It's Sort Of Like A Flowbee For Dogs, Except Not

My dog thinks that I’m always looking for new and innovative ways to torture her, such as toothbrushes, ear drops, and baths. She should be grateful that I don’t have a Dyson vacuum, since the company is launching a carefully designed pet-vacuuming attachment, which will go on sale in the U.S. in January 2011.

Yes, you can use it on cats, if your cat will allow you to survive the experience. Sure, you can vacuum your pet with the regular attachments, but do they come with retractable bristles? They do not. But the groom tool does, which makes it 100% brushier.

Dyson groom tool [Official Site] (via Gizmodo)

Comments

1. obits3 says:

I guess it’s better than putting your cat in the dishwasher ;)

2. Oranges w/ Cheese says:

HAHAHA. My cats run at the SIGHT of the vacuum, I can’t imagine trying to brush them with this LOL.

• TouchMyMonkey says:

Beat me to it. Most dogs and cats are terrified of the vacuum cleaner. They run and hide at the sight of it. It makes a lot of noise and it hurts their sensitive ears – good for hunting, bad for tolerating a lot of household noise.

• Kimaroo - 100% Pure Natural Kitteh says:

Both of mine do as well, they are terrified before it even comes on.

3. Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

Looking at the picture, I think they DO come with retractable bristles, Laura.

4. Bohemian says:

I might even think about buying a Dyson just to use the optional attachment. We already use a comb and shop vac to comb out our dogs. They are northern breeds that blow out their undercoat twice a year so the spew a ton of hair. This would just make it easier to do. They do need a hose extension so you don’t have the vac right next to the dog.

• Urgleglurk says:

Sounds like you have Shelties? :-D
      We have four and I’m willing to try this attachment for our Dyson.

5. Angus99 says:

Interesting – our cats can’t stand the vacuum because of the noise; this looks like a cool attachment, but we’d really need something that operates quietly to avoid a blood bath. Right now, they’d run just as hard when we start our Dyson with this attachment. Cool design though, which is no surprise from this company.

6. WiglyWorm must cease and decist says:

Back when I had a dog, he looooooooooved being vacuumed.

Back when I had a dog, I haaaaaated the mess brushing out his undercoat created.

I like this invention. Now if only I had a dyson…

7. jesirose says:

My Bissel came with this a year ago.

We never use it. It’s ridiculous. It’s easy enough to groom the dogs without the added noise of the vacuum.

8. Me - now with more humidity says:

I love how they call these “deshedding devices.” It’s a brush dammit!

9. aloria says:

I’d try this. My French Bulldog sheds a LOT. Using a furminator takes forever to get all the hair out, plus then there are little tufts of hair floating about everywhere and stuck to my clothes. Combining a brush and vacuum would reduce clean up, and hopefully make the job go faster.

None of my pets are scared of traditional push vacuums because they can tell that I’m steering it. They LOATHE the roomba, though.

10. crazedhare says:

OMG OMG OMG. I have the Dyson vacuum for homes with a lot of pet hair – I have a big big dog not with long hair but who is a year round shedder. He trembles when I blow dry my own hair, but he’s so easily teachable that I could probably get him to accept it in a couple of days. I can’t waaiiiit!

(PS, I love my Dyson. I wish Dyson made EVERYTHING.)

11. Julia789 says:

Years ago when I had a horse, she LOVED the dirt devil vacuum with the spinning brush attachment. She’d lean into it and rub against it, and sigh.

It was great, the spinning brushes got so much hair and dirt out.

12. ArcanaJ says:

Oh, my stars and garters… I WANT ONE. Seriously, I sweep and vacuum up enough dog hair on the average week to knit a whole new dog.

• aloria says:

There are actually companies that will take bags of pet hair and wash and spin it into yarn for you. I might do it someday because it would be a super special level of ironic to have my dog wear a sweater made out of his own fur.

13. Dave Farquhar says:

I think my dog would have a nervous breakdown if I got within 3 feet of her with that thing. She’ll literally attack the vacuum cleaner if we don’t put her in her crate when we vacuum. I’m talking growl, pounce, and bite.

14. Anonymously says:

Does it come with a 50ft hose so I can have the vacuum in another, sound proofed room?

15. Running_Fool says:

Do they have a wet mop attachment? Seriously, my dog will pee all over if you get too close to him with the vacuum.

16. Clyde Barrow says:

lol,,,my cat allows me to vacuum him with the hose and brush attachment. As long as I hold him and make him feel “ok”, he’ll lie on the floor and I’ll do the job. And he seems to like the brush running up and down his belly.

17. GenXCub says:

A Dyson? Why I’ve always wanted to pay $400 for a pet groomer…

18. deleted2 says:

I grew up with a cat that loved to be vacuumed. My mother would start up the old hoover and that cat would come running.
    He’d flop down right in front of the wand, just to make sure Mom didn’t forget.

19. ogremustcrush says:

I made a ghetto version of this years ago. I just duct taped a dog brush to the nozzle of a shop vac. Worked well enough for me, although the dog didn’t care for the noise much.

20. SugarMag says:

I vacuumed one cat with just the hose. He liked it.

Another cat…not so much, but, once she went deaf she tolerated it.

I hate to vacuum no matter the gadgets I use.

21. BytheSea says:

Ride to hospital in 3… 2…

22. elliemae says:

I find it ironic that Dyson has come out with a pet hair attachment, considering my vacuum recently began gathering hair in the belt department which results in the vacuum overheating and shutting down.

Due to the gathering hair around the belt, I’m forced to pick the hair out of the compartment for a half-hour session before every use. I called Dyson and was referred to the local warranty shop, where the repairman/owner belittled me and accused me of purposely ruining my vacuum. He refused to look at it but insisted that there is nothing wrong with it.

I wrote an email to Dyson but haven’t received a reply back. IMHO they’re so busy trying to invent and sell that they don’t value their customers, nor do they support their products. I not only will never buy another Dyson product, but I’m also passing the word about both Dyson and the repair shop. I wasted hundreds on a product that only cleans if the floor is already clean and the company comes up with a pet hair product?

Laughable. I’d like my $300 back, please.