Make A Tissue Pop-Up Out Of A To-Go Cup

Here’s a crafty way to make your own tissue pop-up out of a to-go coffee cup. It fits in your car’s cup holder!

Just grab a cup, cut a big hole in the lid with a utility knife, cut your tissues in half and weave them together (this makes sure ensures they will “pop”), stuff the tissue in the cup and sprout the tail through the lid. Voila!

Even if you’re not into the idea itself, it’s a good reminder about figuring out new uses for the common items around us instead of automatically purchasing a new single-use and disposable object.

How to Make a To-go Coffee Cup Tissue Pop-up [Curbly]

Comments

1. Platypi {Redacted} says:

I just have to ask WHY? And they say “no-cost”, but do the tissues you put in there grow on trees? Is your time free? I guess I miss the point of this one!

• There's room to move as a fry cook says:

Apparently there is/was a company out there selling these. The point is to make a handy tissue dispenser that fits in your car’s cup holders.

• Platypi {Redacted} says:

I guess if you enjoy crafting and have free time and really want one of these and don’t want to pay for a single cup what would buy you a 3-pack of boxed tissues would cost and really want your tissues both smaller and in your cupholder, I get the point now! Thanks!

• ellemdee says:

It’s more convenitent for use in the car.

2. Blueskylaw says:

Easy way to make more money selling less of something.

• c!tizen says:

I don’t know why, but this comment made me think that somewhere out there is a website, opposite the Consumerist, full of business owners submitting stories about their customers trying to swindle them and other business owners making smart-ass comments about the story. I searched for capitalist.com, but it wasn’t nearly as humorous as I’d hoped for.

No bizzaro Consumerist.com yet.

3. bethanyboo says:

This could be very handy for people who spend a lot of time in the car.

4. nbs2 says:

Cut your tissues in half and weave them together? Why not just leave them in the original box?

Also, the story was 10 minutes old when I loaded the page. Am I really supposed to believe there are not other comments yet? I love the comment system here.

• TBGBoodler says:

I think you only have to weave the top tissue of the bottom pile with the bottom tissue of the top pile (after you’ve cut the stack in half). The rest are already woven together.

5. Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

And where would I get all these tissues?

Oh right…. buy a box of them. They come in a box dispenser already…

6. SimplyStating says:

What happened to just using the box the tissue came in? or buying those little packs they sell that fit into pretty much any small purse, console in a vehicle.. lol

7. myteebay says:

In order to make this, you have to cut the tissues in half. I can’t imagine half of a regular tissue would be of much use to me in the event of an allergy or cold.

8. ajkilroy24 says:

I think this article was just a result of Ben’s boredom kicking in…

9. There's room to move as a fry cook says:

It’s a link to a February 2007 article.

10. SPOON - now with Forkin attitude says:

I make my own half tissues with used coffee stirrers.

11. Fubish says: I don't know anything about it, but it seems to me... says:

This could be very handy for people with teeny noses.

12. cash_da_pibble says:

I know some people aren’t keen on it, but Handkerchiefs work too.
    No paper to throw away, always in your pocket and doesn’t fall apart in your hands.
    Unless you got some heavy-duty soggy blowing to do, they do the trick.

• There's room to move as a fry cook says:

I miss my 1960’s school days. Ink wells, the smell of mimeograph, looking for a dry non crusty spot on a well used hanky, and feeling the dampness on my thigh through the pocket.

• cash_da_pibble says:

That part does indeed suck.
        But if you got boogies soggy enough to run through a hankie, then I recommend something more absorbent or disposable.

• Macgyver says:

Mythbusters did an episode last on them, and they don’t work that good.

13. ffej712 says:

Some commentors are talking about just using the regular “tissue box”, but you can also buy “tissue cups” just like this! I’ve had them in my car for years! There’s no reason to make your own!

• El-Brucio says:

Yep, my local dollar store already sells them.

But just think! Your own could be Starbucks branded! The prestige of it all!

14. gparlett says:

How many tissues do people really use in the car?

15. summeroflove says:

Hellllooooo Christmas presents!!!!!

16. Cheap Sniveler: Sponsored by JustAnswer.comâ„¢ says:

Pfft. I make my own tissues at home from used tissues.

17. Macgyver says:

Isn’t this more of a story for lifehacker?

18. Scott_K. says:

I do this with empty toilet paper rolls. If you cut the tissues in half, then roll them onto the old paper tube you won’t need to by all those rolls of toilet paper any more. :)

19. StuffThingsObjects says:

Have a non-issue? Here’s half a tissue!

20. MaxH42 thinks RecordStoreToughGuy got a raw deal says:

No thanks, I’ll just stick with our current method of pocket-packs of tissues in every door pocket. That way they take about 5 seconds to replace, rather than wasting my time cutting up and weaving tissues.

21. Scoobatz says:

Tune in tomorrow when Consumerist shows you how to convert that “old” tissue box into a neat little beverage holder for your car.

22. backbroken says:

Am I the only one who had trouble parsing what the hell this article was about until the second paragraph? I was expecting some sort of lame tissue-popping-out-of-your-coffee magic trick. Also, I couldn’t for the life of me figure out why fitting in your car’s cup holder was how you made the magic happen.

23. HogwartsProfessor says:

I bought this little dispenser that goes on your car visor and holds these Tempo brand tissues that are more like paper towels. They are awesome, except they don’t make them anymore!!!

I can still use the dispenser, though. Full-sized Kleenex will fit in it. But I miss those Tempo things.