OXO Spins Broken Product Into Customer Loyalty

OXO makes some cool and innovative household products that you didn’t know you needed until you see them in the store. But it’s good to know that after that surprisingly easy-to-use gadget stops working, the company will stand behind it, too. That’s what Dan learned when his salad spinner broke. They shipped a new one off to him after his first message to customer service.

I recently had trouble with an OXO Salad Spinner. Not exactly a big-budget item but it broke after only a couple months of use and I was disappointed. The first (and last) action I took was to use the web form that OXO provide on their customer service site:

“Hello, My wife and I received a large OXO Salad spinner as a wedding gift a couple of months ago. It worked great up until tonight when it broke… some of the plastic parts in the center of the top piece seem to have snapped and now it won’t spin. Anyway, we don’t have a receipt and I’m not sure where it was purchased in the first place… What should I do? Thank you for any help you can provide! Best, Dan”

Well, a couple of days later, a customer service rep named “Martha” replied; asked what specific model we had, and shipped out a new one at no cost:

“Dear Dan,

We will go ahead and ship out a replacement lid. You will receive it in about 7-10 business days via Fed Ex. Happy Spinning! “

I won’t name any names, but I’ve had major battles with national retailers in the past over shoddy workmanship and defective products. Most times, I don’t get anywhere… so this was refreshing. Thanks OXO!

Comments

1. qwickone says:

• PHRoG says:

Ditto! Got it about 8 months ago and I love the thing. Course, it took about 4 months of explaining in order to get father-in-law from using it to make potato salad! :D

• discounteggroll says:

I’ve never seen someone so excited about salad before. Seems I might have to check this out

• nbs2 says:

It’s also great for pasta or any other product that benefits from water extraction (although I would suggest you leave wet socks to the washing machine spin cycle).

• Mphone says:

I know, I am all jazzed about salad because of this comment.

• SugarMag says:

“I have this salad spinner and it is AWESOME. I didn’t even know a salad spinner could be this awesome. I eat more salad just to use it. I’ve had it for about a year and have had no problems.”

Oh my gosh! I feel the same way! I was upset I hadnt bought one earlier – all those salads I missed! (works great for fresh herbs too)

2. DanRydell says:

The numbers on my OXO measuring cups and spoons started wearing off after about a year. I didn’t bother trying to get a replacement from OXO, I just bought some stainless steel cups and spoons with numbers that can’t wear off.

OXO stuff is usually more expensive than the alternatives, but I’m not sure why.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

Nearly all of the numbers on my no-name measuring cups and spoons have worn off too. It’s just the nature of repeated washings and years of use. I don’t need the numbers, anyway. I have a set of Oxo sillicon collapsible measuring cups and the numbers are molded as part of the sillicon so there’s no way those will wear off. I also have a set of All-Clad stainless steel measuring cups that are heavy enough to be used as a weapon.

• onbehalfofthebunnies says:

I find the opposite to be true. In most cases, (except for the very poorly made things you expect to break/melt/fall apart within a year of use – those are always super cheap), OXO tends to be either the cheapest option or in the lowest couple.

Plus America’s Test Kitchen always seems to rate them highly, usually top pick or the best of the cheaper options (with explanation and demonstration so it doesn’t seem to just be a company loyalty thing) in their product reviews.

• bethanyboo says:

I paid $17 for an OXO can opener and thought it was outrageous, until I tried it out for the first time. It’s so much easier than my last can opener. Their products are pricey but worth it. I’m glad to hear that they stand behind their products.

3. pecan 3.14159265 says:

I love Oxo products. I’m an Oxo fan for life. Their spatulas are extremely tough and durable and are much, much less expensive than other brands.

4. MDSasquatch says:

“I won’t name any names, but ” I WILL

NIKE, their products are shoddy and they do not stand behind them unless you are willing to lay out MORE money to ship them back and HOPE they find a “manufacturing defect” IF they find a defect, they issue an online certificate for their site and you get to PAY ADDITIONAL shipping and taxes. In the end, you are lucky if you are allowed to PAY $20 to get replacement shoes.

Most likely, your shoes will be donated to some charity by NIKE and you will receive an “We are so sorry” letter.

Bah Humbug

• milrtime83 says:

I’ve had the opposite experience with NIKE. I had a pair of shoes with an air pocket in the heal that broke after 6-8 months. I was in a Nike Factory store looking for a new pair of shoes when I mentioned to one of the employees that it broke. He told me their shoes have a lifetime warranty (lifetime being as long as they still sell them) and replaced the broken ones with the exact same pair off the shelf.

• MDSasquatch says:

I had shoes for 6 weeks, the air pocket sprung a leak and I was told that the 30 warranty had passed and that I needed to deal with NIKE directly.

• Dirtylicious says:

Nike USED to have a great policy – any defect and they’d send you a new comparable pair, but around 2002-2003, people started to really abuse it by sending super beat up kicks b/c they simply wanted new ones. So Nike ended up changing the policy. A shame.

5. MDSasquatch says:

“I won’t name any names, but ” I WILL

Most likely, your shoes will be donated to some charity by NIKE and you will receive a “We are so sorry” letter.

Bah Humbug

6. Dover says:

“Not exactly a big-budget item…”

Have you seen what they charge for them?

7. FatLynn says:

No, nobody needs a mango splitter.

8. quirkyrachel says:

Yeah, I have an OXO travel coffee mug and a part of the top broke. I emailed them about it and they sent me a new replacement piece immediately. Thumbs up for OXO.

9. neilb says:

Awesome, that was the instigation I needed.
    I just emailed them to get a replacement screw-on top-sippy-clicky piece on my otherwise spillproof and wonderful $30 OXO coffee mug. It broke just after I had it 30 days.
    Let’s see if this was an isolated incident or if they stick by all of their products.

• neilb says:

I got this within 10 minutes of submitting an email to them about my mug lid. WOW!!!!!!

As a courtesy, I will send you a replacement lid for your travel mug. The new lids come apart for cleaning. Please follow the included instructions prior to use. Please allow 7-10 business days for delivery.
      Again, we thank you for your patronage and apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced.

10. Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

Hmmm, I had been thinking of buying this spinner too!

11. AngryK9 says:

Why does this product remind me of Vince Shlomi?

• drjayphd says:

Because you’re not going to love Vince’s nuts… you already DO. (It’s okay. We all love his nuts. Some of us just haven’t realized it yet.)

12. marblehead_ma_consumer says:

I wonder if there is some sort of unintended consequence to a company receiving positive feedback for customer service on consumerist? The Consumerist Effect?

1. Person A tells the world that the company’s customer service is great and that they shipped a repalcement part without hassle, trying to give credit where credit is due.
    2. Other people read about it and realize that they too have a product with an issue.
    3. The company’s customer service team is flooded today with requests for replacements.

I’m not sure if this is really a bad thing, or not. If they make 100 people happy today instead of just the original person, I guess they’re building a lot of loyalty. I hope poor Martha at OXO is not a team of one.

• Rena says:

It’s word of mouth. Made me think about buying one, too. Same as stories of negative experiences propagate and make people want to avoid your products, stories of positive experiences propagate and make people more likely to choose them. It’s amazing how few companies seem to know this.

13. Saltpork says:

I have this salad spinner as well. I’m extremely pleased with the few oxo products I have and have never had a single issue with any of them. I am glad to hear that the customer service is so good in case I do have issues down the road.

14. UnicornMaster says:

Love OXO. They make some of the top top kitchen utensils.

15. Luckier says:

I had an OXO tea kettle whose pour spout/flippy thing broke. I wrote to the company asking that they send me a new spout/flippy thing, figuring I could fix it. They immediately responded with an offer for a replacement kettle – sent it out to me with a return label so I could send back the old kettle. They went above-and-beyond and got a loyal customer.

16. crtjer says:

If anyone has seen the movie Objectified, one of the design companies makes Oxo products. I think from the above comments about expense, this is why. They go into a ton of design to make it the best product they possibly can. Oxo peeler wins in my book!

• Gail says:

Oh, I love my OXO peeler. A friend got one and kept going on and on about how nice it was. So, I picked one up, and gosh darn it, it is amazingly awesome.

(The salad spinner is great too, although my husband is in charge of it.)

17. Ce J says:

I can vouch for this product. My mom made fun of me when we registered for this spinner when we got married ten years ago. After she used it once at my house, she went out and bought one for herself. It is really useful for preparing salads and is worth the space it takes up in the cabinet.

Mine died a few months ago, after ten years of heavy use. It died because my husband put the basket in the bottom rack of the dishwasher and it warped. Not OXO’s problem at all. I’ve asked for a new one for Christmas because making salad without one is a pain in the rear!

18. Thyme for an edit button says:

I have an OXO peeled. Best ever.

19. Duke_Newcombe-Making children and adults as fat as pigs says:

Was this product inspired by their hit song, “Whirly Girl”?

“Lemme tell ya ’bout the girl I know/She’s been to Paris, France/And she can really dance…”

Sorry. Carry on.

20. LogicalOne says:

I had the same customer service experience as the OP. I called them up, they asked which model I had, and they sent me a replacement. They didn’t even ask when I bought it. OXO is great.

21. Keter says:

I had a microwave turntable by Nordic Ware that broke just after the return date at Target. I emailed Nordic Ware and asked for an RMA or form to make an exchange. I got an email the next day saying I didn’t need to do anything. Three days later, a package arrived with a brand new one. Kudos to Nordic Ware.

22. invisibelle says:

I’m glad to read this, because I really like their products. I hope they’re not going to be one of those companies that, as they get more popular, slowly lets their quality get worse and worse in favor of higher profits.

23. DanGarion says:

I had a very similar experience with OXO. One of our cats ripped up the gasket to a brand new OXO container we had bought. OXO didn’t had spare pieces, but the customer service rep was able to provide me with a gasket from one of the samples they had in the office.