Comic Book Store Worker Takes Crazy Customer Interactions,Turns Them Into Comics

ovc2Working retail means working with the public. Working with the public means overhearing some crazy stuff. One comic book store worker took the logical next step and turned customer quotes into pithy one-panel cartoons.

(Warning: shoppers have filthy mouths. Many of the cartoons contain swear words.)

“I don’t f***ing care, Mom. I wasn’t gonna run for the bus. These are my good sweatpants!”
“Just so you know, I’m the mayor of this store on Foursquare.”

OUR VALUED CUSTOMERS (Thanks, Dan!)

Comments

1. Murbob says:

What should one expect from someone shopping at a comic book store?

About the only comment I found funny was the one about Thor’s hammer in the hospital.

2. raydee wandered off on a tangent and got lost says:

I went through their whole archive yesterday. While I have never worked at a comic shop, I have worked at a video rental shop and a regular bookstore, and I swear, we must have many customers in common.

3. Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

To be fair, this person works at a Comic Book Store! Those people, while generally lovable, probably say much wierder shit than average.

• Raekwon says:

Worst comment ever!

• catastrophegirl chooses not to fly says:

really? try this one about a bookstore:

• raydee wandered off on a tangent and got lost says:

Yeah. Typical Comic Book store customers seem to be … a bit odder than people who would hit up, say, the average Barnes & Noble. Sure, comic store customers could get some of their comics from a B&N, and weirdos tend to shop all over… but there is a reason why comic book nerds have a certain reputation. There are enough of the “creepy” kind out there to give substance to the stereotype.

Although I have several friends who are into comics, and all of them are decent, normal people who do NOT engage in extended debates over the merits of the writing and art of Amazing Spiderman vs the Fantastic Spiderman.

• cash_da_pibble says:

sometimes…
      my boyfriend and I get into strange conversations in public, just so that people that are eavesdropping will have a great story to tell in the future.
      i.e. ” You don’t wanna even THINK about eating turkey vultures, they’re the garbage men of the Natural world.”

• Applekid ┬──┬ ノ( ã‚œ-゜ノ) says:

You’ll never be satisfied with a mortal woman because the Elf Wenches are sooooo beautiful. You’ll spend the rest of your life searching for that same beauty again. [eyes dilate] Yes.

4. Echomatrix says:

good stuff!!

5. Juliedr says:

What a great idea, I wish I would have thought of that. Anyone who has worked with the public can relate. I worked in a sandwich shop as a kid, I still remember these favorite quips from customers, almost 30 years ago:

“How long is a 12 inch sub?”
    “What kind of meat comes on a turkey sub?”
    One day a lady ordered 12 hamburgers, 6 with mustard and pickle, 6 with pickle and mustard. She asked that we bag them separate so she wouldn’t get them confused…

• Hoss says:

The 2nd one sounds like a prank call by Richard and Sal on Howard Stern where they call the pizza shop asking for six pies: 2 plain, 2 cheese and 2 regular.

• Kryndar says:

“So the wild salmon… is that like from a farm somewhere?”
      No serriously I got asked that.

• Applekid ┬──┬ ノ( ã‚œ-゜ノ) says:

They’re from a pretty wild farm, actually. They do lots of coke.

• Nonbuyer says:

Yeah, we still get some of those today. I also once had a customer ask about our party breads, and she was heartbroken to learn that, in fact, we do not sell party bread as one long 6 ft piece, but rather as two 3 ft long pieces.

6. Angus99 says:

I go to a local shop once a month or so (love horror comics from the 60’s and 70’s). Once when I stopped by last year, the police were hauling two kids out – who had been obviously mixing it up. Bloody noses, etc. I raised an eyebrow to the owner, who rolled his eyes and said “Marvel vs. DC”.

7. GuyGuidoEyesSteveDaveâ„¢ says:

So Amercian Splendor, but in a comic store?

8. Toffeemama is looking for a few good Otters says:

I used to do the same thing when I worked at a movie theater. I used to do one-panel parodies of the movies too, and inside jokes about the other employees. It never occurred to me to put them on a website though; I’d just tape ‘em up in the back room.

9. yesthatsteve says:

Actsofgord.com

10. mythago says:

Best customer service rants EVER.

11. startertan says:

I’m a comic book nerd…these are simply HILARIOUS! That is all.

12. McRib wants to know if you've been saved by the Holy Clown says:

Being a card carrying nerd, those are damned funny. I snorted at the ‘Gambit should throw pokemon cards instead of real cards’.

:D

13. dolemite says:

OMG that site is hilarious.

14. grucifer says:

I am now searching out my nearest comic book store so I can hang and just witness the sloppy-ness of these folks, haha. Also, I want to pick up The Walking Dead series and read it, the show is awesome.

15. the Persistent Sound of Sensationalism says:

I so wanted to do this when I was a CNA, and write a hilarious comic based on the inane interactions I had with patients and families. Thinking about it all the time was how I kept my sanity, but alas, I don’t know the first thing about producing a comic book.

16. AllanG54 says:

And this folks is how Scott Adams became famous with Dilbert.

17. Burzmali says:

Ah, reminds me of the conversation I overheard in the office about who would win in a fight between Darth Vader and King Arthur. Supposedly, a shield from Morgan Le Fay is capable of stopping a lightsaber. This from a guy that I think had a sexual fetish for dragons.

18. 67alecto says:

Amusing stuff – I prefer the Acts of Gord, though.

19. Ecks says:

I read through this archive yesterday when it was linked at http://bleedingcool.com/ and as a long time comic book reader/collector, and also helping out at the local shop, a lot of these are more common than you think.

20. Storie says:

Yeah, this is the comic book store in my neighborhood. To be fair, this is a neighborhood filled with LOTS of, um… “local color.” Though whenever I go in, I’m so afraid of ending up on the website I don’t say anything and probably look weirder than if I just acted normal.

• Hoot says:

You’re probably the guy in the one where he asked “How are you today?” and you just stood there and stared and didn’t answer. :)

Also, I live in Boston. Where is it?

21. Ben says:

Reminds me of this webcomic called Poop Office, which are semi-autobiographical stories of life in the office (as portrayed by sentient poops).

22. hotcocoa says:

I love things like this…yay!

23. 339point4 says:

I will never understand why retailers hate the people that keep them employed. It’s a comic book store; it’s a given that the average customer will be a bit more strange than elsewhere. Frankly, mocking them seems like shooting fish in a barrel.

• HogwartsProfessor says:

Have you ever worked retail or food service? Sometimes customers can be so unbelievable you have to make fun of them, or go crazy.

• 339point4 says:

I’ve done both, and I also frequent comic book and gaming stores. I still don’t see the need for it.

24. karabekian77 says:

This reminds me of this website I stumbled upon a few days ago:

Similarly senseless, unfortunately not in comic form though :-

25. lumberg says:

This isn’t a new idea. I’ve had a blog running for a while now about my interactions with stupid customers. I turned it into an ebook, too.

Retail Ramblings – http://tinyurl.com/2gyknhu
    Or just search Retail Ramblings on google and facebook. Lots of stories and new ones added frequently.