Dunkin Donuts Launches Meat Munchkins

This has been a great year for fast food innovations and Dunkin Donuts continues the “I’m broke so I’ll just take a staycation in my mouth” trend with the new Sausage Pancake Bites, aka meat munchkins.

The new concoction is a pancake ball, pre-soaked in maple syrup, and filled with sausage.

As Michael Showalter blogs, “Did you get that? The syrup is in the pancake and the sausage is in the pancake that the syrup is in too! Fuck it! Let’s all get in that pancake! It’s a pancake party!”

They’ll be sold for a limited time at participating Dunkin Donuts at 3 for $1.59 or 6 for $3.

In a statement, Dunkin’ Brands’ Executive Chef Stan Frankenthaler said, “Everyone loves a traditional pancake and sausage breakfast, but in our typical busy day it’s almost impossible to find the time it takes to sit down and enjoy it. With our new Pancake Bites, we’ve put the traditional taste of pancakes and sausage into a portable, poppable snack that you can take with you on the go, in the car, at work or any time day or night.”

Just don’t try to pay for them in pennies.

[via Gothamist]

Comments

1. Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

The closest DD is at least 60 minutes away : – (

• RandomHookup says:

In 60 minutes, I could probably get to over 50 locations.

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

That hurts, man. Really hurts.

• RandomHookup says:

On my drive home from work, I can go by 5 without any real effort, even though half my commute is freeway. There are 5 within a 20 minute walk of my house.

That’s the thing about the Boston area — we likes our DD.

• gamehendge2000 says:

Clearly you do not live in my neighborhood. I could walk to 50 DD’s in an hour.

• Grogey says:

I was going to say, how could you not have a Dunkin Donuts near you, but then again im in an area where the closest starbucks is in a B&N store.

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

Some metropolitan areas do not have a strong DD presence. In particular the health capital of the U.S., Denver/Boulder.

• You Can Call Me Al(isa) says:

The closest to me is about 40 minutes away… damn!

• mbz32190 says:

Pfft…there are at least 10 within a 5 mile radius of my house…not even joking. All seem to be run by the same middle eastern family or something. I don’t understand how they can all stay in business, and most of them are open 24 hours.

• Michaela says:

The store locator says that there are none within 50 miles of me. I don’t really mind though. I have never been to a DD, so I guess I don’t know what I am missing.

2. mergatroy6 says:

Went to DD this morning for coffee. Almost every person was ordering these.

3. jetsaredim says:

They are yummy.

4. anthem11 says:

…not gluten free.

5. billin says:

I got two orders of these this morning. They’re like maple-flavored corn dog balls with a sausage center. I like them. A lot.

• hotdogsunrise says:

I am so getting these as soon as I can. They look freaking delicious.

• MeCatLikesMeHamSanwich says:

A little bit greasy and they are not freshley made like their donuts…but man are they good. I only wished that they gave you a little bit more. But, if you eat them with a side of hashbrowns then everything is ok.

• Jerem43 says:

DD doesn’t make fresh donuts like they used to, it is all commissary based now. The trick is to get them from stores near your local commissary. In Massachusetts, it is on Route 1 half way between 495 and the Rhode Island border, so the stores in the “corner” area of the two states can have donuts that are freshest, only a couple of hours old. I’ve gotten ones that are still crispy around the edges, nummy.

The pancake bites are good but greasy, and the sausage is a bit spicy. They’re not bad.

• billin says:

Agreed re: wanting more per order, but 2 orders is still only $3, which is not bad. Tack on the hash browns and… grahhhghghghgghhhhhh (eyes roll back in head, tongue hangs out as I start drooling)

6. Muddie says:

The staff from NPR’s Wait Wait..Don’t Tell Me tested them and blogged about it:

7. JMH says:

I don’t see the big deal, it’s just a spherical (more or less) McGriddle.

8. areaman says:

They look like sausage rolls. The only thing missing is HP sauce…

9. mowz says:

Tried them. Meh.

10. npage148 says:

looking at the nutrition, they are the calorie bomb!

Nutrition Facts
    Sodium 550mg 23%
    Total Carbohydrates 23g 8%
    Dietary Fiber 1g 4%
    Sugar 7g
    Protein 7g

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

How are they the calorie bomb? 300 calories?

Seems more the fat bomb.

• npage148 says:

100 cal/bite is pretty dense. Compare to something like an English muffing/egg/cheese which has the same calories but is a lot more food and more balanced

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

It’s a pancake, drenched in syrup, wrapping a sausage. It’s high for the size, but not too crazy.

• Supes says:

Ouch. There’s a DD about a 30-second walk from my apartment, and I was thinking about getting these on the way home, but…. that’s pretty calorie heavy for a snack.

Unless 6 of them could be a meal, but judging by the pictures it doesn’t look like it.

• Hoss says:

I’m sure they’ll emphasize the zero trans fat part of this heart bomb

• Angus99 says:

To paraphrase Patton Oswalt, these are sadness nuggets wrapped in a fail blanket.

• TasteyCat says:

By comparison, a Boston Kreme donut has 310 calories. I think the nutritional value of these is fair, considering it is Dunkin Donuts.

11. lehrdude says:

Will there be a meat munchkin-flavored iced coffee coming sometime in the near future???

12. Macgyver says:

Their pancakes taste like shit.
    I’d rather go to a restaurant where they make them themselves, and not just go and reheat frozen crap.

13. Jane_Gage says:

Why not just establish a permanent line and inject lard and whale fat right into your veins, America?

14. gjones77 says:

These things are actually pretty freaking tasty, I tried them last week.

I don’t go to DD often anymore since I moved to Plymouth, MA, I have Kisskadee Coffee around the corner from me, it’s a privately owned coffee shop with WiFi and amazing coffee.

I’d rather patronize a local shop with great service and a great product than DD since they’ve gone to crap.

15. Spaceman Bill Leah says:

The SpaceToddler saw the commercial last night and said “I want to eat those.” Of course his strong affinity for corn dogs could have something to do with that.

16. Bernardo says:

OMFG I know where I’m going for my lunch break!

17. Oranges w/ Cheese says:

Is it bad that I actually WANT these? Any comment on how many calories? I think it will be too high :(

18. Blueskylaw says:

They did the work of my digestive system for me.

19. moyawyvern says:

Since I moved out of Massachusetts, it is difficult to find a decent Dunkin Donuts. Back home, you tripped over them, blinked and 3 more popped up. Here is a helpful map for those who have never been to MA. http://www.boston.com/yourtown/massfacts/snapshot_dunkin_donuts_vs_starbucks_massachusetts/

The only one near me now kinda sucks, and doesn’t have half the things the ones at home have. But I will be trekking over there to see if they have these pancake ball things. They sound awesome.

20. aloria says:

I’d like about 50 of these, please.

21. wonderkitty now has two dogs says:

These have the potential to be my new breakfast obsession; I hope DD doesn’t let me down!

22. nodaybuttoday says:

If you like these then I’d suggest finding an Original Pancake House and trying the three little pigs in a blanket… They take sausage links and wrap them in pancakes… yum

23. NotEd says:

I have tried it and official judgement is:

“Like pigs in a blanket. With sausage. And eau de syrup. And overpriced.”

On a side note the DD I went to with my SO may have had a microwave issue, as 1 out of every set of 3 was undercooked. Not frozen, just cool.
    And when I complained they gave me a another portion for free. Which also had one partially underheated.

24. packy says:

It’s mini “Pigs in a Blanket”.

25. evnmorlo says:

For their next feat they should…serve fresh donuts.

• majortom1981 says:

Depends. Most dd have fresh donuts if you go in the morning. If you go to the dd that is the kitchen for the rest you will get fresh ones.

The way dunkin donuts works is that there will be one location that bakes all the donuts and the others get them trucked in from that location .

26. Pinkbox says:

These aren’t anything new, to be honest… check out your grocer’s freezer section for Jimmy Dean’s blueberry pancakes with sausage on a stick. Yum! I think they have a chocolate chip version too (and a plain version) but I haven’t tried those yet.

27. hotcocoa says:

My husband had these last week or over the weekend or sometime not too long ago…I had a bite and thought they were great, but I’ll never buy them myself – empty calories and all that.
    And plus, I felt like I was biting into someone’s testicles, which almost ruined the experience. Or made it that much more special, I still don’t know.

28. hhole says:

“I’m broke so I’ll just take a staycation in my mouth”

Ben–Huge quote win!!!

Had me laughing for about an hour.

29. Remmy75 says:

My wife had them the other day and she called me to tell me that they were strangly addictive. She goes, i shouldnt like these, they are horrible for me. But I cant help it I am addictedt o them.

Saturday she went out that moring to go shopping with our daughter. The DD she stopped at was all out of them. The girl working the drive thru said they went thru 5 bags of them by 9 AM.

Thank god we live in the Boston area, you can’t throw a rock without hitting a Dunks.

30. selianth says:

I want them to bring back the waffle sandwiches. Sooooo good. I think I’d better stay away from Dunkins until they get rid of these things, because my waistline can’t handle discovering a new addiction.

31. NightStalker3 says:

they are good, sorta like mini corndogs!

32. BrooklynKnight says:

I’ll add my voice to the chorus, these are damned good.

33. Hi_Hello says:

WAy too pricey. I made something like this years ago. Mine was bigger and had sausage, bacon, and mushroom.

34. IMADV8 says:

Why is Consumerist advertising for Dunkin’ Donuts?

35. muzicman82 says:

They are pretty tasty, and $1.59 is pretty good I suppose. They’re more filling than they let on.

36. Willow16 says:

I just had these this morning and they were really good. Not something that I will have on a regular basis but once in a while is fine. They were $1.59 for three and $3.09 or $3.19 for six.

37. privax says:

Ordered a set of three this morning… They actually taste pretty good.. but not something I would eat consistantly or even consider throwing in my weekday breakfast rotation.

38. JulesNoctambule says:

A friend of mine used to wax rhapsodical about these things called ‘flapsticks’ (an unholy alliance of flapjacks and stick sausage) that were served in his elementary school cafeteria. I’m sure that he was at DD’s doors before they opened the day these things were launched.