Top Posts Of The Week And Open Thread

Starbucks Baristas Nationwide Realizing They Work At A McDonald’s That Doesn’t Serve Burgers

Chef Doesn’t Quite Appreciate Reviews From Inbred, Jobless, Bored Yelp Users

GameStop Is Out Of The Game You Want? Order It For In-Store Pickup, Return 10 Minutes Later

Used SUVs & Trucks Costing More Than New Ones

Why Can’t We Resist These Classic Sales Pitches?

That is not a funny-looking cat as this week’s Open Thread mascot. It’s an alpaca. If you are gasping for your daily requirement of kitteh, please see this week’s Flickr Finds.

Comments

1. CrankyOwl says:

Alpaca lunch, let’s have a picnic!

2. dragonfire81 says:

Any other bloggers out there? I just started one of my own and I’m looking for advice on cost effective ways to promote it. Any and all help is appreciated. This blog is a side project, I have a regular job.

• Daverson says:

I have a few tips that have worked fairly well for me:
      – Follow and comment on other blogs you’re interested in. Some of their readers will click on your profile out of curiosity, find your blog, and become your readers, too.
      – Along the same lines, exchange links with other bloggers. Maintain a blogroll on a sidebar of places you like to visit – most of those bloggers will offer you a link exchange and you’ll get traffic from there, too.
      – Join a blog network. A couple of years ago, i joined Foodbuzz (a network of food bloggers) and my traffic almost immediately shot up.

3. slyabney says:

Alpaca! Aweomse!

What’s everyone doing this weekend? I’m getting a new hair do (exciting!), going shopping with my 30% off at Banana Republic/Gap/Old Navy for their Give & Get sale, and then doing the massive amounts of accounting homework so my Thanksgiving trip home won’t be junked up with school work.

• HogwartsProfessor says:

Nothing, probably, except go through my crap in the garage and make it ready to sell to suckers–I mean those fine people who show up when you have a garage sale. Also, try to figure out how to heat the garage when I have the sale because it’s getting colder now and I haven’t had time to do it.

All that work and I usually only net around $80-$90. :P

• InsertPithyNicknameHere says:

Well, I’m working on Christmas presents – have a couple of small afghans to crochet, and a scarf to knit. Beyond that, I have to work overtime this weekend. So, not much of a social life.

4. Kimaroo - 100% Pure Natural Kitteh says:

WOOHOOO!!

My birthday last weekend was really fun, but I didn’t buy that Woot FlipHD camera after all : / Sorry, no HD Kitteh videos.

This weekend is gonna be full of nothing and I can’t wait. YAY!

I ordered the parts for my car modification, so I hope to be driving REALLY SOON, possibly by the end of next week : )

• HogwartsProfessor says:

Birthday – Yay!
      Camera – awww.
      Driving – Yay!

Did you make rice cooker cake for yourself? Hee hee!

• Kimaroo - 100% Pure Natural Kitteh says:

No, I didn’t. My boss actually bought me TWO cakes.

She bought the first one because it was chocolatey and gooey and yummy looking, all chocolate. Then she bought the second one because they told her they couldn’t write my name on the first one.

Lol. She’s sweet : )

5. pop top says:

This weekend should be fun. My nephew is coming up to visit so we’re going to hit some places he’s never been (local cider mill) and maybe do some laser tag, which I’ve never done before. I’m excited! :D

6. SonarTech52 says:

I’m getting sick :( runny nose, coughing… may turn into bronchitis like it does most of the time..

But, my wife suprised m with COD: Black Ops they other day!! woohoo, I know what Ill be doing this weekend.

7. pecan 3.14159265 says:

Thanksgiving is in two weeks! Anyone have plans? I have to get together all of my magazines and cookbooks and choose how I’m preparing dishes this year. I’m making stuffing, green bean casserole, pie, rolls, cranberry sauce, ham, and probably a finger food of some kind. And gravy!

• Kimaroo - 100% Pure Natural Kitteh says:

I’m hoping that I’ll get to make it to my family reunion. We have it every year on Thanksgiving. It’s pretty awesome. Our family is huge because my grandma had 11 siblings, and they had kids, and they had kids.. and… well you know. Hehe.

If I do get to go I plan on making my famous, Roger Ebert-as-seen-on-Twitter promoted, Rice Cooker Cake. Perhaps I’ll even make a little Twitter sign on a toothpick to put on top. Hehe.

• Jfielder says:

The holidays will be rough this year…. In the past month my family has lost two grandparents…. :(

As for this weekend, I’ll be preparing to go get some meat for the freezer. November 15th (deer season, opening day in Michigan) is like a holiday here. Half of the office will be off on vacation.

• JulesNoctambule says:

I plan to have more pies than guests, because leftover pie for breakfast is one of my favourite post-Thanksgiving treats.

• HogwartsProfessor says:

I’m not going anywhere, probably. I’ve been looking forward to the four-day weekend for some time. My office is supposed to be open on Friday (I was like “Really?”) but I got the day off. Doesn’t matter; no one is going to call that day anyway. I don’t know what they were thinking.

I plan to get some work done and if it’s not too cold, maybe start with the kitchen painting.

8. SPOON - now with Forkin attitude says:

llama llama duck!

9. 333 (only half evil) says:

I heard a Christmas song on the radio on Tuesday of this week. None since.

10. LadySiren is murdering her kids with HFCS and processed cheese says:

The photo reminds me why I decided that my retirement plan involves an alpaca ranch.

• Sparkle Motion says:

I’ve always had the impression that alpaca ranching in the US was a bit of a pyramid scheme. There isn’t enough demand for the fiber* to maintain the costs of keeping the animals, and apparently they aren’t tasty to eat — so, the “value” of your alpacas is locked up in selling the progeny to the next aspiring alpaca farmer.

Maybe if you plan on spinning your own yarn and selling it as “artisanal” to people the right people you might be able to eke out a living?

*I am a knitter, so I understand how wonderful alpaca fiber is (for some applications) but apparently that knowledge hasn’t reached the general public/commercial fashion designers yet.

• slyabney says:

For Llamas and Alpaca, at least where I’m from, they’re good 4-H projects and their solid waste is a great fertilizer and practically free!

• LadySiren is murdering her kids with HFCS and processed cheese says:

Oh no – I just want an alpaca farm so I can hang out with ‘em. And maybe turn it into some sort of hybrid petting zoo, LOL.

There’s a farm here in NC that’s making pretty good money from yarn sales, as well as sales of items they’ve created with the yarn. They also use some of the yarn to make socks for US overseas troops (I think I heard it was good for those people who are allergic to wool). Sounds idea to me. :)

11. SonarTech52 says:

When I first seen this pic, I was thinking..Ohh, poor retarded kitteh..

12. cash_da_pibble says:

Picture makes me think of Emperor’s New Groove:
    “LLAMA-FACE!”

13. momtimestwo says:

Yesterday my Dr did a myringotomy on my right ear, now when I blow my nose air goes out my ear. No kidding. The procedure was loud and burned, but at least I can hear again.