SunChips Canada To Noisy Bag Haters: Here's Free Earplugs

Unlike their lilly-livered counterparts to the south, Sun Chips Canada has decided to hold the line on their jet-engine loud biodegradable bags. Instead of caving to detractors, they’re offering them free earplugs.

“Our bag is loud, our bag is different, our bag is good for the environment, and our bag will remain on store shelves,” says the company. They’ve also launched a public awareness campaign, starting with this informational video:

Hopefully they’ll also be making a series telling people about how to make their compost piles, too. The bags advertise that they’ll break down in 9 weeks, but you’ll need a much more intense compost pile than most people have the time or care to make.

You’ll want your compost pile to preferably over 130 degrees and at least 21 cubic feet. SunChips’s instructional PDF recommends a recipe of the following to create optimal conditions:

1 part food scraps (greens)
2 parts leaves (browns)
2 parts grass (greens)
2 parts hay (browns)
1 part finished compost (a bacterial activator to start the composting process)

Still, even if you have to wait a few more months for the bag to decompose, that’s a lot faster than a traditional chip bag, which will take hundreds of years to break down, and even then will only be a fine grain of plastic dust.

Know what’s even more annoying that a noisy bag? A planet full of garbage.

SunChips to complaining consumers: ‘Yeah, compostable bag is noisy – get over it’ [Sustainable Food News]
Do Sunchips ‘compostable’ bags really decompose in a compost pile? [Examiner]

PREVIOUSLY
Were ‘Biodegradable’ Sun Chips Bags Not So Biodegradable?
Unbearably Noisy Biodegradable SunChips Bag Terminated

Comments

1. MutantMonkey says:

Long story short, Sun Chips has not declined in sales in Canada.

• narcs says:

and who eats chips directly from the bag anymore? Don’t like the noise… put the chips into a bowl, put the bag into the green bin. Little bit of noise at the start, less asking why didn’t you use common sense later.

2. StuffThingsObjects says:

I think the problem with Sunchips is that you get sick of them so quickly.

3. tanyaandkarl says:

Translation: “We are not the problem. You are the problem. Get with the program you big whiner.”
    Hownice…

• JulesNoctambule says:

Straight from the Steve Jobs Book of Customer Service!

• Mr. TheShack says:

It’s not bad customer service to not cave to every ridiculous customer whining spree. People just think of things to bitch about. Most Americans are so pessimistic about everything, and will go through great lengths to make big deals out of very minor details in life. There is too much other stuff in life to care about than harping on a crackling sun-chips bag. It crinkles. It helps the environment. I get the bag and eat some of them, and then I go about my life. It really isn’t a big deal.

• RvLeshrac says:

Translation: We understand that you think the bag is too loud. We agree, the bag is louder. Perhaps if you worried more about filling up the oceans with trash, instead of whether or not you can eat a bag of chips during your board meeting, the world would be a better place. So suck it up, fatty.

4. thereviewer says:

Good, yes the bag is loud but its worth it.

5. FenrirIII says:

When I first heard of this story I was incredibly sad that people would sacrifice the environment over noise. Seriously, we’re that apathetic about the world around us. So it’s good to hear some good news.

6. obits3 says:

“Our bag is loud, our bag is different, our bag is good for the environment…”

Maybe the Prius drivers could use these bags to warn pedestrians…

• Megladon says:

If they require earplugs… shouldnt the bag come with a warning on the packaging? Also are the earplugs made with the same chemical to make them compostable? How loud are those earplugs?

7. FatLynn says:

I loved buying these, because my boyfriend could not be sneaky about eating them as long as I was within a 5-room radius of the kitchen.

8. SimplyStating says:

Viva La Sun Chips! Or, whatever..

9. Applekid ┬──┬ ノ( ゜-゜ノ) says:

I’m working on a chip bag now that yells a wide variety of “yo momma” insults as you touch it.

10. Minj says:

The next iteration of SunChips biodegradable bags will be quiet but will cause rashes to break out on any bit of skin that touches it. You’re willing to sacrifice for the environment, right?

• pop top says:

Yes, loud noises are exactly like a skin rash.

• maubs says:

The current bags could conceivably cause skin rashes for those of us who are corn-allergic. Not that any of us would be eating corny Sun Chips, though. Increased use of Corn-based plastic is a nightmare in our world.

11. zegota says:

I know relatively little about composting, but how exactly does the average person keep a compost pile at 135 degrees? Are you seriously expected to put it in some sort of heater? If you’re in a really warm part of the country, an insulated box might work, but other than that it seems like you’d be out of luck.

12. dosdelon says:

I can already envision a short skit with a family eating sun chips with earplugs…

“Can you hear me now?”
    “What?”

13. Gravitational Eddy says:

Where’s that screenshot of that bag of “Home Girl” chips I had laying around?
    The one that’s marked “she’s all that” and “You go, girl”
    I’d post the pic but I have no idea how to make it pop up here.

Marketing, salespeople who get paid to pimp out crap.

14. dmolavi says:

don’t foam earplugs pollute as much as a “quiet” sunchip bag?

15. bsh0544 says:

I like it, even though it reminds me of Apple’s “you’re holding it wrong” response to their antenna issues.

16. Aellus says:

We had a big bag of sun chips in my office once. Only once. The bags crinkle is such a piercing high frequency that it set off the glass-break sensor in the buildings’ alarm system. The guard had to keep coming over to make sure the windows were fine.

It isn’t the volume that bothers people. Yes the bags are loud, but no one cares that they are loud. Its the high frequency of the noise that is incredibly grating and irritating. If you are old/have damaged ears and cant hear high frequencies any more, then you probably don’t understand what all the fuss is about.

• RadarOReally has got the Post-Vacation Blues says:

But why couldn’t you pour them out into a bowl or onto a paper plate? That’s what I don’t get. Have we gotten to the point where we only eat food out of the containers, thus cutting out those pesky dishes you just have to wash anyway?

• Thanatos says:

Unless you are going to eat them all that day putting them out in the open air will cause them to go stale very quickly.

17. Black Bellamy says:

One bag of Sun Chips =

1540 calories
    66 grams of fat
    1320 mgs of sodium
    22 grams of sugar

but YAY it has a some kind of a bag! Thank god the environment hurray!

18. magnetic says:

Oh my god! My biodegradable ear plugs are SOOO LOUD!

19. colorisnteverything says:

When these bags arrived at a plant where my Dad’s friend works, the men and women on the line were given ear plugs. Seriously. That’s how loud sun chips knew they were. That said, I don’t eat chips, so I don’t worry about it, but because the noise drove my little sister nuts, while she was still at home, these things were BANNED from my parent’s house. It was just far too noisy for her and my parents caved.

20. Derek Balling says:

“Their bag will remain on store shelves…”

Yep, as I pass right by it, because it’s too goddamned loud.

21. Hungry Dog says:

If you think the bag is loud, try eating the chips with earplugs or earbuds. I like to wear my IEM but when I eat I can hear every sound of mastication.

22. Kevinsky says:

They might be holding the line for now, but it will get expensive to produce the special bags only for the Canadian market. Printing in English and French is one thing, but the structure of the bag itself – sad truth is that if the US market doesn’t want it, we won’t have it for long either, unless our government passes a law demanding biodegradable chip bags, and THAT’s not going to happen under the current regime.

23. guroth says:

The trade-off is pretty clear: More noise pollution for less landfill pollution.

24. BigRobot says:

I love how the bags say 9 weeks to compost, but even their PSA states 14.

25. sk1d says:

I’m in Canada and I have to say this is typical, companies do whatever they want, Canadians complain about it, and the company tells them to screw off.

I’d like to ask Sun Chips where in Canada can I sustain a compost at 54 C for 14 weeks? In the most extreme case you might be able to get 30 C for 12 weeks out of the year. If I ate a bag of these Sun Chips right now where it’s currently 2 C outside and won’t get above 20 C for the next 6-7 months, how is this bag going to bio-degrade?

26. Megladon says:

“mmm oh these are good can i keep them?” He says after the first time ever trying his company’s product.

27. yessongs says:

Why it’s loud? Because they are more interested in the gee wiz factor of this bag vs the practicality. I have 3 words to say… Take off Eh!

28. cheezfri says:

That’s pretty funny, but are they going to give me about 20 pairs of earplugs for all the people working in cubicles around me who have to listen to that gawdawful bag while I take a quick snack break at my desk? Didn’t think so.

29. Jemaine says:

Are they really that loud? Most bags are loud unless they are made from cloth. Besides, the “regular” bags are loud enough as it is, especially when one is trying to watch TV.

30. gonzo5680 says:

I could understand the hatred for the bag if the bag was screaming at you all night.

Did anyone try pouring the chips out of the bag? Not even pour all of them, just the amount you want.

31. wellfleet says:

OMFG get a bowl, pour out desired amoutn of Sun Chips, put back away, win. This will also help with portion control (you eat more our of larger containers). Are we seriously at the point where if you can’t eat something out of a bag, you won’t eat it? For realz?

32. samandiriel says:

Frankly, I think it’s a great ad! Very funny but deadly serious too – I applaud the company taking a stand on an important issue, and being willing to address that and defend it publicly. Honestly, the trade off is more than worth it. At least from a Canadian perspective! I know I’m willing to put up with a little extra inconvenience or cost for a more environmentally friendly product. Americans don’t value that sort of environmentalism much, it would seem.

33. pot_roast says:

I wanted to gag when I read the complaints. “They’re too loud! the bag woke the BABY!”

scissors. bowl. move on to next problem…