Who Is The First Moron To Break His TV With The Kinect?

All those shattered TVs and cut-up hands that resulted when the Nintendo Wii first came on the scene sorta made sense. People were flailing their limbs around holding a plastic controller with a flimsy strap. But the new Kinect motion-sensing system for the Xbox 360 should have cut down on at least some of the damage done by removing the controller completely. And yet, some moron in Arizona has already ruined a perfectly good TV with his recklessness.

Over on his blog, the moronic moron writes:

A public service announcement: Do not under any circumstances play Kinect Sports Volleyball at 1:30 a.m. while standing under a ceiling fan with a dangling chain for a light switch. You could conceivably spike it into your year-old amazing TV, causing it to die with a rainbow LCD teardrop dripping down from the impact wound.

Plus you’ll lose the match by forfeit.

When reached by Consumerist for comment, the moron said, “It’s fine. If there is a time to volleyball spike the shit out of your TV it’s November.”

Yes, I Am The First Moron To Break His TV With Kinect [BecauseItoldyouso]

Comments

1. IT-Princess: I work in IT, you owe me $1 says:

Atleast he has a good sense of humor about it and isn’t trying to blame or sue Microsoft.

• jessjj347 says:

I was just going to say it’s refreshing to hear that he’s not trying to sue. People have to take responsibility for their actions at some point…and this is one of those points.

• d0x360 says:

how could he try to sue for him hitting the fan chain lol? it was one thing when wii wrist straps were breaking but there is nothing to throw here. i wish he had decided to sue just so i could laugh reading the transcripts of the court case.

• bcsus83 says:

My thoughts exactly! He’s in good spirits about it, all things considering. :)

• minjche says:

He’s also one of the writers for this website, so you’d hope he’s not overly litigious.

I smack into my ceiling fan deedly-bobs all the time, Phil. While I don’t have a broken TV (yet) I can feel your pain.

2. Sammich says:

Okay, what? I’m trying to figure out how he actually damaged the TV. Did he catch the dangling chain, ripping it off and whipping it into the TV?

3. The Upright Man says:

I guess it’s safe to say that the chain…kinected?

4. slim150 says:

it was for the best, an insignia tv? scoff scoff

• HogwartsProfessor says:

I have an Insignia desktop with a Pentium IV that I bought in 1999 and it’s still going. I can’t even believe it. When my laptop power supply croaked and I had to wait to buy a new one, it kept me from going crazy with no Internet.

• minjche says:

I’ve been rocking a P.O.S. Memorex LCD TV for 3 years now. It gets the job done and fit my college-student price range.

I for one have no problem with saving some coin on a TV. I wouldn’t buy Insignia (I got a cheap-o home theatre setup by Insignia and it broke after a few months) but I’m not against the cheap brands.

• eyesack is the boss of the DEFAMATION ZONE says:

Maybe his employer should give him a raise. Whoever that may be.

• failurate says:

Samsung or LG guts, Best Buy tag.

• DogiiKurugaa says:

Insignia is very hit or miss. Its either great quality, or horrible. My brother has had an Insignia LCD TV for about two years now and its doing great.

5. Supes says:

At least he’s aware he’s a moron for doing it. That instantly places him well-above many of the morons-in-denial that have done it with a Wii.

• thor79 says:

exactly…in fact I wouldn’t call him a moron just because of the fact that he is accepting responsibility like an upstanding adult. People screw up. He did and he was man enough to admit it…that gets him a much higher level of respect out of me than those morons who broke their TV’s flinging their wii-motes and ended up suing Nintendo.

• Clyde Barrow says:

What’s he doing on Consumerist then? Only “self-absorbed whiny”, “don’t blame me”, and “I am gonna sue” moron’s get to be here. lol.

He’s in the wrong site!

I’m gonna sue for that!

• Preyfar says:

Because the person who broke his TV… is a writer *for* Consumerist?

If Phil posted this story it would create a temporal vortex that would cause life as we know it to cease existing. You can’t blame the poster if the poster also posted the poster’s post. Reality would stop.

6. pirate_panda says:

Was Phil too embarrassed to write this up himself for Consumerist?

7. Eat The Rich -They are fat and succulent says:

Only in Arizona.

8. Bativac says:

LOL @ Phil trashing his TV and being too embarrassed to write it up himself

It’s okay, Phil. I have a good friend who, years ago, knocked over his first expensive LCD monitor onto a screwdriver. The screwdriver left a perfect impression in the screen. My friend had to sheepishly admit to his boss what happened. They agreed not to dock his pay for it in exchange for being able to bring it up whenever they wanted a laugh.

• BettyCrocker says:

That and docking someone’s pay for work related things that break is generally not legal. They can fire you for it – but not make you pay for it. At least here in CA.

• shepd says:

I believe a forced “vacation” (suspension) is the usual thing permitted, and usually for long enough it costs the employee more. And then the employee gets the choice of that, or no pay.

It’s not legal here, either, but a bunch of Police Officers in Toronto are about to get docked a day’s pay. I’m assuming because they’ll have a choice between that or being suspend for a week…

9. Joe-TFW says:

It’s no fun making fun of someone who calls himself a moron. That’s what the internet is for.

10. backinpgh says:

That’s hilarious!

11. Mom says:

In other news, don’t play with your six month old Great Dane puppy right in front of the TV. Modern TVs cannot withstand 92 pounds of uncoordinated dog.

12. DustingWhale says:

“year old amazing TV” is misleading – we’re talking about a Insignia. And its not even that big. /waawaaah

13. chaesar says:

get a brain moran!

14. moses says:

Those people deriding his insignia tv, Shut the hell up! He paid for it not you, so Shut the hell up!

15. blogger X says:

Make it rain!

16. Preyfar says:

Achievement Unlocked: Touchscreen (20G)

17. Skellbasher says:

The fact that Phil owns an Insignia brand TV should automatically preclude him from every telling anyone not to shop at Best Buy.

18. cardigan says:

More like Phil Villarrealdumbass.

19. krztov says:

lol that when posted on kotaku/gizmodo they put Phil Villareal’s name on it, on here they make it anonymous, guess when the site already hates his posts gotta hide any fodder

• minjche says:

I took it more as a playful joke/jab between co-workers.

The linked website is Phil’s blog, after all, so it’s not like it’s hidden.

20. Sian says:

Insignia?

SHUNNNNNNNNNNN

21. Arcaeris says:

Insignia? I guess Consumerist doesn’t pay a living wage if that’s the only thing he can afford…

22. rdeebee says:

Volleyball at 1:30 a.m. ? Meth is a terrible drug.

23. john2kx says:

The rainbow teardrop is beautiful…

24. Eat The Rich -They are fat and succulent says:

A good friend of mine has an Insignia brand TV and frankly, it’s pretty nice. Espc. for what he paid for it. My Samsung, OTOH died after 1 year due to the power supply capacitors being total shit. Once replaced life was good again.

• sparrowmint says:

Yeah, we had an Insignia brand tv that lasted three years and was fantastic. It’s actually still running, just at a friend’s house on the other side of the country. Now we have a Dynex that’s a year old, has had zero problems, has a ton of outputs, and looks and works great. Other people can have fun overpaying for electronics.

25. Duckula22 says:

Video games aren’t supposed to make you burn calories.

26. AngryK9 says:

RIP Phil’s TV

27. UlaniMosquito says:

Oh come on, its only an Insignia. With like 50 bucks he can buy a new one at BestBuy.

28. Destron says:

When I first got my Wii I didn’t get that wild with it because you quickly find that you can fake the movements with a jerk or a waggle. When I got Move for my PS3 though it does require you to go through the motions because it tracks the orb on the end. When I was trying archery I hit my ceiling fan and knocked the chain up in to the part that was spinning and it wrapped around and snapped :P

I had to take the fan apart to get all the little round bits from the chain out of there and replace the pull part for the light cause it broke the actual switch but its good as new :)

29. Scryer_360 says:

At least the TV he broke was a crappy Insignia.

30. buckeyegoose says:

This wouldent of happened if he had purchased Geek Squad Platinum Black Tie Protection with ArmorScreen all for the awsomely low price of 899.99, installation extra 299.99. And if you act now we’ll toss in reduced xbox kinect optimization for 49.99, it helps the lil guy get his next broken in, and includeds lifetime wd40 treatments.

31. coren says:

“flimsy strap” or “I can’t hold onto the control but later i broke the strap so it’s not my fault”? (we would also accept “i got pissed at the damn thing and threw the remote” )

32. mexifelio says:

Hmm, after reading about how you (Phil) order a drink and fries at restaurants and then lets the ice melt in your fries and goes back to complain to get free food… this just seems unusual.

Also, seems to be directing A LOT of traffic toward your ad filled blog site.

Just sayin *shrug*