Let This Web Site Play Shirt Matchmaker For You

Everyone has that one shirt: a shirt so wonderful, you would happily buy a dozen more like it. Maybe–just maybe–a world like that will be possible someday soon, thanks to the Shirt Fit Finder. This site compares the sizing of different brands of shirts, and finding something similar for you to buy. The bad news? Their selection of brands and sizes is terribly limited. The worse news? It only works for men’s shirts. Ah, well. Someday.

Shirt Fit Finder (via Lifehacker)

Comments

1. obits3 says:

Yes. Soon my closet will look just like Doug’s.

2. MattSaintCool says:

H&M medium slim fit shirts fit me well. I punched that in this thing and… it suggests H&M medium slim fit shirts. That was useful.

• Kitten Mittens says:

Brooks Brothers Slim Fit fits me well – and that was their suggestion, too. Not sure there is any utility of this site if it only tells me the input I gave it.

3. marciepooh says:

Well, only men’s shirts is OK. To consistently get long enough sleeves I’ve about decided to only buy men’s shirts and alter them.

4. Segador says:

I can think of exactly two reasons why this only works for men’s shirts.

5. BuddhaLite says:

Sounds like a cool idea if you want to buy a $300 Burberry shirt. How about something in the $50 range or less.

• BurtReynolds says:

Tyrwhitt isn’t hard to find at 50% off, which puts quite a few of their shirts below $50. I’ve come across Brooks Brothers sales that put shirts under $50 as well.

6. Snarkster says:

I’ve no experience with them, but Lands End makes custom dress shirts for $65–about twice what I paid to have mine make in Hong Kong–not including airfare.

• Me - now with more humidity says:

And the LE shorts wear forever with proper laundering (heavy starch fan here).

• bee8boo8bop8 says:

Lands End is the best place to buy my husband’s 17.5″x32″ dress shirts, and even then I have to take him to a tailor, because he’s not fat, he just has a freakishly big neck. Their return policy is amazing too.

7. Me - now with more humidity says:

It’s a BS list. No Land’s End. No Jos A. Bank. No LL Bean. And no big-and-tall.

If you’re only listing those who pay you, say so.

8. RickScarf says:

Another Land’s End devotee here, disappointed they weren’t in the pulldown options.
    I love me some Land’s End dress shirts, got a closet full of them.

9. packcamera says:

Pardon my faux-pas, but aren’t dress shirts sold by neck & sleeve sizes? I just went through about 45 or so shirts I own and don’t see one marked small, medium or large etc. Sometimes there torso variants like modern fit or athletic cut, but that is it. Am I missing something or are these really casual shirts? Why would you buy an expensive luxury brand dress shirt that wasn’t properly fitted. Unlike shoes, men’s dress shirt sizing is pretty standardized; a 15 1/2 collar of one brand is practically the same as a 15 1/2 of any other brand. As this “handy” utility shows, no such standard exists in the S, M, L domain.

10. H3ion says:

LL Bean isn’t on the list. I’ve been buying their dress shirts in the same size for a lot of years and they are always consistent. Brooks Brothers sells nice shirts but at about twice the price.

• BurtReynolds says:

For button down collars, LL Bean is great. Unfortunately they don’t sell “trim” fit shirts with a spread collar.

11. Nick says:

I found a couple of button down shirts on sale for $20 at L.L.Bean last year. Slim cut, stripes, checks, cotton; they put my Pink shirts to shame and are treading on Seize sur Vingt territory. There’s a difference in quality but not enough to stop compliments from the Prada brigade.

12. Coelacanth says:

Is it just me, or does the search feature not seem to work?

13. BurtReynolds says:

I think I will just go custom with my next shirt “refresh”. I am a small guy, and my “perfect” shirt doesn’t seem to exist any more (Brooks Brothers Slim Fit Non-Iron “Stretch”). The “regular” BB slim fit in the same size was gigantic on me. Jos. A Bank’s tailored fit in 14.5/32 is tight in the neck. 15/32 is too roomy all around. Banana Republic’s non-iron slim fit in small fits pretty well, but there is a limited number of options. Banana’s non-iron classic fit in small is a bit roomy.

So I think I’ll just get measured and try one of the many websites that offer made to order shirts, or a place like Tyrwhitt that does it as well.

14. SagarikaLumos says:

Polo Ralph Lauren isn’t on the list, but is my preferred shirt.

15. Hands says:

Since I work out of the house my wardrobe is mostly made up of free T shirts I get every time I give blood. I get six new shirts a year which is more than I ever actually bought for myself.

16. halfcuban says:

In fact I used a similar service just the other day; I walked into a menswear store, had a fleshy human like person measure me, picked the colors and fabrics out of a book, and voila! three days later shirts in a box at the store!