Hold On To Your Patterns For Dear Life At Jo-Ann Fabric

One would think that craft supplies superstore Jo-Ann Fabric would be used to having customers bring their own knitting or sewing patterns in with them to buy supplies, then wandering off and leaving them behind. Perhaps this gets annoying. Elizabeth writes that when she brought a precious knitting pattern in with her and left it behind, employees promised that the pattern was in the lost and found…but it mysteriously disappeared before she could pick it up.

I’ve never liked shopping at Jo-Ann because their employees are always sullen and they are clearly watching out for every penny. They have set a new low and I will no longer shop there again.

On October 26th I bought enough wool to make two sweaters. I evidently put my sweater pattern on the counter while I was paying. It got covered up and left behind. I didn’t realize it until later that night after the store closed, and I was leaving at 5 AM the next morning for a flight. I called the store at 1:56 PM on the 27th. The clerk who answered, and whose name I didn’t get, told me they had my pattern in “lost and found”. I told her my name and that I would be back to pick it up in a week. So told me no problem, it would be there. This is a pattern I bought in Scotland 30 years ago, so it can’t be replaced and the store shouldn’t have mixed it up with their own inventory.

I went into Jo-Ann at 2:56 PM on November 3rd and asked for my pattern. This clerk said it wasn’t there. The Manager said it wasn’t there. No apologies, no explanation. After my urging, the clerk finally agreed to ask around and took my name and number. Two days later I went back. Different clerk, same Manager. Still no pattern. They couldn’t have cared less. The Manager tried to put the fault on me and said, “There’s nothing I can do about it.” I told him he could find out who was manning the phone on the 27th and ask all his employees to please return the pattern if they had it. He grudgingly agreed to look into it. I had to ask him to write down my name and number. Of course I haven’t heard a thing.

Sure, I left the pattern there by mistake. However, once they identified the pattern and acknowledged that they had it, the responsibility for it became all theirs. Apparently they disagree.

I returned all the wool and will never shop there again for anything. I just wish I could get my pattern back. It was a beautiful Aran Isle knit (cardigan and pullover).

I hate Jo-Ann Fabric. Thanks for listening.

Protip: scan your precious old patterns and keep them in a secure location.

Comments

1. Rose says:

Contact corporate. Sure, you shouldn’t have left it there, but their employees should be, I don’t know, at least marginally helpful?

2. Alvis says:

“However, once they identified the pattern and acknowledged that they had it, the responsibility for it became all theirs.”

No, not really. They were doing you a solid by not throwing it out as trash straight away. It sucks they didn’t hold onto it as long as they said they would, but keeping track of the belongings of absent-minded customers isn’t really part of their business model.

• Rose says:

Pretending to care is. Ask any Joann’s employee. Well, except for the ones at Elizabeth’s store.

• obits3 says:

Maybe they should have just cut it up so no one else could use it…

• jtheletter says:

“but keeping track of the belongings of absent-minded customers isn’t really part of their business model.”

That is pretty easily disproven by this statement from Elizabeth: “told me they had my pattern in “lost and found”.”

Why would they have a lost and found if they aren’t making at least a small effort to keep track of misplaced customer items? Look, this is very simple customer service equation: Say what you will do, then DO what you said. They told her they had her pattern and would mark and hold it for her. Then they DID NOT DO IT. They could have told her it’s not their policy and she was out of luck, but they didn’t do that. So at that point, yes, it IS their responsibility to at least complete the task they themselves agreed to.

• Julia789 says:

It is possible they did keep it in lost and found, and another customer was looking through lost and found stole the pattern? Perhaps they thought it was fairly safe there. Although I do think they should have put it in an envelope in the managers office with a note “picking up Saturday” or whatever.

• MMD says:

A lost and found should not be stored out in plain view for random passersby to rifle through.

• Julia789 says:

Agreed, but maybe it wasn’t kept in the open.

Maybe someone else lost something, a manager brought out the lost and found box from a back room, and the person sorted through it and took their own item plus a pattern they spotted that looked interesting, pretending it was their own. “Here are my things, thanks!” and walked out.

I recall someone losing a good coat at the train station, going to the lost and found, and when he could not find his own taking another coat the same size out of frustration – an expensive looking number. Said to the clerk “Found it, thanks!” I find this distasteful and dishonest, and would never do this myself, but perhaps something similar happened with the lady’s missing knit pattern.

• njack says:

In high school we would go to restaurants along the beach and say we left our sunglasses there last time we ate there. They would bring a box out with the lost and found sunglasses. We were always able to get expensive designer shades for nothing. Looking back, probably not the best method (I only personally recall doing this once), but the point is I can see it happening in any number of cases.

• jaya9581 says:

I think that once they say they have it, and know to whom it belongs, that it becomes their responsibility to keep it safe for a reasonable amount of time.

I once left my brand-spanking-new cell phone charging in a hotel room. I called less than two hours later and was told yes, they did have it, and would keep it safe for me to pick up three days later. When I showed up to claim it, I was kept waiting for over two hours before they admitted they couldn’t find it, even though they confirmed it had been locked up in a safe. When I returned from my vacation, they without complaint paid the $399 + tax after providing them with the receipt for the lost phone, showing I had owned it less than two weeks, and the receipt for the new phone.

3. seaanemoneman says:

They owed you nothing to begin with. Included in nothing is the responsibility to hold onto your precious lost item for a full week.

• MMD says:

Fine, but should they lie about accepting the responsibility to hold on to it?

• seaanemoneman says:

No, they shouldn’t. I don’t think anyone lied, however. I think mixups like this occur, lost and found is not perfect, and if you learn that your priceless heirloom has miraculously been recovered you are courting disaster by saying “let me leave it in that box; I’ll be back in a week.” I would feel differently if this person had said something more like: “I can’t make it back for a week. Can you leave it somewhere safe? Can you put my name on it? Can I have your name?” Due diligence.

4. obits3 says:

“I would be back to pick it up in a week.”

I think a week is a bit excessive to expect a store to keep your stuff. OP should have had a friend pick up the stuff the next day.

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

The way she’s acting, maybe she didn’t have friends to pick it up for her.

Kidding aside, your suggestion probably would have saved the pattern, and if it was that important I wouldn’t have left the responsibility on the store any longer than I needed to.

• nbs2 says:

Ideally, yes, a friend should have come in. But, if the employees responded to a statement indicating that the individual was out of town and would be able to pick it it “next week” with an affirmative acceptance, then I would argue that the store has taken it upon itself the onus of retaining the item.

Had the employee stated, “Sorry, we clean out the l/f every three days, without exception, but I can try to see what I can do,” I would have suggested the OP was at fault for failing to have a friend stop by.

• El-Brucio says:

I love how the OP starts out by saying that she has never liked shopping there …. but apparently does anyway.

Why do I suspect she’ll be back there within the year?

At any rate, the store shouldn’t offer to keep things for customers if they can’t follow through on it.

• JulesNoctambule says:

If that’s the only affordable place in her area to buy yarn, then I suppose she doesn’t have much of a choice if she’s in a situation where she can’t wait for something to be shipped to her. There are stores I don’t like to shop in where I live, but they’re the only ones with that merchandise locally, so sometimes I snarl and bear it.

5. Julia789 says:

I am not sure it became “their responsibility.” I think it became “a courtesy” (of which they failed miserably.)

• Hoot says:

Completely agree. If this had happened to me, I would have made sure to rush over right away to retrieve it, assuming that after more than a few hours, the employee I spoke with would have forgotten or someone else would have not cared and chucked it or taken it.

After a week, I would have zero expectations of getting it back, though if it had happened, it would have been great.

That said, she is free to take her business elsewhere.

6. tlmmason says:

I have never experienced a pleasant employee from Jo-Ann’s I do not know why they think glaring is a proper way to interact with a costumer, but it seems this is the tact most of the employees take.

• cash_da_pibble says:

I visit Joann’s from time to time and have come up with a Theory…
      If your favorite hobby is to sew and knit, you’re probably not a People person…
      Therefore performing Pleasant Customer Service is like pulling teeth.

• isileth says:

Knitters are not a separate part of humanity living in caves to avoid interaction.
        Have you ever seen people knitting together chatting?
        This is one of the nicest things you can do while knitting.

• bluejena says:

Yes, that’s clearly why we choose to pursue a leisure activity of making nice things most often for other people and usually engaging in that action in social groups of the same activity.

• cash_da_pibble says:

it is possible I’m projecting though…
          I forget that not everyone is misanthropes, just people in my circle of fuck-ups. :)

• Keith is checking the Best Buy receipt of a breastfeeding mother (for tips!) says:

Yes, this. I am not a knitter/sewer but both my wife and sister are, so I find myself in JoAnn’s from time to time as a disinterested observer.

I can not think of another chain of stores where I have seen consistantly and universally surly, unhelpful employees that look like they’d rather stab you in the eye with their shears than help you with your purchase.

• Awesome McAwesomeness says:

The ladies at my JoAnn’s are awesome. They will help with anything and everything. Love em’.

7. Azzizzi says:

If she’s blaming someone for losing something she herself couldn’t keep track of on her own, I’m guessing she wasn’t very polite in her dealings with the store, either.

And she expected an apology for it not being there?

• ellemdee says:

After they specifically said they would hold it, I don’t think it was unreasonable for her to expect them to actually do it.

8. Alvis says:

And this is neither here nor there, but I made my first few visits to fabric stores last month in preparation for Halloween; has anyone else found the people who shop at these places to be -really- weird? Like, moreso than average for retail shoppers?

• Julia789 says:

I have been to a few fabric shops around here, and they were all staffed with bitter old ladies with glittery cat sweatshirts and bouffant hairdos. It was interesting.

• Julia789 says:

Oh, the clientelle as well as the staff. They matched – kitty shirts or pastel sweatsuits and dated hair.

However, I would imagine that it depends on when you shop? During weekdays when most folks are working, little old retired ladies will be doing their shopping. I stopped in on my lunch hours to pick up a few things (for Halloween and kids school crafts) so I was probably in there when the old ladies were shopping.

Maybe on the weekend or evenings younger people shop?

• VermilionSparrow says:

Check the scrapbooking section if you want to find soccer moms in business casual at JoAnn’s…

• MsEllenT says:

Where the hell are you from, Alabama? In the real world, crafters come in all shapes, sizes and colours … and I’ve never seen “kitty shirts” or “dated hair”. I’ve spent plenty of time in craft and fabric stores and every single person – patrons and staff – are normal, everyday people.

Remind me to stay away from your town.

• Julia789 says:

I am in suburban NY. Not Alabama. That particular fabric shop had some weird looking elderly staff and clientelle. It was MUCH different than the Michael’s Crafts store that is just one town away, which had a diverse client base when I shopped there (all ages, races, men and women). Maybe that particular fabric shop had a strange popularity with elderly.

9. DanRydell says:

Thanks for the tip… I guess?

10. Julia789 says:

Also I agree with the post, scan (or at least Xerox) important documents whether it’s a knitting pattern or personal/financial documents.

What if you had a fire, flood, fire sprinkler malfunction, etc? What if you kept them in a fire/lockbox and it was stolen from your house? If the documents are very important and there is only one of them, a backup is a good idea.

In the meantime, find some knitting forums and relay your story, and see if anyone can share a similar rare pattern with you. I’m sure someone has something similar out there, and would be willing to scan and email it to you.

Best of luck.

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

Non-knitting person here. Are knitting patterns photocopy-able? Are they on sheets that are convenient to scan? And do the patterns have any textured elements that can’t be photographed (as an example, you can’t photocopy braille usefully)?

• Baxterjones says:

No, knitting patterns are either graphic (grid pattern with symbols to indicate different types of stitches), or written (Row 1: K 1-12, Row 2: K3, P3, K3). There will also be a picture to show the finished garment or item.

As a knitter, I would not take a valuable or treasured original out for any reason. My methods are to photocopy or write down the needed instructions, and make a separate shopping list for the yarn or needles for a project. No way would I take a pattern that sentimental TO the store with me.

• Brunette Bookworm says:

I wouldn’t either. I found it odd she took the pattern to the store instead of just writing down how much yarn and what type she needed but that’s hindsight. Personally, I just don’t like to carry that much stuff and assume the pattern is on one of those large cards that don’t fold and fit in my purse.

11. JacobRyan says:

I guess I just must be lucky all the employee’s at the few JoAnn stores in my areas are very pleasant and helpful.

As for the OP, as much as it sucks they couldn’t help you; the fault lies with you, not them.

12. AllanG54 says:

My wife shops there at least once a week and has never had a problem with any of the employees. Maybe because they know her by now. Maybe because she has never lost anything there either.

13. Brunette Bookworm says:

What if another customer took it and she’s blaming the employees?

Also, if you want to get decent yarn and service, go to a local yarn store. Yeah, yeah, I know, shopping at local places is always the answer but I’ve found the yarn at Jo-Ann to not be as good of quality or as large of a selection as you can get at a local yarn store. I agree with others in that you can check around on knitting sites to see if someone can help replace the pattern.

• VermilionSparrow says:

At the closest local yarn store to me, the employees always seem to be looking down their nose at me for some reason (there’s one farther away that is staffed with nice older ladies, but they don’t have as good a variety of yarn). At least at JoAnn’s they just ignore me completely.

• ScarletsWalk says:

I went last night. I needed just a generic color in Red Heart. They were having a Red Heart sale. Not even a great sale, just like $.50 off. They were sold out of most of the colors and were like “oh, we might get a truck tomorrow.” WTF? I can’t imagine someone came in and bought all that yarn to save so little money on Red Heart. It wasn’t special wool shorn on the full moon by virgins.

It didn’t explain why all the other brands were a mess. They used to be my favorite store, but I was so disappointed.

• JulesNoctambule says:

The last time I went into my city’s LYS, I was with my cousin and her boyfriend. The only time the clerk there spoke to any of us at all was to snap at the boyfriend when he tried to move a box of yarn off a chair so he could sit down. We put down the yarn we’d chosen and left. Surprisingly, that’s a step up for the place — the time before, they didn’t speak to me at all.

• Tenacity says:

That works if you have a local yarn store. There are none around here. All of the locally owned, small craft stores have been forced out of business by the arrival of stores like Michael’s. The down turn in the economy killed the few that remained. I owned one of them.

14. kethryvis says:

i hate to play Blame the OP here but…

This is part of why i don’t take patterns with me into stores. i look at my pattern, and write down what i need to buy. And besides, why take the entire pattern in when all you need is the amount and type of yarn you need? You can sit down and do the math at home (if needed) and take in a small slip of paper that’s not the end of the world if you lose it. And then you’re only carrying around a small piece of paper, instead of the pages and pages of a pattern. Maybe i’m weird, but i prefer to carry as little with me as possible when shopping, especially yarn shopping where i’ll be wanting to pick up and put down a lot of items.

i can see taking it with you if you’re going to a LYS (local yarn store) if you have questions on how to do a certain section. But at Joann’s, you’re lucky if the people working there know the difference between wool and acrylic, forget how to even use the stuff. Leave the patterns at home. Write down what you need and take it with you.

• ElDiablo says:

Thank you for saving me the time it would take to ask. I wasn’t sure what secret knowledge was on the “pattern” that it needed to be toted around the fabric store.

15. common_sense84 says:

You left it there. Why are you pissed at them?

• MMD says:

Because they led her to believe it had been found and was being held until she could get back to the store. I get pissed when people don’t follow through on what they claim they will do, too.

16. ChuckECheese says:

Sussing out the personality type of the typical Jo-Ann measure and cut matron, which I believe tends towards orderliness and punctiliousness, I suspect the demise of Elizabeth’s pattern was due to being cleaned, organized, purged out of existence, and not because of sloth, unless Jo-Ann employs kleptomaniacs. At Jo-Ann, the staff have a mien as pointy, gleaming and vaguely threatening as knitting needles. Please be careful. If you don’t know what a quilting hoop is, please stay outside in the car until nana is done with her errands. Thank you.

P.S. Wouldn’t a knitter go by ‘Betty’ instead of ‘Elizabeth?’

17. pinkbunnyslippers says:

You lost a knitting pattern, not a child. Let’s take a step back and put this into perspective.

I’m sorry you lost (emphasis on YOU) an irreplacable item. I’m also sorry that someone at Joann’s told you they could keep it and were either apparently unable or unwilling to follow up on their assertations (NOT promises) to do so.

It’s great that you’re staging your own boycott of Joann’s, but next time, hold onto your valuables a bit more tightly.

• ChuckECheese says:

Oh, she’ll be back. They always come back. They can’t resist the bales of fabric, the rush of baby alpaca clicking and twirling on gleaming No 5 needles, the comfort of being in the company of people who know and give a damn about the difference between needlepoint and embroidery. Cigarette smokers have to try to quit at least 3 times and knitters always come back to good ol’ Jo-Ann.

• MMD says:

Playing semantics with “assertions” vs. “promises” doesn’t change the fact that when you make a statement that you will do some thing and you don’t follow through, that’s a problem, Don’t say you’ll hold onto something in the lost and found if you can’t reliably do so.

• pinkbunnyslippers says:

Super – an employee said they’d do something, and it turns out they were wrong and the pattern is now gone. She now wants a manager to rifle through the shift log and hold a team meeting to see who answered a week ago at 1:56pm and do what exactly? Berate them in front of their coworkers? Hang them from their ankles out in front of their store for a public flogging? Shut down the store for the afternoon and make them scour the entire store, looking for a 30-year old Scottish pattern. I’ve got news for her – searching for a random pattern inside a JoAnn’s is like searching for a needle in a haystack.

This woman COULD have called corporate, taken the time to write a well thought-out letter with her frustrations, why the pattern was important, how it can be made right, or ways the staff could’ve been more helpful but no – it’s whine, whine, bitch, hissy fit, tantrum, write Consumerist, tantrum some more and then boycott.

You catch more flies with honey than vinegar, and this woman clearly had a 10-gallon drum of the latter for breakfast this morning. If you want a response from a company, this wasn’t the way to go about it. She is being absolutely ridiculous.

• 99 1/2 Days says:

So the employee should have kept watch 24/7 to make sure no one took it? That’s a bit ridiculous.

18. Jane_Gage says:

A person making seven bucks an hour (do you even ask them how their day is going or if they have any kids?) with no health benefits and scant advancement opportunities can look a little “sullen” as they have to step back from meeting upsell and unpacking quotas to assist you with a problem you instigated. I damaged a frame on a picture at home and the framing dept. at the chain craft store fixed it for free–I shop there often and know most of their names by heart and will intercede when I see some bitchy middle-aged catalog hag being rude and unreasonable.

19. Arcaeris says:

If it was so important and hard to replace, maybe you shouldn’t just leave it all over the place like it’s no big thing?

You know what I never leave at the store? Anything important.

20. mszabo says:

Not knowing anything about knitting, but I would have assumed that older traditional patterns would for the most part already be on the internet. This seems like one of those niche things that doesn’t have a lot of big buisness behind it selling patterns and would be troubled persuing copyright violations if it was even possible to copyright.

Not that I’m advocating piracy, but just seems like selling patterns is an industry that would be dead/dying like selling sheet music of classical composers.

21. Amelia Subverxin says:

I used to work retail. I had a manager who threw out a bag of dollar store merchandise that a woman had left behind a few weeks earlier. When the customer returned and told that her stuff had been tossed out, she got a lawyer to contact the corporate office. They cut her a check to make up for her loss.

• Ratran says:

So let me get this straight. She paid a lawyer to get a few bucks back. Even if the lawyer did it pro-bona the time wasted getting huffy about it, is just stupid.

And if people says it is the principle. No it is not. It is a couple of junk items from the dollar store.

Some people, I tell ya.

22. Kyin says:

What probably happened is that the clerk remembered seeing the pattern and said that they had it. Then sometime between that and when she went in to pick it up, someone else saw it in lost and found and decided they wanted it. Same thing could have happened with an employee who thought it looked nice and that no one was probably going to come collect it anyway.

Certainly not a good situation. However, a total boycott of Joanne’s over the actions of a customer or employee seems a bit overkill. The person who took the pattern should be the focus of your ire. In reality, there really isn’t much that the store can do to track where your pattern went. I would talk to the employee who said they saw it, and go from there.

23. Bridizzle says:

OH look.. Another “I lost something and someone else failed to take responsibility” for it story.. WAAH!

Entitlement Society.

24. mk says:

Go on Ravelry. Try searching their knitting patterns. Or ask about it in the aran and scottish groups. Someone there has it or knows where to find it. No knitting pattern is ever really lost.

Always copy your patterns and carry the copy around, then you only lose or damage the copy.

Jo-Ann sucks. It is the Best Buy of the fiber world.

• VATERGrrl says:

If it was an “Old Scottish pattern,” it may very well be from one of the famous and oft-lusted-after Alice Starmore books. Good news: Many of the Starmore books are coming back into print., via Dover Publishing. Check Amazon. No guarantees for the OP, but it might be worth a try as one Fair Isle book and one Aran Knitting book have now been reprinted.

• Gail says:

Which made me cry, because my knitting book collection immediately fell 300 to 400 dollars in value. Darn reprints!

• KAnne123 says:

I posted the same thing before reading all the comments :) Ravelry rocks.

25. ellemdee says:

While it would have been unreasonable to expect the store to have all of their employees scour the bulding looking for something a customer lost, if the item was already found, it’s perfectly reasonable to ask them to put it aside and hold it. The OP didn’t even go that far – the employees told her that it had already been found and that it was fine if she picked it up in a week, so there was no reason for her believe that she needed to worry about finding someone to get up to the store right away and claim it

26. JulesNoctambule says:

OP, if you’re reading this, I have a ridiculously massive collection of knitting patterns that span eight decades and several countries. Let me know what your pattern was called and I’ll be glad to check my collection — if I have it, it’s yours.

27. Zeniq says:

Um… there is no “trying” to put the fault on the OP. The fault IS the OP’s. And additionally, what is the manager supposed to do? Magically produce a pattern that he doesn’t have?

28. VOIDMunashii says:

People like this make all customers look bad.

t sucks that you lost your only copy of this one-of-a-kind no-other-like-it-on-Earth 30 year old sweater pattern, but it is not the fault of the store that you brought the only copy of your one-of-a-kind no-other-like-it-on-Earth 30 year old sweater pattern into the store with you instead of a photocopy of it, or even just a shopping list of what you needed.

The sense of entitlement displayed in this letter causes my mind to question the way you behaved with the store employees while on the phone with them. It was never their responsibility to babysit your pattern, and, as others have already said, they were nice for not simply tossing it in the bin at the end of the night when you left it behind.

I think I’m going to take my wife to Jo Ann’s right now to get more yarn for the Doctor Who scarf she is knitting.

29. curlyfro says:

it was in the lost and found box. The employee didn’t offer to set it aside or any special protection, it was left in the lost and found. . . .it’s a piece of paper, easy to fall out and float away. It doesn’t seem there was malicious intent. Sometimes sucky stuff happens, life is way to short to be offended over something like this…

30. Aaron Poehler says:

This is primarily her fault, and it’s a lousy situation all around but she should at least admit that the store is not to blame for her own screwup, nor were they obligated to babysit her stuff.

31. broken-strides says:

Whoever sent this in has a serious entitlement problem. It’s not JoAnn Fabric’s fault that she couldn’t keep track of her belongings, and they have no obligation to do so. Sure, if I were an employee I would be courteous enough to hold on to it for her, but JoAnn has no responsibility in this matter…

And for that matter, I’ve always had pleasant experiences in JoAnn’s.

32. CFinWV says:

I’m a knitter so I cringed when I read the part about the pattern being irreplaceable. That said, hindsight is 20/20. I never bring a full pattern into a store with me, especially of rare patterns. Secondly, why did you wait a week? I would be making a special trip and/or calling all my friends for a favor. Honestly, I feel for the OP but I don’t see how JoAnns has responsibility for this, lost and founds are always provided as a courtesy to the public but they are not “responsible” for someone else’s mistake.

33. Chooi says:

I guess I’m not understanding why she took the pattern to the store in the first place? If she’s had it for 30 years she should definitely know how much wool she would need for it right? Definitely not Jo-Ann’s fault.

34. KAnne123 says:

I would just like to suggest to the OP that she check out http://www.ravelry.com. It’s a wonderful knit/crochet resource, with well over 40,000 patterns available. Someone on one of the forums there may even be able to help her locate an old copy of the pattern or something very similar.

35. JANSCHOLL says:

1 have been shopping in the local Joann’s for over 20 years with many of the same employees during that time who remember me and know what I am looking for. But in the last two years, the whole demeanor of the store has changed and I have only been in the store once in the last month and bought nothing. This bad service and attitude started about two years ago (right about the economic meltdown?) and along with the insistance that I must have an iD to use my credit card, I just am avoiding the place. At least Michaels is close by and knows me in the same time span. Guess who gets my business?

36. Mclick says:

My wife just picked up a beautiful Scotish Aran Isle knit (cardigan and pullover) pattern last week from the lost and found at JoAnn, didn’t cost her a penny.

Too bad for Laura though, I guess she should have kept the wool and made a couple snuggies out of them, you don’t need much of a patter for them. Good rule of thumb: DON’T LEAVE YOU STUFF OUT ANYWHERE, PEOPLE CAN NOT BE TRUSTED.

37. sock says:

LYS–Local Yarn Shop. Go there.

38. Rectilinear Propagation says:

According to the comments, when I come across an item that someone has clearly lost and is of some value I should just throw it away immediately because holding onto it for even 24 hours is just too nice. And no one should ever be nice. That’s just unreasonable.