brushing your teeth, is it?

Crayon on Painted Walls
Children, crayons and walls are natural attractants. But no worries. Just gently rub a damp cloth and some toothpaste on your little-one’s artwork. Rinse with a clean, wet cloth and dry.

Coffee Table Water Rings
This is an oldie but goody: Simply rub some toothpaste into the irritating ring with a soft cloth and wipe dry with a clean, damp cloth.

Headlights
The dings and scratches sustained by headlight glass defuses the light and makes it harder to see. Eliminate this haze by thoroughly cleaning the headlight, then rubbing in a glob of toothpaste. Follow up with a good buffing to even out the glass, either by hand or with the buffer on an electric drill.

Have you tried any of these toothpaste tricks? How did they work? I’m skeptical of the tip to smear toothpaste on a skunk-sprayed dog, for example, if only because toothpaste can be poisonous to dogs, and my dog loves to eat it. And tomato juice is cheaper.

35 Uses for Toothpaste That Don’t Involve Your Teeth [Coupon Sherpa]

Comments

1. Joe_Bloe says:

When I lived in the dorms in college, they were bare cinderblock walls painted industrial light blue. We put some holes in the wall when we hung posters and stuff. We had no idea how bad they looked until we took everything down when we were getting ready to move out. We had to come up with something fast, so we just squirted some Crest in the holes. It dried and looked almost indistinguishable from the rough texture of the cinderblock. Got our deposit back!

2. GuJiaXian says:

Crayon on painted walls? *Anything* on walls (painted or otherwise)? There a Magic Eraser for that… (Plus you don’t have to wash toothpaste off your wall when you’re done.)

• LightningUsagi says:

At least 9 of these are things that the Magic Eraser could do much easier.

• Preyfar says:

True, but if you have sensitive fingertips… even touching a Magic Eraser can be a nightmarish experience. If one of those things touches my hands I freak out. Against sensitive fingertips, it’s truly a horrific experience with their microporous squishiness.

So toothpaste? Comes in handy.

• El-Brucio says:

I feel that way about those microfiber chenille blankets and throws. After the horror of touching them with my hands, I wonder how anyone could bear to cover their body with one.

• veritybrown says:

I agree–Magic Eraser is an awesome product. I’ve even seen it take off most of the marks from a Sharpie marker. Not all, alas, but since most products don’t even *touch* permanent marker stains, I was impressed.

3. Skellbasher says:

Using it to defog goggles is no joke.

When I first started scuba diving, my instructors talked about doing that to your mask so you wouldn’t have to constantly use defogging drops. I thought it was joke, but I did it, and it was like magic. It really worked.

It basically scrubs off the oily film that’s a side effect of the manufacturing process without damaging the glass itself. It’s a wonderful trick.

4. lymer says:

Growing up, I always heard that toothpaste on a bee stick makes the pain go away.

5. Gunner21 says:

This falls under the zit cream thingy. Cold-sores. As soon as you feel that tingle,itch, slap some Colgate (white) on there it should kill the bacteria and dry up the sore before it gets out of hand. Tooth Paste works 100x better than any OTC med you can buy.

6. chiieddy says:

My father in law lobsters and swears by toothpaste for getting the bad fish smells off his hands after a day on the boat.

• tbax929 says:

That’s the first time I’ve seen the word lobsters used as a verb. I had to re-read your comment a couple of times to figure out what you were talking about! New one on me.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

Bob Loblaw’s Law Lobster Blog?

• chiieddy says:

It’s legit slang.

If you’re a lobsterman, you lobster when you go lobstering. Of course, many Maine-isms are a bit weird. One of my first memories of him was him saying the snow was as high as a giraffe’s balls out there.

:-)

• The Porkchop Express says:

I thought lobsters was his nickname at first. And I know some crabbers, they crab.

7. Holybalheadedchrist! says:

Did you know you can straight up just rub it in your hair?

Or hey, you can also throw a tube of toothpaste out of a window. Jeepers!

Did you know Richard Nixon used toothpaste when he went to China, making it wonderful for diplomacy?

Toothpaste, from the Latin, Toothus (tooth) Pastius (goop), was not available in Roman Times?

Toothpaste can also be used as every part of speech. Observe: “Don’t toothpaste that joint, bro.” or “After three Four Loko’s I was as toothpasted as a syphilis-maddened hick.”

Toothpaste means nothing spelled backward.

It is occasionally used for the cleaning of teeth and tongues. Crazy!

Imagine my surprise when the landlady living downstairs told me toothpaste would stop the neighbor dog’s unwanted affections.

Truly, this toothpaste is a marvel!

8. Scrutinizer says:

Great rule 34 for tooth paste. Read below at your own risk.

9. Nigerian prince looking for business partner says:

Toothpaste works well for removing wax stains that get on the matte plastic trim pieces on a car.

10. sirwired says:

The headlight thing isn’t gonna work. Headlights are not so soft that you are going to be able to polish them shiny with the mega-mild abrasives in toothpaste in any reasonable amount of time. 3M sells a wonderful kit for $15 or so that works… It requires a power drill, 20 minutes, a whole pile of the included sanding discs and paste polish.

• Marlin says:

If you use whitening toothpaste it does work… somewhat ok.

Regular toothpaste does not have the abrasives that the whitening has. I have done it but would take a long time.
      I agree the products made for that work better and faster. But a good strong whitening toothpaste will help a little.

11. speedwell (propagandist and secular snarkist) says:

Article refers to needing a professional cleaner to clean vomit stains from old cats (did they misread “old car vomit stains”?). My housekeeper uses diluted ammonia, scrubbed well in, and neutralized with diluted vinegar. Works a treat

What did I just say? Christ, I’m the only person I know who picks up accents in writing. Cheers from the South Coast of Devon. :)

12. llcooljabe says:

I have heard they’re good for those huge unsightly zits. Juts dab a little on overnight, and in the morning,presto.

Can anyone confirm?

• SonarTech52 says:

It does seem to work, it might have to be the whitening kind.. Im thinking the hydrogen peroxide helps..

• veritybrown says:

I’ve never tried leaving toothpaste on a zit, but when I was teenager panicking about acne, I did use the stuff to scrub my face (washed it off afterward) and it seemed to make a difference.

My 11yo daughter is currently in that unpleasant phase where personal hygiene hasn’t caught up with the need for it yet, and when she lets too many blackheads build up on her face, I hog-tie her and use whitening toothpaste as a facial scrub–it works remarkably well.

• sprybuzzard says:

Yes it does work, I have used it with some success, though now I use a sulpher paste that works almost 100% of the time.

• Michaela says:

It does work well as a spot treatment. I wouldn’t use it as a complete face mask though.

13. adamstew says:

Not on the list: Toothpaste will remove permanent marker.

14. ahecht says:

Just remember NOT to use whitening toothpaste for any of these. Whitening toothpaste has coarser particles in it which can and will scratch the plastic/wood/paint you are trying to clean.

15. cameronl says:

It’ll polish a scratched up watch crystal real nice.

16. and_another_thing says:

Hopefully my headlights will never need to be defused.

Diffusion I can handle.

• Mr. Fix-It says: "Canadian Bacon is best bacon!" says:

Yeah I was gonna point that out myself:

“Haaang on a second; my wave mechanics textbook doesn’t say anything about bombs!”

17. NoThankYou says:

In your Office

36. Cleaning White Boards.

18. LaurelHS says:

I’m tempted to try the tip about putting toothpaste on a scratched CD, but I’m concerned that putting a foreign substance on the disc could just make things worse. Has anyone tried this one?

19. JulesNoctambule says:

Plain paste toothpaste (not gel, not whitening) makes a great polish for silver in a pinch.

20. cozynite says:

The burn thing is real. When I was a waitress, I had gotten a burn on my hand that was pretty bad. My skin was extremely inflamed and was starting to blister. After putting my hand in ice water, my boss slathered Aqua Fresh on my hand and instructed me to let it dry. 15 minutes later, the burn was gone. I keep toothpaste in the drawer next to the stove now.

• webweazel says:

I can attest to this, too. When I was a kid, I got a drip of hot frying oil on my thigh. My aunt ran and got toothpaste. She put a bit on there and I left it there during dinner. After dinner, I cleaned it off, and there wasn’t even a red mark on my skin. I think it needs to be specifically paste, and mint to work. But yeah, it does work.

21. Raving House says:

I have used it to polish the plastic canopies on model airplanes. Makes them clear as glass.

22. carefree dude says:

It can be used as a sexual stimulant for women and some men.

23. budgetingincome says:

I use it to clean scratches from my cd when my cd skips. Apply to the scratch and rub with a cloth against the cd groove. Of course that was the time when we still have cds. Wonder if it works with mp3 file.

24. purecajn says:

An old toothbrush and a glob of toothpaste is great for cleaning tarnished jewelry

25. SG-Cleve says:

Our XBox scratched a ring into a game DVD and it would not play. I tried to remove the scratch with toothpaste. It made the scratch less noticeable, but the game still woudn’t work.

26. Seano666 says:

I’ve used it on headlights, works pretty decent. Basically, it’s good as a buffing compound. Same thing car painters use to make your crappy old paint look like new. Same thing you paid $19.99 for a 1-ounce tube for cause you saw it on TV.

27. CFinWV says:

With a soft toothbrush it makes awesome jewelry cleaner.

28. jbandsma says:

Uh, they forgot one thing…those uses should be done with NON-gel toothpaste. The gel style will just make a mess.

29. bluetech says:

In college, I learned toothpaste was supposed to be good for helping to get rid of hickys on your neck.

30. SillyMama says:

I, um, used to use it to clean, uh, water smoking apparatuses in a past life, though I think it was the paste and not the gel. Surprisingly, I can’t remember.

31. Ratran says:

At the house I am renting has an ant problem. I found out that the little buggers were coming from a badly installed window.

My soon to be ex-landlord is very slow on getting repairs done. I didn’t want to buy any caulking so I grabbed my toothpaste and just used it as caulking. Let him deal with it after I move out.