My Freschetta Suffers From Male Pattern Baldness

Reader signup6 feels conned by his Freschetta Flat Bread Pizza box. That single sliver of pepperoni is all that remains from what possibly was once a healthy mane of processed red meat before it all fell out.

He writes:

Check out the amount of pepperoni on the pizza on the box, and then look at what I got — 1/4 of one piece of pepperoni!

(Not to mention that the other ingredients — sausage and salami — are not as plentiful as the box represents, either.)

I emailed the Freschetta company a week ago on 11/7/10, but they have not seen fit to respond to my email.

Henceforth, the lack of proper toppings on frozen food shall be known as Freezer Burn. Singup6 hopes he’s the only victim, but I’m guessing you have some stories that can match his.

Comments

1. Burzmali says:

This is why I go for Red Baron if I’m getting pizza for myself and DiGiorno if I’m getting it for a few folks. I’ve never had a bad topping experience from either of those brands.

• seth_lerman says:

I’ll second the DiGiorno. For frozen pizza it does not disappoint.

• SonarTech52 says:

Ooh yeah, DiGiorno is awesome! The crust, mmmmm.

• klwillis45 says:

Red Baron & Freschetta are from the same company, Schwans.

• PencilSharp says:

For the record, Schwan’s Foods makes (in addition to all their home delivery stuff):
        *Tony’s (low-end pizza)
        *Red Baron’s (mid-tier pizza)
        *Freschetta (high-end pizza)
        *Mrs. Smith’s (pies)
        *Asian Sensations (frozen asian foods)
        *Edward’s (pies, frozen desserts)
        *Larry’s (potatoes)

p.s. Gawd, I’ve been in retail too long…

• Zachary Jacob Zblewski says:

They also make Walmart’s Great Value frozen pizzas, or they have in the past. They probably make other store brands too. I’ve come to think that if its in a box and it isn’t Digornio or California Pizza Kitchen, its probably Schwan’s.

• Burzmali says:

Well, if they’d put as much effort into their mid-tier pizza as they do into the high-tier one, maybe crap like this wouldn’t happen. Doesn’t change the fact that I’ve never had a Red Baron pizza be short on toppings. Tony’s, either, while we’re talking about Schwans pizzas. WTF is wrong with their Freschetta line?

• dolemite says:

I’ve never like Red Baron. Little too bland and thin for my taste, but DiGiorno is great.

• Snoofin says:

My problem with Red Baron is every time I buy one of their pepperoni pizzas the pepperonis are spread in an uneven pattern around the pizza. You would think by now they could find a way to symmetrically distribute the pepperonis.

2. Alvis says:

Did they fall out into the box, or weren’t there to begin with?

3. Venality says:

Really, the guy bought a frozen pizza without enough toppings, and it is worth posting about? If this was a wide spread fiasco because they were selling pepperoni under the table it might be worth talking about. As it is, how is this worth the email or the post?

• Mr. Fix-It says: "Canadian Bacon is best bacon!" says:

Because four TSA articles in one day would be gauche?

• Whtthfgg says:

Its not about “The toppings” in whole. Look back at the picture, specifically the pepperoni.

• Tongsy says:

They will post about this crap but one of the most major consumer issues for Canadians that is coming up doesn’t get a single mention anywhere.

This site is fucked

• Mephron says:

so send in a tip about it. if you want it to be seen, poke someone.

or. you know, whine like a Quebecois separatist.

4. Blueskylaw says:

Is it just me or does it look like that “sliver” of pepperoni was put there after the manufacturing process? It doesn’t look like it was even frozen compared to the color of everything else on the pizza.

5. Daverson says:

Holy shit, call the New York Times. This is REAL NEWS.

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

If you don’t like it, perhaps you should go read the NYT instead. Or, STFU.

• ARVash says:

The New York times has a frontpage about a doorman, this is actually more newsworthy as I sometimes purchase frozen pizza. Lack of pepperoni might actually impact my life, that doorman probably won’t.

6. EverCynicalTHX says:

These pretzels are making me thirsty!

7. Laines says:

Does the small print say “Serving Suggestion”? Maybe it’s more a kit than an actual fully realized pizza. Their focus studies have found that most consumers don’t like being tied down to a pre-made list of toppings and would rather build it themselves.

Plus, they made it smaller because folks were complaining it was “just too darn big.”

Anyone else remember “Consumers from Mars” by Dave Barry?

8. AngryK9 says:

Yeah. If that is the the worst thing that happens to the OP on any given day…

9. Oranges w/ Cheese says:

Since when has frozen food EVER looked as pictured on the box? Granted, this may be a bit much (for the pepperoni’s sake) but you expected more?

10. MPD01605 says:

Is it pronounced “Freshetta” or “Fresketta”? (The latter is how it should be pronounced if it’s “Italian”)

11. mandarynn says:

Phil’s next article: “Customer Purchases Bag of Chips and It Was Only HALF Filled with Chips!”

• nbs2 says:

Wow. I’m on the Phil-shouldn’t-be-allowed-to-comment-here-let-alone-post-stories bandwagon as much as anybody else, but I’m willing to let this slide. It isn’t any worse than the other GSR stories, and at least there you get notice that you are getting less than you used to.

• mandarynn says:

I mean yeah….but what is Freschetta supposed to do? Hire a Pepperoni Distribution Inspector? What good can come from this kind of a story?

• Hoot says:

At least the title was half-way witty and correct. Most of the time you can tell he didn’t even read the article and he uses an eye-catching, but blatantly false, title.

Maybe he likes frozen pizza.

12. Andyb2260 says:

Freschetta, Tony’s and Red Baron are all made by the same company. Freschetta “Premium” brand, Tony’s the “budget” brand and Red Baron is the middle child, and(to me at least)it tastes like they use the same sauce for all three brands. The only real difference being the crust of the pizza

• minjche says:

I haven’t tried Tony’s, but I agree there’s very similar sauces between Red Baron and Freschetta, with the most glaring similarity (to me) being the taste of anise/fennel. I didn’t know they were made by the same company, though, thanks for the pro tip.

13. Kat@Work says:

Best frozen pizza ever: Totino’s Party Pizza (Pepperoni) microwaved (must be on a regular plate, not Styrofoam or paper) for 6 min. YES. It gets hard and crispy around the edge.

What?

14. squirrel says:

I must second the DiGiorno. Also Newman’s pizza works out pretty well as well as a few of Trader Joe’s offerings.

15. nbs2 says:

I’m guessing he won’t get a response. A letter apologizing for dissatisfaction, claiming to take the matter seriously, and a couple of generous but not refunding coupons will probably show up in the mailbox in a few weeks.

16. Geekybiker says:

Digorno responded immediately when I contacted them about a problem and sent a coupon for a free pizza in the mail.

• PLATTWORX says:

DiGiorno is Nestle who knows how to respond to customers.. Schwan’s is Schwan’s, who knows how to ignore them.

17. swarrior216 says:

I always buy a bag of pepperoni and add more to it if i make a frozen pizza.

18. Macgyver says:

I call BS. Why is the pizza is frozen, except for that one pepperoni? Looks like he just put it on himself.

19. PLATTWORX says:

While clearly a production problem I will add that “the Freschetta company” is actually THE SCHWAN FOOD COMPANY (as in Schwan’s the frozen food/ice cream home delivery people), It’s part of the division of their company that sells to supermarkets many fo the same foods you’d pay double for if they said “Schwan’s” on them.

They are a privately held company who’s horrid customer service is a hallmark. My dealings with them in the past have been painful at best. The fact that they have not responded to your e-mail is typical.

20. Happy Tinfoil Cat says:

Dominoes is asking for photos of their pizzas and then using said photos in their ads as this-will-never-happen-again. Maybe they will send you a pizza for this photo (even though it’s not theirs). The problem with the Dominoes offer is that you’d have to actually buy one to photograph it and then give up all rights to the photo. I’d much rather post it here.

21. midwestkel says:

The box is what it looks like after you cook it. And don’t forget to add the toppings that are not included, that 1/4 pepperoni was a bonus!

22. Sonofek says:

Give them a call if you still have the box. They should have a number on the box, and you’ll need the UPC code.

I haven’t had a problem with Freschetta for years, but I’ve had a couple pizzas that turned out soggy. Every time I called them I gave them the UPC code, and had a free pizza coupon within a week.

• Firethorn says:

Pretty much; I’d send them the picture and complain; all it costs you is a bit of time. When I complained about the Breyer’s ice cream shrinking AGAIN they sent me some coupons for free ice cream.

I now refuse to buy any ice cream that’s not at least a half gallon in size, unless I’m deliberately looking for smaller; I feel that the extra packaging cuts into MY ice cream enjoyment.

23. Burzmali says:

Yeah, I even knew that before I wrote that post. I transposed the tiers for some reason.

24. dangermike says:

I would be really disappointed by that, too, since freschetta tastes so much better than any other frozen pizza I’ve ever tried. The difference is quality douh. It really is better than most of the big-name delivery houses. But it is worth noting that they also dice up pepperoni which is in and under the cheese. And also, since pepperoni doesn’t freeze well, I’d recommend getting the frozen cheese pizza and adding pepperoni from the deli section.

25. Kingeryck says:

Is this really worthy of a post? Bring it back and get a new one.

26. Razor512 says:

That is pretty much common, I have purchased frozen pizzas in the past got a pepperoni with 100% no pepperoni and barely any cheese, luckily walmart sells shredded cheese which I generally use to “top off” my frozen pizzas

27. framitz says:

There was no need to send email. Just call and complain, the number is clearly posted on their web site.

I’ve made those calls when a product was sub par and got free stuff as an apology.

IMHO this is no big deal and certainly not worthy of publication.

28. Awesome McAwesomeness says:

Really? You didn’t publish my story about Sears damaging my car and charging hundreds of dollars, but you publish shit about $5.00 boxed pizza? What high standards you have.

29. AR says:

Just make it yourself. Prebake pizza crust, sauce, cheese, pepperoni. So simple, might cost a bit more but you will never go wrong. I will never buy frozen pizza again, for some reason, the sauce that is used, for all of them, tatse the same.

30. Freschetta says:

Reader SignUp6

Our sincerest apologies for your recent experience with our Flat Bread Zesty Italian Pizza. The product you have shared in the photograph is not up to our standards and may have been the result of a manufacturing error. Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We also apologize for the tardy response from our customer service team. We were unable to locate an email regarding this issue, but we have no doubt that you sent it. We would appreciate if you would be willing to send an email to CPSCallbacks@schwans.com regarding this matter. We have alerted customer service and they will be ready to respond in a timely fashion once they receive your email.

Sincerely,