Meet The One-Woman Enron

A Texas mom has been accused of running her own miniature Enron in order to support her upper middle-class lifestyle and put her son through college. Basically, she borrowed from Peter to pay Paul to buy a Lexus and never paid Peter back.

She is accused filing false financial statements to borrow credit, buy natural gas from one company, and then sell it to another, without ever paying back the first company. Investigators say she was able to avoid detection for so long because of the traders she had befriended during her days working in the back offices of Enron and Halliburton.

Special Report: Was a Houston energy trader a one-woman Enron? [Reuters via Clusterstock]

Comments

1. Fallom says:

$10 says she gets more of a punishment than anyone involved with Enron.

• ShruggingGalt says:

Kenneth Lay was convicted for his crimes, and due to his “pre-used up all of his appeals time” death. his sentence was vacated, so it’s not like anybody didn’t get a punishment for what happened there.

• George4478 says:

I’ll take that bet. The longest Enron sentence I know of was Skilling’s 24 years, 4 months and a $45 million fine.

No way will she get nailed for that much.

2. Sunflower1970 says:

I can see it now. On the Showtime show ‘Weeds,’ Nancy will stop selling weed, and start her own energy company.

3. Can't Buy a Thrill says:

you’d think by now that Peter would have learned…

4. PencilSharp says:

Her biggest mistake: No shareholders. No shareholders means no voters pressuring bigwig politicians to play ball. 2nd mistake: no bribes. You gotta bribe the right guys at DOE and Congress to do this for long.

Otherwise, much more similar to Enron-esque corporate shenanigans that many businessmen (including yours truly) would care to admit.

5. Sandstar says:

“wtht vr pyng bck th frst cmpn.” Wtht vr? H, wh nt spnd sm mn, nd gt prfrdr? Wrd wn’t ctch wrds tht r splld crrctl.

• jivesukka says:

Thanks for clearing that up. I could not enjoy the article unless it was perfect. Good thing I got my ‘Consumerist Reader Gold Membership’ partially refunded due to that glaring typo.

6. Oranges w/ Cheese says:

Isn’t this a ponzi scheme?

• econobiker says:

Ponzi schemes are usually bringing in more private people marks to fund the earlier ones payouts. This looks like a general rip off scheme- take gas from entity and sell it to a second entity but keep the money from the sale and never pay the first entity.

I did love how the one company could “never locate assets” of her company to take when she had a judgment made against her company.

7. obits3 says:

When you rob Peter to pay Paul, you will always have the support of Paul =)

8. umbriago says:

I quit wondering why when I read….

To help keep her trading operation afloat, Roqumore pursued her gambling hobby…

…as that pretty much explains it. Those slots, they’re due.

9. theycallmeGinger says:

Don’t you mean “she borrowed from P to pay P to buy a [redacted] and never paid P back”?

(Wise-ass comment of the day…)

10. Happy Tinfoil Cat says:

I was seriously hoping she was getting a billion dollars back from the IRS without paying any taxes. I asked my CPA for the ‘Enron’ but he is too conservative. The government should be paying me instead of the other way around, like the big corps get.

11. tinyhands says:

Halliburton does not and has never had an energy trading back office. So, while it’s fun to bash them, it’s inaccurate and misleading. Next time a story comes up about rape and other physical assaults, by all means, drag Halliburton into it.

• Sudonum says:

where does it say that Haliburton ran a trading desk?
      Ben wrote:
      “Investigators say she was able to avoid detection for so long because of the traders she had befriended during her days working in the back offices of Enron and Halliburton.”

The linked to article states:

“According to a transcript of a creditors meeting for her bankruptcy case, Roqumore said she worked as an accountant in the oil and gas industry for 15 years at companies including Halliburton Co, Dynegy Inc and failed energy giant Enron Corp.

While she did not trade when working at those companies either as an employee or contract employee, she said she handled the back-office accounting after energy deals were done. In that role, Roqumore gained the knowledge needed to buy and sell natural gas and also developed relationships with traders.”

I don’t see any reference there to Haliburton trading gas or energy.

• Gulliver says:

No for rape and assaults we bring up the catholic cult

12. speedwell (propagandist and secular snarkist) says:

Wasn’t me, I swear!

4119 Montrose Blvd. was her business address, eh? Nice, trendy neighborhood, lots of money.