Does "Slurpee Summit" Hype Make You Crave Frozen Sugar Water?

Thanks to President Obama’s off-the-cuff comment that he’d like to hold a “Slurpee Summit” with Republican leaders, the 7-Eleven drink is suddenly up there with the McRib and Double Down as a cool guilty pleasure for discerning fast-foodies. What about you? Are you craving Wicked Apple, Kratos Fury, Invincible Orange, or one of 7-Eleven’s other heavily branded mashups of sugar, water and slushed ice?

Whether or not you like Slurpees, the summit may be a fait accompli. According to USA Today, 7-Eleven is lobbying hard. “If the president wants a Slurpee Summit, we’re offering to cater it with red and blue Slurpees — and we’ll even offer a purple Slurpee, since that’s what you get when you bring red and blue together,” said spokeswoman Margaret Chabris.

Obama’s ‘Slurpee Summit’ joke makes icy drink hot [USATODAY.com]

Comments

1. gparlett says:

Last summer, sure, but right now it’s way too cold for a Slurpee.

2. AllanG54 says:

Hell.. they could get some blizzards from Dairy Queen. At least they have some nutritional value besides all those calories.

3. obits3 says:

That’s cold Mr. President, real cold…

4. Nighthawke says:

The cooks probably have a granita machine down in the kitchen just for such occasions. It’s the same as the Slurpee, just a slightly different process.

5. Im Just Saying says:

There is only one Slurpee flavor and it is comprised of the lesser flavors Coca-Cola and Wild Cherry. All others are found wanting.

• cash_da_pibble says:

I agree. Coke and Wild Cherry. and that’s it. Maybe a bit of Pina Colada if I’m feeling punchy.

6. Back to waiting, but I did get a cute dragon ear cuff says:

I had to go with WTF. Maybe back in Chicago, Slurpees are year round kind of things, but here in DC it was 31 with a high of about 50 today and not what we consider Slurpee weather.

Now, maybe a Ben’s Chili Bowl Summit would work in this weather. No, not trying to start a Chili flame war, just going with a local, down home place to have this meeting.

Of course, being a 5th generation Washingtonian, I expect that the usable result from any summit will be about the equivalent to the positive nutritional value of either a Slurpee or a Chili Dog from Ben’s, so they are appropriate venues.

• FatLynn says:

Chicago laughs at your definition of cold weather.

• Back to waiting, but I did get a cute dragon ear cuff says:

Oh yeah?? Well we laugh at your definition of Politics. Oh, wait, never mind.

• OnePumpChump says:

Pussy.

• Back to waiting, but I did get a cute dragon ear cuff says:

Look, I am not saying that this is cold. Heck, I am wearing a short sleeve polo shirt and only wore a jacket for the rain.

Just that Slurpees around here are summer drinks for when it is 90+ with humidity at 110%, not a cooler (NOT COLD) fall type of drink.

• BurtReynolds says:

My beef is more with the rain today in Arlington than the cold, but I also grew up in Syracuse, NY, so I laugh at this area’s definition of winter and snow.

7. teke367 says:

I get the whole “red, blue or purple thing.” But c’mon 7-11, its the President, offer some more flavors.

I’d like to see the President hold a Happy Meal Meeting in San Francisco preferably though.

8. mister_roboto says:

You know… I actually crave these year ’round, and kind of drink them more in the winter. My guilty pleasure.

9. Alvis says:

Another post by the mystery author?

10. Pooterfish says:

Yeah, that Beer Summit sure accomplished a lot.

11. ellemdee says:

Pina Colada Slurpee. Even better if they also have Banana and I can mix the two. Yum.

12. aloria says:

You put some rum or vodka in those slurpees and you got yourself a PARTY IN A CUP, baby.

13. !caybay says:

I am from the Slurpee Capital of the World 11 years running! It’s always time for a slurpee. Local tradition: getting slurpees on that crazy day when it hits -50C with the wind chill. Never too cold (and we know cold). There’s also something special about them here, I’ve travelled the world and they just don’t taste as good anywhere else.

• !caybay says:

Also, favourite combination is Dr. Pepper and Cream Soda. I’ll put come Coke in it, and a dash of whatever other flavour seems interesting

14. OnePumpChump says:

Double Downs and McRibs will be served at the Slurpee Summit. Also Baconators, and Meatnormous Omelet Sandwiches.

15. Sure I could agree with you, but then we'd BOTH be wrong. says:

Just keep them away from the Jocks on “Glee”

16. chocobo says:

I was literally taking a sip from my Slurpee when I clicked on this link and read the story. If only there was a poll option for “I have one in my hands right now”, I could feel so special and unique.

17. Mamudoon says:

Just give me a plain ol’ Coke or Pepsi slurpie. And for the love of all that is holy, make sure the bloody machine is working!!!

• chocobo says:

Seriously, what is it with these machines? Fortunately the 7/11s I’ve been to seem to keep theirs in working order.

They also sell them under different names at Sheetz, Wawa, and Sams Club… I can never buy one though, because the machines are ALWAYS broken. I’ve only ever seen the Sheetz ones working.

• Rottenjunk says:

The one at my 7-eleven is often broken because the machine is from at least the 70s.

Just a few weeks ago it tried to catch on fire and my boss told me to turn it back on. That was fun.

18. MrEvil says:

I can’t wait for Mountain Dew White-out slurpees to hit 7-11 after the first of the year.

19. Alex Brewer says:

God dammit now I need to go buy one right now despite it being 1am…