Catch Consumerist On CBS This Sunday

UPDATE: Here’s the video!

If you’ve ever banged your head against the brick wall of calling customer service, you’re going to love CBS this Sunday at 9 am Eastern/Pacific. Check your local listings.

Right at the top of the show is “Your Call Is Not Important To Us,” all about the horror and suffering locked-to-the-flowchart call centers have wracked upon the American consumer. I got interviewed for it so you’ll see some crazy tales that first broke on Consumerist.com or we helped blow up. Go Team Fedora!

Sunday is also Daylight Savings Time where you set your clocks back an hour, so you’ll have an extra hour to get your Lucky Charms ready before the broadcast.

Sunday Morning: Up Next, Recap and Links [CBS]

Comments

1. Xin says:

woot!!

2. There's room to move as a fry cook says:

Sorry, that is going to conflict with Jon Stewart being interviewed by Chris Wallace on Fox News Sunday.

3. Clyde Barrow says:

I am definitely going to watch this.

4. Warren - aka The Piddler on the Roof says:

Is that purple thing supposed to be BoA or what?

5. gman863 says:

Even with the extra daylight savings hour, getting up by 8 AM (Central Time) on a Sunday falls under my definition of an unnatural act.

I think I’ll file this one as a TiVo moment.

6. Not Given says:

I actually woke up in time and when I turned on the VCR to adjust the time, the piece was just starting. Good job!

7. mandarynn says:

Glad to see one of my favorite sites featured on one of my favorite shows!

8. TeraGram says:

It’s 7:08am here on CA’s central coast and it is on NOW.

9. Winteridge2 says:

Just caught it-good coverage. keep it up!

10. TurdFerguson says:

No luck for me… my affiliate is running “Joel Olstean”
    That’s insult to injury.

11. succeedwithme says:

I loved the expose’. Its about time. Get in the mode to fix something and an hr later still on hold. I’m looking for a job in customer service (hope dont have to move to India to get a job). I hope 8-9 years retail experience (one yr cold calling). I live in Baltimore,MD I know there’s got to be an honest caring company out there. Thanx and good luck on your journey!!!

12. CSgal says:

Saw the feature on CBS Sunday Morning. I work in a US call center and, of course, believe American (and “multinational”) companies should bite the bullet, do their patriotic duty, and bring home those estimated 2 million outsourced customer service jobs. I’ve heard, contrary to the show’s observation, that it doesn’t cost that much less to run a call center abroad than it does here. Anyway, I’m sure no one would be surprised that call center reps are routinely admonished by their managers to keep the calls short and not to “overhelp” the callers.

13. succeedwithme says:

14. Razor512 says:

It was really good, (Just finished watching the recording)

For those who still did not see it, check here

15. nybiker says:

I don’t know how the Dr. Phil show works, so I was kinda surprised by that footnote. I am surprised that the Hammer solution didn’t get her into any sort of trouble (or maybe it did, but it wasn’t mentioned in this video [at only 8+ minutes I guess there wasn't time with all the ads during the show to mention the info]). Fortunately, google is our friend here. Comcast Hammer Lady sounds like a good search entry.
    Hey, is there any more news about Paco the dog? Sorry to say it slipped my mind.

• PsiCop says:

Mona “the Hammer” certainly did get into trouble over it.

• mikedt says:

This is why the comcast office in my area have their people behind 3 inches of bullet proof plastic.
      It’s easier to treat people like crap when you know they can’t do anything about it.

16. colorado malcontent says:

Watched it and couldn’t agree more. Last week I had my hotmail hacked. They stole not only my account, but, my password. So, I couldn’t recapture my emails and somebody in India (it was tracked by a techie neighbor) is answering my emails now. They sent out emails to all on my address book saying I was in London, stuck, and needed money. DID YOU KNOW YOU ARE ON YOUR OWN WHEN THIS HAPPENS? Hotmail has no human being that you can call and ask that your account be closed. You can email them, which I did, and request that somebody call me immediately. Nobody has called and it has been a week. I got an email address from the FBI. I reported it, however, there is a note that says they get thousands of complaints each month. No word yet. I am amazed that there is nothing anybody can do. Hopefully, my emails will be so boring that the hijackers lose interest. However, in the meantime, I have lost all my files and contacts.

17. topspin1207 says:

Hi-The real villan in consumer phone service is EBAY. They not only obscure their phone number but when you finally get it by using the word”fraud” in your complaint (they scan for key words before they will give you a phone number) you get a pin number ,valid for 15 minutes, to call them.
    Once called, they routinely make you wait 20-45 minutes. Then when the phone is answered, their agents are so poorly trained that you can get different answers to the same question. Aditionally, some of their agents who answer the phone are not authorized to handle cases that are for more than $100 so you make have to wait for the proper agent to answer- all the while risking a disconnection and having to start the process all over.
    You can rarely expect a meaningful response over the phone as they prefer to hide behind emails.
    I suggest that you get the name of anyone you speak to and call again, if you can get a valid phone number, to confirm what the first agent told you.
    Customer service over the phone at EBAY can be best characterized as “customer avoidance.”

18. PsiCop says:

In case anyone wants to know more about Mona “the Hammer” Shaw and her run-in with Comcast’s “customer no-service” (to use a Clark Howardism), here are some links:

BTW great interview Ben, even if it was a little too brief.

19. minjche says:

Very nice, glad to see the site getting some additional exposure!

20. Rackoff493 says:

Go Consumerist!!

21. Kindred Spirit says:

I was so glad to see something that actually confirmed the feelings of rage I have when I have to deal with folks who work in call centers. My most recent episode of pure rage was trying to deal with Dish Network. I was on the phone for over 4 hours, spoke to 4 call center employees and at least a half dozen “supervisors” and still was not able to order an additional receiver so my grandchildren can watch television when they come to visit me! The final “supervisor” I spoke with refused to allow me to speak with his supervisor and hung up on me. What troubles me most is I have been one of their customers for 6 years, the bill payment is automatically deducted from our checking account and no one was in the least bit concerned to keep my business. I am glad to know that I’m not the only one who has a difficult time with customer service these days.

22. quijote says:

Great interview, Ben. Think I’m gonna go watch Falling Down.