Amazon Wants You To Read Mags on Kindles And Books Wherever You Want

In an effort to get more magazines and newspapers onto the Kindle platform, Amazon has begun offering publishers up to 70% of the revenue their periodicals bring in. To get the cash, publishers would have to make their rags available on not just Amazon’s hardware Kindle, but on the Kindle app on phones and computers. The deal could make it easier for consumers to read, say, the latest imponderable Malcolm Gladwell essay, and keep their place when moving from computer to phone to iPad. It could also undermine efforts by Apple to position the iPad as the best platform evar for periodicals.

To qualify for the new rates, publishers must make their titles available on all Kindle devices and on the Kindle applications for PCs and for Apple’s iPhone, according to Amazon. Kindle users should also be able read the title in all territories for which the publisher has distribution rights, Amazon said.

While Amazon is working to get digital magazines into your hands wherever you are, publisher Random House is out with the astounding news that publishing books digitally and on dead trees simultaneously doesn’t hurt physical sales. The latest John Grisham novel, “The Confession,” sold about 70,000 ebook editions in its first week, along with 160,000 hardcover volumes.

Grisham had previously opposed ebooks, worrying that they’d cannibalize sales at indy bookstores. Now he’s bought into the idea that he’s reaching new readers, who wouldn’t have bought the paper edition. “Hopefully there is a whole new market out there of readers buying books digitally,” he said.

Some publishers still delay their ebook editions out of concern that simultaneous launches will suppress hardcover sales. However, Grisham seems to have acknowledged the failure of that approach, after he received emails from fans who couldn’t buy digital versions of his earlier books. “As an author, that hits pretty close to home,” he said.

Amazon Gives Magazine Publishers Larger Kindle Revenue Share [PCWorld]
Same-Day E-Book Sales Propel Grisham’s Thriller [WSJ.com]

Comments

1. chaesar says:

I work for a publishing company, interesting to see if we go with this.

2. theblackdog says:

It would be great if they do this since I know I would read more magazines that way. I am actually looking at canceling my delivery of the Washington Post to my door step and going Kindle only because it will be only half of what I am paying now.

• Blueskylaw says:

Until they get everyone reading the Post on Kindle and then they will raise prices to the same level you are paying now without the physical paper in your hand.

• theblackdog says:

I won’t feel so guilty dropping the sub then. I’m having that “The delivery person is going to get less money now” guilt trip over looking at going to Kindle.

3. blanddragon says:

When Amazon stands up to publishers on ebook pricing, my Kindle will download more book. Not until then, period

4. Applekid ┬──┬ ノ( ゜-゜ノ) says:

That picture pretty much demonstrates April of this year being a red-letter month for Technological advancement. I mean, iPad and

4/12
    DOUBLE DOWN EVERY DAY

5. FrugalFreak says:

I’m for the physical book that can be resold and never disappears with a glitch versus a digital regular priced digital copy that is a license not ownership. I hate this loss of ownership that the digital media is pushing.

• FrugalFreak says:

I do support Digital newspapers since after read, they retain no value.

• Alvis says:

What about to the guy who hasn’t heard today’s news yet?

• FrugalFreak says:

it is cheap enough that one could easily buy one. newspapers generally don’t have resell or ownership value.

• FrugalFreak says:

Plus I buy used books, do we all want to be forced to end up buying new books at new prices only? I Don’t.

• Alvis says:

Why not just pirate e-books?

Used books or pirated books, the author’s not getting paid either way.

• Kryndar says:

One major difference. If someone sells a used book they might put that money towards a new book and therefor someone is getting paid for their work. With piracy no one is getting money to put towards a new book. I am aware that someone selling a used book has a very large chance of not putting the money towards another book but more than a 0% chance is still more than a 0% chance.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

What about libraries? The library buys 10 copies and I borrow it – well, my taxes have paid for the library system to sustain its purchase of books, but the author doesn’t get a dime from me or the thousands of people who will rent that book in the next years.

• Kryndar says:

Wow, have to admit I had never even though about that and now I feel stupid. But ya my feeling is that any argument towards reselling books, or console games for that matter, can be extended to anything. No second hand furniture, no second hand electronics, can’t buy anything but a new house because for second hand sales of any of those the maker is not getting any money.

• HogwartsProfessor says:

Yeah, but if you check a book out of the library and it’s by an author that you’ve never read before and you love it, you might make that author one of the ones you buy consistently. I did that with Stephen King, way back in the day. The first book of his I read was The Dead Zone and I got it from the library. Now I have every single thing and when he comes out with a new one, I buy it in hardback immediately.

Used books are the same way. Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child’s book Relic got me started on them, and it was a paperback I bought for a buck from the flea market.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

Ownership is overrated if you get most of your books from the library. I don’t have enough room for every single book I want to read, nor do I want to spend the money to buy a book I’ll only read once or twice. There are authors whose books I will consistently buy but other than that, I’m less inclined to buy a book just so I can read it.

I’ve been thinking about getting a nook, and if I do, most of the books I read on it will probably be from the library. I’ve been reading that the Adobe DRM in public library ebooks prevents Calibre from converting them to a format the Kindle will read, so I guess that’s not an option. I’m tired of lugging around multiple books on vacation or a plane, and I’m tired of not being able to read really long books on my commute because they weigh so much.

6. Destron says:

I love reading magazines on my Kindle, makes it easy to carry several with me on the go. I don’t like the fact that magazines you subscribe to can only be read on a single device.

7. pecan 3.14159265 says:

I would love to read a magazine on an iPad or Kindle. The problem is, most magazines are color and I don’t see Kindle rolling out that color display anytime soon. If you have an iPad, you can use Apple’s built in book app or you can use the Kindle app, but I don’t know if that content is going to be formatted with color.

8. framitz says:

I’m so sick and tired of seeing Kindle featured on Amazon’s site and ‘the straw that broke the camel’s back’, Amazon MP3 on my phone that I can’t prevent from running and can’t delete.

I closed my account the other day to speak with my wallet.

Amazon is DEAD to me.

9. Macgyver says:

I like reading the physical copy of newspapers. When I’m on the train or bus, I can fold it on put it in my back pocket. You can’t do that with a Kindle.
    And when you finished reading it, you can always leave it behind and let someone else read it. You can’t do that with a Kindle.

10. MaxPower says:

First, the publishers need to make better versions of the magazines they provide on the Kindle. I’ve tested a couple different magazines and they seem to be hit or miss. The Economist translates very well and they make sure to include all graphics and several pictures, including the cover. However, some other magazines haven’t gotten to that point yet and you did miss some of the enjoyment of a magazine when all you have is text.

11. Milehimama says:

Hi Consumerist and readers- I’m looking for Amazon info for a carpet bomb to the higher ups.
    Amazon is selling a How-To-Be-A-Pedophile book, and the PR response is “we’re not removing it”.
    You can see the full response and details on my website:

Does anyone have contact info? Thanks!

12. moonunitrappa says:
  13. El-Brucio says:

I’m still not sold on the format. It’s cost savings still haven’t outweighed the benefits of the actual items they are duplicating.

Aside from the durability aspects of traditional media versus the electronic version, I think what remains the biggest hurdle is that people can’t directly own the item in question – they just own the rights to view it. I like the idea that with a regular book/magazine, it’s mine to keep or give away at any time. If I really like a book or a magazine, I enjoy the ability to share it with friends, as opposed to saying “This is really good, you should buy your own electronic copy”.

• HogwartsProfessor says:

That, and you really can’t take a Kindle into the bathtub or pool with you.

• skapig says:

To be fair, Amazon just recently added a sharing feature.

Certain books stand out and are great to keep around and show off. Some types simply work better in physical form. However for most people there are tons of books and magazines that they never touch again once they have been read. The electronic form can save a lot of space in your home.