The Best Thing You Can Do With Budget Advice Is Keep It To Yourself

If you’re savvy enough to read Consumerist you probably know your way around a budget, and the more you think you know about money the harder it is to resist sharing your unsolicited advice with others.

But you’re best off keeping your wondrous financial knowledge to yourself, Linsey argues on Finances Your Way.

Among the five reasons she offers as to why you should stifle your money-advising instincts is the prospect that your vast knowledge won’t be appreciated:

Do you ever wonder why some people ask about how to true up their budget, only to ignore or dismiss everything you say? Some folks find budgeting difficult, not because they can’t do math, but because they despise limits. It’s probably OK to say “maybe you should skip buying a new purse dog this month” but don’t be surprised (or hurt) when they come home with a new furry companion, a seasonal puppy wardrobe, and the poshest pet bed on the market. (Remember that some spending comes from emotional issues.)

Another reason Linsey reasons you should bite your tongue is because on the off chance your advice doesn’t work out well, you could be held liable for the outcome.

What’s your policy on financial advice distribution?

5 Reasons To Keep Your Budget Advice To Yourself [Finances Your Way]

Comments

1. Alvis says:

What is with all these people with poorly-spelled names lately?

“Linsey” today and “Ambyr” yesterday… parents need to start doing a spell-check before filling out the birth certificate.

• HaveSomeCheese says:

I’ve always wondered about this. I figure the parents’ best effort to be “different and unique” usually ends up being a burden for the kid as they have to constantly correct people….”It’s LINSEY, not LINDSEY”

• Mauvaise says:

I have a less than common spelling on my first name. I don’t bother to correct anyone on the spelling unless it’s vitally important (driver’s license, plane ticket).

Though I do get irked when I’ve emailed someone at work, my name is in my signature, spelled correctly, and they still insist on using the incorrect spelling. It’s RIGHT THERE! I still don’t bother to correct them, but I’ll admit, I seethe a little inside every time.

• Alvis says:

Have you considered the possibility that you’re the one in the wrong?

• theduckay says:

How are they the ones “incorrect” if thats what their name is? Your name can’t be “incorrect”.

• rndmnmbr says:

It’s not wrong, but there are a lot of stupid parents. Common spelling exists for a reason, making the spelling “special” does nothing but doom your kids to a lifetime of spelling out their names.

• Anathema777 says:

Well, yeah, but some names have several common spellings. Megan, Meghan, Meagan, for example. Or Sarah, Sara and John, Jon, for instance. In that case, who’s to say that one name is “right”?

• Alvis says:

Me.

Megan, Sarah, and John.

• kagekiri says:

I like your spellings, but Jon instead of John is almost always that way because their full name is Jonathan. I know a lot more Jonathans-going-by-Jon than Johns, for whatever that’s worth.

• Alter_ego says:

I went to high school with a jhon

• Cantras says:

Unrelated to poorly spelled names, but I went to school with a girl named Marie. huh. that’s like the most common middle name for white girls in america, so if your first name is marie, what’s your middle name?
                    *head in hands, long-suffering voice* “Marie.”

• outshined says:

Holy smokes is this true. It happens even with people I’ve been doing business with for years. My salutation will say, “Thanks, XYZ”. They’ll reply, “I received it, thanks XXZ”.

I make every effort to figure out how to pronounce difficult last names correctly because it actually makes someone’s day. That said, I silently bitch at my mom for spelling my name wrong. She has a funky spelling too but it became popular!

• shepd says:

I have a last name that is in the dictionary, and is actually a very common word, and not a particularly uncommon last name. Despite repeating the spelling multiple times and providing people with physical credit cards with my name punched into them (and requesting they spell it as shown) I still end up with my name spelled wrong on my receipts.

I’ve given up, although until I married her, my former GF thought I was just not explaining it properly (I can be bad at that). Now she has to get people to spell it properly, she also agrees: People r dum.

• pearlysweetcake says:

Haha, yes, nothing annoys me more than people who respond to an email from me (that comes addressed from my name, and has my name in the signature) and spell my (very common, not unusually spelled) name wrong!! There is NO “H” in Nicole, people!!

• shepd says:

You mean Lindsay, right?

I’d love to see this Linsey live there.

• wrjohnston91283 says:

It can be even worse than a burden. There was a study a while back that shows that people with black sounding names had less likely of a chance of getting an interview or call back than someone with a white sounding name. Granted, this stems from whoever is looking at resumes/applications being a little racist, but a black male with the name “Jamal Smith” is going to be worse off than a black make with the name “James Smith”.

• Mom says:

One of my friends is applying for a passport for the first time in his life (he’s 60), and just found out that he’s been spelling his first name wrong his entire life. Or else his name is spelled wrong on his birth certificate. Or something. It’s making it a pain to get a passport.

2. obits3 says:

“What’s your policy on financial advice distribution?”

I don’t tell my friends how to spend their money, but I will show them a realistic picture of where they are at so they can decide for themselves.

3. xamarshahx says:

if i do give advice on investments, i let people know repeatedly that they should do their own research and its up to them.

4. JoeDawson says:

So basically… Keep your budget to yourself, unless you are Consumerist.com

5. chaesar says:

the best thing you can do with budget advice is start a website and rehash the same material every few weeks

6. Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

“What’s your policy on financial advice distribution?”

I ain’t sayin’.

7. Qantaqa says:

Is it the same if I just talk about my budget to complain how I can’t ever afford a car ever? Maybe one day someone will feel sorry for me and teach me how to hotwire.

8. ericfate says:

And how much of the content on this website consists of people giving Budget Advice again?

• Downfall says:

Navigating to this website is the equivalent of asking for advice (or, at least, amusing stories). That doesn’t really track with offering unsolicited advice. When’s the last time consumerist sent you an unsolicited email?

9. NumberSix says:

I keep it to myself but it’s hard sometimes when I see people throwing money away.

My parents are a good example. They have one income and I swear sometimes they are TRYING to spend the most money possible on stuff.

• WeirdJedi says:

My mom does that. As soon as she gets money, she spends it all on anything and everything. As soon as she runs out of money, she tells me that she is broke and can’t afford to buy the littlest thing.

• NumberSix says:

My parents bought my kid Legos at a boutique toy store (Geppetto’s).

LEGOS!

As if they weren’t expesive enought at Target.

• aloria says:

My father hasn’t been consistently employed in half a decade, yet sees no problem with his carton-a-week cigarette habit. Suggesting to him he wouldn’t be so hard up if he made an effort to quit smoking is met with a reaction akin to asking him to assassinate a world leader.

10. TehLlama says:

We probably shouldn’t use the internet for advice at all. Dissemination of information should probably go away as well…

11. WeirdJedi says:

Everyone’s circumstances are different. What if you were thrown out of the house when you turned 18? What if a flood came and swept your house away? What if you couldn’t find a job? It might be easy to turn and throw out suggestions, but it is a different matter to take in the consideration of what age, background, or direst a person might be in.

Also just because it worked for some people, it might not work for others. “I made millions investing in X! You should too!” It is always good to hear options you may not have considered before, but understand there is a possibility it won’t work out.

“A true king follows the advice of his council but always listens to his own heart above all”

12. dolemite says:

My favorites include the well-to-do people that try and give budget advice. You get info like “even when you are out of work, you should budget 10% into savings”. ummm..I have no income, wtf are you talking about? Or “You should do like us, and pay off $30,000 in debt in 1 year…we put a mere $3,000 a month towards our extraneous debt…” “Umm..that’s more than I make in a month, and what I do make goes towards rent, insurance, etc…”

Or you get the Suze Ormans…”Suze…I have $945,000 in retirement, $50,000 in an emergency fund, $99,999 in savings and have no debt…can I afford a $6,000 jet ski?” “WHAT, ARE YOU CRAZY? NO!”

• chocobo says:

Suze Orman never does anything like that. She correctly realizes that anyone with credit card debt should never make un-needed purchases before paying off the debt. She correctly advises people to have an emergency savings fund in case they lose their income.

Most people don’t have this savings fund, and most people don’t end up needing it, so it can seem strange when someone with a large income and 0 debt is told not to buy something. But Suze is correct – because if that income disappears, this person will be bankrupt and lose their house within months. What’s more important… avoiding that problem, or buying a new motorcycle?

Sure, you and 98 other people think a large savings account isn’t needed, but the 1 out of 100 people who lose everything they own due to lack of savings would disagree with you.

• smirkette says:

I have had more work than I could manage for the past 2.5 years (I’m a freelancer). It almost dried up starting in September. THANK GOODNESS I’d been living fairly frugally all that time and banking the balance or else I’d be in really hot water now. Savings (if you can at all manage it) is so important.

13. crazedhare says:

I have a tendency to think that those people who are financially comfortable are that way because they are lucky. That it’s easy, that it doesn’t involve certain sacrifices, etc. So I think when people ask, mostly they anticipate there is some kind of simple silver bullet. That kind of thinking is compounded by financial sites (including, for the sake of argument, this one) consistently sending the message that there are 5 tricks, 7 easy steps or just one simple hack to be done to achieve financial health. If I have to read one more article about how I would be wealthy if ONLY I would stop buying expensive Starbucks drinks (something I don’t do anyway)…well, you get the point. Personally, I feel jealous when I talk to friends who are financially more comfortable than me and guilty when I talk to friends who are struggling just to pay the heating oil bill, so I try to stay out of one on one conversations about money.

• obits3 says:

I think it is a combination of life choices and your parents. Rather than trying to get rich in one generation, a better goal would be to try moderate growth for each generation.

G1: HS education.
      G2: G1 helps kids get some type of certification.
      G3: G2 helps kids get a college education.
      G4: G3 helps kids get college education and a down payment on a house.

And so on…

The only problem is one self serving generation can mess it up.

• wackydan says:

Lucky? Sometimes….People make their own luck. Working hard does pay off… It nets you raises, and builds your professional reputation in your company or industry. There are a lot of working people out there that think they are hard working, but aren’t. That think they are professional, but are not.

They wonder why they don’t get raises, why they don’t get promoted, and why they get laid off and have so much trouble finding a job.

Any and all success is mitigated by the individual’s own ability to PLAN for the future, and whether they spend to the limit of their earnings, or leave wiggle room.

I think people have so many issues with expense/income management due to what had been the readily available lines of credit, but also because their parents taught them shit about money.

I see so many parents that buy their kids EVERYTHING they want… Yet there are no chores required as a stipulation. There are far less teenagers working part time, not just due to the economy, but that they don’t actually need to… Because mommy and daddy are covering everything. So I’m not too shocked that today’s younger generation can’t manage their money or make informed decisions on debt/income.

I’ve managed to get my self in debt and out of it. I’ve managed to build a successful career and earn a very good salary… And I dropped out of college… Luck… it helps, but the size of the mouth of your “luck funnel” is indeed up to you.

• richcreamerybutter says:

Working hard CAN pay off, but in certain positions, industries, and time periods (not to mention, at the mercy of politics and gender/class-based issues), it’s not uncommon that a copious amount of energy is used to just spin your wheels. It’s unfair to assume that anyone not financially well-off is simply lazy.

• wackydan says:

Then you change, you move, you get a different job.

I’ve heard countless people talk about their dead end job… while living in a dead end town.

I’ve lived through shit economies and had to go without a raise for 2 or 3 years… That is basic freaking math. A company laying off and struggling during a recession is under no obligation to give you a raise. Workers do indeed have to suffer along with the company at some points.

Perhaps I should have said, hard work pays off coupled with the ability to make the right decisions in regard to your career/future. A lot of people make shit decisions, or can’t make a decision at all.

• crazedhare says:

Costs money to move, and those without enough to pay for food or the heating bill might not have it. They tell me here in the Philly area (not exactly NYC or LA), that first, last and security is standard for a rental contract. That’s three month’s of rent to move in to a one year lease, or 25% for a one year lease. Is it really that hard to imagine that this is not achievable for everyone?

I think if you truly believe that everyone, or even almost everyone, who is stuck in a crap situation right now COULD fix it, if only they WOULD, then I believe your head is firmly under the sand. Get a grip with what’s going on around you – the unemployment rate, stagnant wages, stagnant new business lending, stagnant hiring, long-time factory wage cities crumbling, etc.

• RadarOReally has got the Post-Vacation Blues says:

You can’t say there’s NO luck involved. For example, a person who was born in a family that valued education would be brought up differently than one who was born into a family that didn’t. Or having parents than can or can’t afford to help with college. Being healthy versus not healthy. Meeting someone who is a good networking contact versus not meeting that person. Being born with a last name or a skin tone people consider undesirable, being born into an economically depressed area, being saddled with responsibilities like ill parents at a young age, all of these can have an effect on how your life goes.

Yes, given the exact same circumstances, someone who works harder is always going to do better than someone who doesn’t. But I really think the absolute inability to empathize with other humans or to stop assuming everyone has exactly the same opportunities in life. That doesn’t mean people should throw their hands up and say they aren’t going to try because they weren’t dealt the best hand, but it does mean that all the trying in the world might not yield the same results as your hard work did.

• RadarOReally has got the Post-Vacation Blues says:

Double oops. That was meant to be a reply to the top level of this sub-thread, and also was meant to say “But I really think the absolute inability to empathize with other humans or to stop assuming everyone has exactly the same opportunities in life is part of what’s causing the massive ideological divide we seem to be having in the U.S.”

• Bibliovore says:

One note on “the right decisions with regard to your career/future”: lower-paying fields are not always bad choices. I’m an editor — it’s not a career that’ll make me rich, but it’s work I enjoy and am happy doing, and I’m good at it and earn a comfortable living. My brother is a financial analyst — it’s work he enjoys and is happy doing, and it makes him rich. If I had his job, I’d be miserable, and nowhere near as successful. Because he loves his work he puts in the time and effort to be extremely skilled, far better than I ever would or could be at his job. I put that time and effort into editing, with very good results and much satisfaction.

Oh, and wackydan, I love your “size of the mouth of your ‘luck funnel’” phrasing. 8)

• the_wiggle says:

As Prachett had Vimes point out – when all you can afford is easily destroyed boots and you NEED boots, you’re in the hole & likely never to get out.

• the_wiggle says:

• magnetic says:

I think there’s a lot to be said for the difficulty of upward mobility. If you don’t have a solid start, you’re already behind, and spending more money/energy on simply maintaining a normal life.

• BHall says:

“it’s not uncommon that a copious amount of energy is used to just spin your wheels.”

Try to think of it more as swimming in a river you have to work very hard to just stay where you are.

• Clyde Barrow says:

Yeah, I agree with you. Sometimes luck plays a hand but most often it’s sacrifice. Sure, if I were a “Vanderbilt”, I’d say that I am damn lucky to not have to worry much about bills. But I’m not. And most people aren’t so having these skills to finance and save are very important.

14. sonneillon says:

If I budget well I get to drink good beer. If I budget poorly I do not.

15. Derv says:

I’m terrible when it comes to giving advice I don’t follow. The thing is, I read Consumerist and stay reasonably informed, and know all the things I *should* be doing. When it comes to actually doing it though, about the only thing I do do (hehe) is max out my employer matched contributions to my 403(b) – if only because it’s out of sight and out of mind. I figured I won’t miss the $100/month. Making a budget, sitting down and planning out finances, etc? Not so good at that stuff. I need to get better.

16. Buckus says:

This is the same reason not to give car-buying advice…even if you are an automotive journalist who has won awards for your writing. People listen to your words, then do whatever the hell they were going to do anyways.

17. lettucefactory says:

I pretty much don’t ever give anyone in meatspace advice on anything, ever. Because I don’t live their lives, I don’t know their constraints.

Though really, I’m not that good with a budget. I was in debt to my eyeballs until I got married to a frugal man. So you know, nobody asks me. Good thing I’m okay with that.

18. Alvis says:

Reasons never to share an opinion on anything:

You may not really know what you are talking about.
    You won’t be listened to, or appreciated.
    You could be held liable.
    You could be scrutinized.

• Scoobatz says:

I kind of wish more people on this site would take this advice. I don’t need anyone telling me that I shouldn’t spend $200 on a set of bed sheets or $1000 for a wedding videographer.

• You hate your job but you're still working there? says:

And yet here you are. And by the way, it’s Alvíss, not Alvis. Or is that Elvis? …Alvin? Whatever, I wasn’t listening anyway. Besides, are you some kind of names expert? You seem like a fraud, maybe I should sue!

19. Awesome McAwesomeness says:

I’m glad Dave Ramsey didn’t take her advice. Without people sharing their wisdom, we wouldn’t have a lot of great financial bloggers out there.

And I highly doubt that you could be held liable for telling people to put money automatically in savings each month, or for teaching them how to hone their grocery budget.

20. Elcheecho says:

any and all advice consists of “this is what i do….”

21. Zydia says:

My policy is to go into it only as far as the other person is taking it. And to make sure to voice that the advice works for me and their situation might be different, so it’s mainly some information to consider but not necessarily implement in their own lives.

22. Snowblind says:

Money is part of the “no discussion” trifecta of polite conversation: Money, Politics, and religion.

• UltimateOutsider says:

I agree, and would also add circumcision to that list. Nothing good has ever come of discussing it.

• dolemite says:

The problem is…everything in the world is related to those 3 things. I suppose you could talk about the weather…maybe sports.

23. mythago says:

Sounds like the best thing you can do is to stop hanging around with people who a) ask for your advice b) with no intention of following it unless it’s “keep doing exactly as you please”, and c) blaming you if in their opinion it doesn’t work out.

I mean, there’s unsolicited meddling, and then there are people who think that once they unload their crap onto you, they’re absolved of any responsibility for said crap.

24. SG-Cleve says:

I never recommend stocks.

I used to do it and my recommendations would always go down.

25. richcreamerybutter says:

I’m definitely interested in what my peers are doing to save money, because chances are this advice can also work under my circumstances. I have a remarkable ability to save money when I have an actual full-time job (years of crippling student loans trained me to be very thrifty without appearing so), and I know what works for me. With few exceptions, advice is really best tailored to different demographics.

26. Ragman says:

No, some don’t follow your advice because they weren’t really asking for advice, that was just the noise they chose to make with their pie-hole.

Had a friend ask (in the 90s) what computer she should buy. I knew I had to keep it non-technical, and said she should be okay with anything, but stay away from Brand X (I forget the name) because I’d been told about problems. She goes and buys a Brand X computer. She got herself on my tech support black list for that.

My wife and I get the “OMG, how do you that?” financial questions, so we do share our techniques. But, we tell it as “This is what we do, and it works for us” as opposed to “You BETTER do this!” and let them decide if that’s what they want to try. Because some people just can’t stomach the idea of “leftovers” and think you gotta through that extra ribeye steak in the trash if nobody eats it. Or the car battery dies and they’re at the car dealership paying for a new battery and installation.

27. lovemypets00 - You'll need to forgive me, my social filter has cracked. says:

I keep my mouth shut.

Even at work, when my coworkers are wasting $30 or $40 a week on ordering take out lunches. And when they take phone calls from a utility company and say “I just don’t have the money this week”, but they go on a bus trip to a casino the very next day. And when they say “I can’t afford X”, but at the same time take out stacks of Lotto tickets to check the numbers online. And when they borrow from their 401K plans to pay for Christmas presents, and then drag out the repayment over the entire next year.

Yeah, it’s tough.

28. ap0 says:

I think the SNL skit that said, “don’t buy stuff you can’t afford” was about the best budgeting advice anyone could ever give. I follow that and have no consumer debt. It’s working out pretty good for me.

29. JayPhat says:

I find the level of irony off the charts in that EVERYDAY there is an article on here about what we’re doing wrong with our finances and how to do it differently, and rarely are they the same set of ideas.

30. You hate your job but you're still working there? says:

Although I’m a financial counselor and have lots to say about budgeting and the like, giving financial advice is easy for me because I don’t actually do it, and instead I let someone else do it on my behalf. I’m not going to waste my time dishing out great advice (that I’m already paid well for) to a friend that could care less when so many other professionals have spent hours doing the same thing.

Instead I give them a mini-homework assignment. I’ll refer people to entertaining, trustworthy and easy-to-follow folks like Suze Orman or Ramit Sethi, with a brief explanation. Something like, “You know, ‘I Will Teach You To Be Rich’ made it really easy for me to manage my finances without spending hours working out a budget every month. Ramit’s got a great sense of humor and he doesn’t lecture you about how to spend your money. There’s tons of great info on his website and he sends out regular email updates to supplement what’s in his book. Check him out and let me know if you have any questions.”

If they actually look into it, they’ll see there really is a lot of great advice to be had on his site, it will probably lead them to other reliable personal finance/life management resources, and if they come back to me later I’ll know that they’re serious about changing their spending habits for the better.

• RadarOReally has got the Post-Vacation Blues says:

So your counseling consists of counseling them to ask someone else? How do I get a gig like that? :P

• You hate your job but you're still working there? says:

You’ve misunderstood some fundamental things about my line of work. I don’t readily provide advice to friends and family because they’re not looking for advice. That kind of information is readily available from thousands of sources in lots of different formats, so they have no reason to make themselves uncomfortable talking about their finances with me. Instead, they’re looking for motivation, or- more often- an excuse NOT to do anything about their situation. All I ask for them to do is a bit of preliminary research to show that they’re serious about making a change- and I even direct them to reliable sources to get them started.

My job as a counselor isn’t just to provide advice (and it’s definitely not to sit on my tail all day telling people to listen to someone other than me). Personal finance management is fundamentally simple and easy to follow. I’m clearly a fan of Ramit Sethi, so I’ll bring up his CEO model as an example- all you have to do is Cut costs, Earn more and Optimize spending. What I’m there to do is to help clients stay on track with regular, individually tailored guidance, so that they have someone to turn to when they’re feeling discouraged or confused. A good comparison is a personal trainer, since you could find tons of info about exercising and staying healthy online or at the library, but may need that extra push to really succeed. I readily provide advice to clients because those who wind up talking to me have already taken those first steps to changing their behaviors. Those people have gathered their vital financial information, attended a comprehensive counseling session to address their problem(s) and are dedicating a significant portion of their income in managing their debt and adjusting their spending to adhere to a comprehensive budget while they actively learn how to manage things themselves (we want them to “graduate” the program so that they can handle their money independent of our agency).

31. EcPercy says:

Do a budget on paper and spend less than you make… I think it would he hard for someone to hold you liable with that advice…

32. Toffeemama is looking for a few good Otters says:

Is there any way I can trick my in-laws into reading this article?

33. Lendon85 says:

I would never give budget advice, especially unsolicited advice, but I’ve been dealing with a situation at work this week that really makes me want to shake some sense into a certain someone. I’m my company’s HR rep, and we have just announced our new health insurance rates for next year. We will have a premium increase of just over 5%, which isn’t too bad all things considered. We have 300+ employees on the plan and not one has complained except HER, the “Chronic Complainer”. I had just sent the email out, and it wasn’t five minutes later, that she emails me back demanding to cancel her insurance because she “can’t afford it”, and she and her daughter “will have to go without”.
    We have encountered similar problems with this employee before. A while back she wrote numerous emails to my boss and myself crying and moaning because she needed money and wasn’t eligible for a hardship withdrawal from her 401(k) plan (our plan does not allow loans). She kept making remarks like it’s “her money” and “what good” was having a 401(k) if she couldn’t take money out whenever she felt like it. Obviously, she completely misses the point that the money is for retirement savings. She did eventually qualify for the hardship when her house was close to foreclosure.

Now, she’s claiming she can’t afford the premiums for her health insurance. She also said she can’t afford her house payment, her truck is going to be repossessed, she can’t pay her car insurance, property taxes etc.

Here’s the thing….this employee nets about $2100 a month, which is a fairly decent salary where I live. She lives in a mobile home, so I’m sure the payments and property taxes can’t be too ridiculously high. She drives a decent enough vehicle but again, nothing terribly expensive. I really want to ask her what the heck she is spending the money on if not her house or car payments, but of course it’s not my place to do so. It wasn’t too long ago I was making around the same salary as she makes now, and I managed to live just fine.

Oh, and I was just looking at the weekly football pool which she plays multiple times every single week. Her name is on it 5 times, so that’s $5 most likely wasted right there. Most of us only put a dollar or two on it. She also has a really nice new cell phone which I see her on pretty much constantly when she’s not working, and not too long ago took out a loan for a brand new laptop (our company offers an interest-free loan program for computers). IShe also goes out for lunch every day instead of brown-bagging it like many people here do. I did refer her to financial counseling through our Employee Assistance Program, but I sincerely doubt she will use it.

34. dangerp says:

I really hate this line of reasoning. You don’t give advice because you want them to follow it, or because it will make you feel better. You give advice to give them a more rounded understanding of the topic at hand. Whatever they do with that information is up to them.

I hate those people who give advice ‘freely’, and then get offended when you don’t follow it.

Really, the two points quoted above are the worst in the original article (5 is close behind though… you already know how private you are about your finances, why do you need a blog to tell you that?). The first two reasons, on the other hand, are perfectly valid and worth keeping in mind.

35. cozynite says:

I have a friend who definitely gives unwanted financial advice to me. Even though I have a budget and am pretty wise about spending vs. paying credit card debt vs. rent and other bills, she sees nothing wrong with telling me that I am not using my money wisely because she makes 35% more money than I do. Then I find out she spends $350 a month on clothes, every month. Who is being more fiscally responsible again?

36. Clyde Barrow says:

“Do you ever wonder why some people ask about how to true up their budget, only to ignore or dismiss everything you say?”.

Yeah, I know this very well. I work in finance and everyone from my mom, sis, and friends ask me but no one listens. What to do? I keep my mouth shut. I think what they really want to hear is me telling them that they’re doing it “right”. But ya know, when someone is in the red, has a $100.00 cell phone bill per month when they could replace it with a majicjack, that’s a $1,200.00 per year cost avoidance and it could be better spent on your vehicle and insurance. It’s about priorities and sacrificing until a better time when you can afford it.

But hey, I’m just a dumbass. lol. What do I know?