Burger King Kinect Codes Make Us See Double

Lonefilms and his friend ate at Burger King and peeled off their instant win codes on their cups, which gave them a chance to win Kinect, Microsoft’s motion and voice sensor. They received the exact same code, signifying that there’s little significance to the 6-character combos Burger King is cranking out.

If you stop by Burger King today, check your cup against this picture to see if you, too are lucky enough to lose with code 64FMTZ. Or you can cruise the forums for some extra, no-purchase necessary codes to text away. The contest runs through Nov. 28.

Comments

1. BomanTheBear says:

>If you stop by Burger King today, check your cup against this picture to see if you, too are lucky enough to lose with code 64FMTZ.

I lol’d. Good line, Phil.

2. Raekwon says:

Always just use the 6 free codes they give you each day online. You can only play 6 times a day and you might as well play without having to buy anything.

I actually won this sweeps off a free code :-D Check the site Joseph M from UT is me!

• spamtasticus says:

What people don’t realize is that the cell phone companies are partners in all these “text this for that” promotions. They get revenue from all the morons paying for text messages or text plans and get people accustomed to using text instead of voice. Bigger profit as a result of cheaper infrastructure to support text over voice. Before you get offended at me for calling you a moron. Ask yourself two questions:

1. Why are you paying for text when you have a data plan and text is data.
      2. Why you are ok with paying the highest markup of any product or service on the planet. ( if you paid the same rate for your high speed connection per bite at home as you do for text messages it would run you about $50,000,000 per month)

I have an iPhone with ATT and simply tell them to remove all text capabilities from my plan. I neither have a text plan nor can I send or receive texts at 20c per message. When people want to communicate with me they can…. wait for it….. call me, or …… wait for it, email me.

Now I will go eat something as I appear to be a bit pissy.

• lordargent says:

I don’t have texting OR a data plan.

/sticking with my sleek LG VX8600

/funny thing is, I get a 20% discount on plans and service because of my ties to the cellular industry

/smart phones are all too big for my taste, besides, I use my phone as a phone

3. Murph1908 says:

Regardless of the potential prize, I will never text a company as an entry to a contest. Welcome to the modern day equivalent of the Win a Cruise! boxes in restaurant waiting areas. The only thing you are likely to win is junk mail, spam, and telemarketing calls.

4. SecretShopper: pours out a lil' liquor for the homies Wasp & Otter says:

>Or you can cruise the forums

i dunno why but this phrase just seems dirty to me :P

• Verucalise (Est.February2008) says:

It was Craigslist. Their adult forums have brought our minds to the shameless side.

5. carlosdelvaca says:

The way these online sweeps usually work nowadays is that they randomly pick “winning times” across the duration of the promotion. The first person to enter a valid code at or after that time wins the associated prize. So it’s not the code per se, it’s that you enter it at the right time. So it’s not at all surprising that they have duplicate codes.

In fact, item 6 of BK’s official rules for this one say they’re doing exactly that.

6. orange20854 says:

I just used 64FMTZ for all six of my free plays, and it allowed me to lose each time without purchase. I don’t think BK is even tracking which codes are used, otherwise wouldn’t it have told me to use a new code?

7. techstar25 says:

Does anybody remember the good ol’ days when winning a prize did NOT require you to log into a website? Remember when you would pull off the tab and you knew right then and there if you were a winner?
    Just think of all the awesome data they collect when you have to visit the website. Email address and maybe even home address, phone number, or birth date.

• Grungo says:

Doesn’t Mickey D’s do this now with its monopoly game? Instant free fries and such?

• RandomHookup says:

Burger King also did it with their Twilight promotion a few months ago.

• HeroOfHyla says:

The monopoly gives you food prizes on the tabs themselves, or codes you enter online. Each code lets your roll the dice once for the online monopoly board.

• roguemarvel says:

they changed it this year, you actually get the pieces on the cups and collect them, they have codes on them so you can win bonus prizes but you don’t have to play online if you don’t want to.

8. MongoAngryMongoSmash says:

I used to love the scratch and win stickers on the drinks. I’d go home, grab a good mag light and head into a dark room to peer underneath the sticker to see what it said. You could spend a good five minutes but I never scratched the losing side of the ticket. Of course, I didn’t exactly have an overwhelming urge to eat a crap load of hash browns, either.

• caradrake says:

Ooooh, does that still work?

• MongoAngryMongoSmash says:

I doubt they’ve changed the material in the scratch off stickers. I just haven’t seen any lately. My guess is that it won’t work on something like lottery tickets because of the card stock. But those flimsy stickers were easy to see through.

“shajek05-02-2007, 01:46 PM
        If it’s the same as the Star Wars game, a bright flashlight directly under the game piece will let you see which side is the winner. It worked 100% of the time for me with the Force game”

9. MDSasquatch says:

Just for sheets and giggles. I went to the BK website, got six free codes and entered all six of them losers….

10. Sean says:

Actually I ate at BK yesterday and one of the codes I got was 64FMTZ

11. PlumeNoir - Thank you? No problem! says:

I have been using the same six codes that I email for since the contest began. No luck for me, but someone on CAG has already won two.

12. XTC46 says:

Why would they create 100,000 unique losing codes?

Why not just print he same code on 100,000 losing cups, then 50 winning codes, then 1 grand prize winning code or something?

Smaller database to keep and store (1 record v 100,000 records). Assuming the same company probabaly backs all of these contests, it would be a significant difference in resources needed to run the constests.

• goodfellow_puck says:

It’s not about the code used. Like most sweeps, it’s about the TIME it’s used.

• carlosdelvaca says:

If you put actual “winning codes” on the cups, what if they get thrown away rather than redeemed? Then you have to do a second-chance drawing to give out unawarded prizes, which is a huge pain. (By law, typically if you put on a sweeps you HAVE to give everything away, to prevent people from announcing some great giveaway and then conveniently not handing out the prizes.)

13. Darkneuro says:

When I went to enter the code I got the other day, the system told me “Your computer security settings are too high for you to use this website. Lower your computer settings to use this website”.
    I don’t need to enter their contest that bad, thanks much!

14. Jerem43 says:

You just figured this out? Very good, since this is what they have been doing for the past few years! Every contest they have done has had this “cloned code” type thing.

15. lordargent says:

I don’t have texting OR a data plan.

/sticking with my sleek LG VX8600