The Best Free iPad Games

meetipad

(DQD)

With its jumbo-sized touch screen, impressive processing power and portability, the iPad is fertile ground for gaming, but you have to know where to look for the best stuff. Kotaku dug through the piles of bad games to dig up the best freebies that you can find on the iPad App store.

Three of the site’s choices:

USA Today Crossword Puzzles — You just pull up the regular USA Today app, find the crossword and get to it – no pen needed.

Frotz — A prehistoric-style text-based adventure game in the spirit of Zork. The post notes that when you’re playing this game it looks like you’re working.

Solitaire — The old standby still has some fight left in it, and the game is conducive to touch-dragging.

If you have an iPad, what are your favorite free games?

The iPad’s Best Free Games Right Now [Kotaku]

Comments

1. zekebullseye says:

Restaurant story: Free and incredibly addictive once you get into it.

2. benh57 says:

Frotz is not a game. it’s a game player. (similar to an ebook reader, frotz will run the text adventure game files so that you can play them)

You can play zork using frotz.

3. The cake is a lie! says:

City story is an awesome one too. I’ve been doing a lot better than a lot of my neighbors with it and I’ve never had to spend a dime of real money. UltimateRace is also an awesome game which is free unless you want to post your scores online.

4. Portlandia says:

I like Paper Toss, it’s mindless and fun entertainment on my iPhone and iPad…if I want something more serious there’s a couple great Sudoku games for both as well.

5. Jerry Vandesic says:

Trainyard Express. Totall addictive. You design a train system to get the trains to prescribed destinations. Starts out easy but gets quite challenging after a while.

The free version has 60 levels, which is quite a bit for free (for a buck more you can buy the paid version for a different set of 150 levels).

• The cake is a lie! says:

Ooooh… I second that. I found that game a couple weeks ago and love it. It is a real head scratcher sometimes, but very satisfying when you figure the solution out.

• Tongsy says:

This is the best suggestion.

The paid version is absolutely worth paying for, totally worth the 99 cents.

6. pinkbunnyslippers says:

Angry Birds, WeCity, WeDoodle…definitely fun, although WeCity is a bit too FarmVille-esque for my liking, but I still play!

• The cake is a lie! says:

If you are going to include paid games like Angry Birds, then we need to add Cut The Rope, GearedHD, and Paper Ninja. too many fun games to list…

• Mauvaise says:

If we’re talking paid apps – Another vote for Angry Birds. Love that game.

I also picked up Plants vs. Zombies a few weeks ago – talk about crack! That game actually cost me sleep! It’s even tons of fun after you’ve beaten the Adventure Mode and can go into quick play and mini-games.

• cash_da_pibble says:

Ohmaigawd.
      Angry Birds is like crack.
      This game is available on the Droid, and the BF and I actually play together and strategize.

7. kriswone says:

I specialize in re-utilizing Apple products for the monetarily deprived and entertainment challenged. If you or anyone you know has an apple product that would be interested in helping to entertain the less fortunate, please reply to me.

• The cake is a lie! says:

Just wait till a decent 9″ Android tablet hits the market and then you can look for my iPad on ebay. ;)

8. Pelonis says:

Those are what they call the best free iPad games?

Someone didn’t do their research, 5 sec search on google would bring out hundreds of far better games for iPad.

No wonder there is so much unreasonable negitivity about iPad, the people writing the articles don’t try or test.

9. The Dord says:

I use appshopper.com/ipad to find the newest apps; free or not.

Pocket Legends is nice, but you have pay after the Dark Forest levels, but not too much at tall.